Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 1, 2015 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
The big four of progressive rock, who do you think is the best?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 2015 10:05 AM
Mar 2011
floyd and crimson cause they never sould out
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 1, 2015 10:09 AM

Oct 2010
(You forgot ELP. They were big too.)
I've listened to all four and I would say that I like Yes a bit more than the rest.
With King Crimson, there are only three albums I like (Court of Crimson King, Poseidon and Red.).
I don't care much for pre-DSOTM Pink Floyd and I'm not interested in a Gabriel-free version of Genesis.
May 1, 2015 10:25 AM

Apr 2015
Yes.

But Genesis and King Crimson are probably tied for second. I don't really care for Pink Floyd. I think they're way overrated.

Personal favorite prog-rock is Dream Theater, at least until Portnoy left.
May 1, 2015 11:17 AM

Apr 2013
Pink Floyd <3
May 1, 2015 11:18 AM

Feb 2014
lllllllll said:
Pink Floyd <3

YES!

My all time favourite band too.

That being said, the others are also great, especially the godly King Crimson.

But no one can compete against Floyd.
Where the fuck did Monday go?
May 1, 2015 11:52 AM

Jul 2013
Pink Floyd, obviously.
May 1, 2015 1:11 PM

Nov 2008
King Crimson. My favorite album is Red. I like albums from every decade they've worked in. I'm not a big fan of their debut album, though.

May 1, 2015 1:12 PM

Feb 2014
Ezekiel said:
King Crimson. My favorite album is Red. I like albums from every decade they've worked in. I'm not a big fan of their debut album, though.

Starless <3
May 1, 2015 1:26 PM

Apr 2011
I fucking love Yes. Close to the Edge and Going for the One are fantastic albums.

Not listened to much of the rest of the other bands but Dark Side of the Moon is pretty fucking good as well as In the Court of the Crimson King. I need to check more of King Crimson and Pink Floyd at some point of my life.

Genesis is something I could never really get into but some tracks from Selling England by the Pound are brilliant.
GloriousHawkMay 1, 2015 1:30 PM
May 1, 2015 1:52 PM

Feb 2014
GloriousHawk said:
I fucking love Yes. Close to the Edge and Going for the One are fantastic albums.

Not listened to much of the rest of the other bands but Dark Side of the Moon is pretty fucking good as well as In the Court of the Crimson King. I need to check more of King Crimson and Pink Floyd at some point of my life.

Genesis is something I could never really get into but some tracks from Selling England by the Pound are brilliant.

Listen to Animals & Wish You Were Here by Floyd - Most of their albums are masterpieces though xD

As for Crimson, listen to Red.
May 1, 2015 1:57 PM
Mar 2011
GloriousHawk said:

after Genesis stopped geing prog soon as colllins took over and ownwer of the lonly heart kiid yes's cred as pring act
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 1, 2015 2:20 PM

Sep 2014
I would say Pink Floyd, but to be honest I listened very little of the other three.
May 1, 2015 2:55 PM

Apr 2014
1. King Crimson
2. Genesis
3. Pink Floyd
4. Yes

I rank ELP, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator and several others above Floyd.
May 1, 2015 3:21 PM

Oct 2010
^
I enjoy VDGG as well. My favorite albums are H is to He Who Am The Only One and Godbluff.

Gentle Giant had me interested until Octopus. There were no songs that stuck in my mind and I've tried that album out at least twice. Maybe the albums after that are better.
May 1, 2015 3:26 PM

May 2014
Between King Crimson and Pink Floyd I've got to say Pink Floyd
The other two have always been to strange for me.
I've been here way too long...
May 1, 2015 4:21 PM

Feb 2014
offmodel said:
Syd Barret era Pink Floyd has to be the top pick for me. That music really stands the test of time. Examples:

Psychedelic goodness :)
May 1, 2015 4:22 PM
Mar 2011
offmodel said:
Syd Barret era Pink Floyd has to be the top pick for me. That music really stands the test of time. Examples:

yes yes yes

May 1, 2015 4:29 PM

Jan 2015
Alan Parsons Project.

