Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (22) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 15, 2016 12:48 PM

May 2010
Great episode, i can't wait for the next!!
May 15, 2016 12:49 PM

Mar 2015
Fappa said:
Didn't you hear Rem talk about the witches stench and how it confirms it for her that he has to do something with the Witches Cult and a witch in general? Since the stench seems to get stronger and stronger with every loop the first time he died in episode 4 seemed to be enough for Rem to notice it and kill him in episode 5.

I am not sure if anyone mentioned the witch's scent before Betty does so in the beginning of 4th loop - I had to re-watch the scene and Rem actually did mentioned the scent. It could be the reason why he was killed in the second loop as well. I didn't paid attention to it as Rem basically enumerated all opposing parties as a part of interrogation.
May 15, 2016 12:49 PM

Jul 2012
Could Emilia have multiple personalities and be the Jealous Witch? Or perhaps the Jealous Witch possessed her at one point?

Cause in episode one, Subara was told by her to call her Satella in his first life.

If not that, then the witch or whoever is attacking Emilia, is able to use that weakening curse at a remote distance or is able to get into the mansion and do it anyway or is threatening Rem.

Well, if the witch is responsible for Subaru's resets, then I don't see why she'd keep killing him actually. Maybe the witch is against some other group.

Anyway, up until now the fact that he hasn't talked about his multiple deaths is a big plot hole, but apparently he said it and Emilia didn't hear him? Or was he prevented from saying it before he actually said it?

Can he indirectly tell them about it or about what he remembers? We know he's not going to, because the show is going to annoyingly make Subaru do anything except make them realize the situation he is in because he'll be too busy doing random nonsense after assuming talking about it directly means he can't say other indirect stuff.

I doubt he's going to even ask anyone about the witch's smell that's on him and what it means or how to get rid of it - which on its own could help clear his name and show that he's not part of the anti-Emilia group.

----

Holy shit, I just realized this is a 25 episode anime and this is only the 7th episode.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
~ Ch-ch-ch-data

Visit my Discord community: VGData.
For games, anime, & music.
May 15, 2016 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
kidlat020 said:
Satella said:

It was even better in the anime. How he came to realization was pretty flawlessly portrayed.

---

Beginning scene had me in tears. Subaru's speech really moved me.

The music at 17:05 was so touching. Can't wait for the release of the OST

Best episode yet. Easy 10/10

umm, you probably don't get it.

subaru was at that point very afraid of the maids. for them to hold his hand, at the state he was currently at worse...

instead of comfort, the manga readers were instead disturbed by that page. it was supposedly an ironic reception of sorts.

Like I said, it was better in the anime. Sure they weren't holding his hands, but the subtle shift from the light to the twins, with the eerie music playing, and suddenly Subaru seeing distorted images of the twins.

How was this comforting?

If we're going to call out parts not being adapted, it really should only be him not waking up to apologize to Emilia. Otherwise, the adaption went pretty smoothly.
May 15, 2016 12:51 PM

Jan 2016
I JUST WANT TO APOLOGIZE TO YOU WHITE FOX

IM SORRY ABOUT ALL THE THINGS I SAID TO YOU DURING THE AKAME GA KILL FIASCO. IM SORRY

WHITE FOX, YOU GUYS ARE GODS! I LOVE YOU
May 15, 2016 12:52 PM

Apr 2015
Could Emilia have multiple personalities and be the Jealous Witch? Or perhaps the Jealous Witch possessed her at one point?

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedMay 15, 2016 1:48 PM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
May 15, 2016 12:52 PM
Feb 2016
This an intense episode, I must say, Re: Zero is an exquisite anime it only get's better each episode. The fact that Subaru is a complex character that evolves each episode almost makes me believe that he is alive.

I really felt sorry when Subaru was tortured by Rem this episode it was gruesome and difficult to watch, his screaming and his emotions were really intense and I give my Kudos to the fantastic voice acting this episode, the fact that the OP and ED were no present this episode just proves how this episode is to the series.

I quite felt that the author boxed himself in with the fact that Subaru can't tell anyone about his condition and the fact that some people can smell the stench of the jealous witch on him, but this just proves that they are building a good story with complex story telling and unpredictability.

