Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 11, 2015 11:05 PM

Jul 2011
We finally get a taste of the revolutionary army. Whether it's BB vs. the Revolutionary Army or the RA being on Zou (holy shit Dragon meets Luffy again!?), I'm excited to see the RA becoming more involved and to learn more about them. Can't wait to see the higher ups!

I'm so excited for the direction now... with the Throne Wars and all the big players gathering. No more small games here!
Oct 12, 2015 2:54 PM

Nov 2010
You all realize that all this throne wars and Dragon vs BB and other epic stuff won't happen anytime soon, right?

This is most likely the same kind of situation as with Ace and BB from pre skip. We had BB doing stuff, Ace searching for him, Shanks and WB's meeting adn talking about it, marines hyping evertyhing up etc, but the whole plotline escalated only at the end of pre-skip and concluded on Marineford.

So don't get too excited, because although it's going to get more and more epic, it will take a lot of time until we reach the best stuff.
Oct 12, 2015 3:45 PM

Jan 2013
Dahaka_ said:
You all realize that all this throne wars and Dragon vs BB and other epic stuff won't happen anytime soon, right?

This is most likely the same kind of situation as with Ace and BB from pre skip. We had BB doing stuff, Ace searching for him, Shanks and WB's meeting adn talking about it, marines hyping evertyhing up etc, but the whole plotline escalated only at the end of pre-skip and concluded on Marineford.

So don't get too excited, because although it's going to get more and more epic, it will take a lot of time until we reach the best stuff.

Yup pretty much this,for me people who doesn't get this sounds like someone who is reading the wrong manga
Oct 12, 2015 4:19 PM

Jun 2008
Hiroyuuki said:
Monad said:

Dragon power probably has something to do with controlling the air. At least that is the conclusion i get from the few appearances he made.

Thats my whole point, you can influence the air and the whole wheater just by controling the Ocean.

WHAT? Controlling the ocean is a completely different power than controlling air. Also i doubt there is an ability to control the ocean considering that the ocean water is an ability users weakness.
Oct 13, 2015 12:51 AM

Aug 2014
Monad said:
Hiroyuuki said:

Thats my whole point, you can influence the air and the whole wheater just by controling the Ocean.

WHAT? Controlling the ocean is a completely different power than controlling air. Also i doubt there is an ability to control the ocean considering that the ocean water is an ability users weakness.

One Piece = OP = Ocean Power
Oct 13, 2015 4:35 AM

Mar 2014
Sky climbing .
Revolution is futile .
Explosive spoilers ~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2015 12:21 PM

Jun 2012
I think Blackbeard is just going to tip off the world government about dragons location. That would weaken both sides with him pretty much sitting there doing nothing but being a pussy :D
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Oct 17, 2015 9:06 AM

Jul 2015
After sitting on this chapter for a whole week, let's just say I'm presumptuously disappointed.

The events that went down are out of this world, don't get me wrong, but the structure in which Oda decided on implementing them with is extremely questionable to me. Keep in mind, this has been a minor problem Oda hasn't learned from Thriller Bark that has recently turned major (I.e Zoro's clash with Ryuma played out in reverse, Fishman Island's time-jumps etc.) and it's not like Oda doesn't know how to properly set-up eventual developments in relation to time since he has showcased this masterfully with Ace Vs. Blackbeard!

Blackbeard/Dragon segment simply should not have been placed in this chapter. It's a sign of weakness in Oda's writing because he lacks confidence with his material; he can't consistently focus his direction on Zou with the reader's attention so he diverts the setting to tease his trump card, thus creating artificial hype. No one gives a flying fuck about Zou anymore because the Revolutionaries are now overshadowing everything. It's a case of breaking what was built up just to rebuild something different, which is an extremely weak narrative device. This is why it's a complete misstep not having this set-up happen earlier along with the other aftermath developments (e.g Sanji's wanted poster, Doffy's Throne Wars speech etc.) before the narrator signified the beginning of a new adventure with the Zou arc.

