Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 27, 2020 1:31 AM

Dec 2012
Misato.
Shinji's not there.
Dat letter.
Toji and Kensuke.
Shinji no baka!
Shinji on the train.
The theater.
Shinji runs.
Baka.
Kensuke.
Those men. They've come for Shinji.
Shinji is leaving.
Toji and Kensuke.
Toji wants Shinji to punch him.
Misato comes speeding in.
Shinji is still there.
Dat stare.
Dat ending.

Love Misato calling Shinji a baka.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 27, 2020 4:56 PM

Mar 2016
This episode was incredible honestly. I think it really took the whole "I'm the only person who can pilot the mech, therefore I must" thing from other mecha and made it so much more realistic. In MSG, knowing this made Amuro a cocky shit which was interesting but Eva's take really surprised me. Even the language the adults used around Shinji felt very guilt-trippy and manipulative, I can't imagine the effect putting a weight like that on a clearly very timid 14 year old would have. I think the episode showed his struggle with this very well, or at least that's how I've interpreted it.
SlurpppMar 11, 2021 5:53 AM
That's kinda cringe but I laughed
Dec 29, 2020 9:55 PM

Aug 2019
huh, that was interesting. Shinji did a lap of the country i guess, but then got caught and thrown back. Excited Nerv but i'm guessing will re-enter. Either way he made up with those other 2 guys that seem decent now.
If i could say one thing about this episode, it would be the visuals and art were pretty nice.
i also wanna say, i feel slightly concerned about that Rei girl, i'm guessing she's about shinji's age, but has probably been in a Eva more then him, and she's always injured and referred to as some subject to Unit 00. If shinji is already snapping after a few runs, then i can't imagine wtf Rei's deal is.

i wanna say something about the end, but tbh not even i have anything for that ending that hasn't already been said. It was just, 1 minute of Japanese train station announcements ASMR.
Jan 22, 2021 2:27 PM
Aug 2020
This episode felt like a giant waste of time.
Feb 16, 2021 3:38 PM
Mar 2020
Wow that silent long pause hit differently..
Mar 1, 2021 6:26 AM

Mar 2010
I dislike all the adults in this anime so far. Misato brought him back and tells him BS.
Mar 2, 2021 9:05 PM

Mar 2017
I liked other episodes, but this one was bad. The staring at the end for 1 minute was dragged to much.
It felt like a 40 minutes episodes actually.
Mar 6, 2021 3:17 PM

Nov 2019
I found this episode to be very slow and utterly boring.. Am I expecting maybe to much from this anime? Some users wrote this was one of their favorite episodes, and this scares me a little..
Mar 7, 2021 4:55 AM

Dec 2015
PumaZ3TA said:
Some users wrote this was one of their favorite episodes, and this scares me a little..

You are right to be scared. You're expecting something else than what this is (trying to be). Good continuation if you dare going further. ^^

PS: I also thought this was a very good episode.
Mar 7, 2021 5:17 AM

Nov 2019
Rei_III said:
PumaZ3TA said:
Some users wrote this was one of their favorite episodes, and this scares me a little..

You are right to be scared. You're expecting something else than what this is (trying to be). Good continuation if you dare going further. ^^

PS: I also thought this was a very good episode.

Good to know! :D
I have some memories as a kid when I saw my dad watching this series, and after all those years I finally decided to watch it myself. I promise to be very open minded through all the episodes :)
Mar 8, 2021 1:55 PM

Jul 2020
Can't wait to see Rei get some screentime because I think we've had enough of Shinji for now.
Mar 12, 2021 6:38 PM

Jan 2016
The slow pacing, Shinji just wandering around and the hedgehog dilemma again. I must say I really liked this episode. (watched it 2 times, almost three but the first got interrupted).

I knew this series wouldn't disappoint.
OutsiderRatMar 14, 2021 2:30 PM
Mar 13, 2021 8:32 PM

Dec 2013
This episode is the quintessential pleb filter. Determines who's worthy of watching NGE and who isn't.
Mar 17, 2021 3:28 PM

Jun 2020
Shinji's depressed adventures
Mar 21, 2021 8:03 AM

Jun 2016
It seems less like Shinji's found himself at home and more that he's realized that there isn't anywhere else for him. A pretty good episode, though I can see why some people don't appreciate it much.
Apr 27, 2021 5:39 PM

Apr 2021
Why would you scold a child for doing something nice?

2/5
May 7, 2021 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Lol, that ending scene where they just stare at each other for a full minute. I guess I can't complain... this has to be one of the only passable examples of a still frame done right. I like how they had dialogue in the background... I don't know what they're called, "subway/train announcers"... to show that, while it was a significant moment for Shinji and the chick, that life was still happening around them.
May 22, 2021 12:30 AM

Jul 2019
Really quiet episode. Whether that means looking into the psychology of Shinji or something else is something idk of.

