Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 30, 2016 3:57 AM

Oct 2015
I was just wondering how people with 200+ days worth of anime can find/have found new series to watch. Even if I watched everything on my PTW list it would probably only amount to 55-60 days worth of watching.

Do you venture outside your comfort zone and perhaps begin watching a genre you normally would not...

...or am I just being naive and not know that they're are more good series than I actually think?

Edit: (Ok so I'm not personally asking how can I discover a new series (I guess the title is kinda misleading) It's just I was wondering how people who have watched so much can continue to find new series to enjoy.)
XykhenJun 30, 2016 9:48 AM

🎧 Just let the music take you away... 🎧

▪ Artist ▪
▪ Student ▪
▪ 17 ▪

Jun 30, 2016 4:03 AM
Jul 2015
Venturing outside your comfort zone is the best way to keep things fresh. I don't know how people can watch the same type of anime over and over again.

I'm a very slow watcher personally, and if a series didn't grab my attention after 2 or 3 episodes, I usually drop it. No point in forcing yourself to finish something that didn't manage to interest you in the slightest.
hi
Jun 30, 2016 4:04 AM
Jan 2016
I guess some people just watch everything, no matter if they like it or not.
I have watched 56 days worth of anime and I'm close to running out of stuff that tickles my fancy. I'm already reaching for stuff that I wouldn't watch in the past, such as ecchi anime and shoujo.
Jun 30, 2016 4:06 AM

Jun 2015
I usually go to what i havent seen since i usually any genre of anime except yaoi and go to recommendation videos
Jun 30, 2016 4:13 AM

Dec 2014
First: live on the internet
Second: oh wait there is no second, only for 30 char.
Jun 30, 2016 4:14 AM

Sep 2010
Xykhen said:
I was just wondering how people with 200+ days worth of anime can find/have found new series to watch. Even if I watched everything on my PTW list it would probably only amount to 55-60 days worth of watching.

Do you venture outside your comfort zone and perhaps begin watching a genre you normally would not...

...or am I just being naive and don't know that they're are more good series than I actually think?

go to anime graph
go to recommendations
add everything on recommendations and eventually watch it

or

go to streaming or torrenting sites
get a shitload of ova's, ona's , specials and movies

or

just watch 150+ ep anime

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Jun 30, 2016 5:43 AM

Nov 2009
Xykhen said:

...or am I just being naive and don't know that they're are more good series than I actually think?

1) Behold, the "seasonal anime" feature of MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/season (it's in the anime - seasonal anime menu). Just a few clicks away, a database of all the new and shiny anime that comes out this season. Just go through it, and see which ones look like they might be good. And watch them. Half of them will disappoint you, but that's life.

2) People mentioning anime in discussions. Look at their descriptions, and add them to your PTW list if they seem interesting.

3) Recommendations for anime you liked best are a powerful tool.

4) Search anime by genre. Search anime by rating. Search anime by anything else. MAL's mighty database has a lot of anime, and most of it can be found online. And AniDB's database allows even stranger searches - just recently I've given a user in identification thread a search for scythe-wielding characters.

5) Finally, depending on what your comfort zone is like, it might be worthwhile to venture outside it. Point 2) should give you a lot of ideas on this matter.

So far, I've watched 700+ titles, but only 124+ days of anime. That's around 10 years of anime fan career. It doesn't seem to be running out - my PTW list grows longer and longer. Maybe it's because I'm rather omnivorous.

Don't worry, it'll be alright.
flannanJun 30, 2016 5:47 AM
Jun 30, 2016 6:00 AM

Jun 2015
300+ days here and that's just about 60-70%(since I don't include most ovas, movies and a lot of titles I already forgot) so there are definitely still plenty of good stuff since I'm still watching.

Mostly I find new shows by looking at the forums or searching terms in google(for instance, high fantasy, post apocalypse etc).

My comfort zone does not include yaoi or yuri and I rarely venture into sports, mecha, mahou shoujo, kids, cg heavy or "dark" anime, so, yeah, still tons of good stuff out there.
Jun 30, 2016 6:04 AM

Apr 2015
Going out of your comfort zone helps alot
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2016 6:08 AM

Jul 2014
I generally ask friends both online and in real life for recs and frequent anime communities like this one.
Take care of yourself

Jun 30, 2016 6:11 AM
Apr 2015
I find shows by looking in the popular tab and what is coming up for next season so now I have a lot on my plan to watch list :P
Jun 30, 2016 6:54 AM

Oct 2015
flannan said:
Xykhen said:

1) Behold, the "seasonal anime" feature of MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/season (it's in the anime - seasonal anime menu). Just a few clicks away, a database of all the new and shiny anime that comes out this season. Just go through it, and see which ones look like they might be good. And watch them. Half of them will disappoint you, but that's life.

