Oct 2013
I am in the process of deleting all of my posts

blaboJan 21, 2017 12:46 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 10, 2015 12:36 PM

May 2015
I don't think that stories tend to break their own rules. If they don't have any solid rules, it's pretty obvious from the start. You can see Digimon Adventure has no battle system whatsoever from the beginning.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 10, 2015 12:40 PM

Nov 2010
So plot holes? Click anime & manga to get a list of them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole
Aug 10, 2015 12:56 PM
Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:

Not plot holes per say. I mean yeah when you break rules your bound to have plot holes but I mean when an anime defies what a character is supposed to be or what a story is supposed to be in favor of being or looking impressive.
Aug 10, 2015 1:01 PM

Mar 2015
blabo said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Not plot holes per say. I mean yeah when you break rules your bound to have plot holes but I mean when an anime defies what a character is supposed to be or what a story is supposed to be in favor of being or looking impressive.
example plz?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 10, 2015 1:11 PM

Sep 2013
naruto, so much for hard work
Aug 10, 2015 1:13 PM

Jul 2015
One Piece , Code Geass , Bleach and Naruto
Aug 10, 2015 1:16 PM
Oct 2013
Umm...Hmm. I don't wanna use an actual anime because it'll just get stuff started lol.

Well let's say there is an action anime where the characters have powers. They can lift cars. Let's say that the show revolves around that level of strength. Then all of the sudden, everyone in the series can lift skyscrapers.

The writer never intended for them to be able to do those kinds of things so it feels out of place. To avoid that happening for no reason, they do some lazy writing to give some bull explanation as to why they can do that now.

Or let's say there is a romance anime about a guy and a girl. The story was written so that the guy is loyal throughout the series, but then at some point, He cheats on the girl with another girl just to add drama. It would be different if that trait was built into the writing but it wasn't.

In other words, creators putting things in an anime just for dramatic effect even though it is clearly out of place due to it not being incorporated into the writing. However fans will still say it's the best thing ever.

Lol, did I just make this more confusing than it has to be?
Aug 10, 2015 1:24 PM

Jan 2011
In hindsight, there are very little animes that break their own rules (as in plot holes, contradicting themselves).

But if you think about it, introducing new elements is similar to breaking rules, but to a lesser extent. A majority of animes do this but at different degrees.

That's why we have foreshadowing but that doesn't entirely reduce the issue, but it's certainly worse when things come out of nowhere.

The rule of thumb is: whatever premises are given at the beginning of the story, whether it be facts, goals, etc those are the "rules", the story should stick with them or only develop them incrementally.
Aug 10, 2015 1:29 PM

Sep 2013
saddy34 said:

Typical, not like I'd expect a 95%er to comprehend anything thou.
Aug 10, 2015 1:37 PM

Jul 2015
ichii_1 said:
saddy34 said:

TvTropes said:

-When Grimmjow's fraccions are killed off, Aizen states their deaths don't bother him because they were just Arrancar that had transformed from gillians. However, it's later confirmed by two separate sources (Grimmjow's flashback and Uryuu's assessment of Grimmjow's group) that the fraccions transformed from both gillians and adjuchas. In fact, there was only one gillian Arrancar in the group. Hollow evolution does mean that an adjuchas evolves from a gillian, but Aizen's comment related to the Arrancar transformation, not Hollow evolution.

-While in prison, Rukia comments that she's been a member of the Kuchiki family for 40 years. A flashback to Renji being made vice-captain also discusses Rukia being a member of the Kuchiki family for 40 years. Then Byakuya reveals why Rukia was adopted: his wife died 50 years ago, leaving him a request to find and adopt her sister as his own. A year after her death, he finds and immediately adopts Rukia. But an immediate adoption a year after Hisana's death would put the adoption at 49 years ago rather than 40 years ago.