Alr ep tbh
Jun 7, 2021 11:21 PM

Apr 2020
Pretty nice development of Shinji. He's now positive to pilot Eva. Good thing that this development was done this early
Jun 11, 2021 10:51 AM
Mar 2021
Why do people find shinji annoying? Because his reaction to the stuff happening is realistic? People see too much generic shonen
Jun 11, 2021 10:51 AM
Mar 2021
Why do people find shinji annoying? Because his reaction to the stuff happening is realistic? People see too much generic shonen
Jul 22, 2021 4:33 AM
Jul 2021
This ep was honestly great. Shinji's two male friends get some characterization and become the catalyst to make Shinji want to stay and accept his role in things. I understand the "Get in the damn robot Shinji!" memes, but I also understand that Shinji is genuinely a scared kid whose life is completely upended by a distant father who doesn't even talk to him despite him being essential to his own career. His dad sucks. He lives with a woman who pretends to be overly cheery but he likely understands is manipulative, and he had no friends up to this point.
Aug 8, 2021 4:34 AM

Jan 2021
The long pause was kinda uncomfortable
Aug 12, 2021 5:57 PM
Aug 2020
gosh is this anime made just for me bc it's unbelievable how much i relate to shinji
Sep 30, 2021 10:56 PM
Mar 2013
Rewatching this after a long time to watch the last movie, it's so interesting, loved this episode.
Oct 31, 2021 7:33 AM

Aug 2020
Lol, so dumb. My dude is literally dealing with trauma and mental health issues, and this is how you treat him? Let alone he's only 14 years old, has no friends (kinda), and has daddy issues. My dude needs counseling, not scolding.

As for the episode itself, It's my favorite so far. Not much story, just time to flesh out the characters.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 22, 2021 9:31 AM
Nov 2020
This is one of the best episodes of the series. Pure character and done so artfully. Love it.
Dec 14, 2021 8:47 PM

May 2019
I'm absolutely hooked to this show (and I'm not a mecha fan) it's so good.
I really like Touji for some reason, his aesthetic just looks really cool and he's got this wild personality.
There were some scenes in this that really used various colors to exemplify a lot of points. The art really works for me.

Brilliant episode showing how ruthless Shinji's father is and also how fragile Shinji is.

I realize this is mostly all hero's journey archetype stuff but with the epic world building, post-apocalyptic vibe and whatever the angels are, it's done really well though.

That long stare was just to really show that Shinji has someone who actually cares about him in a parental, protective way. His realization of it and Misato's epiphany that that's what he needs.
Dec 24, 2021 1:15 AM

Apr 2020
This is my first mecha anime. So far so good.
water
Dec 30, 2021 6:58 PM

Jan 2019
This is getting harder to watch with each episode. They don't hold back in showing how relentless is the pressure that forces Shinji to protect everyone, and how severe the resulting depression is.
SheklonJan 1, 2022 9:56 AM
Jan 2, 2022 7:44 AM

Jul 2021
I'm getting angry already. Shinji doesn't make up his mind if he's going to drive or not, how long will he stay with that? I hope that now your choice to drive has been final.
asdasdsadad
Jan 23, 2022 8:36 AM

Feb 2021
For a 14 y/o Shinji is going through a lot of stress and trauma. Dude is mentally disturbed. He doesn't even seem sane sometimes. I agree that what all is going on is putting a huge psychological toll on him.

I liked Aida's solo roleplay lol.

I'm glad both the boys made up.

Looks like Shinji ain't leaving anytime soon.

Mar 29, 2022 3:53 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 29, 2022 10:09 PM

Dec 2021
love the symbolism in certain scenes during shinji's runaway. shinji's walkman repeating, the theater scene, the scene wheres he's alone in the street. i also did not realize the first time how shinji was in a lose/lose situation.
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
May 14, 2022 7:48 PM

Oct 2020
This was a slower episode, but I definitely felt it was necessary since we got to explore the psychological impact that all this Eva stuff has had on Shinji.
People call him a wimp, but since day 1, he's been doing this to help others. He got into the Eva because he saw Rei's condition and felt bad for her. Then, once he gets closer with those two classmates, he realized how horribly their lives will be displaced if he doesn't pilot the Eva and defend the city.
None of this is out of self-preservation -- he's unsure of himself, but he seems to have a lot of empathy for others.
Jun 26, 2022 12:57 PM

Dec 2007
didn't expected this kind of episode lol.

