Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2016 5:47 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Seriously rushed. 3 battles in one episode wasn't going to work. They choose to show most of the Furfrou vs Pikachu, but not the full league battles.
Mega Charizard X defeating Mega Charizard Y using Flamethrower.. was just, stupid. I know, Drought was in effect as well, but still. COME ON. Trevor didn't deserve to be treated that way. His Aerodactyl and Florges also appeared to have been knocked out by his super OP Charizard.
Luckily Ash was able to make quick work of that guy's Furfrou. He was pretty close to getting disqualified there xD. We only saw Ash-Greninja destroying Tomo's Altaria, but that's all >.<

I hope Astrid vs Ash (from what it looks like in the preview) is fully shown. I'm assuming we'll be getting yet another 3 battles, with Shota vs Tierno being the main one.

From screenshots I saw on twitter it looked like Alain had Ludicolo and Blastoise, two Pokemon that Tierno has (shown in the preview). Yeaahhh no. Alain does not have those 2 pokemon.

Should keep my expectations fairly low for the next episode.
SandyBoiJun 30, 2016 6:53 AM
Jun 30, 2016 8:03 AM

Oct 2010
Rip.. so rushed. Would love to see more reactions from the audience about the Ash-greninja transformation. And... the Charizard X vs Y was such a letdown.

Jun 30, 2016 9:28 AM

Mar 2011
Rushed episode, I was like "okay, sh*t got real now with Greninjash!" And then a next scene in which Ash already won.
I guess they wanted to show how much powerful Alain is so it's why they made him defeat Y, though a Dragon Claw could have been better xD
The scene with the Furfrou guy caught my attention though, basically he was putting all the dreams and hopes of all the trainers who couldn't make it to the league on Ash's shoulders, and he even say something like "don't you dare to lose", I hope this will mean something positive in the future.

Jun 30, 2016 11:22 AM

Dec 2013
Hikari_Hoshisora said:
Jun 30, 2016 3:52 PM

Oct 2014
Episode was great, don't know why people are complaining about it being rushed because the setup in this episode was fantastic.

The whole scene with Ash vs the Furfrou was well executed.

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Jun 30, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2016
Isn't Alain too overpowered? Considering he also has a Metagross, I just don't expect him to be the new Tobias lol

About the Charizards using Flamethrower to each other, that's nothing. Ask yourself how does Altaria get KOed with just... a water shuriken? xD

Too rushed but hopefully this is just to advance to the real battles.
THANKS SENPIEX
Jun 30, 2016 8:53 PM

Jan 2015
So Ash and Gekkouga now have full control over their power. I think they rushed their battle, to make people imagine that Gekkouga sweeped through those 3. I personally believe so.
Alan leaving no chance for the poor boy.
I really hope they will show Ash's other pokemon, Sceptile especially
Jun 30, 2016 9:43 PM

Apr 2012
Kinda disappointed in Alan and Trova's one sided fight. It could've been better with both mega Charizards clashing with their dragon claws and fire breathing each other while flying around, lel. But nope, we had to see some loser getting his ass handed by Satoshi...
Jun 30, 2016 10:11 PM

Mar 2014
well..... it was a surprise this episode. It's not bad or dissapointing, it just that I was expecting a bit longer the battle between char X vs Char Y. At least Alain have alot experience battling mega pokemons so I'm fine with the result.

It's already decided Ash vs Shota is gonna happen any moment of the league, I really hope that the battle is on semifinals pls. I counted the matches on the screen and are 32 battles in the first round. The next battle looks that he gonna fight vs the Ace trainer of XY (which can be considered the top 16 battle), so Ash vs Shota would be in top 8, top 4, semifinals or even finals.

He usually loses the league in his top 8 battle (I believe that once got top 4 in Sinnoh), and really want him reach higher. I really want him win the league once so bad but always the studio want him to lose TwT hope this time is the exception (or least higher than top 8).
Jul 1, 2016 3:28 AM

May 2009
It seems like this league intends to set-up for the larger battles are there isn't much time left until Sun/Moon. Alan vs Ash and Sawyer vs Ash will atleast be both two episodes.
Jul 1, 2016 12:08 PM

Jan 2016
Joycdonnell said:
He usually loses the league in his top 8 battle (I believe that once got top 4 in Sinnoh), and really want him reach higher. I really want him win the league once so bad but always the studio want him to lose TwT hope this time is the exception (or least higher than top 8).