-During the Zanpakuto Rebellion Arc it is clearly stated that the destruction of a zanpakuto spirit by anyone except its master will permanently destroy the zanpakuto itself. Late in the arc the brainwashing is reversed and the spirits reunite with their masters, but so are at least two zanpakutos that were supposedly destroyed permanently. This is completely ignored. It's not even given a handwaved explanation.

and ofc all the bullshit Kubo pulls out of his ass every week
Aug 10, 2015 1:51 PM
Apr 2014
^loltvtropes
Aug 10, 2015 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
Anime that Mikasa likes.
Aug 10, 2015 3:39 PM

Nov 2011
Gholy said:
^loltvtropes

Is TVTropes somehow inherently bad?

OT: There's a big difference between implied rules and explicit rules. Breaking explicit rules is generally a no-no. I would need context when it comes to implied rules.
Aug 10, 2015 3:54 PM

Sep 2013
saddy34 said:
ichii_1 said:

TvTropes said:

-When Grimmjow's fraccions are killed off, Aizen states their deaths don't bother him because they were just Arrancar that had transformed from gillians. However, it's later confirmed by two separate sources (Grimmjow's flashback and Uryuu's assessment of Grimmjow's group) that the fraccions transformed from both gillians and adjuchas. In fact, there was only one gillian Arrancar in the group. Hollow evolution does mean that an adjuchas evolves from a gillian, but Aizen's comment related to the Arrancar transformation, not Hollow evolution.

-While in prison, Rukia comments that she's been a member of the Kuchiki family for 40 years. A flashback to Renji being made vice-captain also discusses Rukia being a member of the Kuchiki family for 40 years. Then Byakuya reveals why Rukia was adopted: his wife died 50 years ago, leaving him a request to find and adopt her sister as his own. A year after her death, he finds and immediately adopts Rukia. But an immediate adoption a year after Hisana's death would put the adoption at 49 years ago rather than 40 years ago.

-During the Zanpakuto Rebellion Arc it is clearly stated that the destruction of a zanpakuto spirit by anyone except its master will permanently destroy the zanpakuto itself. Late in the arc the brainwashing is reversed and the spirits reunite with their masters, but so are at least two zanpakutos that were supposedly destroyed permanently. This is completely ignored. It's not even given a handwaved explanation.

and ofc all the bullshit Kubo pulls out of his ass every week

-She said 40 years as a general time, 49 years is till in that time.

-Generalizing again cause aizen doesn't give a sht about them and they did have a gillian with them.

-It was because of Muramasa's ability, as long as he's alive they won't return if beaten by another user (they didn't know about the alive part).

NO PLOTHOLES

GG
Aug 10, 2015 3:55 PM

Feb 2015
Madoka rewrote the witch system with her wish so there's that.
Aug 10, 2015 4:08 PM

Jul 2011
Gholy said:
^loltvtropes

And the problem with that it's?

OT: Naruto.
Aug 10, 2015 4:08 PM

Jan 2009
ichii_1 said:

-Generalizing again cause aizen doesn't give a sht about them and they did have a gillian with them.

-It was because of Muramasa's ability, as long as he's alive they won't return if beaten by another user (they didn't know about the alive part).

NO PLOTHOLES

GG

Oh Bleach has no plot holes?
Remember how Kenpachi clearly stated that when 2 beings with reiatsu clash the weaker one gets hurt? Heck it clearly showed Ichigo getting hurt after trying to cut Kenpachi.
Why was that the only time this happened?
Why didn't Ichigo explode when Aizen stopped his bankai with one finger etc.
How did he OHKO Sasakibe with his bare-hands, when the guy was powerful enough to hurt Yamamoto?
Why can shinigami walk through walls yet they crash into buildings and objects?
Why could Chad hurt a hollow with a telephone pole?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 10, 2015 4:30 PM

Oct 2013
yu-gi-oh had a bad habit of completely disregarding game rules or card details, to the point where new cards were invented on the fly for plot purposes.

