Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think are the principal problems of modern anime?

New
Jan 12, 2016 11:33 PM
Nov 2014
Tell us your opinion of this particular topic and discuss your ideas with people.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2016 11:43 PM

Jul 2012
nothing

they're fine the way they are
Jan 13, 2016 12:04 AM

Sep 2015
Nagirah said:
People are afraid/lazy to come up with something unique and keep reusing popular tropes and cliches they know will sell.

yes but thats a problem in the whole entertainment sector. games, movies, .... you name it

also i don't think they are too lazy for unique stuff
most of the studios don't have many reserve assets for failures, means if they produce two flops in a row it gets tight - also the competition is very hard. how many anime are there each season? 100? now try to have good sales with your average vn adaption to get some money for the next original work

anime became a big buisness long ago and that means almost no space for creativity and exceptionalism

Jan 13, 2016 12:05 AM

Jun 2008
Everything!!!

Anime is trash.....
Jan 13, 2016 12:05 AM

Apr 2015
Nagirah is right.

And maybe the amount of fan-service, but it follows the idea of Nagirah i guess ...
Jan 13, 2016 12:15 AM

Jul 2012
_Pingu_ said:
Nagirah is right.

And maybe the amount of fan-service, but it follows the idea of Nagirah i guess ...
fanservice transcends time. it's not as if old anime are fanservice-less and clean
Jan 13, 2016 12:19 AM

Apr 2012
Length of anime vs. content to adapt.
-In cases where the anime is short and a lot of content is cut or squeezed.
-In cases where the adapted content is too short and the anime is filled with fillers.

There are some interesting anime I would like to have had more than just 12 episodes. If the studio adds content of its own it's also fine.. just not fillers.
In other words, the following are not allowed: Beach, hot springs, pools and festivals.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!
Jan 13, 2016 12:21 AM

Jul 2014
Too many incomplete transpositions and late night otaku pandering shows. I would rather have one tenth of the actual series per season and longer adaptations of high-end series.
Jan 13, 2016 12:22 AM
Feb 2014
Nagirah said:
People are afraid/lazy to come up with something unique and keep reusing popular tropes and cliches they know will sell.

You are right but also slightly wrong. More or less, not necessarily overhauling popular tropes and doing a reversal of it, but making sure that it stands out in a way that similar anime do. Its why Umaru-chan struck it gold last year in a season seemingly filled with shows of that type.
Jan 13, 2016 12:30 AM
Nov 2014
Nico- said:
Nagirah said:

You are right but also slightly wrong. More or less, not necessarily overhauling popular tropes and doing a reversal of it, but making sure that it stands out in a way that similar anime do. Its why Umaru-chan struck it gold last year in a season seemingly filled with shows of that type.

But...Umaru-chan is bad...so bad :v
Jan 13, 2016 12:38 AM
Jan 2015
Bad adaptations have been and will always be the biggest issue for me.
My Queens

Jan 13, 2016 12:40 AM

Oct 2008
As a example I tried giving some recent sports related series a try,namely: Kuroko No Basket, Diamond No Ace,Yowamushi Pedal.

But they are simply just not good, and i'm not even trying to compare them with the classics of past generations, its just that they cant keep you interested no matter how much I try and they have this invisible line they follow to the teeth.

Like enough already with the yaoi undertones,enough with all the undermining the main character and making the supporting characters so much better in every possible way,enough with making absolutely everything about the series center around the playing-field WHEN THEY AREN'T EVEN PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMEN,its set in high school settings its not a actual high level field where it really is "do or die" kind of mentality and situation.Enough with the instant power-ups and making them set new world records each week.
But then they push the "oh they're a team" even if we barely see them interact on a personal level to actually set up a solid bond between them,its all just superficial at best.
amateurJan 13, 2016 12:44 AM
Jan 13, 2016 12:43 AM

Aug 2015
Honestly, there is not much of a problem really... But both the old/retro/pre-2000 titles and the newer/modern ones do have some good titles and some bad ones with respect of each category. We don't really hear those bad old ones from the much more 'experienced' anime fans, because more often than not, they only remembered the good old ones (these are the ones being recommended to us to be watched, like Eva, Utena, Lain, LoGH, Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Gundam etc.), and forgot the bad old ones (they only remembered those badder than bad shows though such as Sword of Truth and Psychic Wars [haven't watched these but I saw these on Bennett the Sage's videos] because those are terri-bad). If there would actually such problem, it might be the fact that the ratio of good ones to bad ones gets worse as time goes by, mainly because of the studios adapting light novel series into 12-episode TV series even if they are not actually finished.
Frankies_MonsterJan 13, 2016 12:50 AM

Jan 13, 2016 12:44 AM

Feb 2013
too many meh 13 episode series..
not enough sci fi..

but i think i wouldn't want to watch too many per season anyway so its k
Jan 13, 2016 12:47 AM
Nov 2014
romagia said:
not enough sci fi..

