Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 14, 2009 5:37 PM

Jul 2008
I have a Death Note t-shirt that I wear every now and then, and various other Japanese-related t-shirts. My friends and family know I love anime, and I talk about it a lot with friends. We like to quote the occasional series as well, and discuss things rather passionately. Anyone listening in to our conversation would immediately know we're anime fans, that is if they don't know already. I'm quite open about both mine and others interests, and no one has judged me wrongly or avoided because I like anime. Its just another entertainment medium afterall, just like television programmes and films. Everyone has their preferences, so its nothing to be ashamed of liking. Closet fans need to realise that the entire anime fanbase isn't just nerds going around shouting quotes. There are so many great people out there who are interested in anime, and I have personally had a fantastic time getting to know some. Interests are what fuel friendships. I don't understand how someone can completely mask a great passion.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Dec 14, 2009 5:45 PM

Nov 2009
Yeah. Hiding your power level in public is a must! Once my power level was OVER 9000! I like to let people think they have the advantage.

On a serious note though, I wouldn't really wear anything anime related unless I was cosplaying. I don't mind talking about it at all. Why hide your interests? Usually, I wont bring it up unless the person asks. I also don't mind having anime related items in public. Nothing like a massive toy sword though, etc. Just like box sets, music, etc.

Whats there to be embarrassed about? Seems to me like your a little shy :P. Everyone has different interests. It isn't going to make you a social reject just because you like anime.
Dec 14, 2009 5:57 PM

Jun 2009
Oh I also bring my Tenjho Tenge bag to school....some of my friends question the size of Maya's breasts though XD.
Dec 14, 2009 6:16 PM

Oct 2009
GenericAsianGuy said:

On a related note, I plan to set my cell phone's ringtone as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRpSRP0l4bo
I hate you for linking that! Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head AGAIN. D:
Dec 14, 2009 6:27 PM

Jul 2008
I'm darks skined and my aura is yellow, what do you think?
Dec 14, 2009 8:55 PM

Jan 2009
i dont have any anime merchandises from clothing to figurines or even room posters
i just download and watch them thats all and have pics of anime in my pc

so a lot of people dont know that i like anime
Dec 14, 2009 8:59 PM

May 2008
idoru said:
I sometimes take fashion cues from anime

Ah, I as well. This is why I sometimes get defensive of cosplay, even though I'm not a fan of it.

I'm not a fan of cosplay. Not so much as I'm forwarding the idea that it's no good or "embarrassing" as I'm just not fond of the idea of dressing up like a character absolutely, unless you're literally acting them for a movie or play or something.

Too many people who bash cosplay bash it on basis of "anything animesque is not okay for people to wear", which is very much not true in my opinion. Any sort of fiction unless the fiction is already blatantly bad fashion(such as raygun sci-fi fashion) translates into real life. A lot of fiction has good fashion, and it's natural to take inspiration from fashion when you see it and not me like "oh not that's from an anime I can't look anything like that".

The school uniforms of Japan are boring and sexist and gender role enforcing, so it's not that so much. Japanese Western influenced formalwear is actually quite boring. But the fantasy fashion, that can be something to behold sometimes. For instance, gigantic buttons. Why don't enough fashion companies realize how cute they look?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Dec 14, 2009 9:10 PM

Mar 2009
elfen1ied said:
I will never tell a soul other than the internet.

No reason to do that.
Dec 14, 2009 9:17 PM

Jul 2008
Well my friend know that I like anime but I don't mind much. Why? Probably because i'm not an Otaku and people knows it.
I don't mind talking about anime with people in real life if they bring it up but what I absolutely hate is when some of my friends get loud and that other people get a catch on our conversation, I get fucking embarassed.
Otherwise I don't wear anything anime related and never start a conversation about anime except with some friends who are also watching some.
Dec 14, 2009 9:23 PM

Sep 2008
I don't mind cosplay as long as you look remotely like the character and a body worth showing.....
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Dec 14, 2009 10:03 PM

Nov 2008
nah.
I don't hide the fact I love to watch basketball and football, why should I hide the fact I enjoy anime as well?
hi
Dec 15, 2009 12:42 AM
Apr 2009
i have a death note shirt...
and i wear it...
i'm not ashame of showing to people that i'm an otaku XDD
besides, i do love to play with my hair...
i mean when i saw any anime characters with their own hairstyle,i'll try to imitate their hairstyle^^
Dec 15, 2009 2:13 AM

Jan 2009
sis_zety said:
i do love to play with my hair...
i mean when i saw any anime characters with their own hairstyle,i'll try to imitate their hairstyle^^

back when i was in elementary i like to gel my hair to make it look spiky just like the saiyans
Dec 15, 2009 2:13 AM

Oct 2009
I am not an otaku and I have no desire to become one. That being said, I never let anyone guess I watch anime. Only a few of my friends / direct family know.