Aug 10, 2015 4:32 PM

Apr 2015
Sword Art Online. Kirito manages to survive and keep fighting well after his health bar has clearly gone all the way down and he should be dead. Never explained how he does that, he just kinda does.
Aug 10, 2015 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
TripleSRank said:
Gholy said:
^loltvtropes

Its not a very good resource for a number of reasons but primarily because its both inconsistent and it tries to codify tropes that aren't really tropes in the first place. Plus the whole deconstruction bullshit which can bite me.
Aug 10, 2015 4:34 PM

Nov 2014
Unlimited Blade Works when Archer used his Reality Marble for a second time when he only had 10% of his magic left.
He also projected weapons, and used over edge inside of it.

Miura Takahiro = Rule Breaker.
Aug 10, 2015 4:35 PM

Oct 2012
Irrelative said:
Unlimited Blade Works when Archer used his Reality Marble for a second time when he only had 10% of his magic left.

Its not like there aren't asspulls in the VN :|
Aug 10, 2015 4:39 PM

Nov 2014
Feaor said:
Irrelative said:

Its not like there aren't asspulls in the VN :|

The Anime actually answered the question of how Archer survived Gilgamesh's sword spam.
Aug 10, 2015 5:12 PM

May 2012
TripleSRank said:
Gholy said:
^loltvtropes

TVTropes both remains inconsistent and lacks credibility to be a proper source. It's like trying to term paper using wikipedia as a source, no professor would accept it and would rather you researched more credible sources.
Tvtropes is good for a general knowledge, but if you actually want to understand the things being discussed, you'd be better off finding an encyclopedia or dictionary.
Aug 10, 2015 5:16 PM

Mar 2015
did eren being titan count?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 10, 2015 5:17 PM

May 2012
Irrelative said:

I don't remember it being stated in the anime that he had 10% of his magic left. He just said it was running low. I also don't remember there being any mention in the source of how much Mana casting the reality marble takes.
Aug 10, 2015 5:20 PM

Jun 2015
ichii_1 said:

Perfect example
Read Toriko!
Aug 10, 2015 5:23 PM
Oct 2013
Unyilkdr said:

Hmm. That's a toughie. I kinda thought about this too. "Is this fanservice just an excuse to get some shounen action brawling going on?"

Well, even though I liked AOT/SNK I personally think it would have been a lot better if he couldn't transform because now there's nothing to fear as much like before. AOT/SNK was about showing humanity's weakness of fear and helplessness but that quickly gets overshadowed by Eren kickin some Titan bootay.

Well we can only wait and see for the 2nd season if him becoming a Titan is justifiable.
Aug 10, 2015 5:42 PM

May 2012
Unyilkdr said:
That's a tough one, especially since it is all during the setup phase of the story. Plus there were no set rules as to what the titans even were, when he first transformed the titans were a mystery. So it's hard to say it broke it's rules, its more like it was barely establishing the rules.
Aug 10, 2015 5:48 PM

Jan 2014
phantom346 said:
ichii_1 said:

Perfect example
well it's not like naruto just stood there and became powerful >_>

Aug 10, 2015 5:53 PM
Nov 2009
TripleSRank said:
Gholy said:
^loltvtropes

No, it's the best site ever. Don't listen to these punks who tell you otherwise.
Aug 10, 2015 6:12 PM

Jan 2014
Tvtropes da anime.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 10, 2015 6:14 PM

Apr 2014
SAO, nuff said.
Aug 10, 2015 6:16 PM

Jul 2015
Does FLCL break their own rules?
Wait, do they even have rules?
6 upside down it's a 9 now.

