Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 11, 2016 3:11 PM

Aug 2013
This is a point of contention for many both the general public and those who have actually engaged with or been in therapy.

Do you believe in therapy as a treatment for mental illness and suffering. There are those who believe it indeed helps to seek professional advice and talk through problems with someone trained to Analise and help you overcome issues you may encounter in life and there are those who believe therapy and therapists to be useless or perhaps against the whole point, a person who is paid to care does not really care. Perhaps therapy is viewed as ineffective. Lastly there are those who believe only in the power of self help, God helps those who help themselves after all.

So to debate, the topic do you believe in the power of therapy?
Jan 11, 2016 3:20 PM

May 2014
I believe in good therapists and bad ones, I can't say it always works and I've never tried it but I believe it can help those who are in some kind of distress if done right.
Thats all I can really say.
I've been here way too long...
Jan 11, 2016 3:24 PM

Jan 2015
I'm of the belief that everyone should go see a therapist at some point in there life. The idea that only people who have "problems" need them is part of the reason that so many people don't.

That being said, I'm a total hypocrite because I've never been to see a therapist.
Jan 11, 2016 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
I believe that therapy can certainly be effective. It's more of a case-by-case though. Some people may benefit from just having someone to talk to in their life, having that appointment to look forward to actually keeps some patients going.

Even if the underlying problems aren't resolved in the end, it can still be useful to vent to a professional. I am also of the belief that therapy can be even more effective when combined with medication, if appropriate.
Jan 11, 2016 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
Nope, I don't see how sitting in a room with some overpaid dickhead telling you things you already know, is actually supposed to help.

Everyone I know that it has allegedly worked on, have been the same people who believe in homeopathy and channeling spirits.
Jan 11, 2016 3:38 PM

Nov 2013
I'll try to keep this as brief as possible to start with.

There are indeed good and bad therapists, they can vary drastically in there approach to help you. I've been through multiple therapists throughout my life, mainly when I was in my mid-late teens.

Some therapists would unfortunately plant ideas in my head that simply were not true, but made me feel they were a possibility. This didn't help, but only made me feel worse. As if I was suffering from even more than I thought.

On the other hand, I had a therapist that completely changed my way of thinking when it comes to things outside of our control. I was obsessed in worrying about death, the meaning of life, things of that nature when I was younger. It was always negative, I was as negative as could be really. Then one of my therapists told me that just because something isn't "good" doesn't mean it's "bad", instead it may just be neutral. It simply just is. This simple notion helped me considerably at the time, it gave me a whole new outlook on life.

She didn't have to tell me everything is rainbows and sunshine, just that not everything has to be considered shit when it's not great.

To sum it up, therapists are kind of a mixed bag.
Jan 11, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2012
I'm certain it could help with some kind of trauma type experience, but it's not going to solve issues that are results of something like a person's socioeconomical status, because that's not even a mental problem to begin with.
Jan 11, 2016 3:45 PM

Sep 2014
Having tried it multiple times, I believe it may help some people but it doesn't work for me.
Jan 11, 2016 3:48 PM

Aug 2013
Themisto said:
Some therapists would unfortunately plant ideas in my head that simply were not true, but made me feel they were a possibility. This didn't help, but only made me feel worse. As if I was suffering from even more than I thought.

That is an unfortunate truth with quite a few therapists. not to sound sexist but from my experience female therapists tend to do this more. Whilst my dealings with male therapists tended to be pleasant, uplifting even the two female therapists turned out disappointing. The first was uncaring, exuding an aura of boredom with her patient, the second tried to push a childhood abuse story line upon my own history that never happened. She tried for some time to get me to say I was abused at some point in one way or another by rewording and using subversive tactics to push the narrative. I told her in the end I know what she was trying to say and I told her a final time it was not the truth and I cut short our time it was not worth seeing her again.
Jan 11, 2016 3:50 PM

Dec 2015
I guess for some peeps. Probably not for me. I'm a lost cause.
Jan 11, 2016 3:54 PM

Jan 2015
I have a therapist, it's actually to help with physical problems involving sleep problems, appetite and stamina. Works as bit I would say. Better than nothing.
Jan 11, 2016 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
The person has to believe it works in order for it to work imo. I've been to a few sessions years ago, but I didn't like it at all. I'd rather have a good friend listen to me whine than have a total stranger who just sits there charging me an exorbitant amount of money while i whine lol

I would like to think group cognitive behavioral therapy works but i've never tried. I've only been to those "talk therapy" sessions, which i think is garbage and a waste of money.
zzzeallyJan 11, 2016 4:12 PM

Jan 11, 2016 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
Zeally said:
I'd rather have a good friend listen to me whine than have a total stranger

Funny Ive always been the opposite I'd take a stranger any day over someone who knows me in person. I couldn't imagine discussing real issues with friends or family they're too close to me personally. Professional disconnect is what allows me to open up in the first place.

