Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 27, 2015 3:57 AM
Oct 2012
people probably dislike the drama because Hachiman at s1 was more 'free' than s2. He doesn't really care about anything since he isn't close to anyone. And the anime failed to point the most important thing from the light novel.

At first, Hikigaya Hachiman doesn't want to change his way of life and ideals, while Yukinoshita Yukino wanted to change badly because she kept chasing her sister's shadow. But at later point (in which s2 happened), Hikigaya Hachiman finally trying to change his ideal/point of view, while Yukinoshita Yukino finally stopped chasing Haruno's shadow and trying to accept herself as an individual.

What changed them are the drama that happened (s1 dramas included), and it's the whole series' theme, which is human relationships.
Jun 27, 2015 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
slovak125 said:

Regarding OP, you are just butthurt because you prefer comedies over dramas.

Most of them dislike cliche romance and pretentious, tho.
They want 8man's social suicide, not a 'genuine' speak.
Jun 27, 2015 5:17 AM
Feb 2011
probably because most of the people who found the first season garbage didn't bother to watch the 2nd and rate it low
Jun 27, 2015 5:45 AM

Mar 2015
I feel pretty equally about both seasons - though I must admit I did like the second season slightly more.

The first season was my introduction to this series (and now the LN). I liked the concept, and I felt like it was the obvious "building block" to get to the second season. We had our main character introduced and there were a few trials. But it wasn't until the end of the season that we truly saw how messed up his ideals were in terms of solving problems. (in MY opinion)

So now, moving on to the second season, we don't have any building to do, we pick up right where we left off. So now, the characters begin developing, as well as their relationships. The internal struggle the main characters faced lasted a majority of the season, and one could argue, they are still struggling. That's something I liked - a problem that isn't solved overnight. I feel like some shows who are restrained in a 10-13 episode timeline with no guaranteed sequel try too hard to tie up loose ends. While you could say that the problem is "solved", it seems to be changing it's form. I also loved the introduction of Iroha. I also loved more development with Hayato (I really found him interesting to be honest).

For me, I love a show where there is slow, but WELL DEVELOPED characters. To me, this is a prime example.

If I had to think why people dislike the series - I would assume it was too slow. The first season, the club was essentially dealing with an issue every other episode. Also, I feel like some people had trouble with why the characters were acting certain ways. The show is rather wordy, and it doesn't come right out and say "this character feels ___ because..." which is so refreshing... but for people who aren't use to that style may find it difficult to follow. And then finally, the more obvious reason that people are mentioning is that season 2 had much more drama and less comedy. it's all about preference in the end.
Jun 27, 2015 7:29 AM
Aug 2014
op has shit taste

but really i guess people expected s1 antics to continue instead of actually meaningful drama and character development happening
Jun 27, 2015 7:39 AM
Aug 2014
I prefer Zoku way more. The animation, character development (even for the side characters) , the realistic problems and thought processes of our characters, everything was awesome. Season 1 had more comedy than Season 2, yes. That is quite obvious by now. However...Oregairu isn't your average cliche Romcom. It is something that goes beyond it. So, if people were expecting it to always be funny without any actual character development...then they were mistaken. The final episode did not have a conclusion..that is true. However..there is only so much a Studio can adapt and to be honest...I'm quite happy that they adapted faithfully without going for a anime original ending. Something else that I really liked was the fact that even side characters got importance. Especially Iroha and Hayama. I would have liked to see more of Kawasaki but I guess it is fine. The Character Development has been obvious for not only our main trio but also for side characters as well. I wonder what anime these people are watching if they seriously think side characters did not get any importance.
Jun 27, 2015 7:51 AM
Jul 2018
Shoul've made poll which is better S1 or S2.
Jun 27, 2015 7:52 AM

Jun 2013
Because this season was better
Jun 27, 2015 8:20 AM

Jul 2014
I put equal weight on both seasons, but for different reasons. Season one was awesome for combining snark, wit and good character writing. We had believably intelligent characters, i.e. to say characters who reflect their intelligence and rationale in their actions, and without compromising their base personality.

The second season for me is a debunking of that well reasoned but mechanical process of confronting society..
If everyone could act within limits of reason, objective and sacrosanct to themselves and others, world would be a boring paradise. Zoku takes the hard way to drive this point home for it's characters, letting them accept irrationality and disagreement, emotion and weakness, mistakes and misunderstandings, lies and half truths, all as inevitable and real, and more importantly, not fake.

