Forum Settings
Forums

The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful.

New
Nov 20, 2015 9:48 PM

Jan 2013
Do you agree?

Do you think that power comes from the lack of ambition?
Nov 20, 2015 9:50 PM

May 2012
If we look at the most powerful people in the world, I would have to disagree.
Nov 20, 2015 9:51 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Can we truly say those people were powerful though?

Mar 2008
I dont really agree or disagree. The absence of failure is not necessarily succeeding because with he lack of ambition there is nothing one is succeeding at.
May 2015
no. it's like if a kid asks for coal for christmas. you're still getting coal. sure, you didn't get your hopes up and have them let down when santa didn't get you that new video game, but you got coal. what the fuck can an eight year old do with coal.
it's very late at night and I'm just rambling.
Nov 20, 2015 9:53 PM

Jan 2013
Anna_Cats said:
no. it's like if a kid asks for coal for christmas. you're still getting coal. sure, you didn't get your hopes up and have them let down when santa didn't get you that new video game, but you got coal. what the fuck can an eight year old do with coal.
it's very late at night and I'm just rambling.
Wanting coal is partly an ambition.
traed said:
I dont really agree or disagree. The absence of failure is not necessarily succeeding because with he lack of ambition there is nothing one is succeeding at.
If you have no ambition, you're succeeding at not having an ambition.
PeenusWeenusCaimNov 20, 2015 9:56 PM
Nov 20, 2015 9:56 PM

Mar 2014
I was wondering yesterday what could be called 'defeat' or 'victory' and I came to the conclusion that it all has to do with our mental, emotional state after achieving either of the outcomes. You're happy after winning, therefore we call it winning. You're sad after losing, therefore we call it losing. But what if you're happy after losing? would it be called a loss?

Going by my definitions, not losing will definitely not mean 'winning' and vice-versa.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 20, 2015 9:58 PM

May 2012
CaimTheJoyful said:
PoeticJustice said:

They have more control over the populous than the average person, so I guess. There will always be someone higher up pulling the strings.
Nov 20, 2015 10:02 PM

Mar 2008
CaimTheJoyful said:
traed said:
But that is only so if your ambition is to have no ambition. ... which cant be done.
traedNov 20, 2015 10:07 PM
Nov 20, 2015 10:06 PM

Jun 2015
That's an interesting way to view life. If you have no ambitions, I don't suppose losing or winning matters.
Nov 20, 2015 10:20 PM

Oct 2011
He who never fails don't always succeed. He can do nothing.
Nov 20, 2015 10:25 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
CaimTheJoyful said:

They have more control over the populous than the average person, so I guess. There will always be someone higher up pulling the strings.
While the dictionary definition of power is to have great influence, does it fit with my saying's meaning of "powerful"? Where success is power? Is an ambitious man in a state of success, or a man always seeking success? And if he's always in a state of seeking success, does that mean he's in a state of failure because he has not reached his idea of success yet?
geniobastardo said:
I was wondering yesterday what could be called 'defeat' or 'victory' and I came to the conclusion that it all has to do with our mental, emotional state after achieving either of the outcomes. You're happy after winning, therefore we call it winning. You're sad after losing, therefore we call it losing. But what if you're happy after losing? would it be called a loss?

Going by my definitions, not losing will definitely not mean 'winning' and vice-versa.
Ah, there's a man who gets it.
traed said:
CaimTheJoyful said:
But that is only so if your ambition is to have no ambition. ... which cant be done.
Are you aware of the Mahayana idea of nonduality?

Nonduality is the opposite of duality. Non-duality is the idea that there is no difference between relative ideas and expression. Everything leads to one absolute reality. For destruction to exist, there must be production because what is not produced and does not occur cannot be destroyed. For evil to exist, there must be a concept of good, because without knowing what is good, we cannot tell what is evil.

But that doesn't make sense, because the very concept of nonduality is dualistic in nature. We need to know about dualism to know what nondualism is. In essence, the only way to understand nonduality is to speak nothing, think nothing, and designate nothing.

When you have no ambition, that does not mean you have an ambition in having no ambition, you simply just do not have an ambition, and therefore, are succeeding because you are not failing.