You are right we need more Sci-Fi...and less slice of life about cute girls doing cute things.
Jan 13, 2016 12:49 AM

Apr 2015
Thread said:
It sounds llike old animes hvent any problems.
I think it's about laziness, brainless & self-development.
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

Jan 13, 2016 12:51 AM

Mar 2008
1. lack of funding
2. anime's niche market
3. superabundance of adaptations undermining animator creativity
4. financial realities
5. money
6. money
7. money
Jan 13, 2016 12:51 AM

Feb 2013
ishiZY said:
Thread said:
well... What do you think are the principal problems of old anime?

El_Leon_De_Oro said:
romagia said:
not enough sci fi..

You are right we need more Sci-Fi...and less slice of life about cute girls doing cute things.
how about a harem slice of life with cute girls doing harem things?
Jan 13, 2016 12:53 AM

Jul 2014
It's not like there weren't bad anime in the 90s, the bad ones just get forgotten. In 10 years all the shit that came out in 2015 will probably be forgotten too.

Then again I've finished one 90s anime, and it's super hyped and popular.
Jan 13, 2016 12:53 AM
Nov 2014
romagia said:
ishiZY said:
well... What do you think are the principal problems of old anime?

El_Leon_De_Oro said:

how about a harem slice of life with cute girls doing harem things?

The same trash now with a protagonist that doesn't have personality...ewww
Jan 13, 2016 2:18 AM

Nov 2009
I think one of the problems is that it's hard to adapt some other medium to anime. An adaptation will never be as good as a series that is specifically intended to be an anime from the start. It's especially bad with light novels, as their medium works completely differently from anime - just compare a fight scene in SAO the LN and the same scene in SAO the anime.

But the anime makers don't have the money to take financial risks associated with making an anime-original or even adapting something very loosely. Well, sometimes they do, but that doesn't happen often enough.

Hige said:
I honestly think the biggest issue lies in there being too much content being produced for any one person to truly appreciate. After a while, it becomes really easy to be critical when you watch something vaguely similar in plot, characters, art style etc.

Now that I think about it, it's true. There's so much anime, and I don't have enough time to truly appreciate all of the ones that I might like. My "plan to watch" list just keeps growing.

El_Leon_De_Oro said:

How about cute girls doing sci-fi things? I'd like more of these kinds of shows.
Jan 13, 2016 4:45 AM

Jul 2014
The better the source material - the lower the budget of the adaptation.

Lack of 45-minute episode timeslots for anime which really need it to work right.

El_Leon_De_Oro said:
romagia said:
not enough sci fi..

But the Japanese are so awful at sci-fi.

For every 1 Ergo Proxy there will be 1000 Black Bullets or Captain Harlocks.
Jan 13, 2016 4:51 AM

Feb 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
El_Leon_De_Oro said:

hmm? i thought capt' harlock is a pretty well received series, part of the leijiverse and all that
Jan 13, 2016 5:22 AM

Jul 2014
romagia said:
Red_Tuesday said:

hmm? i thought capt' harlock is a pretty well received series, part of the leijiverse and all that

It may be, but it's not really sci-fi, it's more science fantasy.

Just like Battleship Yamato, most mechas etc.

There is a strong "make shit up as you go along" vibe from most Japanese sci-fi, with logical dissonances in technological and industrial design and waaaay too much suspension of disbelief sacrificed for the imaginary 'rule of cool' (rule of drool)

That's why I was super hyped for Comet Lucifer, because they had actually put thought into the mech designs to the point where they had sketches that seemed like they would work in reality. Too bad that was the only thought that went into Comet Lucifer.

