Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 4, 2015 10:41 AM

May 2014
The very notion of the exam is to differentiate between the intelligent and non-intelligent. "Us" vs "them". This mentality is drilled into our heads for 18 years of schooling. Hence are exams the source of all inequality in the world? Just because a piece of paper says you failed does it really mean you will fail at life and cause others to believe that?

Discuss.
lolatusenpaiAug 4, 2015 10:44 AM
Aug 4, 2015 10:44 AM

Jun 2015
lolatusenpai said:
Just because a piece of paper says you failed does it really mean you will fail at life and cause others to believe that?

No.

Exams are shit anyways I usually cheat on them.
Aug 4, 2015 10:48 AM

Sep 2014
yes.

they should test you on life skills, not information you'll never use again. (assuming you won't study that subject in college).
Aug 4, 2015 12:30 PM

Jul 2015
Root of all evil might be a bit of a stretch lol.

But they are bullshit, you can just memorise the information the night before and then forget it when you're done, EZ.
Aug 4, 2015 12:32 PM

Mar 2014
Half of the material we get tested on rarely reappear, unless you plan on going to college. If you fail a test it doesn't mean you're unintelligent or incompetent. It just simply means tests are a waste of fucking time.
Aug 4, 2015 12:34 PM

Aug 2013
The only reason we still have exams is an extreme lack of creativity on the part of legislators. Unfortunately though, it appears they'll still be used as a way of rating students performance long after we all have stopped taking them.

If someone fails one it doesn't mean it's all over, or anything close to that for that matter.
Aug 4, 2015 1:07 PM
Aug 4, 2015 1:31 PM

Jan 2013
Haha n edgy (n+2) me.
Aug 4, 2015 2:11 PM

Jan 2013
Whoever invented exam, knew Satan, if they weren't.
Aug 4, 2015 2:18 PM

Mar 2014
how else do you expect to establish your intelligence in a subject get over it
Aug 4, 2015 2:21 PM

Aug 2013
My school grades say im dumb, my college and university cred disagree.
School exams are pointless, you learn so much more through actual life and experiences. I figured out more about maths handling my own expenses than I ever did in school because it was relevant.
Aug 4, 2015 2:56 PM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
And_Ryan said:
I figured out more about maths handling my own expenses than I ever did in school because it was relevant.
Wow you must not have learned a lot in school then.

My school was more like prison. You spent the days not getting beaten over the head with chairs by groups. Some pupils burned down half the building one time. Teachers never show'd up most of the days. Eventually it became so poor at educating and a cesspool of crime and gang warfare they tore the place down.

Thanks to college, where real education got done. I had 6 A levels before entering university.
Aug 4, 2015 2:56 PM

Mar 2015
yuiyuigahama said:
Well said.
Aug 4, 2015 3:00 PM

Dec 2012
I never struggled in exams, in fact I kinda liked them. Most of the times I could pull through even without studying at all.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Aug 4, 2015 3:04 PM

Jun 2011
Damn OP u must suck at tests lol
Aug 4, 2015 3:13 PM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Wait, are you in the UK?
By "college", are you referring to Year 12 and 13?

Also, sorry to hear about your past school situation.

I mean college as in you move on from school to college and from college to a university. College is attended after school you leave school age 16-18. Whilst American's stay at school till 18? we here leave at 16 and usually go to college for 2-3 years to study a relevant diploma before heading off to university. I took three courses at college before leaving for university.

And thanks, they were dark times....
Aug 4, 2015 5:59 PM

Jul 2012
Yes it's the root of all evil because it takes to much time studying for. I'd rather do other important shit like save lives or whatever.
Aug 4, 2015 6:06 PM

Jul 2015
Aug 4, 2015 6:08 PM

Aug 2013
AnimeFreak-San said:
yes.

they should test you on life skills, not information you'll never use again. (assuming you won't study that subject in college).
Aug 4, 2015 6:15 PM

Oct 2011
Infatuate said:
I never struggled in exams, in fact I kinda liked them. Most of the times I could pull through even without studying at all.

Bullshit.
Aug 4, 2015 6:22 PM

Dec 2012
Exams are needed though, it's like a "Is he a retard?" test.

Aug 4, 2015 6:26 PM

Nov 2008
When it comes to the tyranny in school districts, yes they are the cause of the shit that goes on in school districts. Most exams from Grade to HS (save for the SAT/ACT or the entrance and final exam if you also went to trade school during HS) are mostly useless and are only worth it for evaluation purposes.

Aug 5, 2015 2:22 AM
May 2009
Exams are fine. if they are applicable.

I feel its better to learn things that are practical.
To actually see than read some of the stuff we learn.
Especially things like Biology and Chemistry.
Seeing Magnesium burn, or potassium reacting violently to water leaves a lasting impression than reading about it.

I actually wish my D.T. courses were more practical and they weren't just repeating what others did years ago.
Aug 5, 2015 4:36 AM

May 2015
Huh? Where's the us vs. them?

