Forum Settings
Forums

What are your thoughts on The Fine Bro's failed attempt to copyright every reaction video? (Updated)

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jan 31, 2016 11:30 PM

Dec 2012
Ferocious_Oni said:
Objurgo said:
@Ferocious_Oni They're not reaction channels, they're just teasing the Fine Brothers :P

Ok, I was just talking shit. :P

I just think it's funny how some of these reaction channels lost their shitty attitudes and turned into beggars when they heard the news.

It's still nice to see that the community knows that shit like this isn't okay :P
Jan 31, 2016 11:44 PM

Jan 2016
This guy called boogie2988 aka Francis did comment about this and raised some legitimate points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-vhZoO7wM

One point is that FineBros only copyrighted their brands like "Elders React", "Kids React", "Youtubers React" etc.... and that this has some positive effects on small time creators.

Another point is that this move is the cause of fears to people because it might justify the "crushing" of competition by FineBros.
Jan 31, 2016 11:51 PM

Sep 2012

I don't really care about any of this, but I just find it pretty funny how this backfired so damn hard.
Feb 1, 2016 12:03 AM

Jun 2015
Doesn't really matter what my opinions are.
It's quite obvious they made a huge mistake.

Feb 1, 2016 12:23 AM

Jun 2014
CapitalistGod said:

One point is that FineBros only copyrighted their brands like "Elders React", "Kids React", "Youtubers React" etc.... and that this has some positive effects on small time creators.

He does make some legitimate points, as they do put in trademarks for their brand, such as pointed out Adult's React etc and I have no problem with that.

However, they also put in a trademark for the word 'react' itself in regards to digital media and that to me is quite worrisome and is completely unnecessary for the 'goals' they talked about in their video. If it were not for this one trademark I'd honestly not have an issue with their ideas.

I can't link the trademark as it times out as it's session based, however, there is a picture on the first page of this topic posted by Protaku and it is legitimate.
Feb 1, 2016 12:30 AM

May 2015
Protaku said:
TheConquerer said:

Is this real? Holy shit they're losing so much its beautiful

Yup. There's several other websites holding a live count of their sub fall as well. You should have seen how fast it was going down yesterday.

LordIkage said:
Posted this on the other thread, posting it here as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43bqa1/lets_not_just_yell_about_the_react_trademark_lets/czh3w9f

all of their channels are losing subscribers, even mymusic has lost some

If more people read that link they'd have a better understanding of what's going on. The Fine Bros cherry-picked words won't fly.

I don't know why but this is so fun. I guess I dislike YouTubers for getting rich off crappy content, and now suddenly it falls apart. It's poetic.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 1, 2016 12:30 AM

Jan 2016
The fine bros made a bold statement, they shouldn't be suprised they got backlash.
RoreniaFeb 1, 2016 12:33 AM
Feb 1, 2016 12:42 AM

Jan 2015
Reaction videos are cancer incarnate. I hope they're burned off the face of youtube
Feb 1, 2016 1:36 AM

Aug 2015
How am I suppose to react to that article....... oops I said it, bet I'm gonna sue for this reply

And also I'm licensing the letters of the alphabet so pay me for using it before I contact my lawyers
Feb 1, 2016 5:21 AM

Mar 2014
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
reaction videos are all cancer. I could care less, I'm not going to watch them either way.

True. If you have seen one, you have seen them all.

Nigami_Shin said:
youtube is a great way to give "power" and money to retards who otherwise would sleep on the street. they can try to copyright their stuff - they will fail.

btw reacting videos as time capsules? god don't be so full of yourself. no one cares about this shit nowadays and even less in 100 years - teens react to miley cirus twerking....fucking idiots

Your post pretty much covered what I wanted to post 100%. Especially the first part.

Nice, Drive sig.

Lux_Lucis said:
Guys lets change the world tougether! Every time before you take a shit you PM me and I'll provide you with proper instructions. We film it and all the profits made we'll share 50-50.
We'll call it "Shit World".
This is truly a historic moment!