I am very inclined now to read the novel / manga but am seriously afraid of the spoilers this has become my favorite anime this season and I want to keep this intense feeling alive, I want to guess the next episode and fail, try to understand the motives for what happening to him and fail, this is really an interesting show that deserves all the Hype it get's.

I'll give this episode a 8.5 / 10 this was great!!!

Good Luck Subaru I am waiting for your happy ending.
May 15, 2016 12:55 PM

Apr 2015
Satella said:
kidlat020 said:

subaru was at that point very afraid of the maids. for them to hold his hand, at the state he was currently at worse...

instead of comfort, the manga readers were instead disturbed by that page. it was supposedly an ironic reception of sorts.

Like I said, it was better in the anime. Sure they weren't holding his hands, but the subtle shift from the light to the twins, with the eerie music playing, and suddenly Subaru seeing distorted images of the twins.

How was this comforting?

If we're going to call out parts not being adapted, it really should only be him not waking up to apologize to Emilia. Otherwise, the adaption went pretty smoothly.

sorry, that 30 second animation wasn't eerie in the slightest. my face was a complete blank all those while.

timestamp is 10:05
kidlat020May 15, 2016 12:59 PM

May 15, 2016 12:55 PM

Oct 2014
LoneWizard said:

-Witch called Subaru to this world

We don't know if she did that, actually?
Remeber last episode about the Dragon and how the Dragon protects the royal family?

We only know that the Witch might have done it, or have something to do with it.
May 15, 2016 12:56 PM

Apr 2014
Half way in and Subaru is acting all pussy and think of himself only. And grow a ball at last 1 min of episode.
Rem is dead because of a curse? O_o
Wonder what he will do after his restart...too bad he was cursed to be unable to tell about his ability.
May 15, 2016 12:56 PM

Jul 2009
Wow...this was super intense, the feelings I've got with this episode are so many and they range from anger to hope in such a small span of time. Quite depressing to see him in the true hell which is the infinity loop of death-revival.

Goddammit, looks like I've guessed it right about the witch and Subaru is really f**ked, I just want to know how he will get out of this mess in 1 piece without sacrificing someone or something.

By far this is one of the best episodes in this year which I've watched. 5/5
May 15, 2016 12:57 PM

Aug 2009
Wow this episode was insane, especially the beginning, I could really feel Subaru's pain while he was crying to Rem. Everyone seemed to be a little miffed about Subaru's happy-go-lucky attitude but it seems all this dying finally broke him.

That cliffjumperhanger too, although I sure as hell wouldn't give my life for someone who simply murders out of suspicions...I'd probably freak out every time I see her face again. Also, what if since he made it past the fourth night, his checkpoint is now the morning of the fourth day? Rem would still be dead no matter how many times he dies.

Can next week come faster ;_;
ephraimeMay 15, 2016 3:13 PM
May 15, 2016 12:58 PM

Jan 2014
Shrimperor said:
LoneWizard said:

-Witch called Subaru to this world

We don't know if she did that, actually?
Remeber last episode about the Dragon and how the Dragon protects the royal family?
True,actually...With the current information it is either Dragon or Witch,one or the other called Subaru and gave him this "power"...But because of the mentioned "witch scent" i would say it is %90 witch,%10 dragon at this point....

Inb4 Dragon is actually the bad guy and witch is trying to save the world...
May 15, 2016 12:58 PM

Apr 2013
That ending felt so epic. I hate using that word but that's really what describes it I think.

Chdata said:
Holy shit, I just realized this is a 25 episode anime and this is only the 7th episode.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Whoa whoa I forgot, so much has happened already ahh this is exciting.

May 15, 2016 12:59 PM

Nov 2011
Ram mentions the smell when she meets him in the forest too, so I felt he should have asked more questions when Beatrice mentioned it. But omg when she sliced his throat I was like "Oh shit!" pretty intense.

Rem and Ram aren't bad they just want to protect Emilia which I can't blame them for wanting to kill Subaru.

It broke my heart when Subaru told Emilia to leave him alone...then she stood up for him and he said "I'm sorry" I was like GOD DAMMIT!!!! Seriously these two need to be together.

That ending though. "Because I love you guys." Epic as can be.

I feel bad for Subaru though, Like I'm surprised he made it this long and hasn't crashed yet. I mean we got a taste in this episode and he basically said "Fuck it" Looks like though he won't have those feelings anymore.