Jan 13, 2016 5:25 AM

Aug 2014
The same problems that older anime faced when it was their era. What even....
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jan 13, 2016 5:29 AM

Apr 2015
Lacks of three-dimensional characters
Cliches, and
Jan 13, 2016 5:37 AM

Aug 2015
Lack of mexican and italian adaptations, tired of seeing the japanese culture in anime
Jan 13, 2016 5:41 AM

Apr 2013
Too often anime never get a continuation/conclusion. Considering how the industry works, I doubt that's ever gonna change, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 13, 2016 5:43 AM

Oct 2014
FreedChickens said:
Lack of mexican and italian adaptations, tired of seeing the japanese culture in anime
A strange complaint.

I think what bothers me is that there is not a lot of courage in the industry to pursue something that is against the grain. A lot of anime these days are very conservative in what they produce and stick to established demographics and markets that they know will sell. There have been some attempts here and there, but even some of the great anime that have come out in the last few years have historically still tapped into the well of the known.
Jan 13, 2016 5:43 AM

Nov 2009
geralt said:
Too often anime never get a continuation/conclusion. Considering how the industry works, I doubt that's ever gonna change, though.

They say it's because anime is only made as an advertisement of the original source, not as a product in its own right. Which is a problem.
Jan 13, 2016 5:46 AM

Aug 2015
  • Gay characters.
  • Overused Oppai service

I'm just talking about this season. Most well-known modern anime doesn't have much problem to point out.
Jan 13, 2016 5:47 AM

Aug 2015
masterofgo said:
FreedChickens said:
A strange complaint.

I just want to see Rubi being adapted in anime form
Jan 13, 2016 5:59 AM

Jul 2015
Z-Dante said:
  • Gay characters.
  • Overused Oppai service

I'm just talking about this season. Most well-known modern anime doesn't have much problem to point out.

What ?????????
I welcome both with open arms (well I don't really do yaoi but I don't have a problem with homo side characters)
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 13, 2016 5:59 AM

Aug 2013
Severe lack of high fantasy anime. Most fantasy anime nowadays come from LN adaptations with overall executions, settings, and character type that don't help them stand apart from one another.

Seriously, the more well-known 90s fantasy anime tend to have a lot of major differences between them. El Hazard, Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth, Record of Lodoss War, The Slayers, and Fushigi Yuugi all have more differences than commonalities between them. They are all very distinct from each other. It's clear they're not all borrowing from the same fantasy narrative template. In sharp contrast, I get the impression that modern LN fantasy stories do tend to borrow from the same fantasy narrative template.
Jan 13, 2016 6:04 AM

Jul 2015
Amiluhur said:
Severe lack of high fantasy anime. Most fantasy anime nowadays come from LN adaptations with overall executions, settings, and character type that don't help them stand apart from one another.

Seriously, the more well-known 90s fantasy anime tend to have a lot of major differences between them. El Hazard, Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth, Record of Lodoss War, The Slayers, and Fushigi Yuugi all have more differences than commonalities between them. They are all very distinct from each other. It's clear they're not all borrowing from the same fantasy narrative template. In sharp contrast, I get the impression that modern LN fantasy stories do tend to borrow from the same fantasy narrative template.

I feel like you just made an unfair comparison right there but I know nothing of old-school fantasy anime so I can't argue I guess .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 13, 2016 6:06 AM

Oct 2014
Amiluhur said:

I think Grimgar serves to demonstrate this, because even in something that seems more artistically devoted, there persists a formula that reminds us of something that we have watched before like SAO or otherwise.
Jan 13, 2016 6:08 AM

Oct 2011
More anime are being dished out each season and most of them I consider mediocre, adaptation-wise or presentation as a whole. While I still do enjoy modern anime and even these mediocrities, I prefer quality over quantity.
Jan 13, 2016 6:12 AM

Aug 2015
EvilDragon16 said:
Z-Dante said:
  • Gay characters.
  • Overused Oppai service

What ?????????
I welcome both with open arms (well I don't really do yaoi but I don't have a problem with homo side characters)
Homo side chrars aren't any problem in my eyes ( since they're just there for comic relief ) . But when a serious MC is homo , I can't help but say *WTF* .

And I meant the Watermelon boobs {±bouncing } as oppai service. I'd rather go for flat chested lolis.
Jan 13, 2016 6:22 AM

Jun 2012
My biggest complaint comes from the amount of incomplete and rushed series.