Haha that's pretty good. Btw nice sig. Too bad I already have a PSP.

> "i think Youtube is a pretty cool guy. eh sucks viacoms dick and doesn’t afraid of anything" - anon
Ban me plz
Feb 1, 2016 5:32 AM

Apr 2013
Damn I really liked some of their videos... but with that attitude I don't feel like supporting them anymore. I can do without them.
Feb 1, 2016 5:47 AM

Jul 2013
That's the dumbest thing they could do. Reddit's on fire because of them. Just look at /r/videos lol
Feb 1, 2016 5:51 AM

Apr 2012
They're bleeding subscribers.

Death by loss of subscriptions.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 1, 2016 6:10 AM

Jun 2012
I'ts funny, the best things that came out of this is the reactions TO the video itself. All the rage videos from outraged people reacting to this is just...... poetic.
Feb 1, 2016 8:10 AM

Sep 2013
They took on Ellen and buzzfeed XD
They are about to lose sponsors and fall into major debt since they have huge overhead costs that youtube money won't make up XD

R.I.P. finebros.
Feb 1, 2016 8:21 AM

May 2014
I did my part as a citizen of the Internet and disliked their videos and flagged their videos on my feed as not interested

Can't unsubscribe from a channel I was never subscribed to though
Feb 1, 2016 9:16 AM

Oct 2014
If my calculations are correct they lose about 240000 subs per day
So that means their sub count will drop lower than 10m in 16 days. This is a rough estimate though no guarantees. I'm not a math person.
Feb 1, 2016 9:20 AM

Feb 2010
It's completely ridiculous what they're trying to do. They are LITERALLY trying to trademark reaction videos. Like, how does that even make sense...?
Feb 1, 2016 9:23 AM

May 2015
Waiting for kids/teens/elders react to FineBros.
Feb 1, 2016 9:23 AM

Dec 2015
Cnon said:
So that means their sub count will drop lower than 10m in 16 days. This is a rough estimate though no guarantees. I'm not a math person.

Youtube should forcibly unsubscribe everyone from all youtube accounts. I want a fair game do over. Also all these old big youtubers just have a bunch of dead, and paid subscribers.

Feb 1, 2016 10:05 AM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Cnon said:

They are losing about 7 subscribers every 5 seconds. 7*12 = 84 subscribers per minute. 84*60 = 5040 per hour. 5040*24 = 120 960 subscribers per day. I took 7 since it's mostly between 5-10 unsubs every 5 second on here. This is also just a rough estimate though. We wont know for sure until later.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Feb 1, 2016 10:09 AM

Mar 2012
I only see static and hear a few big nosed kikes scream oy vey, does this happen to others as well?
Feb 1, 2016 11:01 AM

Nov 2014
they shouldnt be doing this, youtube is turning into some kind of corporate machine mimicking the TV and thats not what is was about but it is so commercial now it makes me sick
Feb 1, 2016 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
Reactions videos are so fucking stupid they should sue the people watching them also.
Feb 1, 2016 1:13 PM

Apr 2014
@j0x
@Objurgo
Some more quick, satirical parody videos poking fun at the Fine Brothers:

Jicetus said:
Cnon said:

They are losing about 7 subscribers every 5 seconds. 7*12 = 84 subscribers per minute. 84*60 = 5040 per hour. 5040*24 = 120 960 subscribers per day. I took 7 since it's mostly between 5-10 unsubs every 5 second on here. This is also just a rough estimate though. We wont know for sure until later.

Their live subscriber count is more like a doomsday countdown now. They might be the first people on Youtube to mess up this royally. They might even have to celebrate 10 million subscribers again lol.
Feb 1, 2016 1:18 PM

May 2015
Doubt they'll drop down to 10mil. Hope it happens, though. 5mil people unsubscribing because of one video is quite interesting.
Feb 1, 2016 1:18 PM

Jan 2009
Protaku said:
@j0x
@Objurgo

that second video is hilarious, a thousand yard stare

and i just notice the first video pronounce meme or may-mays as meeems
Feb 1, 2016 1:22 PM

Apr 2012
@J0x
"Meems" is the right way to pronounce it.