How does my discussion of nonduality relate to this? You tell me that fam.
PeenusWeenusCaimNov 20, 2015 10:29 PM
Nov 20, 2015 10:29 PM

Mar 2008
Taoism is dualistic though.

You're not succeeding or failing.
Nov 20, 2015 10:33 PM

Jan 2013
traed said:
And nonduality is dualistic as well.

traed said:
But to not fail is to succeed when you're in a state of nothing, designating nothing.
Nov 20, 2015 10:35 PM

Jul 2015
false dichotomy
just because you didn't fail doesn't mean you succeeded
it just means you are a worthless piece of shit who did literally nothing
Nov 20, 2015 10:36 PM

Jan 2013
Astros said:
Can you fail without ambition? To fail is to desire something in the first place and not receive it.
To fail is to not succeed. To succeed is to not fail. To have no ambition, is succeeding because you do not have an ambition. When you have no ambition, you are not failing, so therefore, you are succeeding.
Nov 20, 2015 10:38 PM

Mar 2008
CaimTheJoyful said:
traed said:
And nonduality is dualistic as well.

traed said:
But to not fail is to succeed when you're in a state of nothing, designating nothing.
But fail or succeed is a very black and white way of looking at things. Which is more on the side of dualistic not nondualism.

To say if you do not fail that you have succeeded, when all you have done is nothing, is to say that the inherent state of everything is success. That means all actions leaves you to have that success to lose.
Nov 20, 2015 10:44 PM

Dec 2013
CaimTheJoyful said:
To fail is to not succeed. To succeed is to not fail.
Unless you succeed in failing.
Nov 20, 2015 10:48 PM

Mar 2008
Astros said:
CaimTheJoyful said:
To fail is to not succeed. To succeed is to not fail.
Unless you succeed in failing.
And succeed in acting on an ambition.
Nov 20, 2015 10:49 PM

Nov 2015
"So The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful."

So basically; So don't try, if you don't try you can't fail, and by doing nothing you become all powerful.
I Disagree
SolidShadowNov 20, 2015 11:52 PM
Nov 20, 2015 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
If my ambition is to eat an apple pie, I'm in a state of failure until I eat an apple pie since I am not eating an apple pie. Though once I do succeed at eating an apple pie, my ambition is no more since I have eaten an apple pie. To succeed is to not have an ambition and to fail is to have an ambition. An ambitious man is always in a state of failure while a non-ambitious man is always in a state of success.
Nov 20, 2015 11:06 PM

Mar 2008
A state of failure or a better way to see it is a process of success.
Nov 20, 2015 11:11 PM

Mar 2008
I disagree. To lack ambition is to excise ambition, which ultimately creates ambition. Instead, the sage has no ambitions because his ambitions are not ambitions. He is filled with disinterest.

The sage is all-powerful because he is disinterested. Because he is disinterested, he never takes action. To take no action is to never fail. To never fail is to always succeed. To always succeed is to be all powerful. To be all-powerful is to be disinterested.
Nov 20, 2015 11:12 PM

May 2015
What's the point of being all powerful if you have no ambitions?
Nov 20, 2015 11:40 PM

Apr 2014
I think by definition you have to make an attempt to either succeed or fail, and living in itself inherently involves attempting one thing or another. If you do nothing but meditate, you're attempting to reach a certain state of mind. Certainly, failing to meditate properly is of lesser gravity than failing to take over the world and being killed in the process.
Nov 21, 2015 12:08 AM

Jan 2015
Success is a subjective concept in the first place. So those with a mindset that already has it that they have suceeded are technically the most successful. Since in their eyes, they are the most successful.

