Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 27, 2010 8:58 AM

May 2008
smokes said:

that doesnt matter actually. well the battles at first are boring, this is actually at All shounen.. they it becomes more serious and intense as they improve their powers and such.

-Freedom_Gunboy- said:
It is how and why they fight that matters, the result doesn't really matter since everyone knows that main chars won't die(after all it's a shounen). And as for excitement factor, once one piece battles become intense, the feelings that the chars put into fighting become so intense that one watching can't help but be excited, IMO.

Perhaps I need to watch more OP. I don't expect consequences from shounen battles so I can't get into shounen as much as I used to. They're just too predictable.
Jan 27, 2010 9:44 AM

Feb 2005
Splitter said:
Defeat is much more involving than the simple death of a character, because the character then must live with knowing he is weak in a world where he cannot afford to be weak.
But defeat seldom mean anything either way, as the looser will just go back to grind some dozen levels and gain a new superskill to win next time. Sure, if someone was utterly defeated and, say, lost his arms or something and would be a cripple for the rest of his life, then that would be another matter entirely.
Jan 27, 2010 10:42 AM

Aug 2007
Why the hell do people call something like TTGL shounen? It's obviously not.
Jan 27, 2010 11:22 AM

Jun 2008
-Freedom_Gunboy- said:
stupidfreak said:
I can't get into OP because the fights aren't exciting at all. I never worry about the characters because they will always win or survive. Injuries don't matter at all because they just need to slap on some bandages and the character is as good as new. The fights just don't have much impact or excitement because there are no consequences for the main characters.

It is how and why they fight that matters, the result doesn't really matter since everyone knows that main chars won't die(after all it's a shounen). And as for excitement factor, once one piece battles become intense, the feelings that the chars put into fighting become so intense that one watching can't help but be excited, IMO.
How, I get. Since it's fun to see an unique system of combat that I've never witnessed before (it's actually why I watch Shounen at all, even though I don't watch any anime anymore). As for why, they pretty much have the same viewpoint everytime (so I personally don't find it very interesting, if at all). It's either "for my friends" or "for myself" or "for my family" or whatever nonsense that people want to shed blood for.
Jan 27, 2010 11:28 AM

Apr 2009
Tachii said:
As for why, they pretty much have the same viewpoint everytime (so I personally don't find it very interesting, if at all). It's either "for my friends" or "for myself" or "for my family" or whatever nonsense that people want to shed blood for.

lol, every action anime has this theme.. protecting others or fighting for betrayal etc..
the thing is how they show the fights and imagination of the author..
Jan 27, 2010 11:47 AM

Aug 2009
smokes said:
Tachii said:
As for why, they pretty much have the same viewpoint everytime (so I personally don't find it very interesting, if at all). It's either "for my friends" or "for myself" or "for my family" or whatever nonsense that people want to shed blood for.

lol, every action anime has this theme.. protecting others or fighting for betrayal etc..
the thing is how they show the fights and imagination of the author..

Exactly. The enjoyment of shounen battles comes from how they show the fights. As for the reasons, ya most anime, if not all, have the same theme, protecting someone or sth important. So, basically thats not the shounen's fault. However, I can understand that one might get bored watching long running shounens with repetitive themes if one doesn't enjoy the fights themselves.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Jan 27, 2010 12:40 PM

May 2008
Even while drunk I ask you, why should it matter? Childish or not, entertainment is entertainment and if you enjoy it what is the harm in that? Is the will of the collective known as society so great a presence that it should alter how you perceive something? If you like something you do, if you don't you don't, but trying to justify emotion in logical terms is not something you should ask others to do for you.
Jan 27, 2010 1:03 PM

Jun 2008
Are you really drunk or are you just saying you're drunk?
Jan 27, 2010 1:23 PM

May 2008
Tachii said:
Are you really drunk or are you just saying you're drunk?

I'm so drunk that I was contemplating deleting such an unsightly post, but have decided not to for the time being.
Jan 27, 2010 4:43 PM

Dec 2009
MRS_FUTOSHI said:

i love super powers and comedy xD

That is why One Piece = Win =)
Jan 27, 2010 4:45 PM

Jan 2010
Of course they are kiddy. Shounen animes are targetted for a young male audience (8-15 I'm assuming).
Jan 27, 2010 4:55 PM

Dec 2007
ladyxzeus said:
My 7 year old godson loved it, and he can't read subtitles.

So yeah, I guess it's kiddy.

But he also loves NGE.

Ah, and he will also dress up as a Blaziken for Mardi Gras.