2) People mentioning anime in discussions. Look at their descriptions, and add them to your PTW list if they seem interesting.

3) Recommendations for anime you liked best are a powerful tool.

4) Search anime by genre. Search anime by rating. Search anime by anything else. MAL's mighty database has a lot of anime, and most of it can be found online. And AniDB's database allows even stranger searches - just recently I've given a user in identification thread a search for scythe-wielding characters.

5) Finally, depending on what your comfort zone is like, it might be worthwhile to venture outside it. Point 2) should give you a lot of ideas on this matter.

So far, I've watched 700+ titles, but only 124+ days of anime. That's around 10 years of anime fan career. It doesn't seem to be running out - my PTW list grows longer and longer. Maybe it's because I'm rather omnivorous.

Don't worry, it'll be alright.

I always make sure to check the Upcoming Seasonal anime and other lists like that. Your other suggestions are helpful too and I'll take them into consideration =3

▪ Artist ▪
▪ Student ▪
▪ 17 ▪

Jun 30, 2016 6:55 AM

Mar 2016
When I first got into anime I would just watch any type of anime there was to watch that scored in as one of the best anime of all time according to a few different sites. After I got through almost all the must watch masterpieces I slowly started to find other things that interested me just by picking random ones that sounded interesting by their title or description I saw online. I had a lot of trouble and a long the way I found some really messed up or crazy shows. But so basically I just pick a random show that sounds good and hope it really is. It isn't the best idea but going by category is just not my thing.
Jun 30, 2016 6:57 AM

Jul 2015
myanimelist.net. You should check it out sometime, it's a really good site to find anime:)
Jun 30, 2016 7:00 AM

Feb 2015
Hype from friends or critical acclaim from critics.

I mostly watch animes with mixed receptions, such as NGE or FLCL.

I'm not a genre watcher, actually.
Jun 30, 2016 7:13 AM

Feb 2013
Xykhen said:
Tvtropes, checking what other stuff the studios/directors of your favourite anime have done, seasonal charts, ...

These are a good way to find about titles not based on popularity or rating... if you only pick based what others tell you, youtube top 10s, and shit like that, you will keep encountering the same several hundreds of high popularity titles. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there should be many lesser known titles that perhaps fit your niche in particular.

You might also wanna consider watching older shows since these tend to be longer... you only have like 5 pre-2005 series in your list. And also consider that some people pad their lists (and time watched stat) by claiming they completed various childhood long runners like pokemon, yugioh, etc which they probably haven't.

Xykhen said:
That much is a given. Trying to understand different genres goes a long way in having a big list.

Xykhen said:
...or am I just being naive and not know that they're are more good series than I actually think?
This depends on you, as what makes a good series is subjective to some pretty high degree...
Though I'd still advice you to watch more and plan to watch less. As long as you are still vaguely active on the anime-speaking parts of the internet, new titles will come to your attention sooner or later.
romagiaJun 30, 2016 7:18 AM
Jun 30, 2016 7:22 AM

Oct 2015
Btw, I'd just like to add that it's not that I don't know how or where to find new Anime.. (I guess the title is kinda misleading) It's just I was wondering how people who have watched so much can continue to find new series to enjoy.

▪ Artist ▪
▪ Student ▪
▪ 17 ▪

Jun 30, 2016 7:36 AM

Oct 2014
If you spend enough time on MAL you'll find out about a lot of new great anime. Kissanime also helps. There are plenty of anime out there, you just need to learn to filter through them to find which ones you might like. There have been a couple times that I've asked other people on MAL if I would like an anime or not and so far they've been right.
Jun 30, 2016 7:40 AM

Oct 2015
i first look though random anime's synopsis and decide whether i wanna watch it or not. well i check every genre except yaoi

WARNING! THIS METHOD MIGHT WASTE A LOT OF YOUR TIME IF YOU HAVE WATCHED SOMETHING LIKE 100+ ANIMES.
helps you find rare gems tho
Jun 30, 2016 7:41 AM

Mar 2015
I stumble upon them, usually via word of mouth or cute gifs.
Jun 30, 2016 7:41 AM

Nov 2009
Xykhen said:
Btw, I'd just like to add that it's not that I don't know how or where to find new Anime.. (I guess the title is kinda misleading) It's just I was wondering how people who have watched so much can continue to find new series to enjoy.