Interesting that he killed himself for the first time.

Also curious what is really wrong with Ram. Really hoping Subaru can save her.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 15, 2016 12:59 PM
Jul 2015
mozgow said:

So it's almost certain that in the first loop he died due to a curse.
In the second he was dying because of a curse but was killed by Ram once Rem died (also due to the curse).
[/spoiler]

Ram isn't the one with the weapon, so the one who killed Subaru was Rem.
May 15, 2016 1:00 PM

Jun 2013
Its cool that subaru knows how to peel vegetables without cutting himself. Since Rem said she doesn't remember he probably wasn't taught in that episode, but even though he died he still not only has memories, but the skills he acquired before death.
May 15, 2016 1:02 PM

Mar 2015
kidlat020 said:
Satella said:

It was even better in the anime. How he came to realization was pretty flawlessly portrayed.

---

Beginning scene had me in tears. Subaru's speech really moved me.

The music at 17:05 was so touching. Can't wait for the release of the OST

Best episode yet. Easy 10/10

No no no. You are the one who don't get it. Because they were holding his hands, he can sleep through the night and didn't wake up from his nightmare until Betty woke him by force. They were comforting him, not scaring him. He even described that it was one of his reason to jump off the cliff.

May 15, 2016 1:03 PM

Feb 2014
another ~~~CLIFFHANGER~~~

ba dum tss

okay sorry

May 2016
Amazing adaptation by White Fox. You can tell they really care about this series.

And now the real suffering begins, which reminds me: how come this series doesn't have tags for Drama and Psychological? Even though the series does fall under "Fantasy" and "Adventure", the fact that it's just those two adds to the misleading key visuals and synopsis.

Feb 2015
The AOTS delivers yet again...

As someone who has no knowledge of the source material, this is an amazing thrill every week. I've heard tale that it gets much darker and it's finally starting to show it's fangs and I'm super hyped because I have no idea what will happen next.

As for the episode itself, the first few minutes may have been one of the best scenes I've ever seen in any anime. PERFECT voice acting, great music, characters breaking out of their stereoptyical personalities, and I couldn't help but get a knot in my chest listening to Subaru as he broke down. You won't find a better mixture of perfect directing, perfect music composition, and perfect voice acting than that.

Also, almost 300 votes on this at the moment and it has over a 96% 5/5? That may be the highest I've ever seen on here. Even the shitposters can't deny this is the show of the year.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2016 1:04 PM

Jan 2014
zKitsune said:
Its cool that subaru knows how to peel vegetables without cutting himself. Since Rem said she doesn't remember he probably wasn't taught in that episode, but even though he died he still not only has memories, but the skills he acquired before death.
There is no such thing as "skill" in real world...Skills are teh combination of experience(memory) and training your body if it involves heavy physical activity...
May 15, 2016 1:05 PM

Nov 2011
I have nothing but praise. o_o

I just f*cking love the guy now. Going through that shit. Just Damn.
All I have is respect for Subaru. I know its going to get progressively worse.
May 15, 2016 1:06 PM

Mar 2010
Best episode in so far. I had some worries on how this would have been adapted with amount of material they were put in, but it worked out pretty well. They really nailed Subaru's emotional turmoil caused by the fact people constantly forget the histories and relationships he only remembers which changes his relationships with them thanks to all the build up to this point. Shame some I would like had been cut

But it is a minor thing, which was done primary for the pacing.
May 15, 2016 1:07 PM

Jul 2015
bonglordXd said:
mozgow said:

Ram isn't the one with the weapon, so the one who killed Subaru was Rem.

And where do they store the weapons? Is just Rem able to enter that room? These questions aren't solved, so Ram could've killed him.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
May 15, 2016 1:07 PM

Dec 2014
Subaru is one heck of a dude... dying like that it is so difficult even thinking about it
Rem and Ram quite intriguing characters
May 15, 2016 1:08 PM

Jan 2015
Damn I really liked Ram this episode and the emotions that were on display were really moving. Also the beginning was the first time that I truly felt for Subaru was a bit hard to watch seeing someone with all those past experiences and someone without them.