The worst thing the producers can do is letting Ash to go to the finals for once and then make it lose stupidly xD But as you said, it may happen only if Ash vs Shota is done in the semifinals. I wouldn't be surprised if Ash vs Alain is set on semifinals though...
THANKS SENPIEX
Jul 1, 2016 11:35 PM

Mar 2014
Floyd_ said:

The worst thing the producers can do is letting Ash to go to the finals for once and then make it lose stupidly xD But as you said, it may happen only if Ash vs Shota is done in the semifinals. I wouldn't be surprised if Ash vs Alain is set on semifinals though...

Oh God pls no give them ideas! xD

I see Alain enough powerful to be Ash's opponent at the finals, see him at the semifinal battle gives me a impression that Ash would to lose vs him or there is a Tobias 2.0 waiting him at finals.
Jul 2, 2016 1:12 AM

Apr 2015
where's the fire thing in every league.
Anyways, this episode is good. Off to a great start. I think this is the first anime appearance of mega charizard Y.
Jul 2, 2016 10:06 AM

May 2009
Floyd_ said:
Joycdonnell said:

It is confirmed to be the semi finals as the future episodes are called.

"The Semifinal Full Battle! Satoshi VS Shota!!"

sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon:_XY_%26_Z_episodes
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_XY_series_episodes
Jul 4, 2016 10:10 AM

Jul 2008
Shoryuuken said:
It seems like this league intends to set-up for the larger battles are there isn't much time left until Sun/Moon. Alan vs Ash and Sawyer vs Ash will atleast be both two episodes.

Yeah, it is clear that they are using the league to set up Flare's final gambit.
Alain is acting strange, distant.

Anyway, rushed episode, I get that they want to tell the underlying swelling story through the league and I respect that... but dont rush the battles because of that.
Sure this is the first round and previous leagues show us 1v1 prelimatches so the idea is not new but gah...

We want high budget battles!
And not just a few!!

Still what we did got was quite accurate, sure there is some contention regarding the Charizard fight. Should a mega get knocked out by a single resitant attack ? Yes, if it's by a powerhouse like Alain's Zard it should/could happen.

Mega evolution boots your power only not your skill or other factors. Alain's Zard has been shown continuously as a badass powerhouse who knows to battle. Getting drought bonus didn't help Trevor and his Zard either.

Hopefully though we will get some more reaction shots from the people surrounding Ash regarding Gekkouga next time. I want to see Oak and Dehlia in front of the tv again. Those shots always are a nice nod to the viewers of old days.

Go league, be grand!
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 4, 2016 2:12 PM

Dec 2009
Enjoyed the battle Alan's Charizard vs. Trova's Charizard but it felt rushed which bothers me. Also, think Trova's Charizard was recently evolved before the Kalos League so didn't have the strength to overcome Alan's Charizard since Alan's Charizard was trained longer than Trova's Charizard which might explained how the battle was one sided... It would be better if the entire episode was focus on that and the next episode on Ash vs. the dragon trainer and the trainer with the Furfrou in a few short scenes while during the battle with Alan vs Trova rather than 3 battles in one episode. I think the games Sun and Moon is coming out soon in 4 months so there will be battles which might be rushed in my opinion. Also, there is still the Team Flare arc and no sure how long it will last though, maybe similar to the Team Plasma arc in Black and White 2 as a short arc before the anime version of Sun and Moon series.
pokegirlJul 4, 2016 2:26 PM
Jul 5, 2016 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
SandyBoi said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Seriously rushed. 3 battles in one episode wasn't going to work. They choose to show most of the Furfrou vs Pikachu, but not the full league battles.
Mega Charizard X defeating Mega Charizard Y using Flamethrower.. was just, stupid. I know, Drought was in effect as well, but still. COME ON. Trevor didn't deserve to be treated that way. His Aerodactyl and Florges also appeared to have been knocked out by his super OP Charizard.
Luckily Ash was able to make quick work of that guy's Furfrou. He was pretty close to getting disqualified there xD. We only saw Ash-Greninja destroying Tomo's Altaria, but that's all >.<

I hope Astrid vs Ash (from what it looks like in the preview) is fully shown. I'm assuming we'll be getting yet another 3 battles, with Shota vs Tierno being the main one.