It's this kind of awkwardly transitional writing that makes people forget Dressrosa was actually a great arc because there's so much inconsistent directorial focus (e.g. Pica playing hide & seek with Zoro to buy time for other simultaneous events to play out rather than sticking with one scenario).

This is all presumptuous on my part because who knows, maybe all the sidetracking in this chapter is going to be specifically mutually inclusive with Zou, but for now I'm very disappointed that this is still a prominent flaw with Oda's storytelling.

(2.5/5)
Oct 17, 2015 12:17 PM

May 2015
M0nkeyD_Luffy said:
After sitting on this chapter for a whole week, let's just say I'm presumptuously disappointed.

The events that went down are out of this world, don't get me wrong, but the structure in which Oda decided on implementing them with is extremely questionable to me. Keep in mind, this has been a minor problem Oda hasn't learned from Thriller Bark that has recently turned major (I.e Zoro's clash with Ryuma played out in reverse, Fishman Island's time-jumps etc.) and it's not like Oda doesn't know how to properly set-up eventual developments in relation to time since he has showcased this masterfully with Ace Vs. Blackbeard!

Blackbeard/Dragon segment simply should not have been placed in this chapter. It's a sign of weakness in Oda's writing because he lacks confidence with his material; he can't consistently focus his direction on Zou with the reader's attention so he diverts the setting to tease his trump card, thus creating artificial hype. No one gives a flying fuck about Zou anymore because the Revolutionaries are now overshadowing everything. It's a case of breaking what was built up just to rebuild something different, which is an extremely weak narrative device. This is why it's a complete misstep not having this set-up happen earlier along with the other aftermath developments (e.g Sanji's wanted poster, Doffy's Throne Wars speech etc.) before the narrator signified the beginning of a new adventure with the Zou arc.

It's this kind of awkwardly transitional writing that makes people forget Dressrosa was actually a great arc because there's so much inconsistent directorial focus (e.g. Pica playing hide & seek with Zoro to buy time for other simultaneous events to play out rather than sticking with one scenario).

This is all presumptuous on my part because who knows, maybe all the sidetracking in this chapter is going to be specifically mutually inclusive with Zou, but for now I'm very disappointed that this is still a prominent flaw with Oda's storytelling.

(2.5/5)

Well, the thing you have to accept is that Blackbeard vs Dragon is a side thing, it's just the sorta thing Oda has always done that's he doing alot more recently since the timeskip. The Dragon vs Blackbeard thing isn't going to steal the show because it's probably not going to really be focused on until probably the end of Zou. It's a "look what else is happening around the world" and than later we'll probably see whats come off it, through mention in another arc focusing on the straw-hats or through Oda cutting scenes again.

Zou has literally just started and we haven't even met one character on the island...bar the island itself. There was hardly anything to distract you with at all, he just showed a completely separate event. Did Ace vs Blackbeard steal the attention from thriller bark which started directly after it? No? This is the same exact case.

Side-Tracking always happens at the beginning of the arc because the arc hasn't really started yet, One Piece is the kind of manga with a really big world and alot of factions/characters, this is not a downside but a strict upside. The only negative is one week and 15 or so pages to focus on the events of the world, that's all that's been happening since Fishma Island(talk about blackbeard at the end of the arc).

Maybe you just need to contain your hype, it's not actually focusing on three things at once, it's instead showing you "what's happening to the not-main-characters" basically.

This is a really extreme reaction to a really small thing.

Saying this is any different from Ace vs Blackbeard because "nobody gives a flying fuck about Zou" is a really ridiculous thing. You get a sneak peak at what's happening around the world and somehow that has dragged your attention away from the characters you've been spending time with for well over 300 chapters? I can't see how the problem is Oda's attention span instead of your own.