It is always quite a pain having to bring down the shana wallscroll whenever guests are over!
Dec 15, 2009 5:54 AM

Jun 2007
Never openly admitted to it to any of my friends. But they obviously know I like it from the other forum I post on, as well as my small DVD collection. I'm by no means an otaku though. I have no desire to cosplay, buy t-shirts or even attend cons.
Dec 15, 2009 5:58 AM

Jan 2008
If it comes up, it comes up. I don't go out of my way to avoid it coming up, nor do I randomly go around shouting out that I'm an anime fan. Sure, I have a couple of shirts I wear occationally but most of the time I'm either wearing something over the top or I'm in my room. People I know know that I watch it but they either don't care or do as well =\. I do know a few people who take it a little too far, mind you...
Dec 15, 2009 9:15 AM

Mar 2008
Well I don't shame I like watch Anime or read Manga. All my friend's know that i watch Anime and usually I read manga's public to kill some time. I don't need Anime related goods I think it's a waste of money.

Dec 15, 2009 9:23 AM

Sep 2007
LOL - I saw the title & thought of this:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Dec 15, 2009 9:50 AM

May 2009
I don't go around with anime related clothes or accessories. But that's just because I don't feel like buying that stuff. I probably wouldn't have any problems walking around in an t-shirt or the likes. I do have a Lucky Star wallpaper on my cellphone though, but that's about it.. xD

My family and all my friends know that I love anime and manga though. I don't hide it.
Dec 15, 2009 3:03 PM

Dec 2009
My family doesn't know I watch anime xD
My best friends do know it but they don't like it and they get annoyed when I talk about it so I don't. I do have 2 friends who do watch anime but I don't see them that often.

I've had a really hard time getting the little bit of respect I have now at school, people are actually treating me like a human now and I wanna keep it that way so I don't wear anything anime, manga or Japan related to school. I do wear diffrent clothes then people at school but never anime realted.

I also used to draw at school, my main drawing style used to be manga style, but every time a guy saw my doodle they started shouting "Hentai!" (they were just some doodles of always properly dressed girls) For some reason they automatically associated manga styled drawing to hentai.
Dec 15, 2009 3:25 PM

Jul 2008
Sqinny said:
For some reason they automatically associated manga styled drawing to hentai.

Welcome to reality, where a lot of moron stand.
Dec 15, 2009 7:40 PM

Feb 2008
I don't go out of my way to scream that I watch anime. But it come up fairly often for me. The grand majority of my friends all watch anime. I gave a speech at my college in one my speech class about the process of how a fansub is watched. My messenger bag has some patches and pins on it, but it started out as a generic run-of-the-mill bag. If you saw me at work, or at a club, you would have no idea that I watched it. I have cosplayed a number of times though......so I could really care less what the majority of people think of me.....it takes some thick skin to cosplay sometimes.
Dec 17, 2009 4:05 PM
May 2009
I am open about it, don't hide it at all... but in a decent way, I don't go all "CREEPY-OTAKU" mode, making little girls call me Onii-sama or goshujin-sama and such.

I have a little Konata figurine hanging from my laptop protecting case and have one t-shirt which says "Nyoro~n" on it, I don't think there's anything else that could show I watch anime. But if anyone asks me if I do, whoever it is, I'll honestly say "Yes, I do, quite a lot actually"
DangokeDec 17, 2009 4:58 PM
Dec 17, 2009 4:36 PM

Dec 2009
I don't hide it, I have no reason to. The people in my town aren't the greatest, I don't have much in common with most of them. I don't care what they think of me, which gives me the freedom to do what ever I want. I'm with my girlfriend every day, and she loves anime, so we talk about it a lot and watch it together.
I don't wear anime clothing because I don't have any. If I found an anime shirt that I thought looked nice, I would buy it. I don't run around yelling phrases though, that's just obnoxious...

