Dec 2011
Am I the only one who thinks this?
Jul 5, 2015 11:06 AM
Jun 2010
It's a trap!
Jul 5, 2015 5:21 PM

Feb 2015
It is serialized in a shounen magazine.

And the main focus of the story is fighting in the survival games with BB-guns, not the romance. Seems like a shounen to me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2015 6:18 PM
Jul 2018
SchwingBoner said:

And the main focus of the story is fighting in the survival games with BB-guns, not the romance. Seems like a shounen to me.

+1

What Boner San said was true, it's serialized in GFantasy. And GFantasy is a shounen mangazine.
Jul 6, 2015 2:55 PM
Dec 2011
SchwingBoner said:

It's already been shown even on animes that a magazine isn't bound to its main public, even more because if they want to sell more they will try to expand it. I don't see why girls wouldn't like to see "hot guys" playing survival games and it's pretty obvious this is a reverse harem.
Jul 6, 2015 4:19 PM

Dec 2013
After episode one I was pretty much convinced that this was a shoujo/comedy. The art style and the plot so far seems that way...but the first episode also went out of the way to introduce the BB guns so...maybe? Plus the OP was shounen-y. We'll just have to wait and see how it actually turns out.
Jul 6, 2015 6:59 PM

Jul 2014
It's a shonen because the manga is published in a shonen magazine, simple as that
Jul 6, 2015 7:02 PM

Aug 2012
the publisher's been' trapped! lol

But you'll still take damage!
Jul 9, 2015 3:05 AM
Mar 2010
It's not your typical shounen, yeah. But it's still published in a shounen magazine, so it's shounen. It's like Nozaki-kun, Durarara!! InuxBoku SS and the like. They're shounen but they appeal to girls as well. But that doesn't make shoujo.

It's a bit complicated.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 10, 2015 12:57 AM

Jan 2014
Hybrid.
Jul 10, 2015 11:27 AM
Sep 2013
At first I though it was a yaoi bait cuz I thought the MC was a guy. The premise kinda reminds me of that Ouran Host Club manga, even I've never actually read/watch that series. Unless this is just some ploy to make it feel yaoi without turning off too many of those who don't like yaoi. Real clever.

But yeah, it does definitely feel shoujo; I don't care what magazine it was published in, I'm talking about the characteristics of the genre. 50 bucks says the author is female.

phoenixalia said:
It's not your typical shounen, yeah. But it's still published in a shounen magazine, so it's shounen. It's like Nozaki-kun, Durarara!! InuxBoku SS and the like. They're shounen but they appeal to girls as well. But that doesn't make shoujo.

It's a bit complicated.

Nozaki-kun and InuxBoku SS definitely feels shoujo cuz they follow much of the shoujo formulas. Durarara!!; however, is a mix between shonen and seinen, which can be argued to be the same thing. The reason girls like it is probably cuz it has pretty boys and rivalry always leads to yaoi in their eyes.

A large fanbase in the unintended demographics doesn't really mean much. DBZ and many other popular "pure shonen" also has a huge female fanbase but they're still clearly shonen. Again, I'm only talking about the typical characteristics and formulas associated with the genre. I guess the action portion of this series could be considered characteristically shonen, something that is popular among both genders.
Jul 14, 2015 4:54 AM

Apr 2012
Friendship and fighting with lot of laugh and maybe a little bit of love later ... seems like a typical shounen anime to me.
Jul 17, 2015 1:21 PM

Jul 2012
Pretty shounen to me. The character designs are what made it appealing to girls.

JokerxHisoka said:
I don't see why girls wouldn't like to see "hot guys" playing survival games and it's pretty obvious this is a reverse harem.

Yeah, Hunter x Hunter is also a shoujo because a lot of girls like watching it and shipping the main pairing.

MrNTR said:
The reason girls like it is probably cuz it has pretty boys and rivalry always leads to yaoi in their eyes.

I'd like to add that males ship hate/love yuri couples as well and it's not exclusive to fujos.
Jul 17, 2015 7:17 PM
Jun 2010
There's a lot of shoujo anime listed as shounen on this site.
Jul 17, 2015 8:36 PM

Jun 2014
phoenixalia said:
It's not your typical shounen, yeah. But it's still published in a shounen magazine, so it's shounen. It's like Nozaki-kun, Durarara!! InuxBoku SS and the like. They're shounen but they appeal to girls as well.

QFT

ilok said:
There's a lot of shoujo anime disguised as shounen shounen that appealing for girls nowadays.