It's the exact same thing with Ace vs Blackbeard, he showed what was happening around the world and than showed a gigantic elephant. That is, the current arc. Just like he focused on Banaro Island, which was told to be a huge event by Oda's own infoboxes and than showed the ghost island Thriller Bark, the current arc at the time. The only different was that the result was actually shown, but it's the exact same narrative case and the infoboxes even hyped up the "huge events" that defeating Ace would have.

the Revolutionaries are now overshadowing everything.

They appeared in what, four pages?
ashfrliebertOct 17, 2015 12:30 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Oct 17, 2015 1:27 PM

Jul 2015
ashfrliebert said:
M0nkeyD_Luffy said:

(2.5/5)

Zou has literally just started and we haven't even met one character on the island...bar the island itself. There was hardly anything to distract you with at all, he just showed a completely separate event. Did Ace vs Blackbeard steal the attention from thriller bark which started directly after it? No? This is the same exact case.

No it isn't. The point you're trying to make is that it diffused the tension coming off of Enies Lobby; as it should, because we dealt with everything regarding that arc. That's why Thriller Bark happened directly afterwards. The Revolutionary set-up occurred after we already journeyed to Zou, which completely ruins any intrigue built up for the upcoming arc as you said.

Side-Tracking always happens at the beginning of the arc because the arc hasn't really started yet, One Piece is the kind of manga with a really big world and alot of factions/characters, this is not a downside but a strict upside. The only negative is one week and 15 or so pages to focus on the events of the world, that's all that's been happening since Fishma Island(talk about blackbeard at the end of the arc).

Once again this happened at the end of the arc, which is appropriate. Side-tracking as a way to distract the reader from your subpar introduction to an arc is lazy writing.

Maybe you just need to contain your hype, it's not actually focusing on three things at once, it's instead showing you "what's happening to the not-main-characters" basically.

This is a really extreme reaction to a really small thing.

I understand it's a small thing for you but to me, it ruins a major component of adventure storytelling that I simply can't overlook when it consistently and predominately shows room for improvement. I mean this is the kinda shit that made me drop Magi...

Saying this is any different from Ace vs Blackbeard because "nobody gives a flying fuck about Zou" is a really ridiculous thing. You get a sneak peak at what's happening around the world and somehow that has dragged your attention away from the characters you've been spending time with for well over 300 chapters? I can't see how the problem is Oda's attention span instead of your own.

It's not my attention span. I'm still excited as fuck for Zou but I'm just disappointed that Oda resorted to minimalistic writing devices developing and structuring this aspect of the story when otherwise, he is a fucking deity when it comes to world-building!

the Revolutionaries are now overshadowing everything.
They appeared in what, four pages?

One page can ruin a whole story, my friend.
M0nkeyD_LuffyOct 17, 2015 1:31 PM
Oct 18, 2015 9:17 AM

May 2015
M0nkeyD_Luffy said:

No it isn't. The point you're trying to make is that it diffused the tension coming off of Enies Lobby; as it should, because we dealt with everything regarding that arc. That's why Thriller Bark happened directly afterwards. The Revolutionary set-up occurred after we already journeyed to Zou, which completely ruins any intrigue built up for the upcoming arc as you said.

This quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've seen o_o, we didn't land on the island nor did we meet anyone from the island. The Prior Arc was more of an intro, we literally only say the island. We did not really journey it at all.

How does it ruin any built up whatsoever? The fact that something else is focused on doesn't change the fact that the built up still happened.

Once again this happened at the end of the arc, which is appropriate. Side-tracking as a way to distract the reader from your subpar introduction to an arc is lazy writing.

It didn't actually really start at all, and I don't really see how you can argue it did. We literally met the island, we haven't met on character on it thus far. WTF, did you honestly "forget" that a giant elephant appeared moments before Blackbeard and the revolutionary army appear?

I understand it's a small thing for you but to me, it ruins a major component of adventure storytelling that I simply can't overlook when it consistently and predominately shows room for improvement. I mean this is the kinda shit that made me drop Magi...