Kiddy anime is not bad. Is good. They make kids more amazing.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 28, 2010 12:35 AM

Apr 2009
Kamehamayhem said:
Of course they are kiddy. Shounen animes are targetted for a young male audience (8-15 I'm assuming).

/fail.
till 18.
seinen 18-30
Jan 28, 2010 12:48 AM

Nov 2009
So ur saying that animes like Fullmetal Alchemist,City Hunter are aimed for kids!!!!
Jan 28, 2010 1:15 AM

Aug 2007
smokes said:
Kamehamayhem said:

/fail.
till 18.
seinen 18-30

Not true at all. Shounen are aimed at kids about 7-13 years old.
Jan 28, 2010 1:27 AM

Dec 2007
Cloud767 said:
So ur saying that animes like Fullmetal Alchemist,City Hunter are aimed for kids!!!!

Yes, why not. They watch it, they don't need to understand it. I own one, I know how it is.
Jan 28, 2010 1:36 AM

Nov 2009
As for City Hunter kids watch it to learn about Mokkori stuff so it's a fact that aside from Sazae-san and Maroko kiddy animes like One Piece and Dragon ball are the most popular shows in Japan with One Piece dominating the manga world in term of numbers
Jan 28, 2010 1:41 AM

Dec 2007
Cloud767 said:
As for City Hunter kids watch it to learn about Mokkori stuff so it's a fact that aside from Sazae-san and Maroko kiddy animes like One Piece and Dragon ball are the most popular shows in Japan with One Piece dominating the manga world in term of numbers

According to this week, is Tenjou Tengue and Kimi no Todoke instead.
ladyxzeusJan 28, 2010 11:09 AM
Jan 28, 2010 1:44 AM

Nov 2009
Kimi no Todoke is for kids right after all it's aimed at little girls :P
Jan 28, 2010 5:20 AM

Apr 2009
@ladyxseus you really dont know how the manga ratings works x)
kimi no todoke is also for little girls)
Jan 28, 2010 5:48 AM

Apr 2009
smokes said:
there are far more serious moments in 'the big 3' shows..
like the human auction in onepiece, dramatic deaths in naruto ( good characters)
or many other 'mature' moments
http://i46.tinypic.com/r0p2yp.jpg etc etc..

spoiler warning for that pic please. So far, I agree with you.

smokes said:
shounen is not for kids.. its just avoid 'adult' content unlike seinen...
Until right there. you do know what the word shounen means do you? The genre isn't called shounen for no reason..
Jan 28, 2010 6:09 AM

Nov 2009
Jaapsneep said:
smokes said:
there are far more serious moments in 'the big 3' shows..
like the human auction in onepiece, dramatic deaths in naruto ( good characters)
or many other 'mature' moments
http://i46.tinypic.com/r0p2yp.jpg etc etc..

spoiler warning for that pic please. So far, I agree with you.

smokes said:
shounen is not for kids.. its just avoid 'adult' content unlike seinen...
Until right there. you do know what the word shounen means do you? The genre isn't called shounen for no reason..
It doesn't mean kids too
Jan 28, 2010 6:20 AM

Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
smokes said:
Kamehamayhem said:

/fail.
till 18.
seinen 18-30

Shounen manga is typically targeted at males aged between 10 and 18, surely its the same for shounen anime?
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jan 28, 2010 6:24 AM

Oct 2009
What matters more is who watches it, not the age group it's aimed at...
Jan 28, 2010 6:26 AM

Nov 2009
ironflowers said:
True otherwise the anime world would be ruled by kids :P
Jan 28, 2010 7:13 AM

Feb 2009
Cloud767 said:
ironflowers said:

If you're watching wrestling, you'll probably see some similarities.

Jan 28, 2010 7:18 AM

Nov 2009
Sakuma said:
Cloud767 said:
ironflowers said:

If you're watching wrestling, you'll probably see some similarities.
Like?
Jan 28, 2010 9:13 AM

Aug 2007
Touka said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
smokes said:
Kamehamayhem said:

/fail.
till 18.
seinen 18-30

Shounen manga is typically targeted at males aged between 10 and 18, surely its the same for shounen anime?

Shounen is usually referred to as young boy. Not young boy and teens.
Jan 28, 2010 9:17 AM

Oct 2009
Wikipedia to the rescue.

According to Japanese law, the term "shonen" refers to "a person from the time they enter elementary school until the time they are 18 years of age" (Child Welfare Laws (児童福祉法, Jidō Fukushi Hō?), Article 4.3), and "Any person who has not reached the age of 20 years" (Juvenile Law (少年法, Shonen Hō?), Article 2.1). In the realm of education and culture, this is the period of compulsory education. While the term "shonen" can refer to both young males and young females, the generally accepted term for young females is shōjo.
Jan 28, 2010 9:42 AM

Aug 2007
ironflowers said:
Wikipedia to the rescue.

