Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2016 3:33 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First 30 seconds or so after the OP were disappointing - only saw Hawlucha's last move which takes out Mega Absol. Was good to see Shauna arrive at the league to watch.

Luckily enough we got the full battle, albeit a 3 vs 3 between Shota and Tierno.
Some nice strategies used - Tierno got Blastoise to use Rain Dance before it got knocked out - for when he choose Raichu. Of course, he had no idea Mega-Sceptile's ability was Lightning Rod.
Shota's smug face XD

We've got to the final 4! Alain, Remo, Ash and Shota.

Aaand of course, Ash's 6th is

No preview either ;_;
Edit: There is a preview, though only shown on another site.
SandyBoiJul 7, 2016 8:17 AM
Jul 7, 2016 8:09 AM

May 2009
Is it true that there's a break next week? ._.
Jul 7, 2016 8:16 AM

Jul 2013
Shoryuuken said:

Yes it's true. I think one of the Pokemon movies will be airing instead. The Hoopa one.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/XY127
Broadcast date for the episode is July 21st.

Ought to make a correction too: There is a preview, although it wasn't shown when I was watching it.
Jul 7, 2016 8:40 AM

Jul 2008
Shoryuuken said:

Serebii notes that next week is a break yeah.

Anyway nice to see Ash get revenge on that Mega absol, bonus points for it being done by a Non mega evovled mon but gah!!!! Just one move ? and we didnt even see who the trainers used, for all we know it was a sweep or a Grenninja lose o-o!!

Tierno vs Shota though delivered the goods. Good use of strategy and non attacking moves. Rain Dance to make use of abilities not only the bonus power on water moves ? Sword dance and Attract ? Yes please. Lighting rod to check Raichu was just briliant.
Still my complaint about that match was the dig situation.
We all know dig ALWAYS HITS FROM BELOW, why are they always so damned surprised... Plus we saw Aegislash levitating to do his Sword dance XD Why were you hovering in place near the ground XD

Goodra is member 6 huh, expected but i'm glad they flashbacked to the conversation between him and Ash. Ash did memtion calling Prof Oak. Wonder who he would have taken if Goodra was a no go.

Cough Pidgeot cough. I know shut up, HE WILL RETURN!!!!
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 8, 2016 12:06 AM

Jan 2016
This has to be the fastest Pokemon league ever xD We were used to see Ash's battles gradually and not skipping them from the initial ones to semifinals. But at least we're introduced to the semifinals, 6 vs 6... It's going to be intense for sure.

About the Tierno vs Shota battle, it was very well done how they managed their strategies. The way Shota surprised Raichu's Thunder with Mega-Sceptile's Lightning Rod was epic, so much electric charge for nothing xD

Punkbeetle said:
We all know dig ALWAYS HITS FROM BELOW, why are they always so damned surprised... Plus we saw Aegislash levitating to do his Sword dance XD Why were you hovering in place near the ground XD

If we go by that, how did Ludicolo to charge the Solar Beam so fast during rainy weather? lol
THANKS SENPIEX
Jul 8, 2016 12:54 AM

Jul 2008
Floyd_ said:
This has to be the fastest Pokemon league ever xD We were used to see Ash's battles gradually and not skipping them from the initial ones to semifinals. But at least we're introduced to the semifinals, 6 vs 6... It's going to be intense for sure.

About the Tierno vs Shota battle, it was very well done how they managed their strategies. The way Shota surprised Raichu's Thunder with Mega-Sceptile's Lightning Rod was epic, so much electric charge for nothing xD

Punkbeetle said:

If we go by that, how did Ludicolo to charge the Solar Beam so fast during rainy weather? lol

Good that you reminded me, that was indeed dumb and counter productive. However, Solarbeam has lost its luster over the years regarding its charging requirement, though this one REALLY took the cake.