From screenshots I saw on twitter it looked like Alain had Ludicolo and Blastoise, two Pokemon that Tierno has (shown in the preview). Yeaahhh no. Alain does not have those 2 pokemon.

Should keep my expectations fairly low for the next episode.

So it is Furfrou. I was thinking what the... new pokemon. Seriously was spending about half an hour through my Omega Ruby pokedex searching for that pokemon. An alt form ehhh~ X)
Jul 28, 2016 9:17 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Trevor lacked experience when it came to Mega evolving his Charizard. Power doesn't mean you will always beat your opponent. Alan's Charizard and Alan himself are very skilled when it comes to battling. Their battles with the other megas have proven that. So overall Alan is just a pure boss who made Trevor look like an amateur.

Part of the reason for the fast paced imo is because of the upcoming Sun/Moon. They probably want to finish the XY quickly and begin on the new journey. Or maybe they will slow things down on the next arc.

Jul 29, 2016 7:09 PM
Dec 2009
Wow, so much happening in one episode! They're really blazing through this. I expected one battle this episode and we got THREE. I assume a few battles will be dragged out later on though... still wow, how many episodes left until this series ends?
Jul 30, 2016 12:10 AM
Jan 2011
I'm pretty upset they skipped battles in the league! It's the highlight of this anime IMO, they should show every single match! Instead of so many fillers before and after. Cuz we all know what's gonna happen after the league, tons of fillers. Yea I'm super hyped about Ash and Greninja mastering the fusion thing. Although I wonder what will happen in the next region... Like Pikachu has always been Ash's main pokemon, but now Greninja has pretty much taken the spotlight and I'll be super upset if Ash just drops Greninja at Prof. Oak like he always does.
Aug 2, 2016 10:24 AM

Jul 2008
krisichiki said:
The Kalos League is finally here!

I personally enjoyed the episode and the way the battles transitioned from one another. It was nice to see the Kalos Champion announcing the beginning of the Kalos League. Did that ever happen before? I don't quite remember. I just really like the way the Kalos League was presented.

Cynthia was present at the Shinnoh League as a Vip spectator just as the Kalos Champion is here.

Quick Edit: Acoording to Cynthia's Bulbapedia page:
"She also appeared in An Old Family Blend!, where she observed the Lily of the Valley Conference alongside Charles Goodshow, making her the first current Champion to appear at a Pokémon League Conference. While watching, she showed a deep interest in the battle between Ash and Paul. At the end of the competition, she personally delivered the trophy to the winner, Tobias, who had won the Sinnoh League and the right to face the Elite Four."

An Old Family Blend! btw is DP182/Season 13 Episode 25 just to be thorough.
PunkbeetleAug 2, 2016 10:28 AM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Aug 22, 2016 1:22 AM

Feb 2011
Well that was expected..black charizard all the way :p though I really wished that battle lasted longer.
Sep 24, 2016 7:59 PM
Mar 2015
I didn't think that we would get to the league after one filler. The first battle was so hype for me. Two different Charizards Mega Evolved into different forms battle it out! (Even though we ALL knew Trevor was going to get REKTED by Alain so badly...)
Sep 24, 2016 9:57 PM

Dec 2015
you know pokemon is going downhill when the league stops doing full 6 battles... still wondering on which idiot thought it was a good idea to create a knock off mega for greninja instead of just giving Ash a mega charizard. Luckily Generations will save my soul from further disappointment
Sep 25, 2016 1:34 AM

Jul 2008
SimplyKairi said:
you know pokemon is going downhill when the league stops doing full 6 battles... still wondering on which idiot thought it was a good idea to create a knock off mega for greninja instead of just giving Ash a mega charizard. Luckily Generations will save my soul from further disappointment