If you get stuck, ask for recommendations in the recommendations subforum.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?board=16

OneTrueEmiya said:

Yeah, never underestimate the power of cute pictures.
Jun 30, 2016 7:43 AM

Oct 2015
flannan said:
Xykhen said:

If you get stuck, ask for recommendations in the recommendations subforum.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?board=16

dude watch out for some recommendations tho. last year i got recommended BOKU NO PICO *shudders*
Jun 30, 2016 7:46 AM

Mar 2015
flannan said:

Let's put it to the test, see how many people I can captivate with this:
Jun 30, 2016 7:46 AM

Oct 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:

Yeah, never underestimate the power of cute pictures.[/quote]
imma try that method today :D
Jun 30, 2016 7:51 AM

Mar 2016
My list is closer in size to yours OP, but I'd suggest watching anything and everything that seems interesting to you. And you can find stuff by looking at recommendations for shows you already like. If you like a certain era in anime, you could always search your favourite genres that were released during certain years. Similarly utilizing the advanced search for weird genre combinations is also something I've found helpful and interesting.
Jun 30, 2016 7:53 AM

Nov 2009
OneTrueEmiya said:
flannan said:

http://i.imgur.com/JWxZl9N.gif

Is it a japanese game opening? iqdb didn't find it.
Jun 30, 2016 7:56 AM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

http://i.imgur.com/JWxZl9N.gif

It belongs to Zero no Kiseki's OP:
Jun 30, 2016 7:59 AM

Nov 2009
OneTrueEmiya said:
flannan said:

I did suspect Kiseki series. Thank you.
Jun 30, 2016 8:02 AM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Oh? You know of Kiseki? It's pretty obscure even on MAL :P
Jun 30, 2016 8:03 AM

Oct 2015
I look at the "WatchMojo" Anime tops 10. Quality is always there.

Jun 30, 2016 8:05 AM

Nov 2009
OneTrueEmiya said:
flannan said:

Oh? You know of Kiseki? It's pretty obscure even on MAL :P

I have watched some OVAs of them. But mostly - my brother played the game.
Jun 30, 2016 8:07 AM

Feb 2010
My plan to watch has always been growing quicker than my completed list once I discovered MAL. But I guess having a very broad taste definitely helps. I'd watch pretty much any movie or OVA and for TV Series I'm still curious about a lot of them. Just in terms of stuff with a great reputation and or historical significance that I'm interested in, there is still tons of stuff. Plus random series I come across once and add them to my PTW. Theres over 10000 anime in the DB. I find it harder to run out of material.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 30, 2016 8:07 AM
Jun 2016
Askorti said:
I guess some people just watch everything, no matter if they like it or not.
I have watched 56 days worth of anime and I'm close to running out of stuff that tickles my fancy. I'm already reaching for stuff that I wouldn't watch in the past, such as ecchi anime and shoujo.

I second that. In 5th grade, I used to watch every single shoujo anime that I could find. Even if the storyline was boring and forgettable, I would still watch it. Now I don't even remember 3/4 of the stuff that I've watched.
Jun 30, 2016 4:55 PM

Sep 2015
I like anime as a whole and don't mind any genre except mecha, cause screw robots, so it's pretty easy for me to pick up new series. How do I discover them? Well I have 1/4 of 200 days time watched so I haven't watched many but I just find new shows through recommendations or if I found a cool looking gif. lol
Jun 30, 2016 5:03 PM

Jul 2012
Several ways. Watch an op theme I enjoyed on youtube, follow the recommendations side bar, add shows I haven't watched, repeat as necessary.
Or on an image site or one that includes an anime section, I personally use kym a lot wait until somebody uploads an image/gif of a series I haven't watched, check the source, onto the plan to watch list it goes.
The desperate method would be to just scan a random time frame on the seasonal chart and just add anything that seems mildy interesting. Can always remove it later if I change my mind but hey more options is never a bad thing.
GamerDLMJun 30, 2016 5:11 PM
Jun 30, 2016 8:46 PM

Jun 2016
I usually just traipse about on different sites until I happen to stumble across a blog/list/forum post of an anime or anime's that someone recommends. Then I usually get around at some point to checking them out. Funny enough, it's that random traipsing about that ultimately led me to this site and becoming a part of it.

More topics from this board

» Anime you wished could be forgotten

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

4 by Serafos »»
28 seconds ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime?

Dragevard - 41 minutes ago

8 by Lhundrup »»
38 seconds ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

16 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
3 minutes ago

» Best official subs for og Naruto?

TheQuench - 58 minutes ago

1 by Pipbusy »»
8 minutes ago

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - 10 hours ago

36 by LostSpectre »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.