Exams tend to be poor tests of intelligence. You're either regurgitating textbooks or solving mathematical puzzles. You don't do a lot of meaningful brainwork. That's why I know people who excelled at math and can't produce a logically coherent argument.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 5, 2015 4:38 AM

Jul 2014
Ye sure bruh w/e
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Aug 5, 2015 4:45 AM

Dec 2013
Not the world, developed countries mostly. I wish exams were the root of all evil, things would be much easier.
Aug 5, 2015 8:00 PM
Jul 2018
No, exam is the one of my way to prove my worth.
Aug 5, 2015 8:11 PM

Feb 2014
Exams are a way to asses your intelligence and whether or not you've learned the material being taught to you. When done well, I don't really see the issue. Some people put too much weigh on them and many exams could be structured better or based on better material, and there are probably way too many these days, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the concept.
Aug 6, 2015 2:58 AM

Sep 2014
Exams > Assignments
レムって、誰のこと?
Aug 6, 2015 3:04 AM
Dec 2012
You say "us vs them mentality" like it's a bad thing. I, for one, like anything that gives proof that I'm superior to others. You know, because it's true.
Join the "I like changing names in IRC" club! Especially if you like changing names in IRC! It's really neat!
Dare to be someone different, many, many times! Dare to dream!
Aug 6, 2015 3:17 AM

Apr 2013
Exams just mean that you're a good test-taker. Actually being able to apply the knowledge that you've learned in a practical and efficient manner (or the "real world") is where it counts.

You can be a good test-taker. I know plenty of those, but when it comes to applying it to a real-world situation, some of those good test-takers just freeze up and stare on through as if they haven't seen it before. Test-taking won't help you there. Test-taking just means you can read a study guide, commit the required concepts to memory, and apply them in a controlled environment. You're not really proving your skills, you're just proving that you were listening the whole time.

In my opinion, exams like the SAT and the ACT are complete bullshit. They're not really an aptitude measuring intelligence, because I know people can score 2400s and still lack the common sense to open a jar by themselves. Of course, I'm not one to talk since I scored only 1600 on mine (I really didn't give a shit), but I find it stupid that you can pay your way to a better score. Everyone's familiar with the College Board, right? They claim themselves a non-profit organization, but the #1 study guide for the SAT is the guide that they sell, not to mention all the various tutors that a rich preppy can hire to get that 2400 and all the attempts you can have just to boost your score (and remember, if you score lower on math in one attempt, it won't affect you!), plus the fee to take the exam in the first place. How is that an assessment of knowledge and intelligence? That's just big business taking over the educational system.

I think exams can weed out the good and the bad students, and that's a good thing about them. But at the same time, I don't think they can truly measure someone's intelligence, not the way most people perceive them.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Aug 6, 2015 5:52 AM

Apr 2014
They're only evil if you don't study and try to get well in them, so if you don't, you've got yourself to blame.
Aug 6, 2015 6:03 AM

May 2015
iSheep said:
Exams just mean that you're a good test-taker. Actually being able to apply the knowledge that you've learned in a practical and efficient manner (or the "real world") is where it counts.

You can be a good test-taker. I know plenty of those, but when it comes to applying it to a real-world situation, some of those good test-takers just freeze up and stare on through as if they haven't seen it before. Test-taking won't help you there. Test-taking just means you can read a study guide, commit the required concepts to memory, and apply them in a controlled environment. You're not really proving your skills, you're just proving that you were listening the whole time.

In my opinion, exams like the SAT and the ACT are complete bullshit. They're not really an aptitude measuring intelligence, because I know people can score 2400s and still lack the common sense to open a jar by themselves. Of course, I'm not one to talk since I scored only 1600 on mine (I really didn't give a shit), but I find it stupid that you can pay your way to a better score. Everyone's familiar with the College Board, right? They claim themselves a non-profit organization, but the #1 study guide for the SAT is the guide that they sell, not to mention all the various tutors that a rich preppy can hire to get that 2400 and all the attempts you can have just to boost your score (and remember, if you score lower on math in one attempt, it won't affect you!), plus the fee to take the exam in the first place. How is that an assessment of knowledge and intelligence? That's just big business taking over the educational system.

I think exams can weed out the good and the bad students, and that's a good thing about them. But at the same time, I don't think they can truly measure someone's intelligence, not the way most people perceive them.

Exams are actually terrible for the intelligent students who want to learn. Instead of giving them new information and teaching them how to explore, they just give them a series of facts to regurgitate.

Every subject is more interesting once you're out of school. That's because you're actually exploring it, thinking about it instead of just 'this is correct and that's all you need to know'.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 6, 2015 6:40 AM

Oct 2013
D- said:
yuiyuigahama said:
Well said.
You want some pepper with that salt, OP?

TheBrainintheJar said:
iSheep said:

Exams are actually terrible for the intelligent students who want to learn. Instead of giving them new information and teaching them how to explore, they just give them a series of facts to regurgitate.

Every subject is more interesting once you're out of school. That's because you're actually exploring it, thinking about it instead of just 'this is correct and that's all you need to know'.
Just a question: Do you have a degree in teaching?
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 24 minutes ago

2 by nishant0 »»
5 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 6 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals? ( 1 2 )

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

50 by Kamikaze_404 »»
1 hour ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

42 by Kamikaze_404 »»
2 hours ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

48 by Rhaelynne »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.