But along with that, I also think this season is harder to digest than the previous one, if we're to judge it's merit on grounds we judged season one, as a lot of it's drama and conflict is overstated and it's not nearly as subtle or funny as it was before. That too, is part of what makes this season so wonderful and refreshing for me. Because in Zoku, the characters develop and mature, and the show explicitly characterises this maturity as the willingness to compromise and empathise with things you cannot relate. In that sense, while it is needlessly vague and abstract, unlike before, this can also be seen as a demand for the maturity the characters achieve through the course of the show to reflect in it's viewers. As we come to know these people better and closer, they become harder to relate to and understand, they sometimes are forced to act outside of what is correct for the viewer..
To accept and enjoy the show for where it's natural course has took it, it's indulgence in the inherent irrationality of human mind, it's denouncement of the reasoning and linear, utilitarian intelligence that brought it praise in the first season and to appreciate what it does convey than what it does not and does not try to -- that requires the same maturity in the viewers that out characters try to have.
TerapinJun 27, 2015 8:34 AM
Jun 27, 2015 8:24 AM

Mar 2013
It has a higher score since less people watched it and the fact that it's brand new. It will drop in a couple of weeks.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jun 27, 2015 8:36 AM

Jul 2014
EvenJellyOn said:
It has a higher score since less people watched it and the fact that it's brand new. It will drop in a couple of weeks.
I had counted on this for Shigatsu..no luck there. Maybe it'll be different for Zoku, though I don't think the current score is that very undeserved.
Jun 27, 2015 8:57 AM

Sep 2013
The new artistic direction, it didn't feel genuine.

OxyTechJun 27, 2015 9:01 AM
Jun 27, 2015 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
Whoa, Hayama, you are so ugly
Jun 27, 2015 9:09 AM
Apr 2015
Imaishi said:
rsc-pl said:

And it is so simple, s2 was much deeper and serious than 1st, this is the reason why I (and many other people) rated it higher.

Its not deep at all

People likes to think this is deep, let them be.
Jun 27, 2015 9:37 AM
Jan 2013
.......... Man dude do really need this thread? People have different opinions no need to force yours, if truly believe this season sucked total ass then the score will drop.

People didn't expect this drama shit to happen in S2 because of the light heartedness in season 1, they just wanted more of 8man one liners, loner tactics, and etc. Just too bad life hit him like a truck and he had to change... RIP

It also adds to the fact that this is top 400 of manga/LNs in 1-6, then magically became top 20 after Season 2 content. I guess mal users just like drama instead of comedy in a school setting.

Aka the people who gave s1 a shit rating didn't come to Season 2 to give it a shit rating case closed just waiting for some nerd to open the best girl after Season post cause we all know that's coming
Jun 27, 2015 10:40 AM

Mar 2013
slovak125 said:
rsc-pl said:

And it is so simple, s2 was much deeper and serious than 1st, this is the reason why I (and many other people) rated it higher.

Regarding OP, you are just butthurt because you prefer comedies over dramas. As S2 is more of a drama you just dislike it and trying to hide it behind some noble reasons that you pulled out of you ass. Instead of beating around the bush like faggot just say it straight. Everybody will respect you as everyone has different taste but just stop giving such nonsensical reasons as to why you don't like it.

TBH I dislike this comparison between these 2 seasons. It's just a continuation of the same medium, of the same story and this is just how it progresses. Rather than thinking of a 2 seasons think of it as an 26 ep anime.

lmao, what? Season 2's bad because the drama's bad, not because it's drama fullstop. It's infantile and stupid 90% of the time (and definitely not realistic, there are 0 teenagers that act like these characters) and a ton of the shit doesn't come across anyway unless you read every volume of the light novel so many times extracts from it just quote themselves every time you open your mouth. This season was trying to rely so much on subtlety, which fair enough is something you can do when you're describing the actions of every character in a book, but anime isn't like that. They're not human beings, they're simplified drawings, most of which have the exact same facial structure (especially with season 2's art changes lmao). There's only so much you can do with their faces to make their emotion clear without really ramping up the amount of facial detail. In fact, the only TV anime I've seen that did facial subtlety well was Aku No Hana, purely because it was rotoscoped and took real human emotion straight from the source. If they wanted to adapt this part of the story, they should've done a live action drama, not an anime.
TyrelJun 27, 2015 5:32 PM
Jun 27, 2015 11:19 AM

Jul 2014
CodeUnknown said:
Imaishi said:

Its not deep at all

People likes to think this is deep, let them be.
people also like to think they're cool thinking they know what 'deep' anime is like..pathetic.
I'm not pointing amy fingers here...
Jun 27, 2015 11:21 AM

Nov 2014
_Charl said:
Shoul've made poll which is better S1 or S2.
This way there is an opening for discussion.

