Forum Settings
Forums

Can you speak another language besides your native one?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jul 19, 2017 4:45 AM

Aug 2012
English.... I beg you didn't see that coming.
Jul 19, 2017 4:45 AM

Jan 2017
I can speak Gibberish
Does that count?

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jul 19, 2017 6:51 AM

Apr 2016
I can speak English, Dutch and Arabic
Jul 19, 2017 7:48 AM

Jan 2009
Sophielight said:
I can speak Filipino, English, and a little bit of Bahasa. I would like to learn French, Spanish, Latin, Japanese, Russian, and German.
Which Bahasa?

I think it's interesting how most of us don't remember how to think without language, how to think without the narrating voice in our head. Surely, we were thinking before we learned language? Surely a person who never learns a language still thinks?
They may die in Language Deprivation Experiments, they may also "just" become mute.
We can still think in Pictures even without Language, but it has to be something that we've seen or is similar to it.

Does language put constraints on thoughts, or does it open up for more possibilities?
Nope, it gives us the Possibility to think in Abstracts. For Instance, it would be hard to think about a pink Elephant without Language.
Ludwig Wittgenstein used to have said that the Limits of his Language were the Limits of his World.
If you need more Food for Thought, you should definitively look him up and read his Philosophical Investigations

(Summary on sparknotes)

swirlydragon said:
I can speak Gibberish
Does that count?
Not if you can't also speak Kauderwelsch and Double Dutch.

Nodon said:
If I couldn't I wouldn't be able to post here. My native language is German which I'm thankful for as it allows me to read a lot of great literature in it's original language (Nietzsche, Goethe, that kind of literature).
Greetings, my Comrade from the Land of the Poets and Thinkers ^^
I feel privileged of being able to read those Works, too, but I haven't really been using that Potential so far.
Jul 19, 2017 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
Well English is my second language. I can speak a bit of Japanes as well. I'm currently learning Japanese & Italian by myself
Jul 24, 2017 6:53 AM
Mar 2016
I'm Indonesian native. I can speak Sunda - my tribe language, not very well, though.
Other languages I can speak:
- english, quite well, because I use english for work
- Arabic, a little bit, because I learned it at school, and I read Arabic everyday as prayer
- Japanese, a little bit, of course because anime influence. I'm currently learning Japanese more seriously.
- Javanese language (also Tribe language), because my grandfather is javanese.
Zazie122 said:
ashishkaull said:
Native Language = Koshur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmiri_language

Other languages I can speak

01 Hindi
02 English

This is probably a very stupid question, but is it similar to Hindi in any way? I have no knowledge of Indian languages, and some of the scripts look somewhat similar, but that could just be me being ignorant about it all. I understand they're all separate languages, but I'm interested to know if there's any overlap.

Meira_Eve said:
My native language are indonesian, but my local language is sundanese.. so i often mixed them up when speaking XD (almost everyone here do that imo).. it's not that perfect but i can speak english and also understand it and most of it i learned it myself.. i also can speak japanese, understand it and read it but only for beginner one and i can only read japanese if it is written in hiragana because i learn it in my school

Is the Sundanese script still used, or do people just write in Latin now, like Indonesian?

Languages are really interesting and I have a lot of questions because I am a huge nerd, sorry for sounding ignorant RIP.

Sundanese has its own alphabet but it's not used anymore in most area... (there are some exception). It's even not learned anymore in most school.
We learn Sundanese language at school in Latin alphabet.

I'm not a language geek, but I like learning unique alphabet / letters. Because latin is very common, I don't really like it. But I LOVE writing in Arabic and Japanese because thye're unique.... and I like kanji so much.
Jul 24, 2017 7:04 AM

Jan 2016
My native language is dutch but I don't always know certain English words in dutch.
I'm also learning French in school even tho I'm really bad in it, I also want to learn german, Italian, japanese and korean.

Jul 24, 2017 7:15 AM

May 2017
I'm better in Dutch(my second language) than I am in my native tongue, which I can read/speak/understand but have trouble writing in.

I'm also fluent in English, and decent in French. I understand German and Spanish to a degree, but I'm nowhere near fluent.
Jul 24, 2017 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah, two other besides my mother language.
Jul 24, 2017 7:21 AM

Aug 2011
rina-rina said:
I'm Indonesian native. I can speak Sunda - my tribe language, not very well, though.
Other languages I can speak:
- english, quite well, because I use english for work
- Arabic, a little bit, because I learned it at school, and I read Arabic everyday as prayer
- Japanese, a little bit, of course because anime influence. I'm currently learning Japanese more seriously.