And look I know that game mechanics dictates the working of dig and thus I wont complain that much... but you have to admit; the fake tension made through Dig is not very effective. We all know how it's going to happen - straight up under the opponent. They actually should change spots and actually makes use of Dig's potential of being highly confusing. Pull the audience into the guessing game, that would be effective tension. Admit it; seeing Dig suprising the enemy through a flank and then hit the opponent with a second move like Raichu Focus Blast would be amazing.

Anyway, Sceptile made me laugh hard. It Mega evolve sequence really reminded me of the Gojira monster movies combined with the first time Goku went Ssj 3.
They probably will cut that sequence down next time, took way too long.

Regarding the pace though: in the end we will be getting the same amount of battle episodes as previous leagues on avarage. It just that during those leagues sans Shinnoh, there was no need to animate the semi's and final so the focus had to be on top 32 > 16. This time around it is quite obvious we are getting both of the final rounds so why not just skip the un important matches ? Battle animates is expensive and time draining. Though the way they are doing -while not new see Indigo league- does suck >_>" At least show us the score boards.

Anyway we all know that no one there is going to stop Charizard X and Satoshi Grenninja and that the Flare climax will immediately follow. So that does explain the rush.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 8, 2016 7:57 AM

Jan 2016
Punkbeetle said:
And look I know that game mechanics dictates the working of dig and thus I wont complain that much... but you have to admit; the fake tension made through Dig is not very effective. We all know how it's going to happen - straight up under the opponent. They actually should change spots and actually makes use of Dig's potential of being highly confusing. Pull the audience into the guessing game, that would be effective tension. Admit it; seeing Dig suprising the enemy through a flank and then hit the opponent with a second move like Raichu Focus Blast would be amazing.

Yeah, they should have watched Jasmine's battle back on Johto. Steelix not only attacked from under the opponent, also from behind or from the sides xD

Punkbeetle said:
Regarding the pace though: in the end we will be getting the same amount of battle episodes as previous leagues on avarage. It just that during those leagues sans Shinnoh, there was no need to animate the semi's and final so the focus had to be on top 32 > 16. This time around it is quite obvious we are getting both of the final rounds so why not just skip the un important matches ? Battle animates is expensive and time draining. Though the way they are doing -while not new see Indigo league- does suck >_>" At least show us the score boards.

Anyway we all know that no one there is going to stop Charizard X and Satoshi Grenninja and that the Flare climax will immediately follow. So that does explain the rush.

Hmmm you're correct here. Well, I'm ok with that, as long as Alain is not a new Tobias xD However, I highly doubt Ash is going to win this league. Not only for the fact there's a new Pokemon game coming, it just to get Ash much closer to winning one for once. The finals, a position at the moment he never ever reached. Though as you said, soon the Team Flare thing will appear so I can't do anything rather than wait to watch how the outcome is done xD
THANKS SENPIEX
Jul 8, 2016 12:19 PM

Mar 2014
*First minutes and Hawlucha defeat mega Absol*

Me: Good! Ash won his second battle!

Broadcast: Ash goes to the semifinals!

Me: WUT

Honestly I'm not sure if they're rushing it because Sun & Moon at November or all this league is one of the consequences of DiCaprio's Oscar! xD

It was a very cool battle, even knowing that Shota gonna win, Tierno did a good fight with rain dance strategies (love Ludicolo's dancing introduction x3). I already completly forgot about Mega Sceptile's ability (have like more of 1 year without playing Alpha Sapphire or go PS), so it was a cool reminder. And that cry when mega evolving, it was unnecesary long (was like he had indisgetion or a big "fur" ball in the gullet).
Jul 9, 2016 12:00 PM

Dec 2009
This episode is focus on Shota vs. Tierno, really enjoyed it than last week episode. Even though, knew Shota was going to win due to upcoming title spoilers/teaser. Oh, just noticed Ash was battling Astrid in a short segment, remember her from the movie and mega evolution special. Yet, feel the Kalos League is going to end soon since it feels like a quick, fast pace arc. Probably after this arc, its probably the Team Flare arc. Knew Goodra will come back since Ash can either get another Pokemon from Professor Oak's lab or get Goodra due to the promise when visiting Goodra before arriving to the Kalos League.
Jul 11, 2016 7:02 AM

