Forum Settings
Forums

What was the last anime you've seen that you consider a masterpiece and what made it so?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 19, 2015 12:21 PM

Dec 2012
Death Parade (2015) was the most recent chronologically and the only one from this year so far. It's a masterpiece because it has good storylines, great characters, was well made, succeeded in getting me emotionally invested and ended well.
KruszerOct 19, 2015 12:26 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 19, 2015 12:24 PM
May 2015
Jojo Stardust thé cliffhanger and the suspense was so well done that my dopamine went up like hell.
Oct 19, 2015 12:32 PM

Nov 2012
kaiba was the latest show i've rated a 10/10 (watched it in june), and i consider it a masterpiece because it tells a beautiful and touching story set in a highly imaginative and creative world.
Oct 19, 2015 1:19 PM

Mar 2015
Deitsuck said:
Mushishi. A very chill show, and it managed to keep me interested every episode. The mood set in it is also absolutely fantastic. I couldn't have asked for more.
>more chapter
>a conclusive about ginko past
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 19, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2012
TripleSRank said:
mayukachan said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/14397/Chihayafuru_2

Winter 2013

It was an emotional roller-coaster There were new team members and lots of development for the returning cast. Also, some romantic development. I nearly cried in each episode because of how dramatic and stunning each episode was.

I didn't realize you liked Chihayafuru that much. :o
It's like my 2nd favourite anime, ever ;-;

GaryL said:
ExTamplier said:
She is Canadian.

Who is canadian?

me
Oct 19, 2015 2:08 PM

Feb 2015
SeijiSensei said:
I'll vote for Death Parade as well. I found myself rethinking every story after watching them, and the production values and musical score were top-notch. Probably the best show I've seen from the reconstituted Madhouse, with Parasyte as runner-up.

DuskSunDawn said:
Kuuchuu Buranko (Fall 2009). Its unique color palette, textures and plot make this serie an unmistakable one. Kuuchuu Buranko deserves to be called "one of a kind".

You definitely should watch all of Nakamura Kenji's works then. He always brings something extra to the table. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=5305

Thanks for the suggestion! I've watched some of them (BAV, Mononoke, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, Perfect Blue, ...)
I hope to find something as creative as Mononoke and Kuuchuu Buranko.
I'm watching Kagewani and Kowabon.
The first one is very enjoyable. I think they made a good job choosing its combination (texture, color, sound...). I hope each case is connected because I really want to give it 9/10.
The last one is very interesting (its technique and its texture is very original) but I don't think I will give it more than 7/10 because its content, its camera view... are not very rich. It's too short.
DuskSunDawnOct 19, 2015 2:38 PM
Oct 19, 2015 2:17 PM

Oct 2013
I'm very lenient with my 7-9 ratings, but very harsh with my 10 ratings (basically what I consider to be a masterpiece)

A masterpiece for me has to have been enjoyable, thought provocative, no glaring flaws, and stood the test of time.

The only thing I have seen that combines all these is Cowboy Bebop.

I can understand why someone wouldn't like it, but I haven't actually heard a reason for it other than "I thought it was boring"
Some people are into that kind of thing.
Oct 19, 2015 2:25 PM

Apr 2015
mayukachan said:

me

Disgusting =<
Oct 19, 2015 2:26 PM

Mar 2015
Tylaen said:
mayukachan said:

me

Disgusting =<

xD
Oct 19, 2015 2:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Right now with Natsume's Book of friends. It's just so nice, heartwarming, every stories are great and everyones are lovable.

Tylaen said:
mayukachan said:

me

Disgusting =<

How dare you sir.
*angrily stares in canadian*

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 19, 2015 2:29 PM

Oct 2014
the last masterrpiece finished airing in 1997 it was legend of the galatic heroes the best space opera witch focus on social political themes and large scale conflicts and has the biggest cast of well rounded and developed characters
Oct 19, 2015 2:31 PM

Feb 2015
Ginga Eiyû Densetsu.
A true man never dies.
Oct 19, 2015 3:48 PM

May 2012
mayukachan said:
Who is canadian?
me

Who are you voting for, Mayuka, if I might ask? You are voting, right? Voting is a habit; it's good to start early.

If I lived in his riding, I'd vote for Wyatt Scott

Some of those Three Amigos who produced the ad clearly have watched anime. Unless cross-dressing Japanese men are common in Canadian media.
SeijiSenseiOct 19, 2015 3:52 PM
Oct 19, 2015 3:51 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
SeijiSensei said:
mayukachan said:

me

Who are you voting for, Mayuka, if I might ask? You are voting, right? Voting is a habit; it's good to start early.

If I lived in his riding, I'd vote for Wyatt Scott

Some of those Three Amigos who produced the ad clearly have watched anime. Unless cross-dressing Japanese men are common in Canadian media.

(Plz not Harper)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 19, 2015 4:21 PM

Nov 2013
Rokka no Yuusha.

I've yet to see an anime that created that much tension. It gave me Code Geass vibes in places too. The characters were great, and the OST has to be one of my favourites. My only major complaint other than the drop in visuals after the first couple of episodes was the fact that it isn't longer, but there doesn't really seem to be a good place to stop after that point so far. I'd love to see the whole thing animated at some point, but I guess the sales have made that impossible T_T
Oct 19, 2015 4:23 PM

Aug 2010
Kamisama no Memochou, I started watching it a while ago, I kinda liked the art but nothing more so I let it on the side. A few years later, I decided to actually watch it until the end and that was... amazing. Really didn't expect that lol
Oct 19, 2015 4:36 PM

Jan 2014
The last anime that I completed was legend of the galactic heroes and that's pretty much a masterpiece so yea LOGH FTW
ZA WARUDO WRYYYYYY
Oct 19, 2015 4:52 PM

May 2015
Kekkai Sensen: Lots of likeable charas, pretty random (in a good way), gr8 animation & OSTs, and the finale is worth waiting.