I fucking hate prog. Might as well listen to Dream Theatre or Dimmu Borgir and kill myelf. Music for old men with waistcoats and beards and broad hats, and cunts who smoke 15 bongs an hour made out of strawberry milk bottle and never leave the coach

Do mike oldfield and vangelis count? They were ok.
FahtahSenseiMay 1, 2015 4:36 PM
May 1, 2015 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
Pink Floyd is the best thing since sliced bread, I have love for King Crimson too though
May 1, 2015 4:37 PM
Sep 2014
In terms of popularity and effect on the world Pink Floyd is definitively the winner with so many classic.

But I am a big fan of Yes and also the young Styx theses are my personal best in my heart and they will always be number 1, so cute.
May 1, 2015 4:49 PM

Feb 2014
FahtahSensei said:
Alan Parsons Project.

I fucking hate prog. Might as well listen to Dream Theatre or Dimmu Borgir and kill myelf. Music for old men with waistcoats and beards and broad hats, and cunts who smoke 15 bongs an hour made out of strawberry milk bottle and never leave the coach

Do mike oldfield and vangelis count? They were ok.

lol @ the aqua fan
May 1, 2015 5:00 PM
Jan 2015
King Crimson and Pink Floyd
May 1, 2015 6:33 PM

Dec 2007
Might have to go with Genesis.. Gabriel-era, of course, although I'd include their first without him, A Trick of the Tail, which is pretty great.

Yes had that brilliant three album run, but I may slightly prefer King Crimson for the debut and Red alone. I don't know, they're both a close second.

I find Floyd to be overrated. I dig some of their stuff, but the big name albums (DSotM, WYWH, The Wall) leave me a bit cold.
May 1, 2015 6:36 PM

Nov 2010
Genesis (with Peter Gabriel), then Crimson.
May 1, 2015 6:57 PM

Feb 2013
Yes > Genesis > King Crimson >>>> Pink Floyd

Not a big psychedelic fan, so Floyd is my least favorite here, but the rest are all really good, and Close to the Edge and Topographic Oceans in particular are amazing albums.
May 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Apr 2014
DeadSnow24th said:
I enjoy VDGG as well. My favorite albums are H is to He Who Am The Only One and Godbluff.

Gentle Giant had me interested until Octopus. There were no songs that stuck in my mind and I've tried that album out at least twice. Maybe the albums after that are better.

Those are my two favorites of VdGG too.

Octopus finds GG getting even more complex and, mainly in the next album, taking on a more cold sound, compared to the warm, lush sound of the early albums. It only gets more like that from there up through Interview, other than Free Hand, which has them attempting somewhat of a more accessible sound (though different from the first albums). I think Octopus is a very memorable album, but I don't think it was that way on the first couple of listens. I kept coming back to it because there is so much going on in it, and eventually all the whacked out grooves were ingrained in me.
May 2, 2015 4:22 AM

Jan 2015
DarkStarr96 said:

lol @ the aqua fan

Bubblepop / Toy pop fans are elitist cutting edge. It is the 2nd next wave of cool underground revival after neo- 80s synth / chillwave (which I was right about years ago) is burnt out . Read this post in ten years.
May 2, 2015 6:19 AM

Oct 2010
Altairius said:

Octopus finds GG getting even more complex and, mainly in the next album, taking on a more cold sound, compared to the warm, lush sound of the early albums. It only gets more like that from there up through Interview, other than Free Hand, which has them attempting somewhat of a more accessible sound (though different from the first albums). I think Octopus is a very memorable album, but I don't think it was that way on the first couple of listens. I kept coming back to it because there is so much going on in it, and eventually all the whacked out grooves were ingrained in me.

Well now that makes sense. I should focus a bit more on discovering the complexities of the album.
I'll sit down an' give it another listen since I know what to look for.
May 2, 2015 6:48 AM

Feb 2014
FahtahSensei said:
DarkStarr96 said:

lol @ the aqua fan

Bubblepop / Toy pop fans are elitist cutting edge. It is the 2nd next wave of cool underground revival after neo- 80s synth / chillwave (which I was right about years ago) is burnt out . Read this post in ten years.

gg
May 2, 2015 6:59 AM

Feb 2011
pink floyd > yes > king crimson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> genesis

just saw the flaming lips and they played covers of speak to me/breathe AND 21st century schizoid man, was pretty fucking amazing
May 2, 2015 9:38 AM

Nov 2013
Floyd, purely because of Meddle and Animals. If Van Der Graaf Generator were on the list, I'd put them at the top though.