Jun 27, 2015 11:24 AM

Feb 2014
straggy said:
slovak125 said:

Regarding OP, you are just upset because you prefer comedies over dramas. As S2 is more of a drama you just dislike it and trying to hide it behind some noble reasons that you pulled out of you ass. Instead of beating around the bush like faggot just say it straight. Everybody will respect you as everyone has different taste but just stop giving such nonsensical reasons as to why you don't like it.

TBH I dislike this comparison between these 2 seasons. It's just a continuation of the same medium, of the same story and this is just how it progresses. Rather than thinking of a 2 seasons think of it as an 26 ep anime.

lmao, what? Season 2's bad because the drama's bad, not because it's drama fullstop. It's infantile and stupid 90% of the time (and definitely not realistic, there are 0 teenagers that act like these characters) and a ton of the shit doesn't come across anyway unless you read every volume of the light novel so many times extracts from it just quote themselves every time you open your mouth. This season was trying to rely so much on subtlety, which fair enough is something you can do when you're describing the actions of every character in a book, but anime isn't like that. They're not human beings, they're simplified drawings, most of which have the exact same facial structure (especially with season 2's art changes lmao). There's only so much you can do with their faces to make their emotion clear without really ramping up the amount of facial detail. In fact, the only TV anime I've seen that did facial subtlety well was Aku No Hana, purely because it was rotoscoped and took real human emotion straight from the source. If they wanted to adapt this part of the story, they should've done a live action drama, not an anime.

...Yeezus...

When someone uses word "deep" as in this case, It didn't for fuck sake mean that it's deep because there is a shit ton of drama... And totally not whether it was executed well or not. It means that this isn't just some fairy tail lulz battle shounen with rankings that is just pure form of entertainment, but that it carries some deeper meaning behind it.
TyrelJun 27, 2015 5:33 PM
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jun 27, 2015 11:29 AM

Jun 2015
straggy said:
(and definitely not realistic, there are 0 teenagers that act like these characters)

I am always weirded out by comments like these. Unless you have some kind of supernatural power, no human has read the minds of every teenager that ever lived. So how can anyone claim that none of them act this way?

Even if you are a super riajuu, you probably know the true thoughts of maybe a thousand teenagers at best. And it will be a biased sample based on where you live and which school you go to. Generalizing this to every teenager seems pretty hasty. There could always be the rare exception that behaves differently.

And now remember what the setting of the story is. This is not some average high school, it's an elite school. I believe 8man even said something like the entrance exam was so difficult that only 1 person from his middle school succeeds each year.

Elite schools obviously select people who are academically smarter, which in turn selects for traits which are correlated with academic smarts. And traits such as extreme amounts of "overthinking" and "cynicism" are often correlated with academic smarts, especially since constantly asking questions and being critical are actually pretty effective methods for academic learning. And like hikki shows, people who behave "abnormally" and have no friends also have more time to study as a result, so again, these "weird" behaviours can be correlated with academic performance. So I find it entirely believable that teenagers in an elite school behave this way.

And now to end with a more lighthearted joke:

[spoiler]
the most unrealistic thing about the story is actually Yui: how the heck did she get in this school? XD
Jun 27, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2014
straggy said:
slovak125 said:

Certainly it is much deeper than some butt naked women running around with scissors.
How can you even say such crap? It adresses many problems and provide some insight into different personalities and their interaction. This characters are much more realistic than in 99% of chinese cartoons. But of course if you prefer fairy tails than it's your problem.

