Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 26, 2008 5:39 PM

Nov 2007
Honour. Justice. Faith/Belief. Love.

Just some examples of words that people seem to use to get some sort of powerup or the strength to go on through hard times etc. Personally it tends to sicken me when words like these are tossed around all the time.

What are some similar words that you can think of, and do they tend to annoy you when you hear them in anime?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 26, 2008 6:08 PM

Oct 2007
"shinjiteiru" i believe in you
believe in me / believe in yourself. i hear that alll the time.
Feb 26, 2008 6:11 PM
Aug 2007
Love, especially in the mahou shoujo genre. 98% of them do it for love like R Kelly but properly aged LOLZ and the hell with, say, keeping order or just because.
Feb 26, 2008 6:12 PM

Apr 2007
"Believe in yourself" is overused. >_>

Feb 26, 2008 6:33 PM

Jul 2007
PandaPuff said:
"Believe in yourself" is overused. >_>

Which is why "believe in me who believes in you" sounds so awesome :3

But on topic... anything that has to do with dreams.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Feb 26, 2008 6:37 PM

Oct 2007
oh, and also "unmei" or fate... like "its your fate" "its our destiny to be together" etc etc. its usually translated slightly differently depending on what the context is.

edit: oh, and a commonly used phrase in shoujo "i'll protect you" . "mamorutte"?? cant remember the correct tense...oh, my favorite is how in sailormoon the main guy character's name is mamoru.
katsupFeb 26, 2008 6:48 PM
Feb 26, 2008 6:39 PM

Jan 2008
Hmmmm I think anything that has the word "friend" in it
Feb 26, 2008 6:42 PM

May 2007
"My friends/nakama believe in me! I won't let them down!"

Also...

Main hero: "I am going to rescue (insert girl name here) no matter what!" (although in Naruto's case it's a guy name x3)

Feb 26, 2008 6:44 PM

Nov 2007
I would say "unmei" too.

Other one would be "i don't mind if it is with you". *blushes*
But i like this one.
Feb 26, 2008 7:55 PM

Feb 2008
Yea, the nakama, the fate/destiny really piss me off. I hate when 3/4 of an anime is about some villain groveling about destiny and the main character screaming that he will change it. Think about the word fate, or more about the idea of it. There is only one past, therefore there is only one future. Of course you may have the power to control to a certain extent the outcome of your future, but indeed there is only one path that you wind up taking. This is destiny.
Feb 26, 2008 8:18 PM

Dec 2007
eternalmetal said:
Yea, the nakama, the fate/destiny really piss me off. I hate when 3/4 of an anime is about some villain groveling about destiny and the main character screaming that he will change it. Think about the word fate, or more about the idea of it. There is only one past, therefore there is only one future. Of course you may have the power to control to a certain extent the outcome of your future, but indeed there is only one path that you wind up taking. This is destiny.

No offense dude, but....that logic is SO shitty, it makes my head hurt. :P Its like a serious version of Stephen Colbert's "I am John McCain!" spiel.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Feb 26, 2008 8:20 PM

Jan 2008
This deffinately reminds me of Gurren lagann. Though it is cliched of like everthing is fighting for things such as 'love' and friendship. Lmao gurren Lagan is like 'EVOLUTION'
Feb 27, 2008 1:29 AM

Jul 2007
'Believe it', a certain anime said it enough to destroy the world >_>.
Feb 27, 2008 1:40 AM

Sep 2007
Zetsubou / Despair

Its like all over the place
Feb 27, 2008 1:47 AM

Oct 2007
what i find annoying, that they keep trying to make a good story out of :
"humans reach next step in evolution and they got super powers"
"they dont know anything about their super powers yet but soon they will awaken them"

well it was awsome first, but when you see it in like 10+ animes it gets boring T_T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2008 1:55 AM

Sep 2007
1. I believe in you
2. I can do this 'cause my friends/ love of my life are relying on me/belive in me.
3. Fate
Feb 27, 2008 2:30 AM

Mar 2007
"Believe It"/"Dattebayo"....don't say it....just don't....
Join the Kyonko Fanclub Today! | Join the MAL Tenjou Tenge Fanclub Today!
Feb 27, 2008 3:11 AM

Feb 2008
How about "KAWAIIIIIII"?
Feb 27, 2008 3:33 AM
Feb 2008
Is that suppose to be motivational?
Feb 27, 2008 3:52 AM