May 2009
Floyd_ said:

Punkbeetle said:

I also thought this league was rushed, until I saw this video.
Jul 14, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2016
The way things are turning out I really think Satoshi is actually going to win, or in the very least get second place. I was very dissapointed that we didn't get to see the battle between Satoshi and Astrid and all in all they are really rushing this league. Hopefully that is because we are going to see an exciting climax with Team Flare either during the inevitable battle between Satoshi and Alain or right after the League
Jul 15, 2016 1:17 AM

May 2009
I think we can come with a definite answer that he'll win. I happen to have found the episode names of the latest scans. Now we can rest easy and HYPE the fuck out of the finals.

Jul 15, 2016 4:57 AM

Jul 2008
Shoryuuken said:
I think we can come with a definite answer that he'll win. I happen to have found the episode names of the latest scans. Now we can rest easy and HYPE the fuck out of the finals.

Elso said:
The way things are turning out I really think Satoshi is actually going to win, or in the very least get second place. I was very dissapointed that we didn't get to see the battle between Satoshi and Astrid and all in all they are really rushing this league. Hopefully that is because we are going to see an exciting climax with Team Flare either during the inevitable battle between Satoshi and Alain or right after the League

At the very least we still got the Astrid V Ash Diancie battle.
Jul 15, 2016 5:00 AM

May 2009
Hehe, I know I might be a bit overhyped.

Jul 15, 2016 5:07 AM
Jun 2016
I love pokemon :) !
Jul 15, 2016 5:30 AM

Jul 2008
Shoryuuken said:

Oh we all are. Been watching since ep 2 of the Indigo league. I'm so psyched to see Ash
Especially after the hax that was Tobias in Shinnoh... (Ash did better than that year losing finalist. Ash got 6-2 Finalist got sweeped) and the plain insult that the Unova league was and still is...

Still interesting that

Mariecat1 said:

You are on the correct board then!
Jul 15, 2016 9:18 AM

May 2009
Punkbeetle said:
Shoryuuken said:

Oh we all are. Been watching since ep 2 of the Indigo league. I'm so psyched to see Ash
Especially after the hax that was Tobias in Shinnoh... (Ash did better than that year losing finalist. Ash got 6-2 Finalist got sweeped) and the plain insult that the Unova league was and still is...

Still interesting that

Mariecat1 said:

I am glad gen 6 ditched the whole "Douchebag badass rival". Instead they gave us Sawyer, Tierno and the misguided Alan.
Jul 15, 2016 11:42 AM

Mar 2016
Malva interviewing Satoshi doesn't mean he won, but the Hype is real. I'll still be happy if he beats Shota, which I think is all but confirmed. Perhaps it's the writers treating us after the fiasco that was 90% of the Best Wishes series.
Jul 15, 2016 12:17 PM

Mar 2016
MajinAkuma said:
Elso said:

It's not really rushing, since the league has about the same amount of episodes as previous leagues, maybe even more. The record has the Johto league with 7 episodes, one episode more than Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. If the final match is at least two or three episodes, then the Kalos league would have 6-7 episodes.
By episode count it's par for the course but a lot of time is being spent on the other characters which isn't done as much. So rather than say it's rushed perhaps it's more they are taking alot of the focus away from Ash
Jul 15, 2016 1:35 PM

Mar 2014
Elso said:
By episode count it's par for the course but a lot of time is being spent on the other characters which isn't done as much. So rather than say it's rushed perhaps it's more they are taking alot of the focus away from Ash