i knew that shinji wouldn't "leave", but i do hoped it would fit his character. in the end it was done fairly well.

the direction in this episode was one of the best.
Aug 9, 2022 12:45 PM

Mar 2018
Shinji is so fu*king obnoxious to watch. Unless they decrease his appearance, I doubt in the quality of this show.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 9, 2022 1:19 PM
Oct 2011
Luchse said:
Shinji is so fu*king obnoxious to watch. Unless they decrease his appearance, I doubt in the quality of this show.
Why do you find him obnoxious?
Aug 9, 2022 1:21 PM

Mar 2018
animalia said:
Luchse said:
I despise useless characters. My preference was always for those who act when in peril and not the teary-eyed twat the Shinji is.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 9, 2022 1:38 PM
Oct 2011
Luchse said:
animalia said:
I despise useless characters. My preference was always for those who act when in peril and not the teary-eyed twat the Shinji is.
Fair enough. Shinji whole character constantly vacillates between whining and taking action. And while it doesn't bother me, I can see how it could get on some people's nerves.
Aug 18, 2022 8:02 PM
Oct 2021
adsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsaadsa
Sep 11, 2022 2:31 PM
Oct 2018
GOES HARD!!!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Sep 13, 2022 7:22 PM

Jul 2017
i feel for Shinji. he's depressed and needs time to heal, it's not easy to go through all of this bullshxt at 14 years old. getting bullied at school, being the new kid at school, having a father that doesn't give a fvck about him only when he needs him for something, also having to risk his life to save the city, driving the mecha was a traumatic experience for him bc duh i too would freak out if i had to face death in battle, also he doesn't want to drive the mecha but he's still doing it to protect the girl cause she's in no shape to drive a mecha herself, plus he's a lonely kid with no friends, and he's away from home and living with adults, i mean this is insane, and all of this does effect Shinji's mental health. if anything he's really doing his best. i'm glad this anime showcased how boys also suffer from mental health issues and it's not a joke. fvck toxic masculinity.
pickyotakuSep 13, 2022 7:31 PM
Sep 13, 2022 9:55 PM
Aug 2022
less action packed episode, but that doesn't bother me at all. i tend to be gravitated towards series with action in them, but it's not really the action itself that interests me. and this episode pretty much proves that. this is definitely the calmest episode so far, and i really needed that after the chaos of the first three episodes. the calmness actually helped me appreciate the art and backgrounds in general. it's so whimsical, and well.. it's an aesthetic for sure. there's a reason why 90's anime aesthetics are so prominent. the grainy texture and the colors used feels so nostalgic even though i wasn't alive during the 90's and that i didn't even have anime apart of my childhood.
anyways, the plot of this episode is that shinji decides to run away, but in the end decides to stay for whatever reason that will hopefully be answered later. the "i'm home" line shinji said after missing the train gave me chills. also the two boys that tagged along with shinji last episode were actually pretty cool characters! i liked them being around. not sure if they'll return but i wouldn't mind.
Sep 21, 2022 3:13 PM
Sep 2021
this show is already just really great
Sep 25, 2022 7:02 PM
Sep 2022
One of the best animes I have ever watched. The best lore, best world building, best characters, best interpersonal conflicts.
Oct 14, 2022 1:31 PM
Oct 2020
i do enjoy this show a lot
Oct 21, 2022 2:18 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
F*CK YEAH Shinji just showed that train who's BOSS

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 20, 2022 10:59 PM

Jan 2022
This episode is pretty much what NGE is about. It's deeply lonely and you feel the isolation as Shinji turns his back on his responsibilities. Misato is so hard on Shinji here yet I think she's like that because deep down she wants him to run away. She's clearly struggling with the guilt of using a child soldier and by pushing Shinji away she's doing so to void getting hurt. She's just like him in away, trying to run away from responsibility. But despite all that heavy stuff it's still a hopeful ending, where the promise of a brighter future presents itself, so long as we are willing to step up and meet it.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 13, 2023 5:57 AM
Jun 2014
To see a giant robot fighting anime spend an entire episode on the quiet reflective feelings of its main character is definitely a sight to behold. I didn't quite expect this. The episode was good, I'm really appreciating how important the characters are over everything else. Evangelion feels like it starts a bit rocky, episode 1 throws you right in without knowing much of what's going on and then you feel like you're stumbling along as you run to catch up - and an episode like this is a good time for not only Shinji to reflect and come to terms with what he's been through, but also the viewer. Very important episode.

I'm not a fan of giant robot anime, I find them very boring and it was difficult to even start this anime... but honestly, it looks like Evangelion is shaping up to be more than that. I'm hoping it can continue to surprise me like this.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.