Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 2016 8:19 AM

Oct 2014
AcidPunk said:
The pacing sucks in this anime adaptation. It feels really rushed. Maybe it's because instead of you taking your time to think the solution in the game they just solve the case really fast in their head. I hope they change this because it really felt like solving the case was effortless. It felt like a speed run of the game really

Or maybe, just maybe it was because half of the first case in the game consisted of explaining the gameplay elements, like the court record, how to cross examine, how to present evidence, etc.
Apr 2, 2016 8:24 AM

Feb 2016
Grey-Zone said:
No, you are right about that. The subtitles were not really "wrong", but they weren't really right either. Let's just say they were "off-mark". Mia should have said something along the lines of "think outside the box", instead it was unnecessarily complicated by using "think from inside out".
I played the game a long time ago but from what I remember it was something like Don't doubt if the clock was slow. Assume that it was and find out the reason why it was slow
Apr 2, 2016 8:25 AM

Apr 2010
Oh, for people who were complaining about having to adjust to the Japanese names, Crunchhyroll actually has an alternate subtitle track that uses the localized ones. You just have to right-click on the player and choose it from the menu. I appreciate that they included it, but I also appreciate that they didn't make it the default. It's good to have options.

The first episode was kinda meh, but I liked the voice acting and I thought the animation was good enough. I can't think of anything they really did wrong in adapting this case, it's just not a very interesting one when you get down to it. It's better as a tutorial than a story introduction.

Anyway, considering how bad some video game adaptations have been, this is absolutely fine. 3/5. We'll see if it improves with Turnabout Sisters, the first case that actually matters.
Apr 2, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Should have been Kyoto Animation, their Haruhi Ace Attorney parody is better.
This reminds me of Gakkou Gurashi! in that they are both shitty adaptations.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Apr 2, 2016 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
Not bad tbh. Pretty corny and I'd definitely recommend the games over this to people who aren't familiar with the franchise (not that the tutorial case was ever any great shakes) but at least it kept the characters' personalities intact. I liked that Crunchy gave us the option to switch between subs for the names- much better option than picking one set of them and ticking off a good chunk of the fanbase either way.

The references to later games in the series were nice touches too.

The opening was probably the most (unintentionally?) funny part. I was cracking up when it showed the whole gold chain of fate thing with Phoenix and Edgeworth along with the running montage
Apr 2, 2016 8:29 AM

Sep 2013
Grey-Zone said:
AcidPunk said:
The pacing sucks in this anime adaptation. It feels really rushed. Maybe it's because instead of you taking your time to think the solution in the game they just solve the case really fast in their head. I hope they change this because it really felt like solving the case was effortless. It felt like a speed run of the game really

Or maybe, just maybe it was because half of the first case in the game consisted of explaining the gameplay elements, like the court record, how to cross examine, how to present evidence, etc.

Yes the tutorial case really doesn't translated that good into an anime. I think this is going to be a problem for me because the next episode also covers a tutorial part of the game and really is not as fun watching the case being solved than solving it yourself.
Apr 2, 2016 8:31 AM

Mar 2012
hmmm i was actually expecting less. the animation is still bad and i will have trouble getting used to it. also why did they keep the cross-examination and the objection original song but not the pursuit one?

i won't say that much about the case pacing since it's the case i dislike the most and it's not even enjoyable in the game so of course it wouldn't be in the animation

at least it's watchable
Apr 2, 2016 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
Well the music from the game is in the adaption~ Hope we'll get to see Sheriff Marshal and his theme this season;
Apr 2, 2016 8:32 AM
Jul 2014
They are too hasty , and anime has 0 % stress just stupid comedy,
Apr 2, 2016 8:33 AM

Dec 2013
as a pretty hyped up AA-fan I don't know how I should feel about this.
Not really into Yuki Kaji as the voice for Naruhodo / Wright. The English voice in Dual Destinies (the 3DS game) was pretty spot-on in my opinion - I hope they cast him for the anime, should it be dubbed in English!
Animation was okay I guess, they fooled around a bit. At least they adapted 95% of the first case to the anime.