Not a single League ever started with 6 on 6'es, so hold your horses. Oh and probably the idiot from marketing who is there to promote the NEW pokemon. Besides Kalos is Froakie's story just as DP was Chimchar's, getting Charizard back into the mix now would be suicide to the overall plot. But serious, why do people like you bother to torment yourself watching a product you clearly dont like.
Sep 25, 2016 6:19 AM

Dec 2015
Punkbeetle said:
SimplyKairi said:

Not a single League ever started with 6 on 6'es, so hold your horses. Oh and probably the idiot from marketing who is there to promote the NEW pokemon. Besides Kalos is Froakie's story just as DP was Chimchar's, getting Charizard back into the mix now would be suicide to the overall plot. But serious, why do people like you bother to torment yourself watching a product you clearly dont like.

saying its froakie's story is inaccurate since Ash normally gets all 3 starters.. and its kinda hard to "promote something" that will never be seen again.Bringing the back the most requested Pokemon would be suicide to the plot how? Mega Charizard was the face of mega evolution obviously Ash should've received charizard y. Kalos is specifically focused on mega evolution him going there and not receiving a mega basically makes the entire season pointless "Don't like pokemon" far from it... The manga,games,anime I love it all just stating that there's an obvious decline in quality from the anime. If you need anymore proof just look at the Sun & Moon trailer....
Sep 25, 2016 7:14 AM

Jul 2008
SimplyKairi said:
Punkbeetle said:

saying its froakie's story is inaccurate since Ash normally gets all 3 starters.. and its kinda hard to "promote something" that will never be seen again.Bringing the back the most requested Pokemon would be suicide to the plot how? Mega Charizard was the face of mega evolution obviously Ash should've received charizard y. Kalos is specifically focused on mega evolution him going there and not receiving a mega basically makes the entire season pointless "Don't like pokemon" far from it... The manga,games,anime I love it all just stating that there's an obvious decline in quality from the anime. If you need anymore proof just look at the Sun & Moon trailer....

First of all he only got 1 of the starters in Houen and only 2 in Shinnoh. And while he did get all three of them in Unova, it was clear that Mijumaru was the break out star. So at this point we are at 3 vs 3, hardly a percentage worthy of being called ''normally''.

Secondly this is the story of Kalos, there for also the story of said Pokemon and characters. Sure, they might not be seen again in the anime after this but according to that logic you can almost screw everything off.
Why bother with Shinnoh ? not like we have seen Paul again, what a waste of time was that huh.

Thirdly, Froakie being special has been hinted since LITERARY the FIRST episode of YX. It got further elevated by Olympia and the Ninja village. So yes, this is Froakie's story and by adding Charizard you will not only get two stars competing for the main stage, you will also screw over the TWO other Charizard trainers by stealing their Mega evolution away from them. Just look at BW, who cared about Pignite, Charizard was back!

The fact that Ash didnt get a Mega evo mon was peculiar indeed, but the mechanism has been displayed enough by other trainers and the alternative has been made legit by the anime, so in the end it really doesnt hold any worth.
Besides, the anime has shown that getting a keystone AND matching crest isnt exactly easy anyway, so Ash not securring them isnt that unrealistic.

Oh, and this is YX, dont compare what is coming in the future to the product which is on display now. You cant judge a something by the look of its successor.
Sep 25, 2016 3:59 PM

Dec 2015
Punkbeetle said:
SimplyKairi said:

First of all he only got 1 of the starters in Houen and only 2 in Shinnoh. And while he did get all three of them in Unova, it was clear that Mijumaru was the break out star. So at this point we are at 3 vs 3, hardly a percentage worthy of being called ''normally''.

Secondly this is the story of Kalos, there for also the story of said Pokemon and characters. Sure, they might not be seen again in the anime after this but according to that logic you can almost screw everything off.
Why bother with Shinnoh ? not like we have seen Paul again, what a waste of time was that huh.

Thirdly, Froakie being special has been hinted since LITERARY the FIRST episode of YX. It got further elevated by Olympia and the Ninja village. So yes, this is Froakie's story and by adding Charizard you will not only get two stars competing for the main stage, you will also screw over the TWO other Charizard trainers by stealing their Mega evolution away from them. Just look at BW, who cared about Pignite, Charizard was back!