Aug 10, 2015 6:23 PM
Mar 2014
_Peksi said:
ichii_1 said:

NO PLOTHOLES

GG

Oh Bleach has no plot holes?
Remember how Kenpachi clearly stated that when 2 beings with reiatsu clash the weaker one gets hurt? Heck it clearly showed Ichigo getting hurt after trying to cut Kenpachi.
Why was that the only time this happened?
Why didn't Ichigo explode when Aizen stopped his bankai with one finger etc. - He did get wounded, so maybe you're using a bad example? I don't remember enough about early Bleach for this
How did he OHKO Sasakibe with his bare-hands, when the guy was powerful enough to hurt Yamamoto? idk who that is tbh
Why can shinigami walk through walls yet they crash into buildings and objects? i dont remember
Why could Chad hurt a hollow with a telephone pole? Hollows could always interact with physical shit, there's a reason they destroyed buildings when they ran into 'em. Hurting them with a telephone pole makes perfect sense given Chad's physical prowess.

answers for some of them in da quotes but ya i dont remember errythin
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Aug 10, 2015 6:29 PM

Apr 2013
i swear this saddy guy is getting paid to promote tvtropes
Aug 10, 2015 7:48 PM
Oct 2013
Anonymous said:
i swear this saddy guy is getting paid to promote tvtropes

I consider TVtropes reminds me of how Super Smash Bros is now. It started out legit but then people just started adding whoever they wanted and now anyone and anything can be in Smash Bros without having any exclusivity.

Now anything can be a TVtrope. I wonder if I can add a person tying their shoes to TVtrope since I saw them do it on tv.
Aug 10, 2015 7:54 PM

May 2015
Breaking the 4th wall?
Aug 10, 2015 9:46 PM

Sep 2013
_Peksi said:
ichii_1 said:

NO PLOTHOLES

GG

Oh Bleach has no plot holes? No.
Why was that the only time this happened?Because Ichigo was inexperienced, he grasped the sword so hard he bled when he didn't dent kenpach, experienced fighters won't clash like that, Ichigo was also lacking his resolve at that moment.
Why didn't Ichigo explode when Aizen stopped his bankai with one finger etc.Aizen has more control then the Ichigo that fought kenpachi, so there was no injuries to Ichigo.
How did he OHKO Sasakibe with his bare-hands, when the guy was powerful enough to hurt Yamamoto? He was caught off guard by Ichigo's power, he's old and is not as powerful as then.
Why can shinigami walk through walls yet they crash into buildings and objects?They have to concentrate and it's hard to do that while crashing, also counts for the chad telephone
Why could Chad hurt a hollow with a telephone pole?He had high spiritual power for a human back then, plus he's a fullbringer.
Everything has souls.

GG again
Aug 10, 2015 9:48 PM

Jan 2015
Gintama.Nuff said
Rance X is A GOAT.
Aug 10, 2015 10:06 PM
Oct 2013
ichii_1 said:

This is a prime example of fans filling in the gaps that their anime's creators leave in an anime. Some do it for fun knowing that the creator screwed up, where as others take it seriously theorizing, coming up with answers to figure out why something did or didn't happen. No offense to this guy.

Not only does Bleach have plot holes but it breaks its own rules (I consider those different). Please beware that I did enjoy Bleach. However since this thread is not about Bleach specifically I will not go back and forth.

So Ichii 1 may I ask you to think back throughout the show. Try and remember something that the creator might have forgotten or left out (Plot Hole). Also think of a rule that they may have changed from the older season.

I'm not trying to insult Bleach, but I am challenging you to think critically about the anime you like. There are flaws that I also have to point out in anime that I love.
blaboAug 10, 2015 10:10 PM
Aug 10, 2015 10:27 PM

Feb 2014
I'm fine with a show breaking its own rules as long as it's not done for convenience, but instead as parody or if breaking and making up your own rules as you go along is part of the story. Like in Gurren Lagann or a lot of Gainax/Trigger stuff that is not NGE.
Aug 10, 2015 10:55 PM

Sep 2013
blabo said:
ichii_1 said:

This is a prime example of fans filling in the gaps that their anime's creators leave in an anime. Some do it for fun knowing that the creator screwed up, where as others take it seriously theorizing, coming up with answers to figure out why something did or didn't happen. No offense to this guy.