4/5 episode for me (bias included haha)
Apr 2, 2016 8:53 AM

Mar 2015
I don't know if it's just me,

but this show reminds me of Danganronpa...
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Apr 2, 2016 8:55 AM
Jan 2016
Rukodaime said:
I did not play the game(s), but...this anime is definitively bad.
Trying to copy the game doesn't work in this anime...
This anime is just a joke :
- The name of the protagonist are a joke : Naruhodo and Yahari ?
- This case is a joke : They give us the culprit from the start...
- The fingerprints of Yahari are on the weapon by pure luck (no way the actual culprit could have known about it) => If the fingerprint of Yahari are found on the weapon, this mean our true culprit did not even take the time to clean it. How come nobody talk about another pair of fingerprints ? (without even mentionning that the culprit has been in the house touching everything)

- This case is even more a joke : The first "revelation" is done by using an hint we did not even know about it (time). Naruhodo just glance over the list of evidence and find it. Right... (it's ok for a game when you are the ONE looking for the answer).
- A lot of stuff does not even make sense : Culprit => I did not want to get in the apartement ; Judge => Why did not use the phone in the appartment ? ; Culprit : There was a shortage of electricity.

- The first revelation should have been enough to at least make the witness unreliable. But, the judge does not really care,
- The final revelation (time lag)... you already probably found out by the middle of the episode.

Basically, nothing stands out : the case, the character or the animation.

Dropped.
(I can not believe the rating of this anime is over 8...).

1) The anime/game is comedy. Word play is very much one of its endearing characteristics
2) The reason the culprit is given at the start is to concentrate more on taking down witness testimony by presenting evidence
3) The prosecutor was the one who pointed about fingerprints. AND the killer wore gloves
4) The phone was wireless, and wireless phones still need electricity
5) The first scene was pointed to us viewers, not to the characters of the game

If you are going to criticize, please do it well.
Apr 2, 2016 8:59 AM

Dec 2014
Welp, that was disappointing.
Apr 2, 2016 9:00 AM

Jan 2016
I honestly enjoyed it more then i thought i would! The opening and ending Were ok, but i loved how they implemented parts from the game in to the anime successfully!

Good start and im sure it will only get better!
Apr 2, 2016 9:00 AM

Sep 2010
note: I've read up to the third case in the 2nd game.
Ouch... What a waste of a potentially good license. I somehow managed to rack up a long list of complaints just with the first episode. >.>

-The initial "thud" sound when the victim is killed isn't loud enough, and isn't followed by the sound of their body hitting the floor.
-The scene with the bike and establishing shots of the setting don't fit. It's meant to be a sort of dystopia where crime got so high that they only have three days for trials.

-The tone is too comedic, considering that Phoenix's friend is on trial for murder. I don't remember the game being this goofy (except for the circus case), and it hasn't been that long since I read it. Larry/Yahari butts in too many times, far more than in the game, and you naturally forget that he's on trial for murder and the witness is trying to frame him.
-The classroom trial doesn't fit here. It's more relevant to something much later.

-The pacing is too fast. The game let the witness tell a credible story, and append it many times in an attempt to frame Phoenix's friend, only for Phoenix to use different pieces of evidence to knock it down every time. This made the case fun, despite it being easy, and despite you knowing the culprit from the start. It's satisfying when the judge comments that the repeated additions are damaging the witness's credibility. It's not like they were short on time. Just omit the unneccesary stuff I mentioned instead of blazing through the evidence. >.>
-The gusts of wind knocking Phoenix back and knocking the witness back just don't fit in a story that's supposed to be at least vaguely grounded in reality and full of logic and reasoning.

-The courtroom is more imposing in the film. Here, it doesn't feel like there's any pressure or danger at all.