Regarding OP, you are just butthurt because you prefer comedies over dramas. As S2 is more of a drama you just dislike it and trying to hide it behind some noble reasons that you pulled out of you ass. Instead of beating around the bush like faggot just say it straight. Everybody will respect you as everyone has different taste but just stop giving such nonsensical reasons as to why you don't like it.

lmao, what? Season 2's bad because the drama's bad, not because it's drama fullstop. It's infantile and stupid 90% of the time (and definitely not realistic, there are 0 teenagers that act like these characters) a ton of the shit doesn't come across anyway unless you read every volume of the light novel so many times extracts from it just quote themselves every time you open your mouth. This season was trying to rely so much on subtlety, which fair enough is something you can do when you're describing the actions of every character in a book, but anime isn't like that. They're not human beings, they're simplified drawings, most of which have the exact same facial structure (especially with season 2's art changes lmao). There's only so much you can do with their faces to make their emotion clear without really ramping up the amount of facial detail. In fact, the only TV anime I've seen that did facial subtlety well was Aku No Hana, purely because it was rotoscoped and took real human emotion straight from the source. If they wanted to adapt this part of the story, they should've done a live action drama, not an anime.
I think we've had this conversation before, but are you still unaware of what a confirmation bias is? The sheer gall in thinking you know everything about the singular teenage experience...is beyond ridiculous.
I remember you having a negative opinion of the show right from the first episode iirc.
How is the drama infantile and selfish? Your personal difficulty in relating to or accepting the priorities of other people doesn't mean they or their priorities are stupid. For instance I find the drama both justified, reasonable and realistic, and so do many others anime only watchers and ln readers alike.
If only you could put that unfounded stereotype and pride behind you maybe you'd find something worth in here. Even if you don't that doesn't make the show stupid..unless of course you're saying those who disagree with you are stupid.but I'm sure you're better than that. It's a shame, that oregairu is chided using the same reasoning it continually debunks. That anyone can completely understand another.
I've said this many times before but in this show it is the effort to understand even if you don't relate, to accept even if you can't agree is what is important. Isnt that what the characters ultimately learn? That is my view in any case.
TerapinJun 27, 2015 11:44 AM
Jun 27, 2015 11:39 AM
Jun 2015
weewah said:
straggy said:
(and definitely not realistic, there are 0 teenagers that act like these characters)

I am always weirded out by comments like these. Unless you have some kind of supernatural power, no human has read the minds of every teenager that ever lived. So how can anyone claim that none of them act this way?

Even if you are a super riajuu, you probably know the true thoughts of maybe a thousand teenagers at best. And it will be a biased sample based on where you live and which school you go to. Generalizing this to every teenager seems pretty hasty. There could always be the rare exception that behaves differently.

And now remember what the setting of the story is. This is not some average high school, it's an elite school. I believe 8man even said something like the entrance exam was so difficult that only 1 person from his middle school succeeds each year.

Elite schools obviously select people who are academically smarter, which in turn selects for traits which are correlated with academic smarts. And traits such as extreme amounts of "overthinking" and "cynicism" are often correlated with academic smarts, especially since constantly asking questions and being critical are actually pretty effective methods for academic learning. And like hikki shows, people who behave "abnormally" and have no friends also have more time to study as a result, so again, these "weird" behaviours can be correlated with academic performance. So I find it entirely believable that teenagers in an elite school behave this way.

And now to end with a more lighthearted joke:

[spoiler]
the most unrealistic thing about the story is actually Yui: how the heck did she get in this school? XD

lol really how did she get into this school? :P
Jun 27, 2015 11:58 AM

May 2015
For the fuck sake, just enjoy the damn both of 2 seasons, Feel and Brain's Base did the best as they could. But i will choose SS2 for the better season. It was deeeper and not funnier, it takes more serious, it had less monologue but aslo give more actions, i need more actions than say, people always say "easier said than done", that why i rate 8man's SS2 is better than his old one, he do some good actions and begin to have less monologue. Though less monologue from 8man, but every monologue he said, they were the best, doesn't need too much but still can make the good.

Thank for the SS1 to make me know this Oregairu. I watched SS1 for the first time 3 months ago. I never knew this exist until accidentally i search some stuff about anime songs, and then i hope SS2 would be made, after 2 weeks after i finish SS1 (Late March 2015), there was announcement that SS2 would coming soon, i was so exicted, I was screaming for a long time after reading it . And finnaly, SS2 did better as i expected.

Better animation (maybe the taste can be different for everybody), better developing characters, better story, story of LN from Vol 7 to Vol 11 is better than vol 1 -6 (SS1) (except the ending of Vol 11), when we have a new character, IROHA, man, i like her so much <3

YUKION is not a cold bitch anymore, she begins to think about someone, and has feeling too, YUI was not only funnier but also easy hurt by some actions, that mean she is a girl too, she is weak, and need love. Both of them want to be happy at this fucking club. Not just do some fucking requests day by day at SS1.

