Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Apr 21, 2015 6:30 PM

Apr 2012
Rasco said:
Immahnoob said:
You're just jumping steps, if I'm helping you for reasons that are not your well being but rather mine THROUGH your well being then I'm not selfless/unselfish, I'm selfish.

Considering everyone is helping another for that reason, it's impossible to attain selflessness.
I was hoping you would see that I'm pointing out the rare moments that can be selfless/unselfish. Rather than "attaining" it for all matters.
I'm saying it's impossible for any matter. It's the same thing as being "objective" or "true", we're actually just less "subjective".

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Apr 21, 2015 6:44 PM

Mar 2010
Immahnoob said:
Rasco said:
I was hoping you would see that I'm pointing out the rare moments that can be selfless/unselfish. Rather than "attaining" it for all matters.
I'm saying it's impossible for any matter. It's the same thing as being "objective" or "true", we're actually just less "subjective".
All I can find is Altruism But yeah otherwise yeah its Objective truth for you.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 21, 2015 6:47 PM

Mar 2015
Just kill yourself and get it over with.
My name is Terrence always is Terrence and will always be Terrence
Current Accounts: ThePinhead3333,
Apr 21, 2015 7:16 PM

May 2014
Psychological egoism.

Absolutely everything anyone does is selfish.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Apr 21, 2015 7:20 PM

Jun 2013
ThePinhead3333 said:

Nice tip there buddy.
Apr 21, 2015 10:21 PM

May 2012
ThePinhead3333 said:
sorry but you will have to wait your turn
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
May 28, 2016 5:09 PM

Jul 2011
I live in a pretty small town in Sweden. We've had like 5 people jump in front of the train in about 7 years now. It's disgustingly selfish to commit suicide in this way. There've been several kids who've seen heads turn into red mist and blood sprayed over the entire train. Unless you find a way to commit suicide that doesn't bother a single soul I'd say it's ultimately selfish.
May 28, 2016 5:11 PM

Oct 2015
Yes it is selfish, killing yourself won't solve anything. You aren't considering other people's feelings into the matter. Plus things always get worse before they can get better.
May 28, 2016 8:37 PM

Apr 2016
bolby said:
Maybe the selfish people are the ones stopping others from killing themselves.

Agreed. It depends on the situation but most cases are overcomplicated because people simply don't want to let others go. Thinking about how they must feel should be first priority instead of what they are "leaving behind", unless something really important is involved (children etc.).
May 29, 2016 12:59 AM

May 2015
Velkran said:
bolby said:
Maybe the selfish people are the ones stopping others from killing themselves.

Agreed. It depends on the situation but most cases are overcomplicated because people simply don't want to let others go. Thinking about how they must feel should be first priority instead of what they are "leaving behind", unless something really important is involved (children etc.).

The same logic that fuels suicide prevention is the same logic that fuels sex-entitled people. "Don't do this thing with your body that's not aimed at me! I own your body! IT'S MINE!"
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 29, 2016 1:04 AM

May 2016
Why would it? If I want to blow my brains out I should have the right and no one should complain. It's my body to do whatever with
May 29, 2016 1:11 AM

Aug 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Velkran said:

The same logic that fuels suicide prevention is the same logic that fuels sex-entitled people. "Don't do this thing with your body that's not aimed at me! I own your body! IT'S MINE!"

No....Its because they don't want someone suffering from one thing or another to die when they might still go on to live a happy life with help. Thats why prevention circles and support groups aren't gang rapes.
May 30, 2016 9:04 AM

May 2015
Spooks said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

No....Its because they don't want someone suffering from one thing or another to die when they might still go on to live a happy life with help. Thats why prevention circles and support groups aren't gang rapes.

You haven't talked to suicide preventionist while being suicidal, have you?

Their reasoning mainly stems from a sense of entitlement. Their reasoning can easily turn around to use to coerce someone into sex.

Suicidal people still have rights. Their decision to die should be respected. If it hurts you them, I don't know, fuck off? It's not you they're killing.
May 30, 2016 9:12 AM

Mar 2015
Suicide is a complicated matter. Considerations have to be made for both sides of the spectrum, both positive and negative. Suicide is a person's decision for their own life, whether it is selfish or not is determined by the people affected by it. Running away from problems or people who desperately rely on your presence is indeed selfish. I would say it is only selfish when more people are harmed by your suicide than if your were to face the issue instigating your suicide.
May 30, 2016 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
Implying the people that actually commit suicide do it out of self interest.
Is the act selfish? Maybe so.
Are the people that commit suicide selfish? No.
May 30, 2016 10:08 AM

May 2015
LordoftheHorizon said:
Suicide is a complicated matter. Considerations have to be made for both sides of the spectrum, both positive and negative. Suicide is a person's decision for their own life, whether it is selfish or not is determined by the people affected by it. Running away from problems or people who desperately rely on your presence is indeed selfish. I would say it is only selfish when more people are harmed by your suicide than if your were to face the issue instigating your suicide.

Why must a person 'face their issues'? What's the difference between dumping your lover and ending your life, in terms of ethics?

