Forum Settings
Forums

Why female lead characters didn't have much favorites ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 1, 2016 9:31 PM

Feb 2016
A lot of Female characters from the anime I have seen arent well developed or not respected

Only FMAB does it well for its Female characters

And my second favorite Steins gate only has one good Female Character

Females arent popular in Anime just accept it

Or well respected or well developed
Apr 2, 2016 6:48 AM

May 2012
Paul said:
Almost every shoujo, the male lead will have all the favorites. I honestly can't tihnk of a shoujo romance where the female lead has more favorites than the male(s).

Shirayuki seems more popular than Zen from Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. And I don't see how anyone could pick one of the men from Saiunkoku Monogatari over Shurrei. (I know Seiran has a solid following, but Shurrei is still the star of the show.)
Apr 2, 2016 1:51 PM

Jan 2008
SeijiSensei said:
Paul said:
Almost every shoujo, the male lead will have all the favorites. I honestly can't tihnk of a shoujo romance where the female lead has more favorites than the male(s).

Shirayuki seems more popular than Zen from Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. And I don't see how anyone could pick one of the men from Saiunkoku Monogatari over Shurrei. (I know Seiran has a solid following, but Shurrei is still the star of the show.)

Well I did say most, not all. I mean I know Skip Beat, one of the highest rated shoujos on MAL, the female lead has the most favorites. But in comparison to a good majority of the shoujo romance shows, ones where the girl is more popular tend to be the minority and usually in those cases, neither are really that popular to begin with.

Though Akagami no Shirayuki-hime doesn't exactly fit my description of the rest of my previous post since it lays off that pandering, at least Zen doesn't fit my vision of a 'sexy hot guy'.

Not really sure about Saiunkoko Monogatari since I haven't seen it but it doesn't really work when the entire cast has a low amount of favorites to begin with.
Apr 2, 2016 4:22 PM

Aug 2014
Mamster-P said:
Snappynator said:
Looking at the most popular characters, you'll see that all of them are from mainstream/extremely popular shows in the west - Naruto, Fairy Tail, Death Note, SAO etc. (essentially gateway shows or mainstream shounens)

I highly doubt it has anything to do with an unconscious bias or anything and more to do with the shows themself.

he said "female leads", not " the star of the show"

Gasai Yuuno is not the star of Mirai Nikki, but still the female lead

you could still pick the leading female character from those shows most popular in the west, yet no one does, they pick the guys

female lead =/= show that stars a girl
And again, that isn't related to some kind of subconscious thought that males>females. That's related to people liking the male lead characters more, because those are prominent in the most popular mainstream animes, while also being likeable for the mainstream audience that makes up a pretty big part of the fandom. Not to mention how some of the female characters (Lucy from FT or Sakura from Naruto) are badly written and rather hard to like. Additionally, even a female lead can be considered just as important a character as the male lead, Yuno being a prime example of that (far more favs than Yukiteru).
Also Mikasa, Asuna, Makise, Yuno and several more gots tons of favs, many of them (such as Mikasa, Yuno and Senjougahara) even beating the male lead by a landslide.
Apr 2, 2016 4:33 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Snappynator said:
Mamster-P said:

he said "female leads", not " the star of the show"

Gasai Yuuno is not the star of Mirai Nikki, but still the female lead

you could still pick the leading female character from those shows most popular in the west, yet no one does, they pick the guys

female lead =/= show that stars a girl
And again, that isn't related to some kind of subconscious thought that males>females. That's related to people liking the male lead characters more, because those are prominent in the most popular mainstream animes, while also being likeable for the mainstream audience that makes up a pretty big part of the fandom. Not to mention how some of the female characters (Lucy from FT or Sakura from Naruto) are badly written and rather hard to like. Additionally, even a female lead can be considered just as important a character as the male lead, Yuno being a prime example of that (far more favs than Yukiteru).
Also Mikasa, Asuna, Makise, Yuno and several more gots tons of favs, many of them (such as Mikasa, Yuno and Senjougahara) even beating the male lead by a landslide.

yea but theres like 13 male favorites before Yuuno.... they aren't THAT GOOD
Apr 2, 2016 8:08 PM

Feb 2011
Illyricus said:
Probably because the series who have females lead are less known that shows who have male leads. The Top 10 of MAL fave characters consists in:

1-Lelouch Lamperouge
2-L
3-Luffy
4-Edward Elric
5-Light Yagami
6-Rintarou Okabe
7-Gintoki Sakata
8-Zoro Roronoa
9-Kirito
10-Naruto Uzumaki

All of them of very popular franchises. Just question a random anime watcher if he/she knows animes like Skip Beat and then if he/she knows Bleach or Code Geass, by example. The response will be obvious.

Just curious, where can I find these stats?
Apr 2, 2016 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
Why do you care that more people like guys than girls? .-.