YUI>IROHA>YUKION. But the damn voice of Hayami Saori is the best, man, i'm addict to her brilliant voice, her voice may cold in this anime but it was soft and easily causing excitement.
NikodeadJun 27, 2015 12:02 PM
Jun 27, 2015 12:00 PM

Apr 2014
weewah said:
Because season 1 doesn't have Iroha. XD
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 27, 2015 12:01 PM

Jun 2015
i love them both

:3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2015 12:13 PM

Jun 2015
Sequels. They always get more praise and recognition.

- Plot progression is fine.
- Character design also is better.
- Became a harem, and Iroha :3
- 8man not batman anymore.
- Cliche.

I'll agree that this one is slow-paced compared to S1. Episode 8 seemed to be superfluous, specially the 1st half.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2015 3:58 PM

Mar 2013
Couldn't agree more . Melodramatic (even for me), tries way too hard to be somehow really insightful and philosophical ending up being shallow and pretentious instead. The talk between Hachiman and Sensei in EP8 is a perfect example of that and doesn't cause any other reactions than laughter and shame.

And like some other people have mentioned, there isn't a single character that acts like a teenager I have known (and I was sometimes an idiot like Hachiman in S1, but can't see myself anymore in him in S2), so everything feels just very unrealistic.
PaperinukkeJun 27, 2015 4:06 PM
Otakus don't ever learn anything.
Jun 27, 2015 4:01 PM

Sep 2014
slovak125 said:
Imaishi said:

Its not deep at all

Regarding OP, you are just upset because you prefer comedies over dramas. As S2 is more of a drama you just dislike it and trying to hide it behind some noble reasons that you pulled out of you ass. Instead of beating around the bush like faggot just say it straight. Everybody will respect you as everyone has different taste but just stop giving such nonsensical reasons as to why you don't like it.

And yeah, this is not deep. Certainly not. Behind all this pretentious babble, heavy drama and the tension overall, what you have are overblown problems of lonely teens, nothing as smart or serious as this show makes it up to be.
That is like opposite of being deep.
TyrelJun 27, 2015 5:31 PM
Jun 27, 2015 4:01 PM

Dec 2012
I marathoned this and didn't keep up with it, because the change in art, really turned me off. But I got used to it, and it's not that bad, except in the case of Hachiman.

I think the biggest difference between the two season, is the focus and style of narrative. In the first season, aside from being an introduction and all, it's mainly a social commentary, given by Hachiman. It greatly focus on him, and his point of view, his cynicism and his experiences, that led to his life style and mentality. The other characters, aside from maybe Yukino, really didn't get much focus or fleshing out or anything memorable, which the second season improved on greatly. Hachiman didn't change in it, because at this point, he wasn't ready change, he changed a bit, but not fully.

The second season, focused, on Hachiman, and his relationship with other characters (mainly the three main characters), it was a very noticeable change, it was no longer just about Hachiman, and his view, because we are already familiar with it. A lot of dimensions where added to characters like Yukino and Yui, and supporting characters, that were fairly one dimensional (Fujoshi girl, Hayato mainly), I thought Hayato had the potential to be an interesting character in season one, because he wasn't just the antithesis of Hachiman, and the stereotypical popular guy, there were hints of being more to him than that, but I didn't really thought he would actually live up to that potential in season 2, so that was really nice and appreciated.

The problems I had with season 2, was the pacing, and certain necessary but boring drama. for the first 6 or so episodes, everything seemed kinda slow, the drama from the first request (confession to the fujoshi girl) was really overdramatic and kinda dragged out, and I really didn't enjoy it. It only saving merit, and the reason it was necessary, was because it led to the conflict between Hachiman and Yukino, in the type of methods he takes. The student council, was also very boring, but it was necessary for Hachiman and Yukino's relationship, which led to Hachiman being finally ready to change, his confession of wanting the real thing, this was a big highlight of the season, I honestly didn't see coming, it felt very genuine and heart wrenching for me, felt like they were good progression between the main characters, making them feeling more dynamic. Again, the school project thing with the other school was super boring, it honestly not that necessary, it could have been dealt with a more interesting way, felt like it stalled time, and it weren't for Hachiman's confession of wanting the real thing, it would have been entirely pointless.

I didn't really like Yukino's sister, actually I take that back, I really dislike her. I'm not sure, what's the angle of her character. I have two impression of where her role is going, but both seem awful, and I wish she didn't have that much screen time, this season. I'm also not that biggest fan of Iroha, she feels unneeded for the dynamic of the main characters. But some of her scenes were funny, so she is not that bad.