Andomarn said:

People commit suicide out of self-interest, therefore it's selfish. People also avoid rape out of self-interest, yet I wouldn't call them immoral.
May 30, 2016 10:16 AM

Apr 2016
While I do agree that it's selfish when there are people trying to help you and be there for you when needed, but there are a number of situations when even if people are there, they don't get what is happening even if you explain it to them and most times don't even care. I can understand the latter trying to end their lives when in all honesty nobody gives a shit but just pretends to do so to garner brownie points from you and your peers. In these situations people mostly just don't want to live because they don't feel loved and/or see no reason to exist. I get that.

Then there are situations where people are suffering from mental and physical incapacitates that make their life miserable. I can't even imagine to understand how hard it must be for people who suffer under these circumstances. In many of these situations there are people who care for them and want them to live because they love them. Most of the times, that pain is irreparable, so are the people who want these loved ones to live despite knowing their pain selfish? It's complicated.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 30, 2016 10:18 AM

Mar 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Why must a person 'face their issues'? What's the difference between dumping your lover and ending your life, in terms of ethics?

There is actually quite a difference, in terms of ethics you are dealing damage to society, not contributing to society instead ending your life prematurely due to being influenced by one's current emotional state. Dumping your gf, doesn't matter. Ending your life, which btw you might not get another chance at, is the incorrect way of accomplishing a suicider's objective which is to escape their current reality/identity.
May 30, 2016 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
thebraininthejar said:
Andomarn said:

People commit suicide out of self-interest, therefore it's selfish. People also avoid rape out of self-interest, yet I wouldn't call them immoral.

Lmao yes.
Because obviously people that kill themselves want to kill themselves, rite?
You probably also think that obese people want to be obese because they love food.
May 30, 2016 10:33 AM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Velkran said:

Wrong. Whether you want to believe it or not, suicide, like sexual entitlement, is a selfish act and hurts everyone involved. Suicide is often an overreaction, and the prevention of it stops suffering for everyone. Suicide and sexual entitlement are both selfish in the way that you think that you are the only one that matters and you don't care who else gets hurt along the way.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

May 30, 2016 3:14 PM

Aug 2015
Yeah, it is. It's strange to say that, but it's the truth
May 30, 2016 7:07 PM

Dec 2014
In cases where there are people who really love and care about that person,
It is selfish

But what about this,

What if they decided to continue living for other people, because their friends and/or family didn't want them to die, didn't want to deal with the grief of having someone they care about kill themselves,

would these friends and family be considered selfish?
ClawdsMay 30, 2016 7:13 PM

May 31, 2016 12:27 AM

May 2015
ThrashMatto said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Wrong. Whether you want to believe it or not, suicide, like sexual entitlement, is a selfish act and hurts everyone involved. Suicide is often an overreaction, and the prevention of it stops suffering for everyone. Suicide and sexual entitlement are both selfish in the way that you think that you are the only one that matters and you don't care who else gets hurt along the way.

Because rejecting someone sexually isn't thinking only about yourself?

But no, people own their bodies and owe nothing to anyone else. If you think someone shouldn't kill themselves because it will hurt you, you're entitlted.

No one chose to be born. Consent also applies to living and dying.

Andomarn said:
thebraininthejar said:

Lmao yes.
Because obviously people that kill themselves want to kill themselves, rite?
You probably also think that obese people want to be obese because they love food.

People who kill themselves want to kill themselves or else they wouldn't be able to overcome the survival instinct.

You haven't read Sanctioned Suicide and alt.suicide.holiday? It's a whole brigade of people dying for the right to die

bikers123 said:
While I do agree that it's selfish when there are people trying to help you and be there for you when needed, but there are a number of situations when even if people are there, they don't get what is happening even if you explain it to them and most times don't even care. I can understand the latter trying to end their lives when in all honesty nobody gives a shit but just pretends to do so to garner brownie points from you and your peers. In these situations people mostly just don't want to live because they don't feel loved and/or see no reason to exist. I get that.

Then there are situations where people are suffering from mental and physical incapacitates that make their life miserable. I can't even imagine to understand how hard it must be for people who suffer under these circumstances. In many of these situations there are people who care for them and want them to live because they love them. Most of the times, that pain is irreparable, so are the people who want these loved ones to live despite knowing their pain selfish? It's complicated.

I met these people who help you while you are suicidal. They will never put direct effort into improving your life. They only want to talk to you out of it or tell you to go see a shrink. The more I talked to them, the more they revealed they're concerned primarily with how they'll feel in the end.

LordoftheHorizon said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

There is actually quite a difference, in terms of ethics you are dealing damage to society, not contributing to society instead ending your life prematurely due to being influenced by one's current emotional state. Dumping your gf, doesn't matter. Ending your life, which btw you might not get another chance at, is the incorrect way of accomplishing a suicider's objective which is to escape their current reality/identity.

What does one owe society? Why must someone contribute to a society they never chose to be a part of, and doesn't care about the person?

If you think suicide happens just under the influence of one's current emotional state, I suggest reading Sanctioned Suicide.