It's not exactly sexist, it's a matter of who generally makes a better character.
Apr 2, 2016 8:18 PM

Mar 2015
Dragon said:
Illyricus said:
Probably because the series who have females lead are less known that shows who have male leads. The Top 10 of MAL fave characters consists in:

1-Lelouch Lamperouge
2-L
3-Luffy
4-Edward Elric
5-Light Yagami
6-Rintarou Okabe
7-Gintoki Sakata
8-Zoro Roronoa
9-Kirito
10-Naruto Uzumaki

All of them of very popular franchises. Just question a random anime watcher if he/she knows animes like Skip Beat and then if he/she knows Bleach or Code Geass, by example. The response will be obvious.

http://myanimelist.net/character.php
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 3, 2016 3:08 AM

Jul 2013
Dragon said:
Illyricus said:

1-Lelouch Lamperouge
2-L
3-Luffy
4-Edward Elric
5-Light Yagami
6-Rintarou Okabe
7-Gintoki Sakata
8-Zoro Roronoa
9-Kirito
10-Naruto Uzumaki

Just watch the TOP MAL characters in the Industry section of MAL's menu.
Apr 3, 2016 3:39 AM

Aug 2014
Mamster-P said:
Snappynator said:

yea but theres like 13 male favorites before Yuuno.... they aren't THAT GOOD
Whether or not those males are better than Yuno is debateable, but that's not the point - those characters are up there because people liked them more than Yuno, but that has nothing to do with sexism or anything like that - that has to do with what the majority prefers. And besides that, the fact there still are plenty of females with over 10k favs just further proves that the whole unconscious desires thing is silly.
Apr 3, 2016 9:24 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Snappynator

Who said anything about sexism?

And did I claim what o said was the truth? I'd elaborate, but I'm at work
Apr 3, 2016 9:40 AM

Aug 2014
Mamster-P said:
@Snappynator

I think I worded myself a little wrong there, since you wrote "people growing up with men as leaders", sorry about that. But what I'm trying to say is that I really don't think that is the case, because while there are lots of male characters with lots of favs, there are also plenty of females with lots of faves, so I don't think it's related in any way.

Speaking of which, OP, the question is simply that shounens are far more popular than shoujos, resulting in more people knowing about the likes of Gintoki, Natsu, Luffy etc. than Shoujo leads like Yona, Shirayuki etc.
Apr 3, 2016 9:46 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Snappynator said:
Mamster-P said:
@Snappynator

I think I worded myself a little wrong there, since you wrote "people growing up with men as leaders", sorry about that. But what I'm trying to say is that I really don't think that is the case, because while there are lots of male characters with lots of favs, there are also plenty of females with lots of faves, so I don't think it's related in any way.

Speaking of which, OP, the question is simply that shounens are far more popular than shoujos, resulting in more people knowing about the likes of Gintoki, Natsu, Luffy etc. than Shoujo leads like Yona, Shirayuki etc.

The female favorites are generally significantly lower compared to the males, so I suggested that as a possibility especially when I didn't know he was limiting it to shows that starred girls
Apr 4, 2016 11:41 PM

Nov 2009
mimiiria said:
I think it's a conspiracy by the patriarchy, to make all women feel insignificant by making the male characters more popular among anime fans. We must fight this oppression by forcing gender quotas on people's favorite character lists.

Gender quotas in favorite character lists sound interesting, but would make a lot of people feel that female characters are in reality more disadvantaged than they are.

-Mahesvara said:
Well for the five female characters currently in my favorites; consists of 1 supporting(Mayumi), 3 co-lead(Hitagi, Yukino, Rin), and 1 lead(Shiki). I haven't watched many series with a female lead and when I do I don't like the lead enough to place them in my faces.

My favorites include 2 main characters (1 male Shiroe and 1 female Kajiwara Sora), and 4 supporting (all girls, 3 of them smart and quiet types, and one Kurihara Nagisa).
Apr 5, 2016 3:42 AM

Oct 2015
Well, I don't know, but all my favourite characters are female :3
Apr 5, 2016 3:49 AM
Dec 2015
They need to have special characteristics to them so as to be chosen as peoples top 10. As most of the novels, manga and anime are male oriented so its hard for female mc to get in top 10. Like mine only has one and after watching anime and novel if people won't love that character it's a shame. But everyone has their own view.
Sep 14, 2022 4:17 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
It's because people like the main characters which are always male unless it's a shoujo anime.. but all my favourite characters are females

Sep 14, 2022 4:53 AM

Jan 2008
Anime with female leads tend to fall into a few categories. Either they appeal to a more niche audience. They are very average. Are not well advertised. Or aren't long running.

So they don't get the traction to create many favourites.

I see we are talking leading not just protagonist. In which case I'll add not very well written. Less popular then the male characters so end up second choice. Reduced to fanservice ect..
UberBatSep 14, 2022 5:00 AM
Sep 14, 2022 5:05 AM

Mar 2021
because female leads aren't as good as male leads its not that deep
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

59 by Daviljoe193 »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

67 by Gator »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

22 by nishant0 »»
10 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

48 by alshu »»
10 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

56 by alshu »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.