Forum Settings
Forums

Reaction of Attack on Titan's filmmakers to the heavy criticism the film has received.

New
Aug 10, 2015 4:07 AM

Jun 2014
You people probably know by now that the movie has received massive criticism, both from Japanese and non Japanese reviewers. Well, the filmmalkers apparently weren't indifferent to this since he actually energetically reacted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/attack-on-titan/bad-reviews-critics-reaction/

I'm a but disappointed by his comeback since it just comes off as a rant, but I do agree that people comparing this movie to Hollywood high budget blockbusters are a bit silly, the complain about poor characterization makes more sense than about the quality of the effects.

Are you going to watch this movie? It has received so much criticism lately that I'm not sure anymore but I've watched some trailers and I have to say, the action is pretty good for a low budget movie.
Aug 10, 2015 4:12 AM

Nov 2011
I want to see how dissapointing it is, though how can I be dissapoint if I expect nothing?

Aug 10, 2015 4:17 AM

Jan 2009
i will still watch it, and i bet i will enjoy it, of course they cannot make a perfect copy of the original story so characters behaviors and roles will change to fit the limited time the movie has
Aug 10, 2015 12:37 PM

Aug 2011
When it becomes available online, of course I will watch it, no matter what anyone says. You can't adapt everything 100% anyway so I'm looking forward to seeing how they pulled it off.
死ねカス国に帰れ
Aug 10, 2015 1:34 PM

Sep 2013
The source material is entertaining, though it didn't exactly have the greatest writing either. Plus, this film's budget was much smaller than your standard Hollywood blockbuster. Japanese budgets are and have usually been like fractions of what major American studios get to work with.

So it had plenty going against it from the start. I don't imagine the sequel being much better, but hopefully Higuchi learns his lesson from this before he starts shooting Godzilla (2016) next month. Use CG sparingly and rely on traditional practical effects. Hideki Anno will be handling the writing, so I still have some faith in G16.
Aug 10, 2015 3:20 PM
May 2010
The problem I heard about was how dumb the characters were written. And I do have to admit that I'm guilty of what the filmmaker was accusing of, having a general idea of what to expect from a film before watching it. Anime adaptations, let's face it, are rarely good, so the slightest amount of scathing reviews would make me worry and stay away from paying money.

That said, to be fair to the creator, plenty of times, I've seen many movies that were met with scathing reviews, yet I found them to be quite enjoyable under the right perspective. So, it's perhaps best to just go into this kind of film with an open mind. I'll download it someday and see if it's as bad as people claimed.
Aug 10, 2015 3:39 PM

Mar 2014
I agree about the response coming off as a rant. The comparison is indeed kind of pointless, but isn't it a bit unprofessional to reply sarcastically to the reviews? I mean, many movies had had harsh to straight down negative reviews, but that's how things are, some people will appreciate your work and some will not.

Generally I don't tend to take into account reviews before watching a movie, but I wasn't planning on watching this in the first place.
Aug 10, 2015 7:28 PM
Aug 2015
I saw Eren and Mikasa kiss in the trailer.
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain
Aug 11, 2015 5:39 AM

Jun 2014
He 'apologised'

http://www.japancrush.com/2015/stories/attack-on-titan-directors-attack-on-film-critic-goes-viral.html

It doesn't really look like an apology to me tbh. First the rant and now the pseudo apology, this dude seriously lacks humility.
Aug 12, 2015 6:06 AM

Jan 2015
I'm fucking sick of seeing this cult of apology for speaking your mind. It makes people look weak and sissy. Probably why Trump has much support, he says what he thinks even when it's offensive and doesn't gaf. I want to see a director go berserk and threaten to beat up critics. Where are all the madmen of today? Bring back testicles.

It's probably shit, but everything that Hollywood interprets in this day and age is garbage so it can't be any worse. I will reserve my judgement til I see it, although given the graphic nature of the cartoon, I guess it will be stomach churning.
Aug 12, 2015 1:09 PM

Oct 2012
Akatsuki_Artist said:
I saw Eren and Mikasa kiss in the trailer.

my kiko x haruma ship is ready

Aug 22, 2015 7:24 AM

Mar 2014
"Aw shit m8, neither the fans nor the critics liked my movie and I hate getting criticized, how dare they not love my movie"
Agafin said:
He 'apologised'

http://www.japancrush.com/2015/stories/attack-on-titan-directors-attack-on-film-critic-goes-viral.html

It doesn't really look like an apology to me tbh. First the rant and now the pseudo apology, this dude seriously lacks humility.
"Aw shit m8, ppl are getting mad @ me, I had no idea this would happen, gotta apologize NAOW"

Lmao is this nigga 4 realz
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained

More topics from this board

» Top 20 songs.

scarydragon - 6 hours ago

1 by Zettaiken »»
1 hour ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

21 by Vargnatt »»
2 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3431 by BenjaminJunior »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7671 by SilentAssassin88 »»
8 hours ago

» godzilla minus one is one of the best sci-fi movie ever made!!11!!1

FruitPunchBaka - May 7

3 by TheMechaManiac »»
Yesterday, 1:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.