Was honestly digging Black Bullet for a bit before everything went to hell pretty early on with the shows pace, and then the show is not only left in a pretty big mess, it's also left incomplete.

No Game No Life and Deadman Wnderland were also series I was enjoying a lot, but again left incomplete and probably never going to be continued.

Modern anime is pretty much just focused on exclusively hooking people into a series to buy into the light novels / manga and the merchandise, instead of being a complete work itself.
Jan 13, 2016 6:26 AM

Aug 2013
EvilDragon16 said:
Amiluhur said:
stuff

I feel like you just made an unfair comparison right there but I know nothing of old-school fantasy anime so I can't argue I guess .

Well, look at the current state of fantasy anime then (or manga) then, the ones that deal heavily with politics, warfare, betrayal, while still infusing with greater awe and wonderment with compelling lore and social intrigue? Does that kind of thing still exist in post-2000 anime? Not gonna asking too much, isn't there any that close enough with El Hazard in terms of compelling storyline and characterizations?
Jan 13, 2016 6:30 AM

Apr 2015
It's really hard to find hidden gems and masterpiece in today's 'modern' anime.
Jan 13, 2016 6:31 AM

Nov 2009
EvilDragon16 said:
Amiluhur said:

I have watched most of the anime mentioned, and I feel the comparison is quite unfair, as those shows span quite a number of years.
Still, it would be nice if somebody gave examples of variety of modern fantasy anime. Or just a list of recent fantasy anime so that I won't have to look for it.
For example, Shiawase no Pan is quite unlike other fantasy anime. Maybe similar to Shukufuku no Campanella a bit. Maoyuu is another memorable one (and it's actually based on a LN).
Jan 13, 2016 6:36 AM

Jan 2013
3DCG in my opinion is a big problem for modern anime cause it looks crappy and doesn't remotely fit the medium's style
Jan 13, 2016 6:37 AM

Sep 2015
Bad / mediocre adaptations, especially where LNs are concerned.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 13, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2009
flannan said:
EvilDragon16 said:

I have watched most of the anime mentioned, and I feel the comparison is quite unfair, as those shows span quite a number of years.
Still, it would be nice if somebody gave examples of variety of modern fantasy anime. Or just a list of recent fantasy anime so that I won't have to look for it.
For example, Shiawase no Pan is quite unlike other fantasy anime. Maybe similar to Shukufuku no Campanella a bit. Maoyuu is another memorable one (and it's actually based on a LN).

El Hazard (1995), Escaflowne(1996), Magic Knight Rayearth(1994), Record of Lodoss War (1990, 1998), The Slayers (1995-2001), and Fushigi Yuugi (1995).
vs
Shiawase no Pan (2012), Shukufuku no Campanella (2010), Maoyuu (2013), Nanatsu no Taisai (2014), Magi (2012-ongoing), Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (2015), Bikini Warriors (2015)...

Overall, I think there is variety in modern fantasy anime too.
Jan 13, 2016 6:41 AM

Aug 2015
-Elevated- said:
3DCG in my opinion is a big problem for modern anime cause it looks crappy and doesn't remotely fit the medium's style
Bad news for you then. Almost all the modern anime are using more and more CG . And it'll just continue to increase in the future. CGs aren't always bad. Some studios just do crappy CGs because of low budget. So if I have to blame anything I'll just blame the low budget production.
Jan 13, 2016 6:43 AM
Apr 2013
Anime fans themselves who either don't contribute or have vague ideas on what they want.
Jun 2015
Because they're not focusing on an Ib anime or a Corpse Party remake.

Nov 2009
flannan said:
Shiawase no Pan (2012), Shukufuku no Campanella (2010), Maoyuu (2013), Nanatsu no Taisai (2014), Magi (2012-ongoing), Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (2015), Bikini Warriors (2015)...

And of course, Rokka no Yuusha (2015). Can't forget this one when it comes to variety. One doesn't get a high fantasy detective story every day.

Oct 2014
flannan said:
EvilDragon16 said:

Shingeki no bahamut is a modern fantasy anime and it is quite great actually so i think this comparison is quite unfair
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

23 by IKKIsama »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 12 hours ago

17 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by palm-tree »»
9 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

18 by Memore »»
16 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

59 by Saiunknown »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.