Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever felt like you were going nowhere?

New
Mar 20, 2016 4:49 PM

May 2014
I guess I've come to a moment where I feel like I've lost whatever drive I've had and noone is pushing me so I'm just in a state of limbo right now.

What do you do when you feel like you're going nowhere?
Discuss any stories, experiences or problems you have.
I've been here way too long...
Mar 20, 2016 4:50 PM

Jan 2008
everyday i feel like that because thats exactly whats going on

Mar 20, 2016 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
currently no :0 I feel blessed I basically feel like big sean atm
Mar 20, 2016 4:53 PM

Jun 2008
Only when I was waiting if I got accepted into grad school. The unknown was a scary thing and since grad school WAS my plan B, and no plan C in place, it was quite scary to think about the "what ifs" if I didn't get accepted.

Had a emotional discussion with parents about the future and set up a plan C in case it didn't pan out. And when I did get accepted, it was quite the defining chapter of my life trajectory. It was, to date, the happiest event in my life that have happened (although I guess certain dates was also quite happy as well). And would have changed my trajectory significantly if I got accepted or not. As someone who believes in parallel universes, a different me that didn't get accepted would've had a very different life.

tl;dr I would say having a plan / goal / objective, no matter what it is, is better than having no plans. Fearing for the unknown future is a feeling I never want to have again.
Mar 20, 2016 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
I float in that state of limbo for as long as possible, it's one of the only times I feel free. It's like a weight off your shoulders to live in the present and take things as they come, not trying to pre plan everything. You eventually get out of it automatically, real life always pokes its head in somehow (family, finances, school, etc).
Mar 20, 2016 5:08 PM

May 2014
@Tachii I did think about that but every objective or end I see seems filled with problems that are either too large to solve or I start to doubt if its worth the trouble to go too. In the end I do nothing.
I've been here way too long...
Mar 20, 2016 5:08 PM

Apr 2009
hmm well it really depends on
- your life situation
- on how big of a scale do you feel like you're going nowhere
- if you're depressed or just discouraged

w/o knowing any details, what helps me sometimes is concentrating on current (small) problems for a while, and ignoring the big picture. a lot of times we feel hopeless because we feel a lack of control in life.
if i spend a while cleaning up the house, or getting my eating habits in order, or doing some small things i've been neglecting for a while, i start to feel more in control again which gives me more confidence to tackle bigger issues. eventually i shift from the local to global view. what typically happens is that i feel empowered enough to accept that i cannot picture my future currently, and that it's okay to feel bleak sometimes because things do typically work out.
then i get discouraged again, lose track of everything, get anxious as fuck, and the cycle repeats.
it does really help to have people backing you up, though. support networks are extremely extremely extremely important. try talking to people you know. they probably won't say anything useful, but talking could help you clear your head.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Mar 20, 2016 5:42 PM

Jun 2008
TheConquerer said:
@Tachii I did think about that but every objective or end I see seems filled with problems that are either too large to solve or I start to doubt if its worth the trouble to go too. In the end I do nothing.
In my program we're taught to break an objective down to its components. Every goal can be broken into a series of smaller goals. Something as simple as buying stuff in a grocery store involves a series of smaller steps, such as: A) dressing up for going outside, B) thinking about what to buy, C) mode of transportation you'll use, etc. The ones I mentioned are only the preparation aspect as there's more steps on what to do when you actually get there.

A good goal is:
S - specific
M - measurable
A - attainable
R - relevant
T - timely

If a goal is too big, like you said, it will be hard for you to do it since it's so broad and complex. If a goal is too small, it will be unrewarding and likely you'll be unmotivated. That's why we're taught about SMART goals. A brainstorming process where you can craft meaningful objectives and a way of organizing your current thoughts into tangible behaviour.
TachiiMar 20, 2016 5:47 PM
Mar 20, 2016 5:44 PM
Mar 2013
Yes, for a long time now. I just do what other people tell me to so I feel quite disconnected from my own life since I haven't really made any decisions about it. Good thing I have escapism.
Mar 20, 2016 6:07 PM
Oct 2014
You are supposed to be the conquerer here, go and get it tiger.

Mar 20, 2016 6:08 PM

Sep 2010
All day everyday I feel like that tbh...
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 20, 2016 6:21 PM

Aug 2013
All the time bromego

I recently aced a job interview, got offered the job and then had to turn it down because reasons. Reasons that hold me back from doing anything with my life which I know without it I could easily do. If things were different I'd be out there working, have a car, my own apartment again. Instead of been stuck in personal limbo at 25. To know ones potential yet miss out because of stupid reasons is a real pi*s off. Its worse when you were a younger guy with the world at your feet, ready to take on anything, had offers coming in from all corners and thanks to personal problems instead led a secluded life for a while and when you think you might be ready to try again nobody wants you anymore. You're past your prime already.

From college, been offered jobs in games studios and the BBC and London calling to been a 25 years old and nobody even wanting to give you an interview locally.
SpooksMar 20, 2016 6:29 PM
Mar 20, 2016 6:25 PM

Mar 2016
Ii did when I decided to post on this thread.
Mar 20, 2016 7:56 PM

Sep 2007
Yeah, and then I get in my car and go somewhere. Then I drive back and notice I've gone nowhere. Been like that all my life.

Mar 20, 2016 8:23 PM

Jul 2012
Well good luck man.
I suggest trying new things you never know what you may find.

I haven't really run into that problem yet.

More topics from this board

» I got a girlfriend recently and she gets really emotional when i pay for things for her. Why do you think that is?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

22 by DigiCat »»
21 minutes ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - May 3

27 by elgatosaika »»
32 minutes ago

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - May 2

45 by Freshell »»
2 hours ago

» Have you ever really sit down and really think about the short term and long term effects of AI in your industry?

tsukareru - 3 hours ago

9 by Dracowyn »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - May 3

19 by Freshell »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.