Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 28, 2015 8:55 AM

Aug 2014
FunkyNano said:
robiu013 said:
Well take Shigatsu for example... the characters burst into "poetic" inner monologues when someone plays the piano and they're 13 years old or something. It's like: "Hey! Look at these deep feelings these kids are feeling! They make them talk all Shakespeare-an!" It also totally ruins the "slice of life" aspect of the show, because it doesn't feel natural.

I do piano performances and I can tell you that is a 100% realistic portrayal of what audiences can be like.
Is it? I get the concept of a transcendental experience through art. But having to listen to the cheezy poetry those kids are spouting out, is really ruining my experience of an otherwise interesting story with good music.
Nov 28, 2015 9:10 AM

Sep 2014
masterofgo said:
madclaw said:
Nah. Even though your definition works, criticism often means the reproval of a literary work. At least that's how most people use it. What you're talking about here is generally referred to as 'critique'.
First, this is wrong. Criticism can be synonymous with critique, and literary criticism has a longstanding history of being analytical and interpretive in its evaluations as opposed to taking needless binary positions. Secondly, the way that most mainstream reviewers do criticism irks me because it violates the inherent relationship between work and audience and turns it into an adversarial showmatch for supremacy, which I find misguided and too egotistical to foster anything worthwhile.

Again, I 100% agree with you. I simply meant that the context in which people use the word generally implies condemnation. I don't even bother reading reviews on MAL anymore, the criticisms are always superficial completely disregarding the actual point of the show.
Nov 28, 2015 10:25 AM
Nov 2015
Chiibi said:
[snip]

Did I mention that all the male characters are assholes who treat girls like crap? Except for little Miki who has a hard-on for YOU GUESSED IT. HIS SISTER.
All of the characters' relationships were deliberately unhealthy so the series could build up to making a point at the very end. Especially where it concerns Utena and Anthy's relationship. It's not the sort of story where the protagonists are unquestionably good.
Nov 28, 2015 12:20 PM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
When an anime mistakes a technique for meaning.

I heard Texhnolyze's first episode is slow to keep away some viewers. That's pretentious because it doesn't make the series any more intelligent. It just makes it less fun.
That is certainly not the point. The first episode certainly turns away viewers, but so does the second, third, fourth, fifth, and so on.

In addition, being purposefully offsetting is not even remotely close to being pretentious. There are plenty of authors who snobbishly select out who they want to read their work, but that does not make their works any more pretentious.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking about what I heard of Texhnolyze - I'm going to watch it soon. Just so we'll be clear I'm not writing off the anime.

I don't see how scaring viewers on purpose, making your anime difficult on purpose benefits the story. A story shouldn't be difficult to experience for the sake of difficulty. It should be difficult if the content demands it.

Whether I jump through one hoop or 20 hoop isn't going to affect the value of the reward, if in both cases I only win 20 dollars.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 29, 2015 6:35 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
I don't see how scaring viewers on purpose, making your anime difficult on purpose benefits the story. A story shouldn't be difficult to experience for the sake of difficulty. It should be difficult if the content demands it.

Whether I jump through one hoop or 20 hoop isn't going to affect the value of the reward, if in both cases I only win 20 dollars.
There is a misconception, it is true, that difficulty is seen as good, when in reality it is not necessarily the case. However, I think there is still merit in saying that there is nothing wrong with trying to make things difficult, because the experience of unlocking something that is more complex and sophisticated can be extremely rewarding. If the end result is something very simple and not particularly engaging, then your analogy of jumping through loops and hurdles would be true.

In addition, bear in mind that the story of an anime is not the end all be all goal of all authors and directors.
Nov 29, 2015 10:36 AM

Oct 2013
UBW fandom. Nothing smart about two people just standing around and talking about different opinions. Any moron can write that shit.
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Nov 29, 2015 3:44 PM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

There is a misconception, it is true, that difficulty is seen as good, when in reality it is not necessarily the case. However, I think there is still merit in saying that there is nothing wrong with trying to make things difficult, because the experience of unlocking something that is more complex and sophisticated can be extremely rewarding. If the end result is something very simple and not particularly engaging, then your analogy of jumping through loops and hurdles would be true.

In addition, bear in mind that the story of an anime is not the end all be all goal of all authors and directors.

It's not just story but themes, ideas, characters, atmosphere - all things that make an anime good.