"May-may" is what stupid people use.

Autocrat said:
Feb 1, 2016 1:24 PM

Dec 2015
tayorous said:
they shouldnt be doing this, youtube is turning into some kind of corporate machine mimicking the TV and thats not what is was about but it is so commercial now it makes me sick

Youtube has been turned into this. Haven't you seen the homepage?

If only Youtube had competition. Google is too powerful.

Feb 1, 2016 1:27 PM

Sep 2015
I think its stupid, TheFineBros just want more money.
Feb 1, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2009
Immahnoob said:
@J0x
"Meems" is the right way to pronounce it.

"May-may" is what stupid people use.

ah ok, i still like the sound of May-Mays though
Feb 1, 2016 4:13 PM

Aug 2012
They're trying to monopolize reaction videos when they've been around way longer then there channel has. Seems like they're money hungry to me.

Hopefully this doesn't encourage other people to copyright other dumb things.
Feb 1, 2016 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really care about reaction videos and I don't care about TheFineBros either but this was just a stupid move.
Feb 1, 2016 4:14 PM

Sep 2007
The internet will lose interest by the end of the week and life will go on as normal. The Finebros will continue doing their thing and all the pitchfork wielding folk who probably don't even watch reaction vids will go complain about something else.
Feb 1, 2016 4:43 PM

Aug 2014
Everyone is really overreacting to this.

First of all, when the Fine Bros make a reaction video, they ask permission to the owner of that video to show the video in their reaction channel. Which makes it alright to do it and legal.

The thing is that when youtubers do a reaction video by showing the other video, they mostly never ask persmission of the copyright owner, which then the copyright owner would take the video down for infringement.

Now, it would be really bad if someone did a reaction video, asked permission of the owner of the video, and showed the video on his video, all legal, and then the FineBros would take down the video for being a reaction video. Now that would be bad. And I doubt that that would happen.
Feb 1, 2016 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
React videos always show me the interesting new memes coming up.

Also, the ones with the old people are usually funny. They're so set in their ways. <3

But yeah, pretty lame.
Feb 1, 2016 5:18 PM

Aug 2014
Chibi got rekt due to this im pretty sure. plus, FineBros has lost tons of sins already, but they will get it back eventually @_@

△ ▼ △
Deliveries
Anime Guild
Inquiries
Set by Nate
▲ ▽ ▲
Feb 1, 2016 5:55 PM

Sep 2009
Been watching that counter since yesterday, it's great fun. It'll be awesome if they hit 10 million but that does seem a bit ambitious. Still, even if they only drop to 12 million that's more than 10% of their audience.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Feb 1, 2016 6:42 PM

Jul 2014
Whole concept screams money grab, greedy bastards.

Feb 1, 2016 6:44 PM

Dec 2012
j0x said:
Protaku said:
@j0x
@Objurgo

I seem to have found myself in an argument in the comment section of the Merlin video I posted...

youtube said:
Feb 1, 2016 6:52 PM

Apr 2014
Shuuka said:
Chibi got rekt due to this im pretty sure. plus, FineBros has lost tons of sins already, but they will get it back eventually @_@

AnnoKano said:
Been watching that counter since yesterday, it's great fun. It'll be awesome if they hit 10 million but that does seem a bit ambitious. Still, even if they only drop to 12 million that's more than 10% of their audience.

Keep in mind that not only did they lose a small plethora of subs, it also cost them the several hundred they earned daily. So they've technically lost the subs they already had, the subs they usually earn, and their reputation is in the shitter which will severely affect the rate of their future subscriptions.

This is the sub counter I usually check out
https://akshatmittal.com/youtube-realtime/#!/TheFineBros
Good fun, the live stream videos of it on YouTube are good fun too.
Feb 1, 2016 6:57 PM

Apr 2012
Dude, it's a steady decline, it's not even looking like it's going to stop.

I hope they'll really get fucked up really hard. Maybe we won't have idiots trademarking everything and ruining shit up.