Hard to rank the remaining three, but I'd probably go with: Genesis > Yes > King Crimson.
May 2, 2015 9:46 AM

Apr 2011
DarkStarr96 said:
GloriousHawk said:

Listen to Animals & Wish You Were Here by Floyd - Most of their albums are masterpieces though xD

I'm listening to Red now. I don't regret a damn thing. Thanks!
May 2, 2015 9:59 AM

Jun 2013
The Moody Blues anyone?
May 2, 2015 10:02 AM

Jun 2013
But among the choices I'd pick Yes. I love Close To The Edge.
May 2, 2015 11:25 AM

Apr 2015
Dat moment when you find someone with the same avatar as you ;__;

I don't know much about the other bands, but my Pink Floyd is one of my favourites, so I'd probably choose it anyway.
May 2, 2015 4:46 PM

Feb 2014
GloriousHawk said:
DarkStarr96 said:

I'm listening to Red now. I don't regret a damn thing. Thanks!

Good stuff ;)
May 2, 2015 5:49 PM

Apr 2014
DarkStarr96 said:
FahtahSensei said:

gg

Gentle Giant?

But no, the whole 'poptimist' thing is purely an internet phenomenon that only the most perverse, cynical music haters take seriously (actually, they don't, they just pretend to have such opinions to annoy people).
May 2, 2015 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Among those four, my favourite ones are Pink Floyd (Atom Heart Mother, Animals, The Wall, Meddle) and Genesis (Selling England By The Pound, Foxtrot, Trespass). From that era, however, Thick As A Brick is my favourite album, and Queen are overall my favourite band. Yes they had their prog era as well.

But my favourite prog style in general is the more recent one, Pain Of Salvation and Phideaux most of all, followed by Ayreon and others. And still, my favourite band of all time is Minstrel, underground amzing-prog rock band from Italy:

I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!
May 2, 2015 11:57 PM

Nov 2011
Can
May 2, 2015 11:58 PM

Dec 2007
Waifu_Strangler said:
Can

Well yeah, easily.. if they were included.
May 3, 2015 12:00 AM

Nov 2011
SchnickelFritz said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Can

Well yeah, easily.. if they were included.

:)
May 4, 2015 12:42 AM

Jul 2014
I shouldn't say Pink Floyd are progressive, though they are heavily influenced by the genre.
Anyway, between the four of them, I would choose King Crimson. Specifically their 70s period.
I also love Pink Floyd and Yes, but for some reasons, I'm not too fond of Genesis. Except Firth of Fifth. Yes, Firth of Fifth is awesome.
I've yet to find a symphonic prog band as good as King Crimson. Their use of classical instruments is unsurpassed, in the context of progressive rock.
May 4, 2015 3:25 AM

Jan 2013
^That's interesting, since King Crimson are not really known for being symphonic, rather than eclectic with lots of influence from the whole jazz / fusion ambit.
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!
May 4, 2015 3:39 AM

Apr 2014
In the Court, and to a lesser degree the next two albums are partly symphonic, in my view. Also, I think avantgarde classical was a bigger influence on them than jazz, overall. But yeah, they touched on every side of prog.
May 4, 2015 3:20 PM

Dec 2010
I'd have to go with Floyd and Crimson. Crimson, especially, seems criminally underrated on top lists and the such. Their debut album came out in a very competitive year, ('69) after all.
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez
May 4, 2015 3:46 PM

Oct 2010
Camel is fairly good for symphonic prog., though people think that everything after Moonmadness sucks.
I disagree, since Breathless (the sellout album, apparently) has a few good songs (Summer Lightning, Echoes, The Sleeper and its cool guitar jazz combo towards the end) and Nude is awesome.

Caravan is also worth a look. They go into pop territory after For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night (Their best album IMO).
May 5, 2015 8:58 PM

Apr 2014
Any fans of Gundam and prog will find this interesting, if they hadn't already noticed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0hiaikO9Ds
May 5, 2015 10:21 PM
Jul 2012
GloriousHawk said:

Word. Fragile in its entirety has a special place in my heart.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Post a song on the above user's profile

tsukareru - Yesterday

2 by Ricchan__ »»
36 minutes ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

18 by Ricchan__ »»
43 minutes ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

11 by notPara »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite Non-Anime Shows/Movies

EverRealm - Apr 27

7 by notPara »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

20 by DOSS300 »»
Yesterday, 1:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.