What good can making things difficult achieve? How is making an anime more difficult to understand for reasons that are unrelated to story makes it better?

If you have to use slow pace and weird directing to get your point across do it. If not, why do it? How is difficulty in and of itself a virtue?

That's what my analogy means. Difficulty doesn't make the end itself more worthwhile. Yes, I'd jump through more hoops if it means more money. Why should I jump through 20 hoops for 20 dollars when I can jump through only 10?
Nov 29, 2015 3:50 PM
Feb 2014
Its fanbase 95% of the time.

Otherwise anime never rubs me off unless I say so.
Nov 29, 2015 5:07 PM

Sep 2012
emobuttercup said:
UBW fandom. Nothing smart about two people just standing around and talking about different opinions. Any moron can write that shit.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Nov 29, 2015 5:20 PM

Mar 2013
Pretentious is believing you're saying more than you really are.

"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed"

So I guess it would be like Akame ga Kill saying the rich are evil when all they really show are clearly sociopathic people torturing all the poor people and the prime minister is possessed by a demon while the real emperor is a child. It's trying to say the upper/ruling class are evil people but in real life they're not, they just have a lot of money and don't like losing it.

Macross 7 has a main character who wants to stop violence with music instead of weapons, too bad he's unlikable and most any other conflict he would be useless. Also the series is pretty slow as people say he's not that good but when they hear his song (the same song everytime about dancing on planet dance) they think he's an okay guy. If the enemies were just planning to kill all humans they'd have just shot him down like anyone else.

Maybe that scene from Elfen Lied where the kids kill a dog for no reason other than it belongs to the girl who has horns on her head. That's not really an action kids would do in most cases. It's trying to make her backstory look sad but you can't ignore she just met some terrible kids when she was young.
Nov 29, 2015 5:52 PM

Mar 2013
if somebody dislikes the show

they just say it's pretentious

simple
Nov 29, 2015 5:54 PM

Jul 2012
robiu013 said:
FunkyNano said:

I do piano performances and I can tell you that is a 100% realistic portrayal of what audiences can be like.
Is it? I get the concept of a transcendental experience through art. But having to listen to the cheezy poetry those kids are spouting out, is really ruining my experience of an otherwise interesting story with good music.
They were trying to be accurate to the source, aka the Manga. I read the Manga and the overuse of monologues felt very natural and fitting. I liked it with the Anime as well.

And also I agree with FunkyNano.
Nov 29, 2015 7:19 PM

Apr 2014
Trying too hard and not acknowledging the show is bad.
Nov 29, 2015 7:26 PM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
How is difficulty in and of itself a virtue?
Because being difficult is incredibly hard to pull off. It is not like people who create anime automatically know how to make an experience a difficult one. If people are being purposefully difficult, rather than criticize them for it, why not ask why do people make things inherently difficult to understand? Why do people like Mamoru Oshii make films that seem purposefully obtuse, or why does the author of Blame provide us a manga that is almost completely silent and devoid of dialogue as to provide little to no context? I certainly believe explaining things would have been far easier for both of these people, but in certain circumstances, creating a work that is difficult to unravel can be both enjoyable for the viewer and a demonstration of technical skill by the creator who packages it well.

But this question in turn begs a number of questions that are silly slippery slope arguments. How is any of the things that we usually judge in storytelling a virtue? Why are stories important? Why are characters important? For every reason you list for these elements, I can probably list a direct counterargument as to why stories and characters can be practically irrelevant in making great art.
Nov 29, 2015 7:38 PM

May 2014
It being your favorite
Nov 30, 2015 1:02 AM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
How is difficulty in and of itself a virtue?
Because being difficult is incredibly hard to pull off. It is not like people who create anime automatically know how to make an experience a difficult one. If people are being purposefully difficult, rather than criticize them for it, why not ask why do people make things inherently difficult to understand? Why do people like Mamoru Oshii make films that seem purposefully obtuse, or why does the author of Blame provide us a manga that is almost completely silent and devoid of dialogue as to provide little to no context? I certainly believe explaining things would have been far easier for both of these people, but in certain circumstances, creating a work that is difficult to unravel can be both enjoyable for the viewer and a demonstration of technical skill by the creator who packages it well.