^This is pretty much like me, only that I speak another tribe language. I also learn Japanese since highschool (besides English). I don't have Javanese blood in me, tho I hear the language in everyday basis

**☾**
Jul 24, 2017 7:22 AM

Mar 2017
I can speak a little Swedish and some Spanish.
Jul 24, 2017 10:30 AM

Mar 2013
"speak" is a huge word but english I guess
Jul 24, 2017 11:42 AM

Nov 2011
frozenthrone said:
rina-rina said:

I don't have Javanese blood in me, tho I hear the language in everyday basis

public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("i also speak a little Javanese");
}
the language is too verbose though. takes too long just to say "hello world".
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 24, 2017 11:45 AM

Jun 2016
English is my 2nd language, I speak fluently but I'm not good with those big words/vocab also grammar.

so if you are reading this i hope you understand.

and yea my 1st language is Indonesian language where I was born.
Jul 24, 2017 2:01 PM
Jun 2017
Spanish & English, I learned Spanish first, but learned English at a very young age & is the language I use the most. I'm fluent in both ^_^
Jul 24, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Except Polish (my native language) I can speak/write English and also basic Chinese and Japanese (still learning).
Jul 24, 2017 2:14 PM

Jul 2017
I can fluently speak English, Japanese and Russian. However, I cannot read anything except English and Romanji. I have tried and failed miserably at attempting to learn Kanji. Speaking Japanese is so easy even my ex wife could probably do it. However, reading kanji is a whole other world altogether.

My next language, which I plan to start on next year, is one of the hardest in the world to learn ... Dutch.
Jul 25, 2017 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
English and Spanish, my native language is Portuguese.
Jul 25, 2017 8:43 AM

May 2017
My native language is English, but I'm pretty fluent in both Tagalog, and Cebuano.
Jul 25, 2017 9:06 AM
Jul 2017
I speak English better than my own native tongue. I should be ashamed of my lack of love for my own country!

I also studied French and Arabic when I lived in Lebanon but found no use for them when I went back to my home country other than just to show off to my classmates.

I am trying to learn Japanese not because of anime, I am going there for family reasons and also relearn my French.

Jul 25, 2017 9:22 AM

Oct 2015
- Indonesian is my native Language
- English, pretty well and I'm currently still learning it in college now
- German (a little bit)
- Makassar language, It's my tribe language

and I used to learn Arabic too when I was in middle school, but didn't really pay much attention to that lesson.

Click the spinning
ghost for delivery (~‾▽‾)~
Jul 25, 2017 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah I can speak ENGLISH + another secret language.
Jul 25, 2017 11:38 AM

May 2013
I only know English because I'm a British citizen and language isn't emphasised very highly in our educational system.

However my University degree mandates I take two of Latin, Greek, Arabic, Spanish, German or Egyptian Hieroglyphs (which is read-only).

Currently puzzling over it.
Jul 25, 2017 11:52 AM

May 2013
Spanish is my native language and I can understand a fairly amount of english.
Aug 13, 2017 1:41 PM

May 2010
Sadly I'm not fluent in anything other than English. I'm at an intermediate level in Japanese (really trying to fix that) and a beginner level in Chinese (standard Mandarin), German and Biblical Hebrew.

In the future I'd like to become fluent in Japanese, get back to Hebrew, and learn ancient Greek at the very least. Not sure if I'll ever do more with German or Chinese; I know and like Chinese better so that's more likely. I also have some interest in Latin and Arabic but who has the time...
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 3, 2021 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
Yup my other languages include English and Japanese and some Spanish
May 3, 2021 5:36 PM
Dec 2010
While Mandarin is my native language, I'm not particular strong in it like those who live and speak by it daily in their nations. English is mostly used here and my pronunciation can go off with certain words. Though, at home, I tend to speak Mandarin.

Other than that, I took some basic Japanese classes before, and managed to learn more beyond on my own. While I don't exactly dare to speak it yet, but I can handle casual stuff somewhat.

Although not exactly a language freak, I might want to learn some Korean, German or French.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
May 3, 2021 5:46 PM

Nov 2018
Thai would technically my first language, but I now struggle with reading and writing it because of lack of use... I'd still say that I'm fluent enough with speaking it so technically 2 languages.

Though I would love to learn another, Japanese would be nice, it would be nice to be able to read manga RAWs ;_;
May 3, 2021 6:45 PM

Jan 2019
I can speak formal English, but I lack commonplace knowledge involved in colloquial conversations and I don't know most words for everyday objects and things, because I usually don't have to. My native language is Brazilian Portuguese (which means by default I understand and can speak some spanish) and I've learned just a bit of the basics of German, French and Japanese, but I haven't gone very far with either yet.

I also know how to say "I don't speak this language" in all of those languages.
SheklonMay 3, 2021 6:50 PM
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

22 by UncreatedSong »»
48 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

27 by Astachanna »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 9 hours ago

15 by RyuRabbit »»
2 hours ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

73 by 707supremacist »»
2 hours ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.