Feb 2008
Not really, but I've been watching alot of light-hearted stuff lately, and they don't have much in the way of inspirational words. I've been hearing "cute" in alot of anime, and depending on the way some characters say it, it can be funny and annoying at the same time.
Feb 27, 2008 4:53 AM

Feb 2008
"Dattebayo", hands down. Thank God Naruto says it rather quickly, or else I would have gone insane by now =/
Feb 27, 2008 5:35 AM
Dec 2007
"Believe It!" The pissbucket Naruto used that stupid cliche so many times I wanted to sock him in the face and make him bleed O.O
Feb 27, 2008 10:06 AM

Feb 2008
SageShinigami said:
eternalmetal said:

No offense dude, but....that logic is SO shitty, it makes my head hurt. :P Its like a serious version of Stephen Colbert's "I am John McCain!" spiel.

Heh, I figured someone like you wouldnt understand. If it is shitty logic, try proving to me (without, "it is possible's") that there is more than one past. Destiny/fate is just the flow of existence, it cannot be changed because it is just inevitable.
Feb 27, 2008 10:32 AM

Oct 2007
Kayro said:
"Dattebayo", hands down. Thank God Naruto says it rather quickly, or else I would have gone insane by now =/

ive never heard that.. actually o.o;;... it must be a naruto thing XD sort of like kenshins "gozaru yo"
Feb 27, 2008 10:45 AM

Jan 2008
eternalmetal said:
SageShinigami said:
eternalmetal said:

Heh, I figured someone like you wouldnt understand. If it is shitty logic, try proving to me (without, "it is possible's") that there is more than one past. Destiny/fate is just the flow of existence, it cannot be changed because it is just inevitable.

That's not the problem he sees with it. The problem with that logic that he is trying to point out is that you're just assuming that there is only one future because there is only one past. There is no reason to assume such a thing.

katsup said:
Kayro said:

ive never heard that.. actually o.o;;... it must be a naruto thing XD sort of like kenshins "gozaru yo"

Yea, I don't think it's a cliche if only one guy does it. And it's not a motivational thing, either. Sorry.
D&D Club

Because my sig making skills are non-existant.
Feb 27, 2008 11:07 AM

Feb 2008
ichikiba said:
eternalmetal said:
SageShinigami said:
eternalmetal said:

That's not the problem he sees with it. The problem with that logic that he is trying to point out is that you're just assuming that there is only one future because there is only one past. There is no reason to assume such a thing.

So where is the logic that since our past is set, the future is multifaceted? Im not saying there is only one choice for the future (unlimited choices actually), but in the end you only pick one. Think about it, you are given a choice to enter doors 1, 2, and 3. Once you enter one of the doors you cannot go back. If you enter door 1, there is no way that you could also enter door 2. I am not saying there is no such thing as multiple choices, but in the end 1 future is already picked. And in the end, the word destiny/fate implies that it knows which choices you will pick, because in fact you will only pick one. Its not bad logic if you really think about it.
Feb 27, 2008 11:24 AM

Jul 2007
Why is it that anime fans are full of 2nd rate philosophy students?

Sam is my sweet peach
Feb 27, 2008 11:26 AM

Nov 2007
Because anime is full of second rate philosophy.
Feb 27, 2008 12:09 PM

Feb 2008
TheWestExit said:

Better than 3rd rate I guess :)

And what would a 1st rate philosophy opinion be? Im sorry if you think my opinion is dumbed down, but it does aggravate me that so many anime are based on defying destiny and fate, when its simply a word that means to be inevitably predetermined. Its like trying to say that you will defy death.
Feb 27, 2008 12:56 PM
Nov 2007
ore.....ore......ore......ore wa........

freaking say it already.
Feb 27, 2008 1:00 PM
Oct 2007
How can the ever famous: "gambatte/ganbatte/do your best" line be over looked? Lol
Feb 27, 2008 3:38 PM

Dec 2007
"You are xxx years too early".

Not motivational but damn is it ever overused.
Feb 27, 2008 3:41 PM
Aug 2007
TheWestExit said:

Would you prefer we were all Plato and Descartes, hmm?
Feb 27, 2008 3:48 PM

Jul 2007
SeZMehK said:
How can the ever famous: "gambatte/ganbatte/do your best" line be over looked? Lol

stuff like that, that epitomizes motivational can't really be considered cliche; heck, its even built into etique - it would be like not saying "thankyou" after someone does something for you.

the_seventh_l said:
TheWestExit said:

Would you prefer we were all Plato and Descartes, hmm?

i would think that this is because of the massive amounts of philosophy built into anime. like, even methods of treating girls change from anime to anime. with such a wide variety, i would imagine it to be inevitable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2008 5:14 PM