Not only does Bleach have plot holes but it breaks its own rules (I consider those different). Please beware that I did enjoy Bleach. However since this thread is not about Bleach specifically I will not go back and forth.

So Ichii 1 may I ask you to think back throughout the show. Try and remember something that the creator might have forgotten or left out (Plot Hole). Also think of a rule that they may have changed from the older season.

I'm not trying to insult Bleach, but I am challenging you to think critically about the anime you like. There are flaws that I also have to point out in anime that I love.

There is nothing, the spiritual power system is clear cut and everything can be explained.
Even classic literature remains vague and let's the readers fill it in.

Do I need to explain Orihime's "kurosaki kun" during ulquiorra's fight too?
Aug 10, 2015 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
Akame ga Kill's anime original ending completely shot itself in the foot (full series spoilers):

Aug 10, 2015 11:05 PM
Oct 2013
ichii_1 said:

There is nothing, the spiritual power system is clear cut and everything can be explained.
Even classic literature remains vague and let's the readers fill it in.

Do I need to explain Orihime's "kurosaki kun" during ulquiorra's fight too?

True about the Classic Literature but the thing is, Shounen is not Classic Literature. It's quite the opposite in fact. Sure it can have vague moments but all in all it's not a genre that is supposed to be vague or confusing. It's about action.

Shounen shows like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ etc. are all shows where they have characters that always explain what's going on and why something happened. In fact, that's a shounen Trope. A rule if you will. The rule is that every action is explained so the audience can follow along, any action that is not explained in some way just happened because it "Looked Cool". Which isn't always a bad thing mind you.
Aug 10, 2015 11:15 PM

May 2012
blabo said:

True about the Classic Literature but the thing is, Shounen is not Classic Literature. It's quite the opposite in fact. Sure it can have vague moments but all in all it's not a genre that is supposed to be vague or confusing. It's about action.

It's an art form, it doesn't matter if it is classic literature, anime, film, play writing, or stone writing on top of the Himalayas. There is no rule or law that states that the show has to spoon feed you explanations. All art is open to interpretation, which is why all art is subjective.
Aug 10, 2015 11:24 PM
Oct 2013
KamiCity said:
It's an art form, it doesn't matter if it is classic literature, anime, film, play writing, or stone writing on top of the Himalayas. There is no rule or law that states that the show has to spoon feed you explanations. All art is open to interpretation, which is why all art is subjective.

I'd say Shounen is more entertainment than art. In terms of art you're right about there not being an official book of rules for it. Still everything has a classification in order to define what it is. What if you wanted to go to a movie to see a comedy but turns out it was a drama? You may have still enjoyed it but there's no way you can call a drama a comedy.

These rules that I speak of may not be official but they are still things everyone goes by in order to know what something is. There are always acceptions to rules of course but most Shounen has the trait of explaining things in it. I suppose I should call those traits instead of rules.
Aug 10, 2015 11:25 PM

Sep 2013
blabo said:

Shounen shows like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ etc. are all shows where they have characters that always explain what's going on and why something happened. In fact, that's a shounen Trope. A rule if you will. The rule is that every action is explained so the audience can follow along, any action that is not explained in some way just happened because it "Looked Cool". Which isn't always a bad thing mind you.

The action itself tells a story, especially in bleach.
They have to in most cases because figuring out abilities and strange supernatural occurrences is near impossible and that doesn't take away value whatsoever.
Some series might not have a deeper meaning but bleach does, don't compare Kubo with a hack writer.
Aug 10, 2015 11:27 PM

Jan 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
SAO, nuff said.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

16 by kagamiiin »»
58 seconds ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 14 minutes ago

6 by Archean-Return »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

190 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» What exactly makes someone an elitist?

AV-25-MU - 4 hours ago

19 by ScarRufus »»
4 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

88 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.