WF truly going all out between the facial expressions and the soundtrack and the pacing everything is done so well. Can't wait for next week since Re:Zero always ends on a cliffhanger.

@DarklordVor Your best grill got what was coming to her for killing Subaru.
bobzannyMay 15, 2016 1:14 PM
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 15, 2016 1:09 PM

Mar 2014
Well now it seems like we sorta know that Subaru's power comes from the witch and if he tries to tell anyone about this power, the spell that was put on him will make him fear not telling anyone.

I wonder if Beatrice is the one putting the curses on people and is the one responsible for Rem's death, and for Subaru's in the first loop.

Apr 2015
DarklordVor said:
kidlat020 said:

No no no. You are the one who don't get it. Because they were holding his hands, he can sleep through the night and didn't wake up from his nightmare until Betty woke him by force. They were comforting him, not scaring him. He even described that it was one of his reason to jump off the cliff.

and that's the thing actually. the maids in this timeline doesn't harbor that murderous intent they have on subaru --yet--. but for subaru, and especially to the readers/watchers, it was different. way too different.

it's pretty hard to explain since the animation only showed the scene *like that*.
kidlat020May 15, 2016 1:15 PM

Aug 2014
shanimebib said:
O M G !

What an episode! I am not sure I can stick with a 9/10 for much longer if this keeps on going beyond my expectations.

That Leap to Restart sent shivers down my spine, and probably the best ending to any episode this season of [InsertAnyAnime].

Those who are ogling on Kabaneri, if they aren't watching this, are missing out the best show of the season, and the real contender for AoTY this year. I have spoken.

Here hoping they maintain this level of intensity and excitement for the remaining 18 episodes!

Kabaneri, Re Zero and Boku no Hero Academia best three this season.
May 15, 2016 1:11 PM

Dec 2014
Is there a manga for this I only found volume one... This sho always leaves you hanging... I want to know already

Apr 2015
This is getting repetitive but I like it.

Jan 2014
kidlat020 said:
They were comforting him, not scaring him.

how does it feel that the ones comforting you are also the ones out there to hunt you down?
They were there to comfort him,rewatch the scene where he is having nightmares and the nightmare disappears when twins hold his hand...They felt sorry for him there and helped him...

Killing him is something comes later adn happens for different reasons...I cant explain 4 episodes worth of content to you 1by1 in a post sorry...
May 15, 2016 1:12 PM
Apr 2016
So... hate time traveling themes since they go full re... frontal absurd and that is why everyone likes them.
It, apparently and obviously, IS against the rules to tell anyone about the whole setting. But, however, IS NOT against committing a self-inflicted return to save some two stupid demon girls one of whom is a psychopathic !dumbo!.
To conclude, it has 24 episodes. Tasty.
I bet it's the dragon. He can not protect the *world* himself and thus summons the kid and gives him the power. I bet they end before even hinting on the actual truth.
Re:formed
May 15, 2016 1:13 PM

Jul 2015
ibraheem234 said:
Is there a manga for this I only found volume one... This sho always leaves you hanging... I want to know already

The manga only covers three(?) more chapters than those, that are already adapted.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
May 15, 2016 1:13 PM

Jan 2013
Rafaello_Myles said:
I quite felt that the author boxed himself in with the fact that Subaru can't tell anyone about his condition and the fact that some people can smell the stench of the jealous witch on him, but this just proves that they are building a good story with complex story telling and unpredictability.

He is still the guy who handles the world as a Visual Novel and wants to be a completionist who gets all the girls.
And of course, it works thanks to mysterious saturnine magnetism of harem protagonist, this time Betty fell for it.
He wasn't happy for a token loli spirit though who suddenly came to join his side.
It would be quite assuming to watch as he keeps hitting on all the girls while murderous conspiracy spreads around him.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
May 15, 2016 1:15 PM
Apr 2016
kidlat020 said:
DarklordVor said:

and that's the thing actually. the maids in this timeline doesn't harbor that murderous intent they have on subaru --yet--.

but for subaru, them holding his hand was literally hell.

Oh man I detest myself for hanging out in discussion threads since everyone is SO DENSE!
They were holding his hand when the *shaman* was applying the curse, resulting in Rem being on the receiving end instead. This is so plainly obvious Get Real.
Re:formed
May 15, 2016 1:15 PM

Apr 2015
ibraheem234 said:

There are 3 different manga of Re:Zero. Each of them adapt another arc.