Well, it's obviously to hype up Shota and Alain even more. Since they are the main rivals and they have to be defeated, it has to be at least in the semi-finals onwards and it makes sure that no new random character will win the league. The Kalos League already established that the tournament will be won by either Mega Charizard X, Mega Sceptile or Ash-Greninja. Satoshi doesn't need to struggle prior to the semi-finals, since that would be a sign of weakness. And Satoshi sweeping through the tournament would actually waste time to build up his rivals. We now know what Shota's team looks like, and Mega Charizard X has still proven why it won against 10 Megas in a row back then. And the league cannot be much longer than the previous ones. We know that the league will last up to 7 episodes like Johto did. The first two episodes establish that the three main contestants are sweeping through the tournament while building up Satoshi's two main rivals, while the remaining five episodes are dedicated to show the full matches against them. Shigeru had two episodes and Shinji had three, so Shota will likely have two episodes, while Alain will have three. The Kalos League is merely a big showdown against Satoshi's two Kalos main rivals.
Jul 15, 2016 2:59 PM

Mar 2016
That's fair, although it begs the question on what Alain's full team will look like.
Charizard, Metang (Possibly Metagross) I think they will all be Pokemon capable of mega evolving at least maybe like Heracross, Manectric, Glalie, and maybe sharpedo
Jul 15, 2016 4:22 PM

Jul 2008
Shoryuuken said:
Punkbeetle said:

Still interesting that

I am glad gen 6 ditched the whole "Douchebag badass rival". Instead they gave us Sawyer, Tierno and the misguided Alan.

Well..., Johto Gary was quite mellow sans a few cocky outbursts and Houen was drama free regarding Ash his rivals anyway, May got the brunt of the Bad relationships

Regarding Paul though, yeah he was a jackass, but at least he drew an interesting parallel against Ash.
And for all you can question and judge his methods of social interaction and Pokemon training... the Pokemon who stayed the long haul dont seem to feel any malice regarding him.

Trip... yeahhh, i'm not gonna start on that one. All I'm gonna say about that brat is that his status as ''unimportant'' and ''Uninteresting'' got cemented by the way he get got defeated at the League.

Tobias was clearly quickly inserted to stop Ash hard, fast and believable.. As I mentioned, for all intents and purposes - Ash was the strongest trainer in that league as showed by the final score card: 6-2 Ash against 6-0 unnamed Finalist trainer V Tobias.
It was also mentioned that Ash was the only one to defeat Darkrai so we can presume that Tobias swept through the previous rounds as well. You would think a trainer with a Darkrai would make people talk huh...

The writers wrote themselves into a corner, lets just hope that isnt gonna happen here, seriously, Xy and Z has been awesome, dont finish weak guys.
Jul 16, 2016 1:57 AM

Aug 2014
I liked the episode but was disapointed with the Raichu vs Mega-Sceptile because I was expecting more than just:
"Tierno:Raichu use Thunder!
Shouta: Oh, but look, I mega-evolve and my sceptile conveniently gets this one ability called lightning rod that makes this Raichu useless, so you lose".
But still, I liked the battle.
Even if the league looks rushed right now, I have really high hopes for next episode, we could say tha the Kalos league has Regigigas's ability because it had a slow start. *badum tsss*
Anyway, now to wait for the episode and the movie to be subbed.
Jul 16, 2016 7:32 AM
Jan 2015
I know the league feels kinda rushed,but two parts on Ash v Shota and 3 parts for Ash v Alain will be great. Kinda wished we saw more of Ash though
Shadow
Jul 16, 2016 2:09 PM

Jul 2013
Elso said:
That's fair, although it begs the question on what Alain's full team will look like.
Charizard, Metang (Possibly Metagross) I think they will all be Pokemon capable of mega evolving at least maybe like Heracross, Manectric, Glalie, and maybe sharpedo

Jul 17, 2016 1:01 AM

Feb 2012
you guys... see that bracket we all know Ash is gonna beat Shota because this final battle with Alan has been so hyped up. That means Ash is guaranteed at least 2nd place this league his best performance yet. He hasn't beat Alan once right? So i don't think they'd make Ash get to the finals just lose to him again. Is...he gonna win it....no...but....no...but