According to Japanese law, the term "shonen" refers to "a person from the time they enter elementary school until the time they are 18 years of age" (Child Welfare Laws (児童福祉法, Jidō Fukushi Hō?), Article 4.3), and "Any person who has not reached the age of 20 years" (Juvenile Law (少年法, Shonen Hō?), Article 2.1). In the realm of education and culture, this is the period of compulsory education. While the term "shonen" can refer to both young males and young females, the generally accepted term for young females is shōjo.

lol Wikipedia. Thank you come again.
Jan 28, 2010 11:10 AM

Dec 2007
smokes said:
@ladyxseus you really dont know how the manga ratings works x)
kimi no todoke is also for little girls)

The comment was simply because "omg One Piece is at the top". And it isn't. It has no relation to anything else.

And I like stuff for kids. Especially when they are pseudo-gory.
Jan 28, 2010 12:03 PM

Apr 2009
@ladyxzeus you definitely dont know how that weekly manga ratings work dont you ?
its because op didnt release the volume in that week. lmao.
ps you told that many times.. stop trolling o_O
Jan 28, 2010 2:06 PM

Feb 2008
Yes. They are too kiddy.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jan 28, 2010 4:10 PM

Dec 2007
smokes said:
@ladyxzeus you definitely dont know how that weekly manga ratings work dont you ?
its because op didnt release the volume in that week. lmao.
ps you told that many times.. stop trolling o_O

Stop writing.

And I know how they work, there is nothing mysterious about them. I am simply making a statement, if it's so hard to accept it go away.

(oh and btw, my 5 year old half-sister likes Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Baman, don't cry.)
Jan 28, 2010 5:17 PM

Feb 2005
ladyxzeus said:
(oh and btw, my 5 year old half-sister likes Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Baman, don't cry.)
I-I...
Your half sister must be a discerning young lady of impeccable taste.
Jan 28, 2010 5:40 PM

Jun 2008
Baman said:
ladyxzeus said:
I-I...
Are you... possibly coming on to her sister? Oh you.
Jan 28, 2010 6:11 PM

Dec 2007
Tachii said:
Baman said:
ladyxzeus said:
I-I...
Are you... possibly coming on to her sister? Oh you.

Sorry to disappoint you, she also likes the disney princesses. But I have great hopes and expectations, as she pays more attention to exploding spaceships than characters talking to each other. And just for you guys to d'awwwww, she distinguishes the characters the following way: Reinhard is the prince, Mittermeyer is the good knight, Oberstein is the bad guy; everyone in the Alliance is the good guys, being Julian Minci the main character (I wonder why she thinks this). Yang Wenli is the Chinese man.

We hold great discussions on this and fairy dresses.
Jan 28, 2010 6:12 PM
Sep 2007
Asako said:
Fairy Tail might be kiddy, but it's still highly entertaining. Enjoying it more than I ever did Naruto, Bleach or One Piece. Probably all of them combined still aren't as awesome as Fairy Tail is.

Fairy Tail being more awesome then One Piece, now I have to watch it. I have read the manga and the last two arcs have been not that good, crappy really.
Hi
Jan 28, 2010 6:25 PM

Jun 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Sorry to disappoint you, she also likes the disney princesses. But I have great hopes and expectations, as she pays more attention to exploding spaceships than characters talking to each other. And just for you guys to d'awwwww, she distinguishes the characters the following way: Reinhard is the prince, Mittermeyer is the good knight, Oberstein is the bad guy; everyone in the Alliance is the good guys, being Julian Minci the main character (I wonder why she thinks this). Yang Wenli is the Chinese man.

How coincidental. Exactly along the lines of how I thought when I was watching the show. Except I didn't go as far as putting Julian as the main character, and addressed Yang Wenli as the perfect Chinese role model.
Jan 29, 2010 4:08 PM

Jun 2009
Nothing's too kiddy as long as it's something you yourself enjoy
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Jan 29, 2010 4:13 PM

Dec 2007
Tachii said:
ladyxzeus said:

How coincidental. Exactly along the lines of how I thought when I was watching the show. Except I didn't go as far as putting Julian as the main character, and addressed Yang Wenli as the perfect Chinese role model.

I think it was because she started watching it when Julian & Company went to Earth. Notice that she can't read the subtitles, so she is not really aware what the story is about. :3
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

92 by Timeline_man »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

225 by EverRealm »»
6 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

90 by CaptainKenshiro »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

18 by RumpelstiltskinX »»
41 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 1 hour ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.