Forums
New
??
Yes it is
47.7%
Nope
52.3%
1,989 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2015 8:53 AM

Mar 2012
Hard to say whether it is overrated, or not. There's only 4 episodes out and so far so good. I didn't quite enjoy the fourth one as much as I did the first three episodes, but still, it is quite entertaining and worthwhile. I wouldn't give it a 10, hell, not an 8, but a solid 7/10 would be just right for what I've seen so far. It's not a comedy that I cry laughing like when I watch Gintama, but it has its moments and that's what counts. People are making alot of noise about this particular anime, but I don't think it's THAT great. It's really good though. I've recommended this to my friend.
Oct 28, 2015 9:47 AM

Feb 2012
mcgraczu said:
Hard to say whether it is overrated, or not. There's only 4 episodes out and so far so good. I didn't quite enjoy the fourth one as much as I did the first three episodes, but still, it is quite entertaining and worthwhile. I wouldn't give it a 10, hell, not an 8, but a solid 7/10 would be just right for what I've seen so far. It's not a comedy that I cry laughing like when I watch Gintama, but it has its moments and that's what counts. People are making alot of noise about this particular anime, but I don't think it's THAT great. It's really good though. I've recommended this to my friend.

First 4 episodes were episodic but now on there is going to be some progression in story. Sadly as one-punch man is going to have only 12 episodes so it is going to miss best arc it has. Probably going to be on 2nd season if one-punch man gets one.
Oct 28, 2015 10:12 AM

Jul 2013
I don't think it was "episodic"
Episode 2 and 3 were directly connected.
And the end of 4 is also directly connected to the 5.
Oct 28, 2015 11:36 AM
Aug 2011
Luserina79 said:
Not at all. If you want overrated may I guide you to Gintama and Haikyuu

Gintama and HQ!! are the best animes in the past 20 yrs

Guilek said:
I don't think it was "episodic"
Episode 2 and 3 were directly connected.
And the end of 4 is also directly connected to the 5.

They feel episodic though which leads several people saying "hurr hurr I get he's strong and it's supposed to be funny but when is it going to get serious? Repeat same gag over and over." Which let's be real, a lot of of series repeat the same shit over and over.

Anyway, I remember when I first picked up the manga I had to re-start it like 3 times because I couldn't get into it at all. I think because it felt rather disconnected?
Now I just find it super enjoyable and I think it's mostly because I love how the cast interacts later on. Characters like Fubuki and King really sealed the deal for me.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
shawnofthedeadzDec 30, 2015 1:58 AM
Oct 28, 2015 12:45 PM

Sep 2011
stand said:
Luserina79 said:
Not at all. If you want overrated may I guide you to Gintama and Haikyuu

fack off!!

Both those animes are really great and for sure not overrated, but "the best in the past 20 years" is going a little too far xD
Oct 28, 2015 1:57 PM
Oct 2015
keragamming said:
@The main thing about OPM its the comedy and I'm so far not enjoying it.

Then you're humourless.

On topic. Overrated? I guess, but OPM actually does what it does well. That's more than can be said of many anime nowadays.
Oct 28, 2015 8:59 PM

Aug 2013
Yes. Yes it is.
keragamming said:

I disagree with this, the way you look at it was pretty one dimmensional. You're basically saying if one likes action anime then they will like this. Not true. I and I've seen many as well in the one punch man anime discussion forum. Admit that the action scenes and ost is good. But the series overall lack substance, and that kills the entertainment factor, even if the action scenes and ost looks great. The story isn't interesting an the comedy is stale. What left is the action.

The series story is nothing special, the comedy sucks. What that left us with is basically only the action and ost. Its like taking away the meat from the chicken leg, and leaving us with only the bone to chew on. That's one punch man for me. So yes, its highly overrated for me, but not a bad show.

Finally somebody said it.

I am honestly baffled as to how this has almost a 9 four episodes in. That shit is a disgrace to shows like Ergo Proxy and Shinsekai yori who actually earned their 8+ scores.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
shawnofthedeadzDec 30, 2015 1:57 AM
Oct 28, 2015 10:10 PM

Mar 2012
Jonesy974 said:
Yes. Yes it is.
keragamming said:

I disagree with this, the way you look at it was pretty one dimmensional. You're basically saying if one likes action anime then they will like this. Not true. I and I've seen many as well in the one punch man anime discussion forum. Admit that the action scenes and ost is good. But the series overall lack substance, and that kills the entertainment factor, even if the action scenes and ost looks great. The story isn't interesting an the comedy is stale. What left is the action.

