Forum Settings
Forums
New
should i go
Nov 26, 2015 4:32 PM

Apr 2009
this is gonna be a stupid thread but what's another wave in the sea of really stupid advice threads on cd

basically guy on okcupid messaged me a long thing and asked me on a date at the end of it
pros of going:
- that message took guts and i appreciate that
- seemed nice
cons of going:
- i have a gf and while we're not strictly monogamous i don't really feel like dating other people
- this is gonna sound mean but i'm way out of his league/don't find him attractive at all
- my idea of this date would be chilling and talking, but i'm afraid he's gonna want sex or some long term relationship thing and that's a no

so basically there are more cons but i just feel bad telling him to gtfo since he typed all that up and i think it's cool when people are straight up about things like that. should i agree to the date but tell him that nothing's gonna happen (except like maaaaaybe making out if he's a really fascinating person) or should i just fade back into inactivity like i usually do?
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 26, 2015 4:35 PM

Apr 2009
shotz_ said:
just do what ur heart tells u. thats what i do.
my heart's telling me yes, my gut's telling me no tho
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 26, 2015 4:36 PM

May 2009
I can't word this nicely so I won't. Tell him that you're an idiot who doesn't feel like dating right now but forgot to either close your account for the time being or didn't put in your bio or info section that you are not looking for someone right now. It is your own fault you know so if he curses you out, you deserve it.
Nov 26, 2015 4:37 PM

Apr 2013
kawaiiyuris said:
this is gonna be a stupid thread but what's another wave in the sea of really stupid advice threads on cd

basically guy on okcupid messaged me a long thing and asked me on a date at the end of it
pros of going:
- seemed nice
cons of going:
- i have a gf and while we're not strictly monogamous i don't really feel like dating other people
- this is gonna sound mean but i'm way out of his league/don't find him attractive at all
- my idea of this date would be chilling and talking, but i'm afraid he's gonna want sex or some long term relationship thing and that's a no

so basically there are more cons but i just feel bad telling him to gtfo since he typed all that up and i think it's cool when people are straight up about things like that. should i agree to the date but tell him that nothing's gonna happen (except like maaaaaybe making out if he's a really fascinating person) or should i just fade back into inactivity like i usually do?

you never have any obligation to date anyone, but yeah i feel you.
maybe agree to it but make it a casual place so he won't try and treat you to anything too expensive?

(also you're way out of his league = there's better boys out there who're just as willing to make an effort)
Nov 26, 2015 4:40 PM
Oct 2014
Whatever you do, be sincere. Even if he may get hurt, you will help him move on. Nobody wants a petty date (if they got serious intentions that is). And from your perspective, it seems like you won't get much out of it.

Nov 26, 2015 4:41 PM

Apr 2009
Hachiko75 said:
I can't word this nicely so I won't. Tell him that you're an idiot who doesn't feel like dating right now but forgot to either close your account for the time being or didn't put in your bio or info section that you are not looking for someone right now. It is your own fault you know so if he curses you out, you deserve it.
nah that's fair enough. as i said, i like when people are straight with me.
the thing is, i am constantly looking for someone for new friends or something casual, i just wouldn't ever consider him normally
sutori said:
(also you're way out of his league = there's better boys out there who're just as willing to make an effort)
also true. i guess i'll just tell him it can only be a friendly date kinda thing, but i'll sleep on this first i'm tired af r/n
deadoptimist said:
Nov 26, 2015 4:50 PM

Jan 2015
So you're only looking for a platonic relationship? I also can't tell what gender you are. Maybe you're bisexual IDK. Just let him known before hand so you don't lead him on. If he agrees to go out with you anyways than great, you have nothing to worry about. If not than you're better off not meeting.
Nov 26, 2015 5:00 PM

Dec 2013
If he sounds like he's seriously interested I'd say don't go as you're getting his hopes up for naught. You could compliment him on being so straight forward if you deny him however and also repay him for being straight with you by being straight with him.
Nov 26, 2015 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
I'd say you should lay down the line from the get go. "We can go somewhere but just as friends/for fun."
Nov 26, 2015 5:07 PM

Sep 2014
RedTie said:
I'd say you should lay down the line from the get go. "We can go somewhere but just as friends/for fun."

yup, I agree. be direct and honest.
Nov 26, 2015 5:09 PM
Jul 2018
Props to the guy. But I say don't go.