One of the good surprises of this season, was Yui. She is really more mysterious than the other two leads, because of her cheery personality, I didn't think there was much to her, in the first season, than her crush on Hachiman, which was a bit confusing (already know what ties them together with the accident, but it still feels there something off about her). She seems more aware, and not just an air head. She is hard to read, unlike Yukino and Hachiman, and that adds some complexity to her character.

All in all, both seasons had their cons and pros, and while appreciate, the serious tone, the development and progression, and change in style of narrative in season 2, I prefer the first season, maybe it's because the first one, below my mind, with Hachiman, so I'm more biased to it, as I will always love Hachiman more than actual show.

Season 1. 9/10
Season 2. 8/10

Just my 2cents.
Jun 27, 2015 7:42 PM
Jan 2013

Man for a show you really don't like you sure spend a lot of time talking about it.
Jun 27, 2015 7:49 PM
Apr 2013
kitkatxz said:

Man for a show you really don't like you sure spend a lot of time talking about it.

People tend to complain more than they commend. Heck, I am also the same in that regard.
Jun 27, 2015 8:31 PM

Jan 2012
ExTamplier said:
New season has slow paced, poor character development (non existent besides the trio), pointless talks about nothing every episode for minutes. This season accomplishes nothing compared to season 1, yet it's in the 100. Season 1 Should be in 100, not season 2. What a let down..

It's... It's like you didn't even read the LN. Salty-sama.
Jun 27, 2015 8:37 PM

Jun 2015
straggy said:

Because I was once a teenager and, believe it or not, teenagers know plenty of other teenagers from other backgrounds. Teens that go to elite schools know teens that don't and vice versa. It's not all weird cliques like you see in bad American movies where everyone that everyone knows is exactly the same as them. You know enough other teens to get a good enough picture of what teens as a whole are like and these characters aren't realistic.

Yeah, I don't know all teenagers, but all teenagers definitely do have an idea of what other teenagers are like. You'd have to be blind to your entire surroundings not to.

This last line is exactly the problem. The fact that you don't know all teenagers means that the idea of what other teenagers are like may be wrong. Just knowing lots of teenagers from lots of backgrounds, doesn't provide knowledge on every teenager.

And this statement will remain true regardless of how "diverse" you think the sample is. I.e. one can never be certain that the sample isn't biased and/or missing some other types of teenagers.

So claiming that a relatively small (at most ~1000 teenagers out of all the several millions of them) sample gives a "good idea" of what teenagers "as a whole" are like is an unfair generalization that one should really avoid making.

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, making unfair generalizations like these about entire groups of people based on a relatively small sample is one of the first steps that leads to discrimination, so this is really important to recognize and stop.

Finally, if you still somehow strongly believe in the "fairness" of your sample, here's a counterargument: the very fact that there are several people disagreeing with you on whether the characters are realistic really suggests that they have samples that do allow such characters to be evaluated as realistic. (While these samples may also be unfair, we aren't the ones making a claim about all teenagers, only some.)

Of course, the alternative explanation is that we disagreers all happen to be "blind to our entire surroundings". But do you really want to go with that assumption? (If you say yes, this thread is going to descend into a flame war in seconds... well it is already starting to look like one though. >_<)
Jun 27, 2015 9:59 PM

Nov 2014
Ahri said:
ExTamplier said:
New season has slow paced, poor character development (non existent besides the trio), pointless talks about nothing every episode for minutes. This season accomplishes nothing compared to season 1, yet it's in the 100. Season 1 Should be in 100, not season 2. What a let down..

I... I did't. What a revelation!

Jun 27, 2015 10:51 PM

Jan 2012
ExTamplier said:
Ahri said:

I... I did't. What a revelation!

Other than some things being cut out, it stayed true to the LN. What you're saying is that you didn't want any sort of character development and for things to stay the same throughout it all. Quirky jokes of an anti-social loner. The way it was set up from the beginning this was the only solution to develop the characters. Both Hikki and Yukino are too stubborn to admit anything or change anything without the extra push. This episode even exemplifies that.
Jun 28, 2015 12:22 AM

Jan 2011
Outside of Yui's boobs (and they got kinda fixed towards the end of the season), everything in the S2 was better for me. I rated S1 9 and S2 10, S2 being also the show of the season for me. It literally had everything - good art and animation (better than S1), good music and VA (inherited, but still), good plot with relevant and quite a few support characters who even stole a few episodes from the mains.
Yea, me happy.
Jun 28, 2015 12:34 AM

Feb 2014
straggy said:
slovak125 said:
...Yeezus...

