Forum Settings
Forums

Which country besides Japan is anime most popular in?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 6, 2016 4:55 PM

Jul 2015
France is the second country after Japan which buy the most of manga.
May 6, 2016 5:27 PM

May 2016
Manga sales in France are probably the way they are because France (and Belgium as well) have a long and great history of making amazing comics so it's kinda understandable why they would buy so many mangas as well. Really, France is damn huge on comics.

And yeah, unlike USA comics, French comics tend to be very story driven so they might find manga appealing because of that as well. (of course many comics from USA have really good stories but episodic super hero comics are what sells there)

While we are at it, I can make a few recommendations when it comes to French comics:

*De cape et de crocs - really great comic with an amazing story and very likable anthropomorphic characters.
*Le Scorpio - a really badass comic set in medieval times. It's about "cursed" guy and his journeys all around the Europe and middle east. Tons of tough fights in this one.
*The Adventures of Tintin - don't let the art or the lighthearted tone fool you. It's an amazing read (I think author might be from Belgium actually, but yeah, close enough)
*Jeremiah - Great Belgian comic about post-apocalyptic USA

And of course, who hasn't heard about Asterix and Obelix, Iznougood, The Smurfs, Lucky Luke? :D
May 6, 2016 5:41 PM
Mar 2012
Overseas license count suggests:
China & US most
then Australia, Canada, Thailand, Italy

(source: http://imgur.com/a/PmUFR)
May 6, 2016 5:59 PM

May 2015
I would say France. Manga and anime are pretty huge over there.
May 6, 2016 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
other asian countries

china & korea being the main ones

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 6, 2016 6:04 PM

Feb 2016
I think it is quite popular in the Philippines.
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
May 6, 2016 10:07 PM

Sep 2015
gophercg said:
Overseas license count suggests:
China & US most
then Australia, Canada, Thailand, Italy

(source: http://imgur.com/a/PmUFR)

The license numbers in China would be a lot bigger if not for the government ban on more than 30 licensed series in China, including:

Shingeki no Kyogin
Tokyo Ghoul
Elfen Lied
Highschool of the Dead
Death Note
Psycho-pass
Kuroshitsuji
Date A Live
Death Note
Swords Art Online
School Days
Another
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (just banned about 2 weeks ago)

These are just a part of the already licensed worked in China banned by the government. There are tens of more.
I hate nice girls.
If they so much as say hello, it stays on my mind.
If they return texts, my heart races.
The day one calls me, I know I'll look at my call history and grin.
But that's just them being nice.
People who are nice to me are also nice to everyone else.
I almost end up forgetting that.
If the truth is cruel , then lies must be kind.
That's why kindness is a lie.
I gave up on always expecting it,
always mistaking it,
and even hoping for it.
Someone who's' worked so hard at being alone doesn't fall for the
same trick twice.
I'm a veteran at this.
I’m the best when it comes to losing.
That's why I'll always hate nice girls.
May 7, 2016 5:10 PM

May 2015
Melt_Banana said:
Manga sales in France are probably the way they are because France (and Belgium as well) have a long and great history of making amazing comics so it's kinda understandable why they would buy so many mangas as well. Really, France is damn huge on comics.

And yeah, unlike USA comics, French comics tend to be very story driven so they might find manga appealing because of that as well. (of course many comics from USA have really good stories but episodic super hero comics are what sells there)

While we are at it, I can make a few recommendations when it comes to French comics:

*De cape et de crocs - really great comic with an amazing story and very likable anthropomorphic characters.
*Le Scorpio - a really badass comic set in medieval times. It's about "cursed" guy and his journeys all around the Europe and middle east. Tons of tough fights in this one.
*The Adventures of Tintin - don't let the art or the lighthearted tone fool you. It's an amazing read (I think author might be from Belgium actually, but yeah, close enough)
*Jeremiah - Great Belgian comic about post-apocalyptic USA

And of course, who hasn't heard about Asterix and Obelix, Iznougood, The Smurfs, Lucky Luke? :D

Tintin and Asterix and Obelix are fantastic. Better than a lot of Japanese manga imo.
May 7, 2016 5:14 PM