Jul 29, 2016 7:11 PM
Dec 2009
Shota and Tierno have completely opposite personalities XD
Let's be honest though, it was obvious Shota was going to win. He's Ash's "rival".
Aug 4, 2016 2:46 AM

Jan 2013
He's either going to win it now or never. I'm pretty sure he's going to defeat at least Shota, and it would be a huge letdown if he lost to Alan once again after all their battles. It's also the whole 20th anniversary thing, and if I got it right from the new Sun & Moon trailer that region's not gonna have gyms and such, but some sort of island masters or whatever they were called. So yeah, now or never.

I'm so hyped for these next two battles.

pba5555 said:
I liked the episode but was disapointed with the Raichu vs Mega-Sceptile because I was expecting more than just:
"Tierno:Raichu use Thunder!
Shouta: Oh, but look, I mega-evolve and my sceptile conveniently gets this one ability called lightning rod that makes this Raichu useless, so you lose".

And even if it didn't get Lightning Rod from mega evolution, it would still only take 1/4 damage because of the added dragon type. Poor Raichu had absolutely no chance.

btw if anyone's seen later episodes unsubbed, no spoilers please
AipomAug 4, 2016 2:50 AM
Aug 4, 2016 5:45 AM
Aug 2012
[quote=Punkbeetle message=46809404]
Shoryuuken said:
Is it Goodra is member 6 huh, expected but i'm glad they flashbacked to the conversation between him and Ash. Ash did memtion calling Prof Oak. Wonder who he would have taken if Goodra was a no go.

Cough Pidgeot cough. I know shut up, HE WILL RETURN!!!!

No, grab Charizard and grab Trevor's mega stone please
Aug 4, 2016 10:09 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Elso said:

Don't tell anyone but Alan's other Poke's are Weedle, Nidoran, Bidoof and Chespin. :)

Jk, I think Alan will be like Tobias, he'll bring one OP Pokemon, sweep through Ash's team and it'll come down to Goodra and Greninja. Or he'll have a bunch of randoms. I honestly can't see Zard lasting too long if he starts the match.

On to the episode. Wow, Shota such a greedy boy. 3 SWORD DANCES. in ORAS online matches, it's tough to get 3 Sword Dances set up without the Poke losing.
I liked the match in general as there were some cool plays like the Blastoise lase second RD. For Sceptile's Mega ability I had to look it up because I thought it was something that was like made up. Gotta give Tierno credit, he put up a good fight but Sceptile was too powerful. Either way Electric moves don't deal much damage to Grass types. I felt like Tierno should have chosen a speedy Pokemon to combat Sceptile and left out Ludicolo.

I remember back in Sinnoh I wondered if Ash would ever raise a Dragon type and now he has 2, including one pseudo one.

Aug 4, 2016 10:24 PM

Mar 2016
All of alain's other pokemon have been confirmed at this point I won't say it for those who want to be surprised though. Ash will have his work cut out for him but I think he can win this one hands down with pokemon like goodra and greninja as his best and the rest being no slouch either
Aug 10, 2016 6:47 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
I would love to see a GIF of the brakdance from Tierno with his Grass Pokemon lol.

So this is what we were waiting for. After roughly 130 episodes of Pokemon XY and Pokemon XY&Z combined, the Kalos League is taking place. Maybe they will start the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime soon after? The games will be released before 2017 or am I wrong?

The semifinal matchups are really predictable because of character importance. I would be very impresseed/surprised if either Satoshi or the Mega Lizardon guy won't advence to the final.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Aug 22, 2016 1:55 AM

Feb 2011
Yaay, Goodra is back! Cannot wait to see Goodra in battle :3
Oct 8, 2016 7:11 PM
Mar 2015
Thank god Ash brought Goodra to the League, you don't just not bring a GOODRA to battle in the league. The battle with Tierno was nice.
Nov 19, 2016 9:33 PM

Dec 2012
Pachira looking so fine telling us what's going on.