Feb 2008
I think it is incredibly cliche when one character trys to convince another badass cold hearted character that he/she is really soft/gentle and pure of heart. Then eventually said badass cold hearted character lets down their guard and blahdie blah. I came to this conclusion today while watching Claymore. ^^
Feb 28, 2008 5:21 PM

Feb 2008
Kayro said:

I wouldnt call it overused when only Naruto uses it. I hate people who just bash Naruto because its the trend.
Feb 28, 2008 5:38 PM

Jan 2008
"I will not lose! I cannot lose!" Sagara Sanosuke was the first character I saw say something like this, and I've seen several other guys in other titles featured in Shounen Jump use it.

And I guess this doesn't fall under motivational words, but I think it's worth mentioning: "I'll be done with you in X minutes." They've been using this one since at least DBZ, so for about 17-20 years. Most recent titles I've seen use it are Bleach, Yu-Gi-Oh! (but replace "minutes" with "turns"), and One Piece, though One Piece has used it jokingly as well.
D&D Club

Feb 28, 2008 6:40 PM

Dec 2007
eternalmetal said:

So where is the logic that since our past is set, the future is multifaceted? Im not saying there is only one choice for the future (unlimited choices actually), but in the end you only pick one. Think about it, you are given a choice to enter doors 1, 2, and 3. Once you enter one of the doors you cannot go back. If you enter door 1, there is no way that you could also enter door 2. I am not saying there is no such thing as multiple choices, but in the end 1 future is already picked. And in the end, the word destiny/fate implies that it knows which choices you will pick, because in fact you will only pick one. Its not bad logic if you really think about it.

First off..."someone like me"? What does that even mean? :P

And, if I REALLY think about it, I start to see exactly how retarded it is to look at it that way. You're trying to approach it from this weird, omniscient bass-ackwards angle. If the future is "already picked", then it can't really BE the future; it must be the past. See how INCREDIBLY circular this is?
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Feb 28, 2008 7:24 PM

Feb 2008
SageShinigami said:

And, if I REALLY think about it, I start to see exactly how retarded it is to look at it that way. You're trying to approach it from this weird, omniscient bass-ackwards angle. If the future is "already picked", then it can't really BE the future; it must be the past. See how INCREDIBLY circular this is?

Cause your black :)

I think you fail to see my point. Im not saying that the future is already picked, I am just saying that the word fate/destiny has an implied meaning that it already knows the path(s) you will ultimately choose. This "ass-backwards" logic of mine is quite popular when trying to support the idea of an omnipotent being (God). Of course I shortened the whole explanation to make my post less wordy, but quite simply, you cant change destiny. I dont know how else to explain it, my logic does make sense. I dont claim to be a philosopher, but I have studied a little bit of philosophy and have seen these ideas thrown around.
Feb 28, 2008 7:52 PM

Jan 2008
eternalmetal said:
SageShinigami said:

O_O Whoa, whoa, whoa! What the f***!?
D&D Club

Feb 28, 2008 8:16 PM

Feb 2008
It was a heavy note of sarcasm. The typical stereotype of dark skinned individuals (politically correct enough?) is to take offense to any comment that could be taken racially. I looked at his profile, saw a black picture, and wrote that. Not cause im racist, but because I dont think it was offensive enough to be mean, but pertinent enough to be funny and sort of controversial. Note the smiley, its not a hate crime ;)
Feb 28, 2008 8:22 PM

Dec 2007

I think you fail to see my point. Im not saying that the future is already picked, I am just saying that the word fate/destiny has an implied meaning that it already knows the path(s) you will ultimately choose. This "ass-backwards" logic of mine is quite popular when trying to support the idea of an omnipotent being (God). Of course I shortened the whole explanation to make my post less wordy, but quite simply, you cant change destiny. I dont know how else to explain it, my logic does make sense. I dont claim to be a philosopher, but I have studied a little bit of philosophy and have seen these ideas thrown around.

Holy shit! I am? Well gee, I hadn't noticed. :P I thought it was a tan that wiped off. Still, that joke isn't as funny as you think it is.

Also, for future reference "You're doing it wrong!" is not a proper defense man. ^_^ For more future (or I guess in your case, past) reference...most of philosophy (and philsophers too, actually) is bullshit. But hey, I'm not in this to change your mind...you seem pretty dead set on this course of logic so I'll just enjoy the laughs provided.