May 2014
From being around on the internet I've seen that there is a very large anime following in Sweden, Germany, Mexico, and Brazil. It's pretty intriguing.
May 7, 2016 9:51 PM

Jul 2014
Though anime is more popular in other Asian countries, I think it's still plenty popular in the US. Definitely wouldn't mind going there just for the huge-ass conventions. (My first one was in Atlanta when I was in the US last year. It was huge and unlike anything I've seen in my country before.)
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 8, 2016 12:28 AM
Feb 2015
Besides Asian Countries I would definitely say all Latin America. I know a lot of popular anime that are very well known over there.
May 8, 2016 12:31 AM

Jan 2016
Ummm... asian countries i hope?! (Anime= asian animation) :P
May 8, 2016 12:35 AM
Jul 2018
Canada has a lot of passionate fans, but its anime distributing industries are sorely lacking. US has everything when it comes to anime, so I'd say the US. The UK is also quite popular when it comes to anime.
Nov 25, 2016 4:53 AM
Jun 2016
After Japan its China, Korea, USA ,Canada ,UK ,India, Philippines

these are the countries that downloaded most of the anime from pirated sites i don't know about legal buyers.. statistic of legal sites are very low
Beat
Nov 25, 2016 5:00 AM
Jan 2015
Toswhar said:

Wow even If I find manga expensive (between 8€-15€)
I wonder how people do If they want to buy the 80 volumes of One piece xD
Nov 25, 2016 6:00 AM

Jan 2011
I live in Hong Kong and it is definitely more pro-anime here than the west. Anime in general is significantly well-known by Chinese and Korean millenials. I presume it is the same for SE Asia as well
Nov 25, 2016 6:09 AM

Feb 2015
I'd say, "what anime influences other countries", is common nowadays, I mean mindlessly thinking of a country, without proof is just bullshit.
Nov 25, 2016 6:36 AM
Aug 2016
I think its China. If you count chinese manga and chinese anime then China for sure, but even if you don't I still think that China is one of the most popular ones.
Nov 25, 2016 2:59 PM

Jun 2016
I'm gonna say the US considering how many anime conventions we have.
Nov 25, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2016
According to this, it's:

2. Philippines

3. Saudi Arabia

4. El Salvador

5. Peru

6. Indonesia

7. Chile

8. Malaysia

9. Mexico

10. Bolivia

Of course, Japan holds the #1 spot.

(I'm quite surprised my country is next to Japan though...haha!)
Jan 14, 2017 10:00 AM

Oct 2015
By number: China by a landslide. Likely comparable to Japan. Probably a significantly bigger community than all Europe/Au/NA combined.

On the internet, One Piece's page alone currently has over 6.42 million followers/270 million posts on China's Tieba Baidu.

By percentage: Hard to tell. East Asia, France, Germany, Brasil, and some parts in the Middle East like Iraq and Saudi Arabia to name a few.

In Iraq, some anime characters and figures are associated with the culture itself and are frequently used and referenced in jokes by adults and kids alike. Examples are Nils Helgersson, Sasuke Sarutobi, Sinbad and Grendizer. The great majorities of Iraqis recognize those names.
TogameCheerioJan 14, 2017 10:09 AM
Jan 14, 2017 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
Most certainly Italy.

Anime has been popular in Italy for a long time, and pretty much every worthwhile Anime from the 70s, 80s, and 90s has been dubbed in Italian.

Totally agree. I'm italian and I can say that we're really fond of anime!
Jan 14, 2017 7:05 PM

Jul 2015
Idk but I'm guessing it's any country that screens many anime movies in theaters. And not just miyazaki films or select theatres.
Jan 14, 2017 10:39 PM
Dec 2016
I think its Philippines.
Anime is very popular in Philippines that almost everyone know who Luffy is, and every basketball fan/player have a "Shohoku" jersey.
And no one will call you a "weeaboo" if you wear Sakuragi's jersey or Luffy's strawhat or even shouting "Kame Kame Wave" in public.
Jan 14, 2017 10:57 PM

Jul 2015
Arrieta said:
The license numbers in China would be a lot bigger if not for the government ban on more than 30 licensed series in China, including:

Shingeki no Kyogin
Tokyo Ghoul
Elfen Lied
Highschool of the Dead
Death Note
Psycho-pass
Kuroshitsuji
Date A Live
Death Note
Swords Art Online
School Days
Another
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (just banned about 2 weeks ago)

Looooool Xi Jinping, confirmed good taster and elitist. He's on a crusade against edgy anime, I love that guy!