You're already claiming that you're "out of his league" so you probably don't even deserve his company. Can you introduce me, though? No homo.
Nov 26, 2015 5:10 PM

Nov 2015
The fact that you're considering dating someone on the internet is bad enough already.
Nov 26, 2015 5:11 PM

May 2013
shotz_ said:
just do what ur heart tells u. thats what i do.

shotz is a well-known serial rapist
Nov 26, 2015 5:12 PM

May 2013
BigBlueBirdy said:
The fact that you're considering dating someone on the internet is bad enough already.

+1

I would not do that at all for above reason, among many others, and then your cons listed.
Nov 26, 2015 5:12 PM

Sep 2009
I think you should go and if you're not impressed, friendzone him. Or get rid of him~
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 26, 2015 5:19 PM

Jun 2015
suicide is always an option.
Nov 26, 2015 5:25 PM

Dec 2013
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
suicide is always an option.
A lot of people tend to forget that.
Nov 26, 2015 5:42 PM

Apr 2015
galimx said:
A date can be just friendly. You go out. Eat someething together. Maybe a nice dinner. And hang out, talk about anime. It doesnt need to be romantical.
Basically
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Nov 26, 2015 5:44 PM

Apr 2014
kawaiiyuris said:

pros of going:
- seemed nice
cons of going:

Tell him like it is and be honest about it. If your not interested in guys then speak up don't make him think theres a chance just because you "feel sorry" for him. Pretty sure if I was the guy i'd rather be told that your out of my league then be given a charity date. Cause I personally would wanna know whether the girls shallow cause I would most likely not even considering talking to her at that point but that's just how I am. I don't like people feeling they have to pity me. Besides if your lesbian then you should stick to what you like. I have a lot of really good lesbian friends who have had the same question I always tell them its better to go with how they feel and not put them into a situation that they feel nervous or worried over something.
Nov 26, 2015 5:44 PM

Sep 2014
tbh that is news to me. a friendly but not romantic date. this is why I think relationships and love are so complicated and foreign to me.
Nov 26, 2015 5:45 PM

May 2013
Daconator said:
I'm curious. I understand you're bisexual, but are you a guy or a girl?

girl
Nov 26, 2015 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
Tell him you like anime and show off your power level even claim you are into shotas go all out homie
Nov 26, 2015 9:34 PM

Dec 2010
I was an avid user of okcupid and I'd get long messages like that all the time, it's no big deal quite frankly and you don't owe anyone anything just because they did a (kind of) nice thing for you, especially on a dating website

also, unless you listed that you're interested in casual sex or mention sex at all on your profile no one's gonna expect sex on the first date haha. first dates from dating websites are usually just to break the ice and to make sure you're not a serial killer

from my experience on okcupid (I even made a thread about it on mal), DON'T go on the date. I, too, went on a date with a man from okc that I felt sorry for, and felt that his whole-heartedness would be able to make up in everything else he was lacking. however I was proven terribly and utterly wrong and he still continues to text me after I've been ignoring him for a week

good luck

Nov 26, 2015 10:02 PM

Apr 2013
Well you just expressed your lack of interest so don't go.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Nov 26, 2015 10:14 PM

Aug 2012
Yes, go on a date and fuck him in the ass.
Nov 26, 2015 10:57 PM

Aug 2009
>Asking for dating advice on MAL

For real tho, if you don't like him no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to date him.
LoneWolfNov 26, 2015 11:02 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Nov 26, 2015 11:00 PM

Oct 2015
First of all, be straight up with him. Tell him exactly what you do and do not want your "friendship" ( that's what I will call it ) to turn into. If he's okay with everything and you'd still like to go then go. Oh well. No point in doing something that you have no interest in out of pity or empathy. You have absolutely no obligation to go on a "date"

Also, an off the topic question... why are you using Okcupid? lol
Brandon0493Nov 26, 2015 11:05 PM
Nov 26, 2015 11:03 PM

May 2015
Don't go if you're not interested.
Nov 27, 2015 1:26 AM

Dec 2014
It seems to me that the only reason you're thinking of going is because you feel like you have to, and you feel guilty if you don't. But really, if you're not interested, you shouldn't go at all.
You already seem pretty reluctant.
Also, like you said, you have no idea what he wants in a relationship so you wouldn't want to lead him on

More topics from this board

» Do you record your thoughts down in a journal?

DesuMaiden - May 13

28 by Vampire_Lord »»
2 minutes ago

» what makes you send someone a friend request?

707supremacist - Apr 29

40 by Vampire_Lord »»
13 minutes ago

» people of mal, do you judge people by their looks, height, and other physical traits? ( 1 2 )

real-truck-Kun - Nov 4, 2023

54 by k4rlo »»
16 minutes ago

» What do you think about education in your country?

Sad - May 10

21 by k4rlo »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you celebrate your Birthday ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 7

54 by k4rlo »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.