Forum Settings
Forums

What is it like to go to Anime Expo? (or any other anime convention)

New
Jan 10, 2016 3:46 PM

Jan 2016
I've always wanted to go to a anime convention since I could remember, and now I have my license and I have a friend who's interested in coming with me.. But I have no idea what it's like or what's really there to do. Help?
xiinfinitiixJan 10, 2016 8:12 PM
Jan 10, 2016 3:52 PM

Aug 2012
I've only went to a few, but generally it's just hanging out with your friends, meeting people with the same interests, watching cosplayers / cosplaying yourself, buying a lot of goodies/anime related stuff.

Simply put: it's having a good time.
Jan 10, 2016 3:56 PM

Feb 2013
i'd say the first step should be to see the events and the schedule on their official site, if you want to know what to expect

what it's like.. this depends on the size of the con and the organizers

what's to do..
☑ browse/buy merchandise
☑ take pics with cosplayers
☑ eat and drink overpriced shit
☑ gaming zone, art zone, workshops, stuff like that
☑ meet old/new people (maybe)
☑ enjoy the atmosphere

Jan 10, 2016 3:57 PM

Jan 2016
GmT said:
I've only went to a few, but generally it's just hanging out with your friends, meeting people with the same interests, watching cosplayers / cosplaying yourself, buying a lot of goodies/anime related stuff.

Simply put: it's having a good time.

Yeah!! but I've seen like concerts and panels and cafes that you can go do/see and I have no clue what they mean or are or any information on it
Jan 10, 2016 3:57 PM
Feb 2014
Was at AX last year, was impressed. It truly is the convention of all conventions. I have been going to each Sakura-Con since 2014, and usually they are worth it despite being a leg down on AX.

The larger conventions such as the aforementioned won't be cheap to attend, but they are worth the cash spent. Avoid the smaller ones like the plague, more likely that they will resemble all that is wrong with the fandom along with poor panels/merchandise.
Jan 10, 2016 4:50 PM

Oct 2008
Conventions are a lot of fun! You'll want to either have a lot of money to spend or very good self-control, but you'll meet a lot of cool people and see a lot of awesome cosplayers! You could cosplay, too, if you wanted; no one's really gonna judge the quality of the cosplay unless you enter a contest. There's always lots of panels, and the schedules are usually posted on the con's website beforehand, so looking through the schedule and planning out before the con which panels you want to go to is a good idea. Cons usually have guests, too, like voice actors, authors, game developers, etc. and the guests almost always have panels and autograph sessions. Cons are exhausting, but a lot of fun and I'd recommend going if you have the chance! I work for a con, so I can answer any questions you have. :)
SnowwikaJan 10, 2016 4:56 PM
I have a life. It just so happens that it revolves around Fairy Tail.
Jan 10, 2016 4:54 PM

Jul 2013
I wanna go but don't own any cosplay. :-(
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 10, 2016 4:55 PM

Apr 2013
There's lots of fukin weebs everywhere.
Jan 10, 2016 5:04 PM

May 2015
Demi_V said:
I wanna go but don't own any cosplay. :-(

You don't have to, tons of people don't wear cosplay and still end up having a good time. It's just an extra thing you can do. If you really want to, you can buy some online or make it yourself. (there's tons of tutorials online)
Jan 10, 2016 5:39 PM

Mar 2012
I really want to go to Anime Expo at some point in my life. I live in Australia though so probably not happening any time soon.

As for my convention experiences, I always end up going to three conventions every year.

- Supanova is in June which is a general pop culture event but there's plenty of anime stuff. The only anime related guests that come are English voice actors, but honestly I prefer meeting English voice actors in person since I can actually have a conversation with them. I always end up having a good time there although my love of non anime related pop culture plays a part.

- SMASH is in August which is an anime and manga convention. Most of the guests they bring in are just washed up seiyuu who aren't currently relevant. But last year they did this I HEART Anisong concert which meant I got to meet actually currently relevant musical guests like GARNiDELiA and Nagi Yanagi. Last year was also super fun because they had this big Love Live event which meant it was pretty much impossible to escape it (Exactly how I like it).

- Oz Comic Con is another general pop culture event. Not much anime honestly. Judging by the guests I'm starting to think that the only anime the organisers have even seen are Soul Eater and Dragon Ball Z. Still, I got to meet Monica Rial in 2014 which neat.

Anime Expo is an anime convention though and probably the biggest of its kind in the west. It'll probably be fun so I highly recommend going. Just remember to save up a lot of money. Seriously, conventions burn a hole in your pocket like nothing else.
Jan 10, 2016 8:11 PM

Jan 2016
SeibaaHomu said:
I really want to go to Anime Expo at some point in my life. I live in Australia though so probably not happening any time soon.

As for my convention experiences, I always end up going to three conventions every year.

- Supanova is in June which is a general pop culture event but there's plenty of anime stuff. The only anime related guests that come are English voice actors, but honestly I prefer meeting English voice actors in person since I can actually have a conversation with them. I always end up having a good time there although my love of non anime related pop culture plays a part.