Ayaka's showing off her moves. I hope we continue to see more of h- WTF! Ayaka is battling Satoshi? OMG! She's going to lose. WTF! NO!!!! Farewell, Ayaka. I'll miss you. Fate was cruel to you today. I know we won't see you ever again. *sheds tears*

Tierno vs Shota!

smh at Satoshi for acknowledging that lost to Shota, but props to admitting that he goofed during that battle.

No gay Pokemon allowed.

Did Shota just Accel Mega Shinka on the opponents turn like Carne did?

Of course Shota wins.

Rematch between Alan and Louis.

Satoshi only has 5 Pokemon and he needs 6. Time for the return of Lizar- Numelgon? WTF! WTF IS THIS? WTF IS REALLY GOING ON HERE? Lizardon is suppose to return. He's suppose to fight against Alan's(if it happens) Lizardon for an epic final battle. What is going on in the head of the producers? You mean to tell me that Trova and Alan's lame ass Lizardon battle was suppose to be THE Lizardon battle? That's some bullshit. And to top it off, Prof. Okido returns, but it's for a movie advertisement. Total bullshit. I am livid.

Also, I'm now noticing david production(if they appeared before, but I'm not checking) in the credits. lol
RobNov 19, 2016 9:43 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 24, 2016 2:29 AM

Nov 2014
Joycdonnell said:
*First minutes and Hawlucha defeat mega Absol*

Me: Good! Ash won his second battle!

Broadcast: Ash goes to the semifinals!

Me: WUT
My exact thought when i was watching the episode..

Well, i guess this one hold the new record as the most rushed Pokemon league to date.. I mean they practically just skip the whole battle and moving on to semifinal already? :/ I kinda wish to see Ash to battle at least 1-2 opponent in his 3 on 3 battle..

On the bright side, the episode is pretty fantastic IMO and Mega Sceptile is barely made me surprise considering that i already know that Sawyer will get it when it's revealed that his partner is a Treecko.. Anyway, while i don't really like the pacing of the tournament, at least i can hope for a great matches for Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alan.. If not however, it potentially capable to become on the same level than the B/W ones :/

5/5
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Nov 24, 2016 4:15 AM

Jul 2013
Wow, that was a really awesome episode!

Ash against Mega Absol was really good.

Tierno and Sawyer's battle was really really great!!! They both used so many great moves!

I don't know why they were all so surprised that Sceptile mega evolved, you could see the mega stone on his scarf the whole time lol. Although maybe they were too far away in the stands to see it, probably. But yeah, I wonder when Sawyer got that!

But they both had really great strategies, I'm kinda surprised Sawyer won but then again as Clemont pointed out he's a great analyst so it makes sense since he researches his opponents by watching their other matches before going up against them, something I am surprised more don't do beforehand, instead Ash and the like just use their battle experience from the first time around if they lost to someone which kinda makes sense too but Sawyer's way gives you the best chance to win!

I guessed Goodra would be his 6th when they said it, it was funny seeing him in the back of that tiny pick up truck! lol. Well, it looked tiny in comparison to him anyway lol. The flashback when Ash asked him and Goodra hugged him was so sweet! awww <3

So now it's Ash vs Sawyer just like they promised each other and Alain vs Remo, those should be some excellent battles!

Wow, I watched that video (I am following that person on YT but hadn't seen that video) and he's correct, when you look at it then this league isn't rushed at all, it seems to be the same pace as always!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 9 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 24, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 7 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 10, 2015

14 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 5 Discussion

-Koga- - Nov 27, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 25, 9:07 AM

» Can I watch this as a standalone?

Nemersis - Jan 22

34 by Nemersis »»
Mar 7, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 3 Discussion

StarryWindy - Nov 12, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 6, 6:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.