I wonder what that says about the individuals seeking support on both sides.
Jan 11, 2016 4:14 PM

Nov 2013
Spooks said:
That is an unfortunate truth with quite a few therapists. not to sound sexist but from my experience female therapists tend to do this more. Whilst my dealings with male therapists tended to be pleasant, uplifting even the two female therapists turned out disappointing. The first was uncaring, exuding an aura of boredom with her patient, the second tried to push a childhood abuse story line upon my own history that never happened. She tried for some time to get me to say I was abused at some point in one way or another by rewording and using subversive tactics to push the narrative. I told her in the end I know what she was trying to say and I told her a final time it was not the truth and I cut short our time it was not worth seeing her again.

Yes, it's very unfortunate. I had a therapist I'm convinced drove me to the edge. Her advice was awful, she treated my problems like they were insignificant.

We butted heads, pushed each other and it damn near felt like an argument each session. I finally took her advice, forced myself to change which resulted in the only experience in my life I would consider a complete meltdown.
Tewi-samaJan 11, 2016 5:27 PM
Jan 11, 2016 4:40 PM

Jul 2013
Therapy can be successful, but I find it to rely on to many variables. You have to believe in it, the therapist you see has to be a legit good one. Personally I rather just talk to a good friend than pay to some guy but therapy can be good and I've seen it on some friends.
Jan 11, 2016 4:43 PM

Jul 2013
I've never had therapy so I wouldn't know however given the amount of people I know who have had therapy I'd assume it could work.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 11, 2016 6:02 PM

Jul 2014
Might as well see a fucking witch doctor. Go to your phrenologist to get your humors realigned if you want to go down that route you phlegmatic bastards.
Jan 11, 2016 6:09 PM

Nov 2015
yes! ! !!! double triple quadruple yes ! therapy is very nice and can help if you really try

goodnight

Jan 11, 2016 6:13 PM

Nov 2014
It depends on the person. You should do whatever works for you and if therapy helps than go ahead and use it, although if you do then you should find a good therapist who is actually able to help.
Jan 11, 2016 10:29 PM

May 2015
The purpose of therapy isn't to care. The purpose of it is to make you question yourself, your worldview and gain a better understanding of yourself. It's about bringing what's hidden inside you to the surface by asking the right questions.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 11, 2016 10:35 PM

May 2014
I've only ever had counselors and therapists that are unable to give diagnosis or prescriptions and they're shit imo i'd rather pay for real help thx. Just talking about my problems does nothing. I've only ever been on Prozac and it made want to kill myself so... Back to the drawing board
TharjaJan 11, 2016 10:39 PM
Jan 12, 2016 4:04 AM

Apr 2008
I'm with the guy who said everyone should see a therapist at least once in their life because we all gotta work through our shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Jan 12, 2016 4:07 AM

Jul 2015
Since humans are such social animals, talking to someone about your problems automatically makes you feel better
Jan 12, 2016 4:46 AM

Mar 2008
Most therapists do not do psychoanalysis like tv shows and films like to make it out as, They usually do cognitive behavioural therapy. I do not really like the concept of CBT because I feel as if it is basically devaluing a persons emotions by trying to make someone control it. I would not tell someone else not to do it though. I would like therapy more in the case of problem solving rather than putting a bandage on things by drugging people up or telling them to stop being sad by telling them to change how they think and feel. Might as well just go back to giving people lobotomies because the goal is the same. To change who the person is and make them less responsive. I won't deny it works for some people but I've seen people ruined by therapy. I've seen kind loving people come out of therapy as being more intolerant of other peoples problems and eve being huge jerks sometimes just because the allowed the therapist to crush subdue passions and lower their expectations.
Jan 12, 2016 4:47 AM

Sep 2009
It can't help everyone, but it should be at least somewhat effective.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 12, 2016 4:49 AM

Jul 2014
traed said:
Most therapists do not do psychoanalysis like tv shows and films like to make it out as, They usually do cognitive behavioural therapy. I do not really like the concept of CBT because I feel as if it is basically devaluing a persons emotions by trying to make someone control it. I would not tell someone else not to do it though. I would like therapy more in the case of problem solving rather than putting a bandage on things by drugging people up or telling them to stop being sad by telling them to change how they think and feel. Might as well just go back to giving people lobotomies because the goal is the same. To change who the person is and make them less responsive. I won't deny it works for some people but I've seen people ruined by therapy. I've seen kind loving people come out of therapy as being more intolerant of other peoples problems and eve being huge jerks sometimes just because the allowed the therapist to crush subdue passions and lower their expectations.