B A S E D B O N E S
Oct 19, 2015 4:53 PM
Oct 2015
I don't think anything has eclipsed Attack on Titan yet. The animation, art, story, and score are all incredible. Most of all though, the show was intense and shocking, but the thrills never felt cheap. Sure, there were a lot of gruesome, on-screen deaths, but they all served to bring about this feeling of dread and terror.
Oct 19, 2015 6:38 PM

Apr 2014
Oct 19, 2015 6:41 PM
Nov 2014
I recently watched Now and Then, Here and There and that was absolutely amazing. The World, the characters, the package as a whole, everything worked extremely well and it was really good, a definite masterpiece.
Oct 19, 2015 7:59 PM

Sep 2013
Non Non Biyori - Fall 2013 (1st season), Summer 2014 (OVA), Summer 2015 (2nd season)

I found this series to be a masterpiece within its category - relaxing, atmospheric slice-of-life. This sort of series does not have high drama or a complex plot; it is instead driven by characters and, most importantly, its general atmosphere and aesthetic quality. In a way, watching it is like being drawn into a moving painting. The backgrounds are vivid, colorful, detailed, and quite beautiful - often more lifelike than real life itself. The soundtrack is simple and understated, entirely appropriate to the simple and carefree life depicted in the series. It is an effective portrait of a world that is familiar but disappearing. Though clearly set in the present day, it depicts the day-to-day antics of children growing up in the countryside, enjoying the simple pleasures of life well away from the complexity and dangers of the contemporary world. On the surface, it is a cheerful show, but it leaves the viewer with a bittersweet feeling - a sense of loss in knowing that the world these children inhabit seems increasingly idealized and unrealistic as the pressures of modern life encroach on what little remains of the joys of childhood.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Oct 19, 2015 8:03 PM

Dec 2013
Mononoke.
Summer 2007.
Oct 19, 2015 8:24 PM

Oct 2013
Mononoke Hime. Wasn't expecting much, got way more than I was expecting. The last series to get a 10/10 from me before I watch Mononoke, was snk, and that was 2 years ago.
Oct 19, 2015 8:35 PM

Sep 2015
mayukachan said:
TripleSRank said:

I didn't realize you liked Chihayafuru that much. :o
It's like my 2nd favourite anime, ever ;-;

GaryL said:

Who is canadian?

me

Well that was awkward, since I was refering to my own question... Now I'm confused
Oct 20, 2015 5:06 AM

Apr 2008
Hajime no Ippo, an anime I watched for the first time just a few months ago.

Oct 20, 2015 8:48 AM

Nov 2014
There're 2 anime that i consider masterpiece recently..

Nanatsu no Taizai (Fall 2014) -- Definitely 1 of the best shonen genre in recent years with a great plot and characters

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure : Stardust Crusaders s2 (Winter 2015) -- Unique series with unique battle style (It's technically adapted from 90's manga though)
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Oct 20, 2015 9:15 AM

Sep 2013
Wolf and Life is master piece.
try it ur self.
Oct 21, 2015 5:10 PM

Mar 2011
Stand alone complex 1st gig.

A 10 should be immersive and and reasonably. Being easy to follow is a plus. The latter DQs a good many, like akira, for me.

Of note, lucky star disappeared from crunchyroll while I was watching. That gives me an idea D=
sheep-eOct 21, 2015 5:27 PM
Oct 21, 2015 9:05 PM
Dec 2014
FMAB, watched it Dec 2014, I'm watching Code geass atm and it is the closest to a masterpiece since then.
My Top 5 Anime: (As of March 2020)
1. Fate/Zero
2. Gintama
3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4. Shinsekai Yori
5. Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Oct 21, 2015 9:12 PM

Aug 2014
For me, all animes are masterpiece.

When I watch an episode, I just ignore the bad parts, focus on the good parts, and then all episodes are 10 out of 10.
Oct 21, 2015 9:13 PM

Mar 2015
Zankyou No Terror.And watched FMAB recently it was amazing.
Oct 21, 2015 9:26 PM

Oct 2015
TTGL.I rate stuff based on how much i enjoyed it and if it impacted me.I kinda had low self-esteem and confidence before i found TTGL a year back. Now i can walk with a stronger step in my pace,be less pessimistic,and overall feel more alive.I now believe in the me that believes in me.To others with a weak will,i implore you to watch TTGL.It may not have the same impact on u as did me,but its a fun ride as long as you take it for what the show is.May your drills pierce the heavens some day(if u know what i mean...)
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Oct 21, 2015 11:28 PM

Aug 2014
ooo333 said:
For me, all animes are masterpiece.

When I watch an episode, I just ignore the bad parts, focus on the good parts, and then all episodes are 10 out of 10.

I adore you, sir. I hope you can teach me how to watch Code Geass and One Piece.
Oct 22, 2015 1:36 AM

Jul 2014
Kokoro Connect is my most recently aired 10/10.
Hanasaku Iroha is my most recently watched 10/10.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - 2 hours ago

15 by Kruszer »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list?

Cammell - 4 hours ago

35 by Kruszer »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - Yesterday

31 by BerriesSan »»
18 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 7 hours ago

36 by Rinrinka »»
19 minutes ago

» Does it bother you to think how much time we burn waiting for new anime?

Zimmu - 1 hour ago

14 by Zimmu »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.