The manga of arc 1 is finished ( probably the one you found )
The manga of the second arc is still ongoing but almost finished; it's name is RE:ZERO KARA HAJIMERU ISEKAI SEIKATSU - DAINISHOU - YASHIKI NO SHUUKAN HEN
The manga of the third arc is currently ongoing with 12 chapters in I think, but it's not translated yet.
May 15, 2016 1:17 PM

Apr 2014
The episode was absolutely flawless. The voice acting, camera angles, facial expression and the usage of lighting were all done brilliantly. Like I said in the first episode, the adaptation is in good hands.

kidlat020 said:
Satella said:

How was this comforting?

sorry, that 30 second animation wasn't eerie in the slightest. my face was a complete blank all those while.

timestamp is 10:05

Sorry but the anime portrayed that scene way better.
May 15, 2016 1:19 PM

Apr 2015
interestingly enough this episode covered chapter 10.1 of the manga. yes, 10.1. implying this episode/chapter was added way later than originally planned.

I'm betting the author did this to add the "I can't tell this to anyone" plot thread.

May 15, 2016 1:25 PM

Jan 2013
dem the witch ost was so on point

mysterious, evil and beautiful

my favorite thing about re zero is that the antagonists are actually terrifying
May 15, 2016 1:26 PM

Sep 2014
Wow. predicted the shit out of this one in the last ep discussion, he wants to save them ofc.
Give me a fucking break.
May 15, 2016 1:27 PM

Dec 2015
White Fox is incredible.Best season anime.
May 15, 2016 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
The_Deceiver said:
Wow. predicted the shit out of this one in the last ep discussion, he wants to save them ofc.
Give me a fucking break.

dont worry the story stops being predictable and happy after this arc
May 15, 2016 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
juicykitten95 said:
my favorite thing about re zero is that the antagonists are actually terrifying
Exactly,because unlike %99 of the anime out there bad guys CAN do bad stuff to main characters...
May 15, 2016 1:31 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, best episode yet.
So rare to see an anime skip both the opening and the ending and the preview to give every last second possible to the story.
May 15, 2016 1:32 PM

Sep 2014
juicykitten95 said:
The_Deceiver said:
Give me a fucking break.

Unless he strangulates the maid at some point (or at least has a wish to do so) I have to worry.
May 15, 2016 1:32 PM

Aug 2015
Wait.. so he went to the forest to look for the culprit, apparently Rem decided to do that too by following Subaru and killing him. She didnt gain any information from him anyway so that was pointless. Then Subaru hides, then kills himself by promising to save Rem and Ram... What did we get from these episode?

WE already knew that Subaru will save both of them anyway since he care about them, even if they suspect him... It wasnt a conclusion or something, it was just his nature. Or am I wrong? And why did nobody cared where Subaru went for 4 whole nights? I loved the execution of this episode, I just dont understand few things. Someone can help?
May 15, 2016 1:36 PM

Aug 2008
juicykitten95 said:
The_Deceiver said:
Give me a fucking break.

but I need predictability and happy to stay sane.
May 15, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
LowOfSolipsism said:
Wait.. so he went to the forest to look for the culprit, apparently Rem decided to do that too by following Subaru and killing him. She didnt gain any information from him anyway so that was pointless. Then Subaru hides, then kills himself by promising to save Rem and Ram... What did we get from these episode?

WE already knew that Subaru will save both of them anyway since he care about them, even if they suspect him... It wasnt a conclusion or something, it was just his nature. Or am I wrong? And why did nobody cared where Subaru went for 4 whole nights? I loved the execution of this episode, I just dont understand few things. Someone can help?
1-He didnt "gain" anything...He was scared shitless once he learn half of the people living in the mansion probably want him dead and he cant even tell Emilia about the situation so he hide to save his ass

2-He cares about them but he thought twins were heartless monsters that didnt care about him,but then he realised thats not entirely true so decided to save them again

3-They cared when Subaru went missing,Dont you remember Emilia asking him that exact question?Right after he leave the library at the end of episode?
LoneWizzyMay 15, 2016 1:47 PM
Pages (22) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

725 by motakku »»
3 hours ago

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.