However they are not the most powerful, since power is a measurable reality. Money is power. Connections are power. Authority is power.
Nov 21, 2015 12:09 AM

Jul 2014
It all depends on what you view as power
Nov 21, 2015 12:24 AM
Nov 2015
But he who has no ambition, will forever be merely another drop of water in the ocean.
Nov 21, 2015 12:27 AM

May 2013
listbot said:
don't wanna make shitty anime
so i don't make a single anime
thanks tao god, now I'm the best animator of the world

I imagine it more like if you drew lots of anime but cared not for success or recognition. You just do it naturally like breathing :)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 21, 2015 12:56 AM

Mar 2008
I think a more practical concept that is similar along these lines is Seneca's stoic philosophy. Basically if you lower your expectations you will not be as bothered by the results if you fail or something goes wrong. Do not expect to succeed because you be let down if you do not. However you also should not expect to fail because if you expect to fail you more likely will not try. Yet you should be prepared for failure or obstacles before they come in order to get past them. Although there is a problem with his suggestion of imagining everything that could go wrong as most people can not handle that in a calm manner that it really benefits the average person. This should not prevent someone from having ambitions nor would it prevent someone from seeking out their desires. This stoic way can also go with Wu Wei (which has now been mentioned in here already) in a sense because you can maximize your happiness if you dont try to fight what can not be changed but just go with it. There is a problem with that though in that many people misjudge what they can and can not change thus cutting themselves off short. I do not necessarily believe in following all this myself but I understand how some would.
Nov 21, 2015 12:56 AM

May 2015
No. In order to succeed you have to try. Not trying means you never fail, but you never succeed too.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 21, 2015 5:07 PM

Mar 2008
Something is not really failure if you do not see it as failure.
Nov 21, 2015 7:19 PM
Jan 2014
CaimTheJoyful said:
PoeticJustice said:

Old saying; "He who dies with the most toys wins"

Adults get toys that kill people.
We're havin' fun now!
Nov 21, 2015 8:11 PM

Aug 2013
Isn't that basically like a loser in a boxing match declaring that to loose is to win therefor he won the match.

Seems like cheating to me.
Nov 21, 2015 8:24 PM

Jul 2015
Having no ambition doesn't mean you can't fail; you fail in the eyes of the rest of the world, but perhaps not your own.
I feel like there is a huge grey area between a failure and success which most people fall in. It's not black or white.
I can agree with the last sentence.
Nov 21, 2015 9:03 PM

Oct 2012
CaimTheJoyful said:
Do you agree?

Do you think that power comes from the lack of ambition?
The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail.
Failure is a prescribed attitude, and we mustn't lose track of the frame of reference. A person can experience failure from his own goals, and failure from society, for example. In context of "success" (i.e. as a state in itself without any possession), a person's own goals is trivial. A person can succeed at taking a shit, but that doesn't mean he has found success. The Taoist sage can never fails at his own goals since he has none, but becomes a failure by default.

He who never fails always succeeds.
This is a false bifurcation.

And he who always succeeds is all- powerful.
Here, again we note that "succeed" is in the frame of the sage's own goals, which are nonexistence, and that he hasn't found any success by any other standard. We shift our focus to the word "always", which might imply that he always succeeds at anything he does, or that he has merely succeeded in things he has done. Clearly, in this case the latter is true, and the latter says nothing about allpowerfulness.

These three phrases are merely a trick of the mind to someone who doesn't understanding the meaning behind their own utterance.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 22, 2015 12:15 AM

Mar 2008
Dimethylanime said:
Having no ambition doesn't mean you can't fail; you fail in the eyes of the rest of the world, but perhaps not your own.
I feel like there is a huge grey area between a failure and success which most people fall in. It's not black or white.
I can agree with the last sentence.
Not really the whole rest of the world. Some people just wont really care if someone else has an ambition or not, or at least not if they arent close to the person.
Nov 22, 2015 2:39 AM

May 2015
Pacifica_Ocean said:
Isn't that basically like a loser in a boxing match declaring that to loose is to win therefor he won the match.

Seems like cheating to me.

A huge emotional appeal for losers.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

» What is the point of forums?

cosmosreceiver - 5 hours ago

19 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

» Why do I have 500 profile views?

Shimiiii - Jun 20, 2019

42 by Serafos »»
20 minutes ago

» Have you pushed yourself beyond your comfort zone

ST63LTH - 7 hours ago

8 by deg »»
28 minutes ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends? ( 1 2 )

pludel2 - Apr 10

59 by Kazeninjaryu1 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.