Maybe Sony will stop with the "Let's Play" trademark too (and if it happens, PewDiePie sues them, at least he'd be useful for something).

Autocrat said:
Feb 1, 2016 7:02 PM

May 2014
To provide another piece of evidence in their money-driven craze
I think Jaltoid's example probably helps you imagine how they'd actually treat their partners in REACT World
Feb 1, 2016 7:13 PM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
Dude, it's a steady decline, it's not even looking like it's going to stop.

I hope they'll really get fucked up really hard. Maybe we won't have idiots trademarking everything and ruining shit up.

Maybe Sony will stop with the "Let's Play" trademark too (and if it happens, PewDiePie sues them, at least he'd be useful for something).

They should have realized how royally they messed up, and their mistake will act as a deterrent to anyone else who tries to copyright everyday things and words.
PewDiePie vs. Sony though, sounds king of interesting lol. Because right now it seems to be The Fine Bros vs. Everyone on the internet. This is good.

Objurgo said:
j0x said:

I seem to have found myself in an argument in the comment section of the Merlin video I posted...

youtube said:

An argument on YouTube, no surprise here. I get into them every now and then on YouTube too, but they rarely do anything besides ad hominems anyway. At least MAL folks are usually more capable of better arguments and debates usually.
Feb 1, 2016 7:20 PM

Dec 2012
@Protaku nothing will change the fact that the communities on youtube are cancer :P

Also the classical music on the live stream is fantastic xD
Feb 1, 2016 7:23 PM
Jan 2016
Wow, the dislike meter on their update video is insane(more than 300,000). And honestly? Rightfully so. The fact that they thought what they were doing was one hundred percent ok is absolutely silly.

Not a big fan of watching their videos anymore after this development.
Feb 1, 2016 7:25 PM

May 2014
SymphonySpring said:
Wow, the dislike meter on their update video is insane(more than 300,000). And honestly? Rightfully so. The fact that they thought what they were doing was one hundred percent ok is absolutely silly.

Not a big fan of watching their videos anymore after this development.

Their videos were never good in the first place. Always made me want to cringe. Ugh.

gettttt dunked on!!!!!!
Feb 1, 2016 7:29 PM

Dec 2012
People are saying that they've taken both the announcement and update videos down
Feb 1, 2016 7:30 PM
Aug 2014
This Thread is clearly ripping of of your thread, protaku
I think you should get a trademark to protect your idea of "making a reaction thread to the fine bros"
Feb 1, 2016 7:35 PM

Dec 2012
Undim said:
A message from the Fine Brothers

Hello,

We’re here to apologize.

We realize we built a system that could easily be used for wrong. We are fixing that. The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern, and though we can assert our intentions are pure, there’s no way to prove them.

We have decided to do the following:

1. Rescind all of our “React” trademarks and applications.*

2. Discontinue the React World program.

3. Release all past Content ID claims.**

The concerns people have about React World are understandable, and that people see a link between that and our past video takedowns, but those were mistakes from an earlier time. It makes perfect sense for people to distrust our motives here, but we are confident that our actions will speak louder than these words moving forward.

This has been a hard week. Our plan is to keep making great content with the help of our amazing staff. Thank you for your time and for hearing us out.

Sincerely,

Benny and Rafi Fine

*This includes “React,” “Kids React,” “Elders React,” “Lyric Breakdown,” etc. Please note: It takes a while for the databases to update, but the necessary paperwork has been filed.

**Content ID is YouTube’s copyright system that automatically flags content that looks like or sounds like copyrighted content. This mostly flags videos that are direct re-uploads of our videos (which is what the system is built for), but if you know of a video that has been claimed or removed incorrectly, please email us with “false claim” in the subject line.

Don't know enough to know if this is really them.
Objurgo said:
People are saying that they've taken both the announcement and update videos down

At least they're trying to do some damage control :P
Though I can't imagine it's out of sincerity considering what they've done in the past with Ellen deGeneres' react segment and Buzz feeds
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

25 by ISeeLifePeople »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
9 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
14 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.