Turtles_Leader said:
As you can see when you watch the numbers, French market is still a lot bigger than US market. Especially when you think french market (so including french talking parts of Belgium and Switzerland) has about 4 times less potential readers (I mean in term of global population).

It's often easier for me to find stuff translated or subbed in french than English, and when it comes to manga, you can find a lot of 70's books that will never be translated in english. Any library has Akira in A4 format, a shitload of taniguchi, tons of gekiga, ongoing series, etc...

BTW, dunno if it's translated in english yet, but read Kasane. I'm talking to you all.
DeathkoJan 14, 2017 11:05 PM
Jan 14, 2017 11:10 PM
Nov 2015
Praland said:
America of course, America it's number one on everything.

Bless America, bless Freedom.

When you see the manga sales, I doubt it's USA
Jan 15, 2017 12:47 AM
Apr 2013
Korea of course, followed by China, followed by SEA, followed by Brazil, followed by non-Western countries in general, followed by non-English speaking Western countries, and by far the place where it's least popular is English-speaking western countries, where liking anime makes you a weirdo.
Feb 3, 2017 5:19 AM

Mar 2016
Here in my country... (Philippines)

Well, we have A LOT of Anime fanatics.

Most well known Anime here and flocked by fans are One Piece, Attack On Titan, Naruto, Slam Dunk, Doraemon, Bleach...

Also, wherever I go outside, I can see some people wearing some Anime clothes or Anime bags with Anime key chains. (ex. Trafalgar Coat from One Piece, AoT bags)
LegendBonjetFeb 3, 2017 5:23 AM
Feb 3, 2017 9:33 AM

Jan 2012
Here in Brazil, anime and manga are really popular. It's easy to find manga in stores and Netflix has many anime (some even have dubs).
Feb 4, 2017 12:52 PM

Jan 2017
ItS also popular in israel...
A lot watching anime...
🙄
Feb 4, 2017 1:04 PM

Apr 2012
AP_974 said:
Toswhar said:
Wow even If I find manga expensive (between 8€-15€)
I wonder how people do If they want to buy the 80 volumes of One piece xD
Most manga dealers also have a second-hand corner.
Feb 4, 2017 1:08 PM

Sep 2016
Spain.

Practically everyone has seen at least 3 or 4 anime in their lives. There's even a Mazinger Z statue.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Feb 4, 2017 11:24 PM

Jun 2008
It's fucking China...

Why is this thread still around?

Who fucking cares.
Feb 4, 2017 11:30 PM

Oct 2016
I don't which country but I do know that its definitely not my country.
Feb 5, 2017 12:08 AM

Apr 2016
Just read this Article 👉👉👉👉👉 http://goboiano.com/original/5163-google-shows-how-popular-anime-is-in-each-country 👈👈👈👈
Oct 31, 2017 12:14 PM
Dec 2016
Anime is realy popular here in Saudi Arabia.
In my class everyone knows anime and a lot of them watchs it as well.
Even our Prince,who is next in line for the throne,Said that he likes one piece manga.
Oct 31, 2017 12:17 PM

Nov 2016
Definitely Kazakhstan and Kiribati
Sep 13, 2019 5:48 PM
Mar 2019
Philippines took the second place before Japan, according to google trends. Filipino really love anime so much, so do I.
Sep 14, 2019 1:49 AM
Jul 2018
Currently if you count all factors in (buying power, contracts, streaming, dvd/bd variety, merchandise, English language dubs/subs export control) then the USA. Country with the most advanced television network and distribution infrastructure.
For manga, France for the same reasons due to their comics infrastructure and strong cultural tradition

Historically if you count previous decades, France and Italy

Notice though that USA had access to anime and manga since the 80s, mainly via military personell and Japanese communities in America that bought or recorded videotapes with anime. Same for untranslated manga. This is how Barefoot Gen was licensed to English. There were even fan clubs, while in early 80s there was a book mentioning most of the known manga, long before the word was known.
Having a common TV standard (ntsc) proved useful, unlike in Europe.