In their defense, I would argue that the majority of people who willingly seek CBT are the exact kind of people who need CBT. The others are going to put a shell into their brain stem regardless. Something is better than nothing.
Jan 12, 2016 4:51 AM

Mar 2008
Latent said:
In their defense, I would argue that the majority of people who willingly seek CBT are the exact kind of people who need CBT. The others are going to put a shell into their brain stem regardless. Something is better than nothing.

I do not think CBT is bad I just think how it is applied is bad.
Jan 12, 2016 4:57 AM

Jul 2014
traed said:
Latent said:

Which is fine, I just disagree with your assessment that CBT is designed to change "who people are." Behaviorists believe that disorders, such as depression, have to do with the relationship between a feared stimulus and an avoidance response, resulting in a conditioned fear. The addressing of a fear does not necessitate a change in "Who I am."
Merely in: "How will I respond?"
Jan 13, 2016 9:37 AM

Aug 2013
Whilst CBT is something that is recommended for a lot of people I do not believe it is as useful as some would suggest. Training yourself to think your way out of mental illness is in my personal opinions mind you mostly useless. I think as a science much to do with mental illness is still poking and prodding and guess work. They offer CBT not because its the best or most effective treatment but because its a base to work on while you can't reach any other conclusions. It's a distraction for the patient and making the analyst seem like they're actually working towards something when its just treading water.

Thinking your way out of deep set problems and illness doesn't work, it is at best a temporary fix now it may work for some people but thinking positively and changing how you react to situations is something most people have tried themselves or with help and generally at some point they always repress back or even slip further into their illness its as the Americans say a band aid.

They assume that these types of problems come from negative re-enforcement thoughts that over time you train your mind to only see the negative. As a patient at some point myself I can say with some clarity that was not the case and CBT is a waste of time which could be used actually addressing issues. CBT is their answer to just smile, see the bright side and eventually your problems will go away its made up because they can't find real answers. I believe most peoples issues come from early development during puberty generally when most childhood stresses are placed upon the types that go onto having depressive or mental issues. I believe their system floods with far too much of the chemical responsibility for negative thought and fight or flight response. A healthy child will have a heavily dose of all the normal chemicals and reactions that make up a healthy growing individual a future depressive/mentally ill will most likely have their systems constantly flooded with one type, as their brain develops the pathways responsible for the production of that chemical and the receptors for it grow far larger than they should as the body continues to produce more than normal. This naturally effects how a person thinks and feels and reacts throughout the rest of their lives. The chemical responsible for their anxiety, their depressive state and fear is in their system in far larger and continues amounts than others.

I believe a lot of cases of life long depression, anxiety and other mental illness are linked to the brains wiring and chemicals within our systems not just thinking yourself happy. I hope one day we will discover a way to help people suffering genuinely not just fix it purely with thought training but actually fix the problem find a way to reduce or shrink those parts over stimulated during development.
Jan 13, 2016 10:13 AM

Oct 2015
See, there are bad therapists who don't really focus enough on their patient's problems. Someone I know very well once went and was diagnosed with schizophrenia but that's so so very much wtf?? because their syptoms are much much different that, I know. They stick to 3 different mental illnes they know and just give you one like it's not a big deal. People here don't take mental illnes seriously. That sucks you know.

But I really believe there are good ones, whose words can truly do change your life in one way or another. I've always wanted to be a psychologist though, but that's a big task for me, for anyone..
Jan 13, 2016 10:25 AM

Sep 2015
Carl Jung was the dude, more shaman than therapist (by todays standards & methods) which of course has led the modern psychiatric community to all but totally ignore him (less so in mainland Europe.)

If he was alive today he would recognize many of his 'Archetypes' in what we refer to as tropes.

But reading the work of people like Carl Jung can only guide you so far, you are your own best therapist "To the question of your life, you are the only answer. To the problems of your life, you are the only solution" ~ Jo Coudert
Jan 13, 2016 10:29 AM

Jul 2014
I believe in the existence of therapy.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Jan 13, 2016 10:42 AM

Feb 2011
Meh. I tried therapy as a career path but quit when I realized I had no interest in taking the advice of any therapists I'd been to.