I wasn't expecting so many people to hide their anime fandom, this is a bit of a shock... :P
mangoleafDec 17, 2009 4:40 PM
Dec 17, 2009 4:44 PM

Jun 2008
I never understood the logic behind questions like this. It's like people who watch anime are Aliens and green and they have to put a special skin color cream when they go outside.

Off course i don't hide the fact that i like anime but that doesn't mean am gonna dress up like an anime convection poster boy when i go outside of my house. I like lots of things. I like F1 and horror films also. Does that mean am gonna go around with a helmet and a knife?
If i had to have something relevant to all the things i like on me every time i live the house, i'll be a fucking Halloween festival all by my own.
Also it's pointless to throw anime references to other people when they don't watch any because obviously they will have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Anime fans are just like every other fan. This whole social suicide thing can only happen if you don't behave like a fan but like a crazy sic person and it goes for everything not just anime. Just thing about it. Is it social suicide if you like chess? No. But it would be if you dress with clothes about chess talk about it all the time, go around while playing chess in your pocket PC and throw lame chess jokes that no one understands. Generally behaving like a dork.
Off course that doesn't mean you can't wear a T-shirt every once in a while that might have an anime character on it. But it would be ridiculous if you had a whole collection of them and where nothing else.

Anime is just a hobby like so many other things we like doing. I may be an anime fan but am certainly not only that. Above all am me, a person with many interest opinions and things to do along with anime and i see no reason to try avoiding that i like anime because there isn't any.No one that i know asked me if i like anime(well most people don't even know what it is) because there is no reason for it, it's not like i have a poster over my head. And even if they asked i'll just say "Yeah sure i watch them" and that's all. What exactly am i suppose to do? Run home and get all my DVDs to throw them in frond of them?
MonadDec 17, 2009 4:51 PM
Dec 17, 2009 5:26 PM

Oct 2009
kenshin322 said:
nah.
I don't hide the fact I love to watch basketball and football, why should I hide the fact I enjoy anime as well?

Same for me. I love to play sports and do any other activity to pass the time.. Anime/Manga is entertainment to me. What's wrong with be open about it? It's not embaressing.. I wouldn't be loud or arrogant about it though, and only my friends who share the same interest as I do know.

However, I have to hide the fact that I do watch anime/read manga from my parents, otherwise they would think that all I do on my laptop is nothing school-related. Which is true, but they can't know that ;P

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Dec 17, 2009 5:52 PM

Nov 2009
i would hide everything from my power except one thing...
my randomness(^_^)

thoughts on randomness and abstract has been my habitual satire it became my personality...

Dec 17, 2009 7:10 PM

Apr 2009
I don't actively hide it, but it's not as if there's anything to hide to begin with. I'm not the kind of guy who owns Shana t-shirts, a closet full of DVDs, jacks off to hentai, has an annoying tendency to end his phrases with "desu".

But if I did, I don't think I'd hide it either. I certainly don't hide my "computer geek" tendencies, I publicly ask whether a piece of hardware has Linux support before buying it, and I enjoy sharing our experiences whenever the salesman happens to be a Linux (or BSD) user as well.

Bleh, if I cared about what the rabble thought of me, I'd be a whole different person by now. Namely, a bloody moron.
No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.
Dec 18, 2009 1:19 AM
Dec 2009
I've tried to get the message out that I like anime but not many notice. They just always assume that I'm a "ghetto" person (some thought that I was in a gang...) whose into hiphop and rap and I don't! I love American rock and Japanese rock/pop music. Even as a kid I had posters on the wall and a bookshelf of manga, my family would still get me non-otaku stuff ignoring my signs. It was as if they all wanted me to be "normal" but I'm sure that was just me being paranoid back then.
Dec 18, 2009 1:23 AM

Jul 2009
Actually, even though people in my school think I'm a weird ass for it, I don't give a flying rat's ass about what they think. If I wanna wear my t-shirt that has a picture of Haruhi in a bunny suit on it, then I'll do it. (Just not in school 'cause, that's against dress code.)
BlegalegDec 18, 2009 2:17 AM