-The "objection" just feels... wrong. Objections in the games or in the film are terse, and focused on the person making the objection, not on who it was being made to. I feel that repeating a shot 3 times _can_ be good for something that you've been building up to for a long time, but that doesn't apply here at all.

-Too many police officers storming the courtroom at the end. It just seems to create the wrong tone after you've gotten the witness indicted for murder...

I though I should hold back on reading some cases so I could watch them in the anime first, but that seems like a really bad idea now. >.>
Apr 2, 2016 9:01 AM

Jan 2013
How the fuck did they fuck up this?

Why did they change this:

To this:
bastek66 said:
Really cheap animation, probably same A-1 team as Denpa Kyoushit
THE TOUPEE DOESN'T EVEN LAND ON WRIGHT'S FACE

Fucking ruined. A-1 a shit.
Apr 2, 2016 9:05 AM

Oct 2014
^Changed for convenience. It's weird to always have a "judge POV" look at the courtroom all the time.

The other change was OK too. There is no reason why it can be considered bad by some people other than "it's not 1:1 taken from the game!"

I am only talking about the content here. The art&animation indeed has some problems, but meh, who cares about the graphics. As if anyone cared about the pixel graphics in the game...
Grey-ZoneApr 2, 2016 9:08 AM
Apr 2, 2016 9:10 AM
Jul 2014
Well, it deserves better. This one did not delivered.
Apr 2, 2016 9:12 AM

Feb 2013
Surprisingly, it isn't awful.

I hope it continues to not completely mess up.

Crossing fingers it gets to case 2-4
Apr 2, 2016 9:18 AM

Jun 2013
they revealed the killer in the first 20 seconds how does that work?!
Apr 2, 2016 9:21 AM

Oct 2014
Axelucard said:

Tutorial case. It's the ONLY case where the killer is revealed (to the audience) beforehand.
Apr 2, 2016 9:24 AM

Jun 2014
Just why this court is so carefree. Lol
I was expecting some serious stuff.
Edit: This is just so stupid. I'll watch next episode only if there is some positive stuff being said
Akatsuki_NinJun 18, 2017 3:58 AM
Apr 2, 2016 9:31 AM

Apr 2010
Grey-Zone said:
Axelucard said:

Tutorial case. It's the ONLY case where the killer is revealed (to the audience) beforehand.

Not true. There's another case where the killer is revealed beforehand.
Apr 2, 2016 9:32 AM

Apr 2014
FUCK dude I love Ace Attorney to death and I really enjoyed the adaption so far.
I hope they're able to animate all the way to Godot's story at least. :)
Apr 2, 2016 9:32 AM

May 2008
Rukodaime said:
I did not play the game(s), but...this anime is definitively bad.

Play the games instead if you're gonna criticize it.

As a fan of AA for years this adaptation is nothing special but still pretty watchable.
Apr 2, 2016 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
seems interesting, a good start even though the case was so predictable
hope the cases will last more episodes (at least 2 episodes per case)
Apr 2, 2016 9:36 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
I know of the game and I am looking forward if the anime can do it justice.

Name of the main character ist Naruhodo, hmm. I see..
The 3D scene of the courtroom seemeed really cheap to me. The drawn scenes were kind of lacking detail, too. And the sound design was sometimes weird: The background music didn't fit the atmosphere of the scene and weird sound effects werde used for stuff.

After the case, confetti was raining to celebrate, I guess.. When did that ever happen in court?
I don't remember the last time i got blown away because someone was pointing at me.
These two times i really enjoyed the comedy aspect.