- SMASH is in August which is an anime and manga convention. Most of the guests they bring in are just washed up seiyuu who aren't currently relevant. But last year they did this I HEART Anisong concert which meant I got to meet actually currently relevant musical guests like GARNiDELiA and Nagi Yanagi. Last year was also super fun because they had this big Love Live event which meant it was pretty much impossible to escape it (Exactly how I like it).

- Oz Comic Con is another general pop culture event. Not much anime honestly. Judging by the guests I'm starting to think that the only anime the organisers have even seen are Soul Eater and Dragon Ball Z. Still, I got to meet Monica Rial in 2014 which neat.

Anime Expo is an anime convention though and probably the biggest of its kind in the west. It'll probably be fun so I highly recommend going. Just remember to save up a lot of money. Seriously, conventions burn a hole in your pocket like nothing else.

Yeah I'm planning on saving every penny I get from here till the convention lolll
Jan 10, 2016 8:20 PM

Feb 2010
It can be fun to be at a place full of people with the same interest as you. I usually meet friends at my local convention that I rarely see otherwise these days and just have random conversations with people since I work the bar.
There's also all kinds of stuff you can do though personally most of those things aren't for me. Like weeb concerts, workshops, presentations, AMV or cosplaing contests, gaming corners, shopping area for merch and weeb food etc...
I'm usually just there for the atmosphere and to see all the good cosplays and laugh at the bad ones. Sure, there are lots of potentially cringeworthy people you'll meet at such conventions, but that doesn't bother me. It can be kinda cute to see all those awkward people coming together to share a common interest.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 11, 2016 1:10 AM

Dec 2015
It's not bad, but it can be rather crowded at times, and I'm not used to the pushing and shoving.
Jan 11, 2016 1:23 AM

Apr 2013
Just go there and see for yourself, I love going to anime conventions. I mostly just walkt through the park/garden whatever there is and talk with people and take photos of cosplayers.
Jan 11, 2016 1:55 AM
Dec 2015
I went quite a few years ago with some friends back when I didn't watch much anime though it was a lot of fun. There were a lot of stalls with merchandise and just looking at them and the cosplayers was pretty cool. They also had these skits where cosplayers acted out scenes from animes. Even though I recognised only one anime character, it was still entertaining and made me want to watch more anime :)
Jan 11, 2016 12:46 PM

Jul 2010
I went to my first anime convention just a few weeks ago and it was so much fun that I would definitely go again.

There is TONS to do. Of course, I'm sure this depends on the size/location of the convention as others have said, but I'll share my experience to give you an idea.

First of all, the most exciting part was meeting the voice actors/actors. Voice actors from anime/video games/cartoons are present, each with their own table and a waiting line to get free autographs or a paid-for photograph taken with them.

Some of the more popular actors/voice actors, however, will charge you money to get an autograph. It's what helps fund these conventions.

There are all kinds of events and panels going on throughout the weekend of the convention, from mini-shows, to dances, to games. I went to an Attack on Titan panel where three of the voice actors introduced themselves and let the audience ask questions.

Then of course there are the cosplayers. I will say, there's nothing cooler than seeing one of your favorite characters walking right before your eyes. Whether its a good or bad costume, it's still awesome to see someone whom you know must love a character just as deeply as you do since they actually took the time to dress up as them. The cosplayers are all very friendly(in my experience,)and always willing to take a photo with you if you ask.

There's also the insane amount of booths and merchandise stands. It's basically a shopping paradise for nerds like us. Probably one of the coolest features of the merch area is the Artists Alley, where you can buy merch created by artists, from prints to keychains, and purses to hand-made weapons/items from popular franchises.

Best of all, you're bound to run into someone(multiple someones)and strike up conversations that you normally wouldn't have out in the normal world(work,school,etc.) Cuz lets face it, where else but a convention are you going to find so many people with interests such as yours?

So there you have it! Go to this convention with your friend and I hope you have lots of fun! :)
Jan 11, 2016 12:49 PM

Jun 2015
Meeting with people who have the same interests as you, fun activities with the stuff you like and similar stuff.

Good times.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 11, 2016 12:54 PM

Jul 2012
It depends on the price and if I have to pay for travel expenses.
Jan 12, 2016 3:00 AM
May 2009
xiinfinitiix said:
I've always wanted to go to a anime convention since I could remember, and now I have my license and I have a friend who's interested in coming with me.. But I have no idea what it's like or what's really there to do. Help?

Depends on who is running the con.
Small cons tend to be more mingle focused, with less stores, and more gaming and common areas for people to just mingle and chat with other fans, and local artists to display work and for cosplayers to cosplay. With Events that focus more on the people who come, Also depending on the venue alcohol is served, but in this case fans under drinking age are not let in and ID Checks are done at the door.