But this did not help anime and manga to gain widespread popularity in America though, but it shows that there were niche circles interested in it.
Sep 14, 2019 2:28 AM

Apr 2016
From what I can see, outside of Japan anime is easily the most popular in America. English is the language of the West and when I visit English forums and message boards discussing anime, most posters seem to be from the US.

HOWEVER, this only accounts for the West. I can't see how big the anime fandom is from this side of the Great Firewall of China, so I have no idea how it compares to America. Presumably, the Chinese anime community could be larger due to China's larger population (and thus, more potential anime fans), but the various countries of Asia are vary antagonistic towards each other, and the Communist Party tries to regulate what makes it into China. Even if the Chinese can access anime on Billibilli or whatever site, there might be cultural reasons that would hinder the growth of the fandom. Or, I'm talking out of my ass. I don't know.
Sep 14, 2019 2:41 AM

Mar 2017
philippines is one of it definitely
Sep 14, 2019 2:59 AM

May 2018
I don't know the exact proportion, but according to Google Trends the top 5 countries that search for the word "Anime" the most are:

1- Philippines
2- Mongolia
3- Bolivia
4- Vietnam
5- Nicaragua

Sad, I thought my country Brazil was gonna be more up in the rank, but sadly it is in the position 32 in the ranking.
BaffometiSep 14, 2019 3:03 AM
[/center]
Sep 14, 2019 3:12 AM

Jul 2017
bout manga it's de facto france but for animes it's harder to figure out
Sep 14, 2019 5:45 AM

Jun 2016
I would assume maybe ..asian countries?
But from the countries i've been to, anime seems to be quite popular in France (if i compare to my own country). I still remember seeing multiple things related to anime there, even a Black Clover thingy on a small billboard like those you see at bus stops.
Sep 16, 2019 5:06 AM

Sep 2009
If it's South-East Asia, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore
Oct 10, 2019 6:31 AM

May 2015
Philippines, Saudi Arabia, El Salvador, Peru, Indonesia and Etc. - https://animemotivation.com/top-25-countries-who-love-anime-the-most/

In Google Trend (2004-Present)
1 - Philippines
2 - El Salvador
3 - Indonesia
4 - Nicaragua
5 - Bolivia
Oct 10, 2019 7:43 AM

Feb 2019
It's definitely libya, congo and chad
Oct 10, 2019 1:19 PM

Apr 2016
In Italy they are pretty popular, however it’s difficult to estimate how much they’re popular.
Oct 10, 2019 6:19 PM

Sep 2017
As it was already stated many times in this thread, mangas and animes are really popular in France

Older generations tend to focus more on movies, especially the Ghibli's, but generally people under 40 are fans of all sorts of animes

I believe it's mostly due to the "Club Dorothée", a TV show from the 90s that broadcasted a lot of now classics animes like Dragon Ball
It was REALLY popular during its airtime, so I guess it helped a lot with the spreading of anime across the country

And, as someone already said, comics are also a huge thing here in France, and this since the 1950s. So it's pretty normal for mangas to be popular and well received

The dub industry is also really big even today
Nov 21, 2019 4:45 AM
Nov 2019
AveryGamerDude said:
I've seen discussions before when I was talking about how anime is unpopular in the U.S., but a lot of people argue that America is the second best country to be an anime fan. But anime is a lot more mainstream in the Philippines, and a lot people say that anime is popular in France. In your opinion, what country besides Japan is the best country to be an anime fan?
1-japan
2Philippines
3- saudi Arabia (ofc bcz saudis people when was a children don't watching a cartoon like another kids they're waching a Dubbed anime so..ofc we will be of top 5 countys!)
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

30 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
28 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.