First episode was expectedly underwhelming. But well, i will keep watching the rest of this show.
BratiApr 2, 2016 9:41 AM
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Apr 2, 2016 9:42 AM
Apr 2016
It was both funny, but also a bit of a let down.
In my opinion, the 'comedic animations' that work for a game, shouldn't be used in a show. The average comedy I see in anime should've been plenty, but a mere objection causing a whirlwind that knocks people of their feet?
this isn't an action series with auras and magic forces (yet)
While I know the story is gonna throw in some good darkness, I fear the weirdness of the japanese my corrupt it a little bit. Hope they won't cater to the weeyaboos too much
Apr 2, 2016 9:44 AM
Sep 2014
TR-8RCaim said:

To this:
bastek66 said:
Really cheap animation, probably same A-1 team as Denpa Kyoushit

This is the greatest travesty, that toupee throw is what sold me on the games when I was first playing through them.
Apr 2, 2016 9:44 AM

May 2008
Axelucard said:

The objective isn't to pinpoint who the murderer is (unlike Danganronpa) in the cases, but to find the contradiction in the so-called "witness" testimony. Anime adaption didn't work very well as you have to search the crime scene, talk to characters and presenting evidence in the games.. which the anime didn't show.
Apr 2, 2016 9:51 AM

Jun 2015
Well, I was hoping for new cases / original story though. Didn't know that it's the first game which is being adapted. And btw, the animation is a little bit game-like, isn't it (plus the GS5 style, perhaps)

Heartman said:
TR-8RCaim said:

To this:

This is the greatest travesty, that toupee throw is what sold me on the games when I was first playing through them.

^ This made my day XD
Apr 2, 2016 9:54 AM

Jun 2014
I never played the games but I thought this was average so far. It was interesting to watch but as of right now, nothing really stands out to me. I kind of like how they keep some video game mechanics in there though, you can easily tell that this is based off of a game even if you've never heard of this before watching the anime. I'm not gonna criticize too much just yet though, I'll see how I feel after a few more episodes.

Just based off of what I've skimmed through in this discussion thread, it looks like this will be one of the anime this season where every episode thread is a complete shitstorm. Kind of like Erased last season, and One Punch Man back in Fall. Visiting these forums should be fun to say the least.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 2, 2016 9:56 AM

Sep 2009
I have completed the first two games. Basically, I feel that you'll get the most out of this if you've already played the games.

I thought that it was a good adaptation. Many people are criticizing it but a tutorial case would never translate that well as the game is teaching you how to play. You wouldn't include those scenes in a show. The killer is revealed in the beginning to help you with this. The later cases are what really matter and when it gets interesting. However, part of the reason that there's tension and emotional payoff is because you are trying to find the contradictions. In the end-game cases there were times when I was completely stumped. Unfortunately, some of that tension is lost when the characters are doing the work for you.

It had some new music and I totally grinned when they started playing the remixes. Of course, it wasn't that polished with some sloppy animation, but I'm willing to give this adaptation a chance.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Apr 2, 2016 9:56 AM

Nov 2008
Anyone that hasn't played the games shouldn't be watching this.
Apr 2, 2016 10:02 AM

May 2008
KWabbit said:
i agree with this. the older games can be obtained easily online, so why aren't people who have time to watch this anime play the games first. really though
Apr 2, 2016 10:07 AM

Jun 2008
I think this doesn't really work as an anime at all, no wonder it took so many years for this to get an adaptation. The animation studio was probably really desperate for any source material so they grabbed this even though it's perfect as a game.
Apr 2, 2016 10:08 AM

Jan 2014
That was so average. Even for an A-1 anime.

Why didn't CAPCOM let Bones do it like they did with the Layton game? Hell, the 3 minute trailer is already better by comparison.

I'm guessing they're only doing up to the DL-6 Case (I swear, if they fuck that one up, I'm going to kill someone).

Whoa there, Phoenix. Isn't it three games early to be using this?

If they plan to do the Investigations series with A-1, I want someone to kill me before it releases.
MagicalMahouApr 2, 2016 10:12 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2016 10:09 AM

Aug 2013
and people say the Danganronpa anime adaptation was bad....
Apr 2, 2016 10:10 AM

Aug 2007
ArdenFolgore said:

Well the original VN series have always been goofy as fuck.