But this question in turn begs a number of questions that are silly slippery slope arguments. How is any of the things that we usually judge in storytelling a virtue? Why are stories important? Why are characters important? For every reason you list for these elements, I can probably list a direct counterargument as to why stories and characters can be practically irrelevant in making great art.

You're giving me specific examples that don't necessarily fit. There are plenty of difficult works with plenty of content.

I'm asking what's the point of making a story difficult when it's not needed. What if I took your ordinary slice-of-life and just made it have very little dialogue, or fucked up the chronology. Now, assuming these techniques don't contribute anything beyond making the story harder to understand, would you say it's a good thing?
Nov 30, 2015 5:49 AM

Oct 2014
Your hypothetical answers itself. If something is not needed, then it is unneeded. You have not really demonstrated under what specific context this applies and your example is too vague to be of any help in the matter.
Nov 30, 2015 7:32 AM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
Your hypothetical answers itself. If something is not needed, then it is unneeded. You have not really demonstrated under what specific context this applies and your example is too vague to be of any help in the matter.

Let me borrow an example from cinema: Inception.

The story is complicated because of the dream layers, but that's it. These layers don't add anything beyond complexity. Dreams aren't explored - they're all generic action pieces, people in suits shooting other people in suits. Characters don't have a deep psychology (besides the MC, typical women-in-refrigerator which Nolan already did in the fantastic Memento). There are no clever symbols.

These dreams aren't used to explore who these people are and they don't even have cool atmospheric ideas. It has zero atmosphere compared to other 'weird' films, like Jacob's Ladder or Dark City or Lost Highway. There is the question of 'what is real?' but the film never addresses why the question matters (something the Matrix did in contrasting two worlds and asking us which is better. The Machinist also does something similar, the 'fake world' is an extension of the MC's guilt).
Nov 30, 2015 7:38 AM

Oct 2014
Inception is not "complicated." It is also not difficult to follow. In fact, I would say one of the faults of the movie is precisely because Nolan provided a very structured composition to the dreams rather than the ambiguous nature of dreams. I do not think you have provided a good example of a "difficult" work.
Nov 30, 2015 8:03 AM

Aug 2015
I am guilty of being inclined to label something pretentious when a league of people rush to philosophize an anime that contains no substance.

Still, I would hardly levy the label on many anime I hate. It seems like such a worthless identifier. At least with other negative words, you get a semblance of what might be expected. If I hear that an anime is pretentious I just chuckle and move on.
Nov 30, 2015 8:09 AM

Dec 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
masterofgo said:

The story is complicated because of the dream layers, but that's it. These layers don't add anything beyond complexity. Dreams aren't explored - they're all generic action pieces, people in suits shooting other people in suits. Characters don't have a deep psychology (besides the MC, typical women-in-refrigerator which Nolan already did in the fantastic Memento). There are no clever symbols.

These dreams aren't used to explore who these people are and they don't even have cool atmospheric ideas. It has zero atmosphere compared to other 'weird' films, like Jacob's Ladder or Dark City or Lost Highway. There is the question of 'what is real?' but the film never addresses why the question matters (something the Matrix did in contrasting two worlds and asking us which is better. The Machinist also does something similar, the 'fake world' is an extension of the MC's guilt).

Wait what? they do add more than complexity, they are not just there to look complicated and exciting. It has a big relevance to the plot, with each layer they go, time flows differently, the defense mind of the target become more defensive, in order to reach his deepest memories of his father to implant the idea and make him trust them, they need to go further and further.

A lot of people complain that inception dreams aren't real dreams because they are not weird, bizarre or over the top while completely ignoring how if that happened it would contradict the whole plot of inception. It needs to be just mundane buildings and normal backgrounds because the whole idea is to plan an idea in the target's subconscious without him realizing that he is in a dream. So they need to be as realistic as possible, hence the need of the girl architect.

They don't explore who these people are because it's beside the point..It's like people think inception is about dream exploration while it's not. It did address why it matters. Cobb and his wife stayed for so long there, that she started to not understand what's real and what isn't, in the dream world it matters if it's real because they can't age, at first that seemed like a good thing but it started to become suffering and confusion. They don't get to experience the perks of living in a real world, they only know that they have each other but nothing else.

The Machinist didn't do something like that. The fake world as you put it, was just suffering for Bale's character, he only wanted to escape from it and find the truth in all his concpiracies which is why
tsudecimoNov 30, 2015 8:14 AM
Nov 30, 2015 8:15 AM

May 2015
Moneta said:
I am guilty of being inclined to label something pretentious when a league of people rush to philosophize an anime that contains no substance.