So an arc focusing on three separate events for 3/4th chapter of what's usually at the very least a 20(and considering the zou paper book on Oda's desk, it's probably gone to be significantly more) chapter arc can make you drop a 800 chapter series? WTF

It's not my attention span. I'm still excited as fuck for Zou but I'm just disappointed that Oda resorted to minimalistic writing devices developing and structuring this aspect of the story when otherwise, he is a fucking deity when it comes to world-building!

If you're still excited for Zou than the whole problem of moving the attention away from Zou for a chapter is..completely gone?
Oct 18, 2015 10:20 AM

Jul 2015
ashfrliebert said:
If you're still excited for Zou than the whole problem of moving the attention away from Zou for a chapter is..completely gone?

Since you seem to have forgotten the second part of that comment: I'm disappointed that Oda resorted to minimalistic writing devices developing and structuring this aspect of the story/world-building.
Oct 18, 2015 12:50 PM

May 2015
M0nkeyD_Luffy said:
ashfrliebert said:

Since you seem to have forgotten the second part of that comment: I'm disappointed that Oda resorted to minimalistic writing devices developing and structuring this aspect of the story/world-building.

If the story was still enough that it didn't even drift your attention away from the subject, I still don't see the problem. It's to build up hype in entirely different parts of the story that'll probably be focused on later, not to cover for the hype this arc already has. Nothing has even happened, and nothing will happen there, so the whole "covering up hype" thing is irrelevant.

The thing is, you're saying he's focusing on other, hyper things to cover up the "lackluster" part of the story, but that part of the story hasn't even started.
Oct 18, 2015 10:39 PM

Sep 2013
I just remembered that Kuzan is with black beard :O
He will probably tip off the marines and it will be a 3 way war <3 more yonkou might show up too XD
This is gonna be BIG.
Oct 19, 2015 8:47 AM

Jun 2012
M0nkeyD_Luffy said:
ashfrliebert said:

The way i think about what you are saying, is that he shouldn't have done this revolutionary army part because it overshadows Zou completely and kills it's hype, even though you said you are still hyped/excited for Zou?

It makes sense, seeing as Sabo and Koala were part of the most recent arc, as way Burgess, it's not like he's skipped to some completely irrelevant place/character and we also still progressed towards Zou, which hasn't even started yet i might add.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Oct 19, 2015 1:54 PM

Apr 2009
amazing chapter ninja ftw
Oct 21, 2015 4:18 AM

Oct 2012
Jarjaxle said:
....Robin...thinks that Drawn Dragon is cute....Oh Man Miss All-Sunday really has changed from the times of the Baroque Works huh.

Lol...Word Ninja..and Even Law got interested!!! finally soon hear past of Momo and Kin'emon

Yep the best parts of this chapter :P LOL at Buggy too :)
Oct 23, 2015 9:11 AM

Feb 2015
The BB vs Revolutionary Army Hype,I don't see where they can go with it both can't really lose a lot.

I need more Buggy dammit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2016 6:28 PM
Oct 2015
When your father doesn't give a shit about you
May 16, 2018 12:55 PM

Feb 2013
Lool, I wasn't expecting Law to be interested in ninja's too, I guess we are all the same.
Robin is right, that dragon is kawaii.
How didn't they notice Burgess on the ship, he is huge!
Oct 6, 2022 1:22 PM

Mar 2021
Haven't seen Buggy in a while. His hair is so long after the timeskip lol

Nov 4, 2022 4:01 AM

May 2021
LMAO, even Law got excited upon hearing the word ninja.

May 28, 2023 3:54 PM

Dec 2022
Buggy is back and he’s not gonna be happy to hear about fleet master Luffy!
A NINJA!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Apr 23

55 by steeltec »»
May 1, 11:17 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 1

0 by AhriTheS3xyFox »»
May 1, 10:31 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1110 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Mar 12

64 by cry4heals »»
May 1, 5:18 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1081 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 17, 2023

74 by anubela »»
May 1, 9:56 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 770 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LunyRem - Dec 11, 2014

50 by KoniginElle »»
Apr 26, 11:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.