When someone uses word "deep" as in this case, It didn't for fuck sake mean that it's deep because there is a shit ton of drama... And totally not whether it was executed well or not. It means that this isn't just some fairy tail lulz battle shounen with rankings that is just pure form of entertainment, but that it carries some deeper meaning behind it.

When did I mention it being deep? You were mentioning people hating this show because comedies > dramas whilst using a ton of angryass slurs, not saying the show was deep. Fuck, I didn't even say it was deep once. Did you read what I said at all?

You replied to me when I was reacting to a guy who said it was not deep at all and you went about shit drama, realistical characters... So of course I would think that you are going on about "deep" when you butt in like that.

Also if you think that there are 0 teenagers like that you are just oblivious to your surroundings. And basically you are underestimating humans if you think that they are that shallow.

BTW NAZI mods are really going crazy in these threads. Like literally the only good thing about MAL is/was a FREEDOM of SPEECH and now you even want to destroy that. Great, keep up the good work TYREL. Let's all have a pointless discussions with exchanging formalities so Mr. Nazi will be satisfied.

P.S Don't forget to edit/delete this post too.
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jun 28, 2015 12:47 AM

Mar 2013
Terapin said:
Quality isn't all about entertainment

Everything else you said was redundant after this because... it's a TV show. It was made purely to entertain, like that is the whole entire point of it. How you really gonna sit here and say "this piece of entertainment doesn't have to be entertaining to be good"? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? That not only utterly defeats the purpose but begs the question of what the fuck you're watching anime for if it's not to have fun and enjoy yourself. Why are you indulging in a hobby that you're not doing to have fun? This... literally makes no sense.
Jun 28, 2015 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
How rude slovak, I'm a part of neo-nazi nao.
Jun 28, 2015 1:54 AM

Jul 2008
I liked the second season more because it has more character development :)
Jun 28, 2015 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
ShanaFlame said:
I liked the second season more because it has more character development :)

Well said.
Jun 28, 2015 3:19 AM

Apr 2015
coz season 1 has a lot of ugly character, i mean UGLY, everything in season1 is ugly except the story. even the popular handsome guy is ugly. i dont think someone in their right mind will rate the ugly one better than the good looking one.
internet is a cruel mistress
Jun 28, 2015 5:54 AM
Aug 2014
straggy said:
Terapin said:

Everything else you said was redundant after this because... it's a TV show. It was made purely to entertain, like that is the whole entire point of it. How you really gonna sit here and say "this piece of entertainment doesn't have to be entertaining to be good"? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? That not only utterly defeats the purpose but begs the question of what the fuck you're watching anime for if it's not to have fun and enjoy yourself. Why are you indulging in a hobby that you're not doing to have fun? This... literally makes no sense.

must be sad if the only thing you can get from media is "fun" and nothing else

clearly feeling for and with characters, thinking about their actions and their implications and maybe even finding answers to things related to your personal life is the wrong way to consume media (that one might be a stretch for anime, but if you consider books ect then its very valid, at least for me)

some people strive for self improvement with their hobbies instead of enjoyment, does that make it bad? your argument is the one that literally makes no sense

ot rant: (and then I look at lists and see people giving shigatsu a 10 and zoku a 1, this is ridiculous. If something has betrayed your own (unrealistic) expectations, then its your own fault and thats me literally quoting this story)
celeminusJun 28, 2015 5:58 AM
Jun 28, 2015 6:49 AM
Jul 2018
then I look at lists and see people giving shigatsu a 10 and zoku a 1, this is ridiculous. If something has betrayed your own (unrealistic) expectations, then its your own fault and thats me literally quoting this story

most of them have bad taste expected 8man's social suicide and comedy but only get pretentious drama, romance and haremshit trio and Iroha character development in this series , they are just h8rs and weebs, don't expect fair score from them
Jun 28, 2015 6:59 AM

Oct 2013
1. People who disliked Season 1 probably didn't watch and give low ratings to this Season.