FTFY
Jul 18, 2015 7:10 AM

Oct 2008
The amount of bullshit and generalization this thread has is amazing, sasuga MAL.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jul 19, 2015 9:50 AM
Dec 2011
vikki7783 said:
It's a shonen because the manga is published in a shonen magazine, simple as that

JokerxHisoka said:

It's already been shown even on animes that a magazine isn't bound to its main public, even more because if they want to sell more they will try to expand it.

blessofcurse said:
phoenixalia said:
It's not your typical shounen, yeah. But it's still published in a shounen magazine, so it's shounen. It's like Nozaki-kun, Durarara!! InuxBoku SS and the like. They're shounen but they appeal to girls as well.

QFT

ilok said:
There's a lot of shoujo anime disguised as shounen shounen that appealing for girls nowadays.

FTFY

If it's appealing to girls then it's not shounen though -_-
Jul 19, 2015 10:34 AM

May 2009
Kuroshitsuji is also tagged as shounen. Well, we all know who it panders to.
Jul 19, 2015 3:14 PM

Jul 2013
It definetly doesen't feel like a shounen to me. Still enjoyable tho.
Jul 19, 2015 11:56 PM
Mar 2010
JokerxHisoka said:

Excuse me, what? So I guess by your definition Magi isn't shounen either since it has a large female otaku fanbase. Or Yowamushi Pedal, Barakamon and the like. Just because something appeals to girls doesn't make something shounen, huh? Riiiiight.

What about Sabagebu which is shoujo but is mainly popular with male otaku?

Bottom line, demographics don't mean everything all the time.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 20, 2015 3:51 AM

Jan 2014
Its 'SHOUJO' to me just their magazine make it shounen.

Jul 20, 2015 3:55 AM

Apr 2015
Is the "girl" more femine in the manga or not coz.... No matter how hard I tried.... she's a dude..... it's very hard to swallow.
#CHEXIT
Aug 17, 2015 3:04 PM

Apr 2009
phoenixalia said:
JokerxHisoka said:

Excuse me, what? So I guess by your definition Magi isn't shounen either since it has a large female otaku fanbase. Or Yowamushi Pedal, Barakamon and the like. Just because something appeals to girls doesn't make something shounen, huh? Riiiiight.

What about Sabagebu which is shoujo but is mainly popular with male otaku?

Bottom line, demographics don't mean everything all the time.

THIS!
Aug 29, 2015 12:53 AM

Mar 2012
I think it is, I've not watched the anime yet but the manga makes it pretty clearly.
Aug 29, 2015 2:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
it's blatant fujoshi bait
Oct 2, 2015 9:20 PM
Oct 2011
The show's full of bishounen and BL jokes and besides <10 seconds of dialog there's really nothing that differentiates Tachibana from a boy. If someone calls this shounen he/she doesn't have any idea what shounen even means.
Oct 4, 2015 12:14 AM

Jul 2012
HaXXspetten said:

isn't everything?

Sceles said:
The show's full of bishounen and BL jokes and besides <10 seconds of dialog there's really nothing that differentiates Tachibana from a boy. If someone calls this shounen he/she doesn't have any idea what shounen even means.

it's shounen because it's from a shounen magazine
Dec 25, 2015 4:01 PM
Dec 2011
Mayuka said:
HaXXspetten said:

isn't everything?

Sceles said:

it's shounen because it's from a shounen magazine

Being in a "shounen" magazine doesn't mean it's shounen, actually, there's nothing like shounen magazine, they have a main public that are young males(shounen) and that's it! As I've already said, a magazine isn't bound by it's main public and if they want to sell more they will try to expand it's field.
Mar 3, 2022 9:21 PM

Nov 2021
If you're saying this because of the female protagonist then you should watch The Promised Neverland or Inu x Boku ss

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoharu x Kikanjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

188 by almightybismarck »»
Jan 26, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Aoharu x Kikanjuu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2015

98 by almightybismarck »»
Jan 5, 2023 9:39 PM

» Dresses like a boy???

Shizuma1234 - Mar 3, 2022

4 by Twins26 »»
May 20, 2022 5:42 AM

» Stop talking in the 3rd person

semianonymous - Sep 6, 2015

17 by Shizuma1234 »»
Mar 3, 2022 9:14 PM

Poll: » Aoharu x Kikanjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2015

218 by HagePotPotato »»
Oct 21, 2020 11:14 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.