The series story is nothing special, the comedy sucks. What that left us with is basically only the action and ost. Its like taking away the meat from the chicken leg, and leaving us with only the bone to chew on. That's one punch man for me. So yes, its highly overrated for me, but not a bad show.

I am honestly baffled as to how this has almost a 9 four episodes in. That shit is a disgrace to shows like Ergo Proxy and Shinsekai yori who actually earned their 8+ scores.

Oh please, Shinsekai Yori wasn't even that good.

The show is only 4 episodes in which we've been getting character introductions, some backstory and a little bit of world building. Next episode seems like it'll make some progress in the story. As for the comedy it's obviously subjective since the majority enjoy it and only a few dislike it.

shawnofthedeadzDec 30, 2015 1:56 AM
Oct 28, 2015 10:18 PM
Oct 2010
Jonesy974 said:
Yes. Yes it is.
keragamming said:

People love this because it's a fun take on the usual shonen manga. This series is mostly about the action and visuals anyway (thats what I conclude after reading the original and redrawn ver. ). Whether you think its overrated or not doesn't matter because its still airing you jackass and those who rated this series before it even air are a jackasses themselves. The reason this thread exist is because of those stupid early ratings.

Mod Edit: Quote of Deleted Post Removed.
shawnofthedeadzDec 30, 2015 1:56 AM
Oct 28, 2015 10:37 PM
Aug 2011
Jonesy974 said:
That shit is a disgrace to shows like Ergo Proxy and Shinsekai yori who actually earned their 8+ scores.

Yeah just compare this series to two shows that are quite thematically different in a lot of aspects. That'll get you places in life.

It doesn't even mean that i'm defending OPM but just me pointing out the absurdity of the statement.

Jonesy974 said:
pffft.

That sound doesn't sound healthy, and if it's coming out of your butt please seek medical treatment asap.
standOct 28, 2015 10:43 PM
Oct 28, 2015 10:43 PM

Jul 2012
Avenger-senpai said:
Oh please, Shinsekai Yori wasn't even that good.

Jonesy974 said:
Because action and comedy sells better than hurrdurr deep shit. I love SSY but that stuff doesn't appeal to the average audience.
Oct 29, 2015 12:09 AM

Apr 2013
I wouldn't call it overrated. Let's just say it cater to western audience taste
Oct 29, 2015 10:40 AM

Jul 2011
Give it some time, like anything popular and new you will have people who pick any tiny detail to shit in it and how this thing it's overrated compared with other stuff that "deserves" the score more.

shawnofthedeadzDec 30, 2015 1:53 AM
Oct 29, 2015 10:54 AM

Oct 2014
Praland said:
Give it some time, like anything popular and new you will have people who pick any tiny detail to shit in it and how this thing it's overrated compared with other stuff that "deserves" the score more.

This is kind of funny, because when people make such comparisons about what shows deserves something and what shows don't, I myself actually like both of the ones mentioned equally and I usually like them for different reasons. It just re-affirms my opinion that a lot of people hate a show for one of the following reasons:

1. It's a genre they generally dislike, which, for them, seems to be a reason why the show is "overrated", i.e. for some people OPM is bad just because it has comedic elements and because it's not constantly dark, serious and edgy

2. People have their "one and only" series of that genre and don't want another one "taking the spotlight" of their favorite series

3. A certain type of "hipsters" sees a popular show... and deem it bad because it's popular

Of course there are still the ones who dislike it because they simply... don't like it, but those people usually state it like that so that is not really a mystery to solve.
Oct 29, 2015 12:46 PM

May 2012
Jonesy974 said:
Yes. Yes it is.

Ergo Proxy and Shinsekai yori are boring

Unlike those shows, OPM is entertaining to watch just like Kill la Kill
Oct 29, 2015 11:48 PM

Feb 2013
Overated or not....its only depend on people own opinion....so just dealt with it, for example i really love gintama and some people think its overated but its just their OWN opinion and i dont care at all cuz my own opinion is my own opinion and i think gintama is not overated...maybe because some people don't understand the joke but i do...other anime example is Clannad, people love that anime but i don't cuz it felt ihat anime is too slow for me..still my own opinion...It's depends on a person had other person but be sure to respect their opinion and DON'T be such an anime elitist where a person think that their think their number one favorite anime is a most amazing and other person that otherwise need to f*ck off their mind and their opinion is wrong!!...don't be like that..respect other people opinion....overall to me there are No such thing as overated anime because it's only depend on a person mind and likeness.
Nov 1, 2015 3:20 AM

Feb 2010
what OPM does is take points away from the story and invests them in characters and over the top action
Nov 2, 2015 4:46 AM

Apr 2014
stand said:

Are you the guy who's been creating MAL accounts to give Gintama a 10 over and over to bump it up? I've noticed a steady rise across the board for all seasons of Gintama which, when you're already rated above a 9 is incredibly difficult to manage without some shennanigans. Also a significant decline in the anime that were above Gintama in Clannad and HxH. Especially Clannad, which happened to take a nosedive at the same time that every single Gintama season started skyrocketing.
Nov 2, 2015 5:13 AM

Sep 2014
no, if you read the manga, it deserves it . the art in the manga is amazing. animation for anime is amazing.
Nov 2, 2015 8:52 AM

Mar 2008
If by overrated you mean SAO, then nope
Nov 2, 2015 10:32 AM

Dec 2014
I like one punch man simple story that can offer whole lot action
Nov 2, 2015 10:33 AM

Mar 2015
I initially thought it was overrated. I'm now at episode 5 and I think OPM is great for what it is and ought to be.
Nov 2, 2015 12:24 PM

Jul 2015
Honestly I think the anime is .Same for owarimonogatari .The manga isn't though .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nov 2, 2015 12:42 PM

Oct 2014
it is overrated in terms of the plot and characters. but i still think it's a great action comedy series, but definitely not on the levels of other great shows like gurren lagann, kill la kill and cowboy bebop.
Nov 2, 2015 6:31 PM

Jun 2014
Yes it is, but who cares anyway people have their opinion, if the majority like it let it be.
Nov 2, 2015 6:36 PM

Apr 2015
After 5 episodes, It still Is In my opinion. It's best asset Is the animation and nothing else comes close In quality.
Nov 2, 2015 10:45 PM

Mar 2012
idungoof said:
stand said:

Are you the guy who's been creating MAL accounts to give Gintama a 10 over and over to bump it up? I've noticed a steady rise across the board for all seasons of Gintama which, when you're already rated above a 9 is incredibly difficult to manage without some shennanigans. Also a significant decline in the anime that were above Gintama in Clannad and HxH. Especially Clannad, which happened to take a nosedive at the same time that every single Gintama season started skyrocketing.

I'm pretty sure Gintama fans wouldn't really care about a series being above it. If anything it would be fans of other shows who hate Gintama because of its high rating and making alts to give it a shit rating. I remember a lot of Brotherhood fans were pissed off when Gintama was rank #1 xD
Nov 2, 2015 11:11 PM

Feb 2014
The Tick > One Punch Man
It's entertaining and quite funny at times, but so far it hasn't been anything more than a 7 for me.
Nov 3, 2015 10:58 AM
Jul 2009
a show like this doesnt need to be deep or make a point
just turn your brain of sit back en enjoy its awesomeness

10/10
Nov 3, 2015 11:19 AM

Apr 2013
I don't see the point in the fights. It's ok to not take itself too seriously like Jojo, but in a comedy like OPM the fights simply lack tension.
Nov 3, 2015 12:58 PM

Apr 2014
nowa_ said:
I don't see the point in the fights. It's ok to not take itself too seriously like Jojo, but in a comedy like OPM the fights simply lack tension.

OPM isn't pure comedy, so the fights have merit. Everyone knows the MC wins but it's still action. Mindless entertainment but still action. Even if you don't think the fights add anything, it doesn't change the fact that it's still an action-comedy. Fights are important for an action show as are gags for a comedy. As hatsumira said, the non-Saitama battles will be of more interest and have more variety.

In ten words or less: OPM is an action-comedy. Fights are a given.

Relating to the topic, I am cautious of people who use popularity as a reason to score a show that hasn't finished airing. "Overrated" and "underrated" are buzzwords that don't mean anything. They're empty. Hype should not be a basis for judging a series.

For the case of OPM, having literally no expectations is ideal.
capricious_saladNov 3, 2015 1:51 PM

Nov 4, 2015 4:39 AM

Oct 2014
opm is good but its not something I would rate 8 or above so yeah its overrated.
Nov 4, 2015 5:57 AM

Jan 2014
I wish someone in our incompetent governments would ban the word 'overrated' to the ninth circle of hell. Hype does not define the show's worth. "Not worth the hype" or "Worth the hype" are all disgusting phrases.

When will people learn to like an anime for what it is....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2015 5:59 AM

Oct 2014
MagicalMahou said:
I wish someone in our incompetent governments would ban the word 'overrated' to the ninth circle of hell. Hype does not define the show's worth. "Not worth the hype" or "Worth the hype" are all disgusting phrases.

When will people learn to like an anime for what it is....