Dec 18, 2009 6:07 AM

Jun 2008
Not really. I don't walk around with naruto headbands or anime t-shirts (like some people I've seen constantly do), or have stacks of manga on my desk, or printed out death note pictures on my binder, but I don't hide it. Almost all my friends know I love anime (or what they understand anime is) and if something is brought up that reminded me of an anime I'll mention it or something and eventually they know. :)

oh but if I had money to buy a blouse or two of a nice not so blunt ugly anime shirt, I'd definitely wear it.
Dec 18, 2009 8:57 AM

Jun 2008
Kittenia said:
Not really. I don't walk around with naruto headbands or anime t-shirts (like some people I've seen constantly do)

And who are they. 12 year olds?
Dec 18, 2009 10:29 AM

Jul 2008
well I hav a pin that has Alucard's picture on my bag but other than that don't really hav any anime related things on me..well I used to hav a tsubasa bag that I always carried with me but not lately tho..it's too orange :/ But I don't really try to hide it or anythin. I just dress the way I want and that's it. If I ever see sum cute anime shirt then sure I'll wear it..But I don't really think ppl recognize me as an otaku. I look pretty "normal" I guess.
But if they'd come to my room that would be totally different story then >.>

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Dec 18, 2009 10:54 AM

Oct 2009
Monad said:
Kittenia said:
Not really. I don't walk around with naruto headbands or anime t-shirts (like some people I've seen constantly do)

And who are they. 12 year olds?

Yeah, sounds to me like young teens..

Personally, I don't wear any clothing with anime/anime implications on it mostly because I don't find them where I shop. If someone gave me an anime shirt that looked pretty cool and said something like "(Insert anime) is (insert adjective)" or something, then I would wear it.. I don't know about going out in public in a cosplay outfit or something. I don't cosplay though, so I wouldn't xD

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Dec 18, 2009 10:57 AM

Nov 2008
I don't own anything related to anime (clothing, toys, etc.) and I don't advertise that I like to watch anime, but I do discuss and talk about anime/manga with a few of my friends.
Dec 18, 2009 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
No-one knows I watch it... Not even my parents.

My best friend has an feeling I "do something Japanese" as I unintentionally drop hints here and there, but as I don't know anyone in the local area who watches anime, I keep it to myself.

I wouldn't mind an anime keyring though. I like the idea, and it doesn't raise too many eyebrows...
Dec 18, 2009 11:21 AM

Sep 2009
I don't broadcast it, but it's not like I'm hiding it either. I don't really have any anime-related clothing or accessories. If I did, sure, I suppose I wouldn't have a problem wearing them in public.

Don't really talk about it outside my circle of friends, either. Anime is rather unpopular or unknown around here. The few fans that do live around here are fanatics... I steer clear of them.
Dec 18, 2009 11:35 AM

Jul 2008
I have a totoro shirt that gets pretty positive responses... and a Fanime 2003 shirt I almost never wear anymore. I also have an Inu-Yasha (Sango) bag that I use sometimes, though I'm tempted to cover the Sango bit with something else, and sometimes carry it plain side out. People don't seem to notice that much. Except this one guy who turned out to be into anime and a bit of a creep, and some of my friends. Oh, and I have a Kamui (X/1999) keyring... it's attached to my thumb drive. Most people don't see it. All of my other anime stuff stays at home.

As for talking about it... there are some people who know, and others who don't. It depends why I know them, and nowadays my interests are wide enough that I can talk about something else instead. When I was thirteen or fourteen, that was not the case - I could talk about Sci-fi novels, Lord of the Rings, or anime. It's more likely that someone will know I'm a nerd generally than that I'm an anime fan.
Dec 18, 2009 2:24 PM

Sep 2009
it all depends on if im alone or with people if im with people i dont know i dont say much about anime but when im with people i know and also know the anime its over from there
people who dont know the anime would be confused and the awkwardness would be overwhelming
Dec 18, 2009 2:27 PM
Nov 2008
It's not something that I advertise or tell everybody about, but pretty much all my close friends know. Usually when I talk about it with a friend of mine, we refer to it as "thursdays club", as thursday is the day the new Naruto episode comes out, and we usually watch it together :p A few people know what we mean, but most people are all like "What is that thursday club anyway? -.-", which is kind of fun ^^

If people find out about it, it's not that big of a deal to me. It's just a little nerdy hobby of mine, not a lifestyle. People who reject their interests are really just rejecting a part of themselves.
Dec 18, 2009 2:43 PM

Nov 2008
I said this six months ago on a similar thread and still feel the same way...