Larger Cons are more about Big Names, Voice actors, Big Brands, Lots of stores, new games, etc etc, more commercial, still fun for shopping and looking at stuff that you wanted to get but weren't sure about. Still have events and panels but usually more stiff. Expect to spend alot of money if you are an impulse buyer.
The Venue is also pretty large and usually crowded cause no crowd control depending on if the host has not limited the ticket sales.
May get freebie bag on way in if you are early. Lots of Cosplayers, and competitions.
Mar 10, 2016 10:38 AM
Dec 2013
I'm going to Anime Expo 2016 and I'm pretty excited. XD This will be my uhhh idk what year. lol but they've been getting bigger each year. lol I would recommend bunking up with a few people to make rooming cheap. And be prepared for long lines if you wanna go to any panel. Or get in line hours early and wait to be let in. lol and the vendors hall is massive. You can easily lose track on how much you spend inside. lol but even if you don't have much cash to spend it's still fun to go and take pictures of all the cosplayers. You can spend an entire day there and not spend a dime because you're taking so many pictures. lol
Mar 10, 2016 10:10 PM

Apr 2015
I've been to a bunch of cons, cosplayed a few times, and it was always a big blast! Its always fun to see so many enthusiastic people - fans and the staff alike. Just be sure to plan ahead if there's something (like a popular panel) that you'd like to see.

I'll be going to Anime Expo this year for a couple of days. Its usually really warm at that time, but I think I'll still cosplay.
Mar 10, 2016 10:22 PM
Feb 2016
I've been an Anime Expo goer since I can.

Some notable stuff:

Weirds. If you think you're already weird,wait till you seen an anime expo. The weirdness scale ranges from 1 to 10. There are... okay weird to creepy weird.

Foods. Taste level is average. Usually costly than buying it outside the event

If its you're first time, you'll droll to all those overwhelming cosplayers around you. I basically chant, OMG, this is life the first time I've been to a major event in my country.

My advice, never go to anime expo without at least one nerd friend with you. Its pretty lonely and you'll kinda feel isolated without anyone to immediately share your thoughts and HAPPINESS!

Overall: Enjoy the moment. Have fun! Take pictures. You can really unleashed your weeabiness within. No one cares!
Mar 11, 2016 12:45 AM

Apr 2010
It's pretty depends where. In my country there's only one at a time, but bigger countries surely have more. So you just need to see something close both in date and place. See their schedule.

As people said, a lot of cosplaywrs and matchndeis. Cafes and game zone depends what they write on schedulers. Here for example they have anime musicals from time to tine (has nothibg to do with Japanese musical) , cosplay competition, discussions and presentations, karaoke and movies.

Mar 11, 2016 10:22 AM

May 2015
In Israel, anime conventions are the motherfucking bomb. You better ask somebody.

No, really, there's this happy, everyone-in-it-together atmosphere. You can start talking to people randomly. It's very friendly and welcoming. Even if you don't go to any of the events, you should go for the people.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 11, 2016 10:26 AM

Apr 2014
the only big anime conventions here in Spain are usually at Madrid or Bcn. they're usually really expensive so i just stick to the ones that are close to my town.

and even tho those are small cons, they get really crowded if you don't get there early.
Mar 11, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
I went to my first anime convension last year (here in Portugal we have one called Iberanime), and boy it was great, when you see someone cosplaying a character that you like it feels good and you just want to talk to that person and i'm planning on going this year too. You should go you will not regret it.
Mar 11, 2016 12:21 PM

Dec 2009
I was at AX last year, for the first time, it was quite interesting and fun. I wish I could see the contest and the cafe but did chill a bit at the lounge. Also, I did take a lot of pictures of me with the cosplayers since I didn't want to spend so much money and was picky about how much I spent. Yes, most merchandise are expensive and some are cheap depending which panel is at. I wished I brought along a friend that is nerdy about anime; however, didn't and felt a bit weird with a friend that doesn't know too much about anime so I had to cut my time short at AX last year. Yet, I really want to go to AX 2016 but money issues this year with my school education and etc. I may go next year AX instead.
pokegirlMar 11, 2016 12:26 PM
May 10, 2016 11:16 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Hello! If you're planning on attending AX this year, please check out this thread :)
p r o f i l e 👀
May 11, 2016 12:34 AM

Oct 2013
I went only to one, this year. I had lots of fun
There were many stands selling anime stuff -figures, hats, keychains etc.
They also showed anime episodes of the season and a movie of the season (this time it was Harmony).
A musical theatre and more things i can't remember. Check the site of the specific anime convention, they write there
And also, most of the people cosplayed.
May 11, 2016 6:21 PM

Jan 2016
Cool thanks for the info, its also going to be my first time going to one this year. Im pretty stoke on going I hope I see/meet cool people at san japan this year.
May 11, 2016 6:23 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ive been to like 30 and i have one coming up at the end of this month

More topics from this board

» Who had beef or fought in anime like the current drake vs kendrick lamar?

FarWalker - Yesterday

14 by FarWalker »»
41 seconds ago

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - 10 hours ago

32 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Do we need a 30 year old Husbando?

RedTea33 - 11 hours ago

5 by Maou_heika »»
3 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ?

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

35 by Hiru_Napyeer »»
6 minutes ago

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 2 hours ago

4 by deg »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.