2. This Season has taken more of a "show, don't tell" approach, visually depicting the events in the Light Novels. Not everything is spoonfed. I can understand why people might not like this.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jun 28, 2015 6:59 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
celeminus said:
straggy said:

clearly feeling for and with characters, thinking about their actions and their implications and maybe even finding answers to things related to your personal life is the wrong way to consume media (that one might be a stretch for anime, but if you consider books ect then its very valid, at least for me)

some people strive for self improvement with their hobbies instead of enjoyment, does that make it bad? your argument is the one that literally makes no sense
The way I see it, essentially everything is just a sub-category of enjoyment value. If an anime has a good story, you'll enjoy it more. If an anime has likeable and well-written characters, you'll enjoy it more. If an anime has good art and music, you'll enjoy it more. Etcetera. In the end, everything still comes down to one thing only, namely enjoyment value. So in that sense yeah, that is pretty much all that matters. As for why or how you like or dislike something in the grand scheme of things is not particularly relevant. All that matters is that you do. Because in the end anime is just a form of entertainment media, and I can guarantee you that 95%+ of all anime viewers watch anime solely for enjoyment in their spare time and nothing more, so it's not like anything else should really matter. If you were a professional anime critic or you work with trying to cultivate the future of the anime industry or something like that it'd be a different matter of course, but for just casual viewers... yeah that's not really the case. Not like their opinions on something is going to change anything anyway so you might as well just calm down and enjoy stuff for what it is
Jun 28, 2015 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
_Charl said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
95% of reviews on mal are extremely poorly done and always offers a good chuckle. I might start linking bad ones onto my twitch stream starting July 5th.

What do you expecting from weebs?
ofc most of them don't care how to make a good review and pour some memes into their essays.

>kindly reminder
Jun 28, 2015 7:15 AM

Feb 2015
Fan service by Hachi. Sensei blushing. These 2 facts.
Jun 28, 2015 9:10 AM

Jul 2014
straggy said:
Terapin said:

Everything else you said was redundant after this because... it's a TV show. It was made purely to entertain, like that is the whole entire point of it. How you really gonna sit here and say &quot;this piece of entertainment doesn't have to be entertaining to be good&quot;? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? That not only utterly defeats the purpose but begs the question of what the fuck you're watching anime for if it's not to have fun and enjoy yourself. Why are you indulging in a hobby that you're not doing to have fun? This... literally makes no sense.
every form of fiction is meant for entertainment. If you think a tv show or an anime is purely for entertainment and anything that tries to go beyond these inherent limitations is stupid then i weep for everything you miss out but that is your choice. Don't be so presumptuous as to think that should be yardstick for every other person. Entertainment has different meaning for different people and that is why I try to fond merit in works I cannot enjoy. Consider cowboy bepop or bakemonogatari or samurai champloo, I cant enjoy these over the top rule of cool shows. But I can appreciate their merit, quality and success in what they try to do. I wouldn't dream of calling these shows stupid because I find them boring. See what I mean by quality's independence from entertainment?

Yu look at oregairu zoku expecting to find realism and comedy, instead you get harem antics and over the top drama (in your view). But then you were betrayed by expectations, not because the show is stupid. It successfully fulfills a purpose and fantastically at that. Moreover the season has been extremely enjoyable for me , so i don't understand where you come from when you say it is boring wven though I don't feel the need to question your preference or deliberately imply that you are unintelligent or attention seeking or something like that.

But your phrasing of your views as beyond question ('these characters are stupid because 0 teenagers act like this in real life' what a presumptuous thing to say!) and insistence on the stupidity of the shows characters is extremely aggravating.
Jun 28, 2015 5:24 PM

Mar 2013
celeminus said:
straggy said:

Except all those things you listed fall under entertainment, enjoying yourself and having fun. Just because you felt sad for a character and cried for them doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining, like the sheer fact that that happened to you meant you were entertained in the first place. You wouldn't have felt sad if the character didn't entertain you and you didn't enjoy them and you didn't have fun watching their character arc. What exactly do you think having fun and being entertained means? That the entertainment can only be happy and make you laugh? Like shit, watching dark tragedies is fun and entertaining, it's why people do it. There's no other reason to have a hobby than to do it to alleviate boredom, ie entertain yourself, ie have fun. It's that simple.

A piece of entertainment that doesn't entertain you is like being given food you can't eat. Of course that's bad.
TyrelJul 2, 2015 5:00 PM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2015

1002 by venbals »»
Mar 29, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2015

556 by venbals »»
Mar 29, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 21, 2015

667 by venbals »»
Mar 16, 10:16 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 7, 2015

421 by venbals »»
Mar 16, 9:12 PM

» Help me understand the whole drama ( 1 2 )

GuidSMR - Apr 4, 2023

65 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 26, 8:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.