Still, I would hardly levy the label on many anime I hate. It seems like such a worthless identifier. At least with other negative words, you get a semblance of what might be expected. If I hear that an anime is pretentious I just chuckle and move on.

So the word pretentious is, in fact, pretentious?
Nov 30, 2015 8:20 AM

Aug 2015
mrcmc888 said:
So the word pretentious is, in fact, pretentious?
Perhaps. To be perfectly honest, with the current crowd I associate myself with, only the most insufferable use that word. Perhaps it is mere coincidence.
Nov 30, 2015 8:23 AM
Nov 2015
Jureonable said:
Pseudo intellectual language and long monologues using it and forcing down ideals and killing off characters just because of the shock value.
E.g Akame Ga Kill
Nov 30, 2015 8:34 AM

May 2015
Matthew_Summons said:
Jureonable said:
Pseudo intellectual language and long monologues using it and forcing down ideals and killing off characters just because of the shock value.
E.g Akame Ga Kill

No, that's the example of an OW THE EDGE show.

If you want something that really fits, try watching this season's Subete ga F ni Naru. It's the closest thing to your definition I've seen in a while, apart from the "shock value" part.
Nov 30, 2015 12:38 PM

Jul 2013
Matthew_Summons said:
Jureonable said:
E.g Akame Ga Kill

Akame ga Kill never try to be intellectual or have large monologues. Is just an action series with drama. The shock value part is true, but I don't see Akame ga Kill pretentious.
Nov 30, 2015 12:43 PM

Mar 2015
pretentius should be:

> cant understand what it try to tell, but look like it have big messege behind it
> find a way to understand it
> understand it
> realize it not as big as what it try to look like
> pretentious

pretentious that happened:

> can't understand what it try to tell
> dislike it
> pretentious
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 30, 2015 12:48 PM

May 2015
tsudecimo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Wait what? they do add more than complexity, they are not just there to look complicated and exciting. It has a big relevance to the plot, with each layer they go, time flows differently, the defense mind of the target become more defensive, in order to reach his deepest memories of his father to implant the idea and make him trust them, they need to go further and further.

A lot of people complain that inception dreams aren't real dreams because they are not weird, bizarre or over the top while completely ignoring how if that happened it would contradict the whole plot of inception. It needs to be just mundane buildings and normal backgrounds because the whole idea is to plan an idea in the target's subconscious without him realizing that he is in a dream. So they need to be as realistic as possible, hence the need of the girl architect.

They don't explore who these people are because it's beside the point..It's like people think inception is about dream exploration while it's not. It did address why it matters. Cobb and his wife stayed for so long there, that she started to not understand what's real and what isn't, in the dream world it matters if it's real because they can't age, at first that seemed like a good thing but it started to become suffering and confusion. They don't get to experience the perks of living in a real world, they only know that they have each other but nothing else.

The Machinist didn't do something like that. The fake world as you put it, was just suffering for Bale's character, he only wanted to escape from it and find the truth in all his concpiracies which is why

Why make such a complicated systems where 'time flows differently'? How does it add?

Why give the characters the ability to construct perfect dreams?

Why have a lot of characters if they have no personality? All this 'it exists so an action set piece will happen' sounds like Transformers plotting for me.

If it's not about exploring the concept of dreams, why is it even a part of the plot?

masterofgo said:
Inception is not "complicated." It is also not difficult to follow. In fact, I would say one of the faults of the movie is precisely because Nolan provided a very structured composition to the dreams rather than the ambiguous nature of dreams. I do not think you have provided a good example of a "difficult" work.

The difficulty is in deciding what exactly is real and what is not, the whole 'time flows differently' thing and so on.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which real life underdog story would you like to see getting an anime adaptation the most?

Lincompoop - 41 minutes ago

2 by Morningstar991 »»
11 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Yesterday

38 by ryzxgum »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you think secondary rival is more interesting than main rival?

m_alhafidz - 10 hours ago

8 by Fringilla_Vigo »»
12 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1135 by Mr_Duke_ »»
12 minutes ago

» Is anime too mainstream? ( 1 2 )

SimplyBrazen - Sep 18

75 by TheeAnimeGod »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.