I also think today's popular practices are too normalizing. Hell, in the program I was at, mental illness was defined as simply "deviation from what your culture considers normal." That's not to say stuff like CBT can't handle most people's problems, but the methods just don't get deep enough to really see things from the patient's view. So in the long term, I'm not sure it can be used as much more than a band-aid.
IgnisArtificisJan 13, 2016 10:50 AM
Jan 13, 2016 10:55 AM

Jan 2008
Well I've talked to a lot of therapists but never really been in a "session", and it's certainly made me a better and happier person. Naturally it all depends on who you're talking to, but I think that people in general benefit from talking about their issues, makes us feel less alone.
It's all hypothetical anyway, but I've seen people scared of crowds who after CBT can handle it better than before. Then there's people who therapy wont work on, like actual psychopaths who when you ask why they hurt others they can't tell you or feel bad over it.
Jan 13, 2016 10:57 AM
Jul 2015
If by "Therapy" you mean "Monster Girls" then yes.

But Therapy (for realsies) is only for a select group of people. I doesn't wok for all.
Jan 13, 2016 1:44 PM

Mar 2008
Latent said:
traed said:

Which is fine, I just disagree with your assessment that CBT is designed to change "who people are." Behaviorists believe that disorders, such as depression, have to do with the relationship between a feared stimulus and an avoidance response, resulting in a conditioned fear. The addressing of a fear does not necessitate a change in "Who I am."
Merely in: "How will I respond?"

It's not necessarily part of the CBT but they seem to do it with it. What I am talking about i not emotional management but the whole concept of encouraging people to instead of change more difficult things they make them just accept it. They do not push their limits to become better, only tolerable.

Spooks said:

I believe a lot of cases of life long depression, anxiety and other mental illness are linked to the brains wiring and chemicals within our systems not just thinking yourself happy. I hope one day we will discover a way to help people suffering genuinely not just fix it purely with thought training but actually fix the problem find a way to reduce or shrink those parts over stimulated during development.

It's already been prove that meditation changes the brains structure depending on what form is used.
traedJan 13, 2016 1:53 PM
Jan 13, 2016 2:27 PM

Feb 2012
There is nothing wrong with having a mindset of not-insufferable-dicklord. That's a good thing, but depending on what kind of effects people look for, it just might not matter. Just because you are/became a good person doesn't mean the positive karma of cosmos is going to work the rest out. Meaning the problem was something else entirely, most likely not even a mental one in nature. Sometimes people just need real actual things, not advice, to fix their perceived problem.
Jan 13, 2016 2:35 PM
Sep 2014
Spooks said:
This is a point of contention for many both the general public and those who have actually engaged with or been in therapy.

Do you believe in therapy as a treatment for mental illness and suffering. There are those who believe it indeed helps to seek professional advice and talk through problems with someone trained to Analise and help you overcome issues you may encounter in life and there are those who believe therapy and therapists to be useless or perhaps against the whole point, a person who is paid to care does not really care. Perhaps therapy is viewed as ineffective. Lastly there are those who believe only in the power of self help, God helps those who help themselves after all.

So to debate, the topic do you believe in the power of therapy?

I dont think somebody who can't figure you out is able to help you, and there are too many shrinks out there who have no idea about anything at all. If you're not rich and can't pay some old wise dude to give you therapy then you should not try to seek help in the wrong places because all they tell you is that you have to make a psycho test and they give you meds which will burn your brain and turn you into a good citizen plant. And yea, after the hour is over, they tell you to leave. So it's just their job, they're just trying to get rid of you as soon as they can. There is nobody who can help you.
Jan 13, 2016 2:42 PM
Sep 2014
I don't have a valid opinion on it due to the fact that I've never gone to therapy.
Jan 13, 2016 5:15 PM

Aug 2007
I say yes, although I've only been to one (which I still go to) and he worked out for me. He's well experienced and knowledgeable and seems to actually care about thing to at least some degree and/or to get to a good place. That plus the drug that he had prescribed but only after careful consideration and not just prescribing something for the sake of prescribing something. For pretty much all of life there were some issues which basically had me imprisoned and I also wasn't sure how to go about it. After I finally went to somebody that all changed significantly; I still have some work to do on it but I've felt more free more recently for some of the first times ever. So basically it seems like a great thing but I guess that of course depends on the competency of the therapist or such in question and people might have to try a few different ones before they find the right fit for themselves.

As for only talking to friends, that didn't really seem to help. I still felt trapped in ways or nothing was really changed or helped and instead the friends just got stuck hearing about the same things over time, oops. "Self help" sounds to be the worst choice, of course, with the problems likely to just stay the same and possibly get even worse over time.

Unfortunately a lot - or all - of that has probably already been said, really.
Where0Meets15Jan 13, 2016 5:34 PM
Jan 13, 2016 8:07 PM

Oct 2011
Therapy is a method of healing, seeking it is voluntary.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Today

17 by Noboru »»
7 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

17 by Noboru »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

44 by Rhaelynne »»
20 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

681 by blankflag »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

68 by -Jahra »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.