Jepp, ep 1 was still pretty tame. :D

The pacing was a bit off and the finale was... disappointing to say the least. Still an okay-ish first episode. I hope the next case will be more fun when they invest more time for it. Yay for Maya.
Apr 2, 2016 10:22 AM

Jul 2007
Not like. this. Not like this.

I was hoping for Ace Attorney anime for YEARS.
But not like this.

The animation is piss poor with QUALITY everywhere.
Most of psychological aspects, tension and build up removed.
The pacing is awfully fast. It leaves zero time for viewers to actually think about what is going on or try to solve stuff.
The translation/adaptation from game to anime is too direct and dry.

1/5 for the episode.
Please improve. Please Improve. Please Improve :[
Apr 2, 2016 10:24 AM

Jul 2012
Psyche_Izaya said:
Anime adaption didn't work very well as you have to search the crime scene, talk to characters and presenting evidence in the games.. which the anime didn't show.

This case didn't have investigation in the game either...investigation will begin next week with Turnabout Sisters, and that will probably make things more interesting and fun to watch. The First Turnabout wasn't that good in the game either, just a tutorial and an introduction to Phoenix, Mia and Larry.
Apr 2, 2016 10:24 AM

Oct 2014
I think this will probably end up as one of those anime adaptions that you should watch in one go.
Apr 2, 2016 10:25 AM

Oct 2014
Okay, I really liked it, but that is only because I have played all the games and am a fan of the series. I can tell that people who start with this will probably not like it. Yes, it seems way over the top, but when you're playing the game you don't tend to notice it as much, but on screen it's kinda comical. The music has been okay, I'm glad they kept some of the themes from the games, but I hope they put more in eventually.

All in all, I'll probably keep watching it till they stop making it XD
Apr 2, 2016 10:28 AM

Aug 2013
Well, expected a lot more coming from a game with a lot of positive reviews, disappointing beginning but we'll see how this continues, 2/5.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Apr 2, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2008
This adaptation is way too faithful for its own good. I don't see it working for anyone but fans who just want a 1:1 adaptation.

I loved the game, but if 1st ep is anything to go by I may drop this before the first cour is over.
Apr 2, 2016 10:31 AM

Feb 2016
Yukino-shit-a said:
Lol wth is up with that hand? They showed that guy wearing a sleeveless XD and now he suddenly has full sleeved court and shirt XD. I know this is nitpicking but that's really just careless.
You have a good eye. I honestly didn't notice that. But as others said, they kept it subtle but they meant for you to notice it.
Apr 2, 2016 10:37 AM

Aug 2010
KWabbit said:

This.
Please don't ruin your first experience with this series with the anime adaptation. Play the games instead, they're much more enjoyable.
Apr 2, 2016 10:37 AM
Jul 2014
2.5/5.

It was too cheesy and not enough seriousness.
Watashiwa!
Apr 2, 2016 10:43 AM
Aug 2013
So a case that took 2-3 hours in the original game was rushed in about 10-15 minutes, and they took out a lot of key points and contradictions that led to the final contradiction, and of course took out a lot of funny moments and a lot of the epicness that was the original game.

I think I'm dropping this. Really poorly done. Anyone watching would be better of playing the games. Your missing out if you haven't and are watching this.
Apr 2, 2016 10:46 AM

Feb 2016
Maxsk1 said:
So a case that took 2-3 hours in the original game was rushed in about 10-15 minutes, and they took out a lot of key points and contradictions that led to the final contradiction
While your concerns with it being rushed are not unfounded, this case takes only about 35-40 minutes in the game and that is when you have to listen to testimonies again and again to find contradictions.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Mia Fey

FiddlePie - Feb 22

4 by FiddlePie »»
Feb 23, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

56 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2016

40 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 11, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2016

48 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

44 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 9, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.