"Yes, for years now. That kind of hobby should be kept to yourself, along with playing video games. When I think of anime fans, some of what comes to mind are childish Wapanese who pretend everything else comes short, and I'd hate to have people pass the same prejudice on me."

I would tell someone if they asked, but even then my answer would be somewhat restrained. I actually don't like talking about myself at all, at least not in public.

Dec 18, 2009 3:03 PM

Dec 2009
About wearing anime related clothes or any related items, I have not yet and have no plans to. As for just talking about anime in public, all the time, believe me, alot more people casually watch anime than you would initially think, especially in college. When it comes to using anime related phrases, very rarely and only to people I personally know who have seen over a couple of animes.
Dec 18, 2009 3:47 PM

Sep 2008
I don't have a power level to hide~
Dec 18, 2009 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
I do and yet I don't

-I don't tell them straight out that I like it, If they ask I'll tell.
-I haven't once in my life ever worn any clothing that was Anime related in my life as well...
-Shouting out phrases/references? I'd skip on that part, that would be entirely embarrassing to do out in public.
Dec 20, 2009 12:51 AM

Nov 2009
as much as possible, i dont want them to know that im an otaku. i barely show my "inner self" even with my close friends. lol i really sound like a loser hahaha
Sorry, Image unavailable. Only awesome people can see it.
Dec 20, 2009 1:12 AM

Dec 2009
I'm a huge nerd-tacular fan, but it's almost impossible for me to 100% fanboy out or nerd out in some all-encompassing way. I'm normally well-composed in public, unless I'm openly being an ass to show off or entertain.

Don't believe that I'm a nerd? I put 24 hours into the new Professor Layton and solved all 153 puzzles.

My idea of a good time is cosplaying as the Pokemon Red Trainer and singing the theme song at a karaoke.

I describe anyone who's had their chance to shine on the stage as a "beck-moment."

I never nerd-rage though.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 20, 2009 2:26 AM

Feb 2008
Anime doesn't dominate my life, so it's not like I have much to hide. I watch it from time to time. I know it's not a great source of entertainment, but it's a decent time waster. So what? It's not like I'm going to go outside wearing anime t-shirts with anime keychains and speak about anime to everybody, but I wouldn't be ashamed to have a few posters or figures at home of a character I like. I mean, if somebody is going to criticize me for that with the whole nerdy virgin shit, then they're not the type of people I wish to speak with anyways.

I wouldn't go to a convention or an anime event in public though, just because most anime fans are just as loathsome as the brainless pussy-chasers.

Also:
I actually don't like talking about myself at all, at least not in public.

this applies to me quite a bit, so my hobbies rarely come up to begin with.
VeroninDec 20, 2009 2:31 AM
Dec 20, 2009 3:09 AM

Sep 2009
Veronin said:
Anime doesn't dominate my life, so it's not like I have much to hide. I watch it from time to time. I know it's not a great source of entertainment, but it's a decent time waster.

This. I wouldn't consider myself an otaku or anything but I do watch it casually when I'm bored and don't have my usual movies or TV shows to watch/have nothing to do. That said, I wouldn't really have a problem going to a convention or something just to see all the really crazy fans. My friends probably wouldn't bat an eyelash if I did, because that's the kind of stuff I would do when I'm bored.

I would never wear an anime shirt though. Or any kind of fandom shirt, really...
Dec 20, 2009 3:23 AM

Oct 2009
Nope :) And watching anime isn't a very frequent hobby of mine. I enjoy it but I'm not addicted to it.

Dec 21, 2009 12:31 AM

Sep 2009
If anyone ever talks to me about mechs, then hell no. Otherwise, probably yes, because I don't bring the subject up.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

54 by TsutanaiFuun »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 1 hour ago

15 by Sorachin »»
4 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 8 hours ago

14 by Yuri-Crusader »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 25 minutes ago

7 by NubFix »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 3 hours ago

10 by Sorachin »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.