Edit: And I'm not THAT dark-skinned. :P For what its worth, I actually believed you were going to say you saw a post of mine and just decided you and I would never agree on anything. Which, THAT I would've been genuinely amused by. (It wouldn't be the first time.)
SageShinigamiFeb 28, 2008 8:26 PM
Feb 28, 2008 8:26 PM

Oct 2007
this thread seems to be going off on a tangent D= i want to see more overused phrases.

Lelangir said:

freaking say it already.

I hate it when they stammer like that. it's so annoying. and much more common than it should be haha
Feb 28, 2008 8:30 PM

Jan 2008
uhh... i thought this post was about overused motivational words, not a discussion about racism and philosophy, kinda got off topic, i got confused reading the last few posts, i thought i clicked the wrong forum, anyways....

one of the most cliched words is "betsuni" or "nandemonai" (don't really know the difference, i assume almost the same) which means "nothing" or "nevermind"
Feb 28, 2008 8:36 PM

Dec 2007
Not that the tangent was all that interesting, but this thread sucks anyway. :D I always felt like if you kept breaking everything down into cliches it ALL got boring. And no anime is safe from that, really.
Feb 28, 2008 8:55 PM

Nov 2007
SageShinigami said:
I always felt like if you kept breaking everything down into cliches it ALL got boring.

I disagree. There are a number of cliches I enjoy a lot, and will probably never find boring, as long as they're delivered well.
Feb 28, 2008 9:22 PM

Feb 2008
SageShinigami said:

Also, for future reference "You're doing it wrong!" is not a proper defense man. ^_^ For more future (or I guess in your case, past) reference...most of philosophy (and philsophers too, actually) is bullshit.

Im glad that you KNOW that philosophy is for the most part bullshit. It actually has more of a basis than most people think, but w/e. You seem overall bored with the topic and keep bringing it up, but if your not interested then I dont care to debate with you.

Just enjoy the anime and dont analyze everything about it. The more you analyze the more you realize its just a cartoon.
Feb 28, 2008 9:27 PM

Nov 2007
katsup said:
this thread seems to be going off on a tangent D= i want to see more overused phrases.

Lelangir said:

freaking say it already.

I hate it when they stammer like that. it's so annoying. and much more common than it should be haha

lulz that just reminded me of Hana Kimi when Nakatsu was like "Ore wa...ore wa...ORE WA HOMO JANAI!!!"

Ok /going off on a tangent.

"Gombatte" is overused a lot in anime. Can't think of any others at the top of my mind at the moment. >_<
Feb 28, 2008 9:32 PM

Dec 2007
eternalmetal said:
SageShinigami said:

Also, for future reference "You're doing it wrong!" is not a proper defense man. ^_^ For more future (or I guess in your case, past) reference...most of philosophy (and philsophers too, actually) is bullshit.

Im glad that you KNOW that philosophy is for the most part bullshit. It actually has more of a basis than most people think, but w/e. You seem overall bored with the topic and keep bringing it up, but if your not interested then I dont care to debate with you.

Just enjoy the anime and dont analyze everything about it. The more you analyze the more you realize its just a cartoon.

Heh. Its like firing me from a job after I said I quit. :) I'm bored with the topic 'cause it'll never go further than this:

See how INCREDIBLY circular this is?

It'll be us stating the same thing worded slightly differently over and over with neither one of us convincing the other.

I disagree. There are a number of cliches I enjoy a lot, and will probably never find boring, as long as they're delivered well.

Fair enough. I respect that you're able to think that way. Mostly, I can't so I try not to think on it all too hard, y'know?
Feb 28, 2008 9:32 PM

Oct 2007
-AtaraxiA- said:

lulz that just reminded me of Hana Kimi when Nakatsu was like "Ore wa...ore wa...ORE WA HOMO JANAI!!!"

Ok /going off on a tangent.

"Gombatte" is overused a lot in anime. Can't think of any others at the top of my mind at the moment. >_<

hahahaaaa. i love nakatsu :P he's sooo funny!

gambatte isnt really a cliche ... but i think this was mentioned previously. it's more of a cultural/respectful thing to say. i mean, it just saying "goodluck".... i dunno.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does Manhwa Anime reflect the Plastic Surgery Culture of Korea?

Dragevard - 43 minutes ago

5 by Daviljoe193 »»
25 seconds ago

» 1 trick pony, but it's actually peak!

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 3 )

Cammell - May 8

101 by Lucifrost »»
8 minutes ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - 12 hours ago

19 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
10 minutes ago

» Best maid character?

Serafos - 3 hours ago

20 by Maou_heika »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.