Well, "overrated" is a subtle way of saying "the majority has shit taste/invalid opinions, only mine is correct!"
Nov 4, 2015 1:09 PM

Nov 2012
It's a good show I guess, but indeed overhyped. The way people were talking I expected some sort of Hunter X Hunter or FMAB level shit, but it's not really anything special. It just has the unique setting of unstoppable character's point of view. In a way it's nice to have a different taste and having a story where the main character isn't an underdog, but at the same time people still acted like it would be god's gift to anime.
Jaywalker.
Nov 4, 2015 1:50 PM
Oct 2015
ppl say opm is overrated cuz they're did not read the manga

they hate us cuz they a#us
Nov 4, 2015 2:08 PM

Mar 2011
I think it's pretty good, and I like how they are making the episodes. But I do think it's too early to put a final rate/thoughts about the series, I prefer to wait until the end of it, get the conclusions and a final rate of it. Before I thought (for example) Shingeki no Kyojin was pretty good, in the end of it I didn't think it was that good.
I'd like to talk about the manga, but first it needs to shown up in the anime before that, and we don't even know how much they'll make or how many episodes (they can say 12, but later they can say more than that, like with HXH when they said they'd make it with 60+ episodes and we all know how it ended).
My opinion is, OPM until now, it's good. Overhyped: yes, overrated? That depends too much in people's opinion and taste.
Many things might change when the other characters appear, like Fubuki and Tatsumaki.
Nov 4, 2015 2:18 PM

Jun 2013
There is one of these threads on literally every anime done by MadHouse.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Nov 4, 2015 3:11 PM

Sep 2013
Dimitrije1606 said:
There is one of these threads on literally every anime done by MadHouse.

You do have to admit if madhouse didn't do it, the HYPE wouldn't be as big.
Nov 4, 2015 4:08 PM
Oct 2015
VanishingKira said:
labrax said:
ppl say opm is overrated cuz they're did not read the manga
Some of us have read the manga as well and think it's overrated as well.

yeah, did they read the manga before an anime adaptation ???
its their opinion anyway

i'm out to bato.to
*oh god, opm web comic 114 is hilarious AF
Nov 4, 2015 4:19 PM

Oct 2014
NintensityCrowds said:
it is overrated in terms of the plot and characters. but i still think it's a great action comedy series, but definitely not on the levels of other great shows like gurren lagann, kill la kill and cowboy bebop.

Lol at Kill la Kill being on the same sentence as Cowboy Bebop and GL.

Nov 4, 2015 5:04 PM

Sep 2011
No, it's pure unadulterated fun.
Nov 4, 2015 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
Only the music and budget are good. The comedy is mediocre at best. Meh.
Nov 4, 2015 7:09 PM

Aug 2014
It's funny though. I thought overrated means "something popular that someone doesn't like because it doesn't suit his/her taste or he/she just doesn't like it because it's popular".
Nov 4, 2015 8:25 PM
Sep 2015
NintensityCrowds said:

I'm sorry, did you just put gureen lagann and kill la kill in the same level as "cowboy bebop"?

You.. you just don't do that man, it's heresy :/
Nov 4, 2015 8:50 PM

May 2015
LordPerucho said:
NintensityCrowds said:

Lol at Kill la Kill being on the same sentence as Cowboy Bebop and GL.
Panzertreee said:
NintensityCrowds said:

I'm sorry, did you just put gureen lagann and kill la kill in the same level as "cowboy bebop"?

You.. you just don't do that man, it's heresy :/

I mean, Kill la Kill was pretty good guys.

On Topic: yes, I do think the One Punch Man Anime is overrated. The manga and web comic deserve their love, but the anime is only 5 episodes in and is treated as the anime of the season/year etc. While I think it is a great show, it's only 7/10 for me so far, and is getting way to much praise for things. Also Saitama vs x character bullshit arguments.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Nov 5, 2015 1:18 AM

Dec 2007
Why the hell people care if something is overrated or not?
Nov 5, 2015 10:51 AM

May 2014
I do think so, I don't find this series to be very humoristic.
And it's got an 8.77 now jesus christ, ranked #30 :p
Nov 5, 2015 10:54 AM
Dec 2009
I watched the first five episodes because of the reviews and what other people have been sayin about it. It's not really that good. It's ok. 5/6/ score imo
Nov 5, 2015 7:50 PM
Nov 2010
You can say the setup is similar to Mahouka, with a more down to earth main character. There will be a high correlation in those who love this and Mahouka.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Oct 17, 2015

431 by OnigirisBasket »»
Apr 26, 1:40 PM

» Live Action Movie gets new writers (Rick and Morty writer and creator)

OvergrownRover - Apr 14

2 by Kadano »»
Apr 23, 12:40 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2015

346 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Apr 22, 2:24 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

986 by larryfirst »»
Mar 28, 5:27 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

337 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Mar 18, 12:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.