The fact that Ash didnt get a Mega evo mon was peculiar indeed, but the mechanism has been displayed enough by other trainers and the alternative has been made legit by the anime, so in the end it really doesnt hold any worth.
Besides, the anime has shown that getting a keystone AND matching crest isnt exactly easy anyway, so Ash not securring them isnt that unrealistic.

Oh, and this is YX, dont compare what is coming in the future to the product which is on display now. You cant judge a something by the look of its successor.

... no point in continuing this since you're obviously a poke new gen
Sep 25, 2016 5:24 PM

Jul 2008
SimplyKairi said:
Punkbeetle said:

... no point in continuing this since you're obviously a poke new gen

Just because you get beat on every of your so called arguments, that doesnt give you the right to insult me like that. I probably got more years in the Pokemon world than you. Heck just check my profile, I list myself located in Ecruteak(seriously, best city in the Pokemon world). You know, THE SECOND GEN CITY.

If you got a problem with my arguments that's fine. You dont have to agree with me, this is a message board after all. You know a place for exactly these kind of discussions. But to back out with an insult ? That is being disgraceful to the honor of being a trainer, shame on you, miss.
Nov 16, 2016 1:34 PM

Jul 2013
That did seem a little rushed, we didn't get to see Alain or Ash's battle completely.

It was nice to see Alain's mega Charizard X vs Sawyer's Mega Charizard Y though, X looks way cooler though and I am surprised Y got taken down so soon tbh. The other two I get more.

We only saw Ash defeat the first Pokemon then they say he got through and I was like "but I wanted to see the rest" - it was quite disappointing compared to the League's of the first few seasons which were the last I watched where they showed every match completely I think.

It was awesome to see Ash-Greninja again though! <3 I got the Sun and Moon demo and got him, so cool <3

That silly boy making Ash battle him too and nearly making him forfeit the match was annoying. I get it, but surely he could've got the required 8 gym badges in time if he were that good.
Nov 19, 2016 8:42 PM

Dec 2012
The Pocket Monster wars have begun!

Pachira returns looking fine.

Rocket Gang doing what they do during the war.

DAT PACHIRA SIDE BOOTY! Oppai on point.

Satoshi makes his declaration to win and reminds us that he wants to be a Pokemon master.

Some dude(Yuma) getting in Satoshi's(Bakura) way of registering.

Lol at Serena holding Satoshi's hand.

OMG! Ayaka returns and she's participating in the war. My wish came true.

Tierno trying to smash again.

Carne and Prof. Platane are here.

Where's Hanako and Prof. Okido? Where's Lizardon? What is going on here?

A battle of two Lizardon's? A battle of two Mega Lizardon's? This should be great.

Trova's Mega Lizardon gets wan taan killed. What a letdown.

Looks like Trova's summer vacation.... is over.

Stop being a sore loser and get your 8 badges and stop bothering other people with your problems.

Dat Jewmanbolto looked so good.

It's time for Satoshi's battle and Gekkouga is first!

Motto, motto motto tsuyoku! Iku Z!

They played "XYZ: Number one" version.

DAT SAKUGA!

Satoshi advances! Ayaka, too. Nice.

Disappointed Satoshi revealed his kirifuda so soon.
RobDec 3, 2016 3:24 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 24, 2016 1:59 AM

Nov 2014
A bit too rushed to my liking.. I hope we see more of Alan vs Trevor instead of Ash vs some random guy.. The Charizard X vs Y was cool but again, it's too fast (i mean Trevor's Charizard lost by 1 hit) anyway, hope that the later episode would become much more satisfying..

4/5
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Nov 30, 2023 2:15 AM

Feb 2020
Essa cara amaldiçoou o Satoshi đź’€

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 9 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 24, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 7 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 10, 2015

14 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 5 Discussion

-Koga- - Nov 27, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 25, 9:07 AM

» Can I watch this as a standalone?

Nemersis - Jan 22

34 by Nemersis »»
Mar 7, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 3 Discussion

StarryWindy - Nov 12, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 6, 6:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.