So what if you don't get another chance at life? Many people are happy about this. We don't want another life.

Death is the complete escape from reality, so it solves the problem.
May 31, 2016 12:36 AM
Jul 2018
it is technically, but that doesn't make it any less of an important issue that certainly needs to be addressed more often. people need to learn to understand the rooting of the mentally ill individuals who resort to suicide as an option, listen to their reasons whether it be posthumously or after an attempt. these people often have some kind of trauma or event, even a chain of them, and usually a mental health issue as well, that leads them to make the decision to either think about suicide, attempt to off themselves, or actually take their life.
May 31, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Because rejecting someone sexually isn't thinking only about yourself?

But no, people own their bodies and owe nothing to anyone else. If you think someone shouldn't kill themselves because it will hurt you, you're entitlted.

No one chose to be born. Consent also applies to living and dying.

Amazing way of missing the point, can't say I'm surprised though.

No one chooses not to be born either, I'm getting tired of reading your flawed logic in nearly every thread I see you post in.

People who kill themselves want to kill themselves or else they wouldn't be able to overcome the survival instinct.

You haven't read Sanctioned Suicide and alt.suicide.holiday? It's a whole brigade of people dying for the right to die

Not exactly true, why do you think there are so many "failed" suicides? Because people chicken out, they don't cut deep enough, or they don't stay in an air tight room filled with carbon monoxide for long enough.
No one wants to die, there'll be reasons in their lives that might make them feel like dying is the best option at times, but if those reasons could be resolved, do you think they'd still want to off themselves?

Of course, I don't expect you to acknowledge any of that. Arguing with you is a bit like arguing with a parrot that thinks it just needs to simply keep repeating itself until the other person gets bored and leaves, and therefore the argument is "won".

I'm pretty sure no one aside from edgy, whiny teenagers reads sanctioned suicide or whatever fucking Reddit sub-boards there are for attention seeking emos obsessed with the idea of suicide.

I don't see how I missed the logic. If people can't choose to be born, shouldn't they at least be able to choose to die?

Suicides fail because no method is surefire:
http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/statistics-most-lethal-methods

"No one wants to die" - You are not in any position to decide for anyone else

"but if those reasons could be resolved, do you think they'd still want to off themselves?" - But what's so bad about dying, anyway? Why are we against people killing themselves out of their own will, besides the fact we're left to suffer the loss?

Is this ad hominem attack really improves your case?

Is writing off people as a bunch of 'whiny edgy teenagers' (Most of them are grown men with chronic illnesses, actually) helping your case?
May 31, 2016 3:25 AM

May 2016
It's not selfish if you don't affect someone after you died (like your parents or something)...

You're not the one who's wrong! It's the world! This world is selfish :_: (Hahaha~ don't take this seriously :P)
May 31, 2016 1:45 PM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I don't see how I missed the logic. If people can't choose to be born, shouldn't they at least be able to choose to die?

Suicides fail because no method is surefire:
http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/statistics-most-lethal-methods

"No one wants to die" - You are not in any position to decide for anyone else

"but if those reasons could be resolved, do you think they'd still want to off themselves?" - But what's so bad about dying, anyway? Why are we against people killing themselves out of their own will, besides the fact we're left to suffer the loss?

Is this ad hominem attack really improves your case?

Is writing off people as a bunch of 'whiny edgy teenagers' (Most of them are grown men with chronic illnesses, actually) helping your case?

No one is saying people can't choose to die, there are people (including myself) saying it's a stupid choice in nearly all cases. There's a difference between having an opinion on something, and chaining someone up and preventing them from dying by force feeding them, since that seems to be the logic you're going on in regards to "forcing people to live".

Suicide more commonly fails because the person doesn't really want to die. I think I trust the anecdotes of myself and people that have actually attempted suicide, over a whiny-arse that overly romanticises suicide, but never actually attempts it because he has no intention of actually ending his life.

You're in no position to decide that either, you have no experience, and you always go off your own warped logic and view of the world to decide your opinions for you.

Because there's no reason for people to kill themselves for no reason. If you really think the only reason why people don't enjoy other people offing themselves is because "it'd make them feel bad", then I honestly pity the low opinion you have of humanity,

Ah, of course you'd be bringing in the ol' terms such as "ad hominem" and "strawman" that you love so dearly. How else can you be so intellectually superior and rational if you can't use argumentative terms that you don't know the definition of?

I'm not writing off every supposedly suicidal person as a "whiny edgy teenager", mostly I'm just referring to you and your angsty, narrow minded bullshit that you keep repeating on these forums over and over and over ad nauseum for the past 6-8 months or so.
People that seriously want their lives to end, do it. They don't whine and bitch about how "woe is me" on online forums for months on end, their life is so unbearable that they just go with the first method they can find.
There's a difference between suicidal thoughts, and actually being suicidal.

You think it's a stupid choice, but you only lived your life. It's stupid to think dying is stupid for a person whose life you didn't live. It's like telling someone that they find beefsteak disgusting - it's not your mouth that's tasting the food.

I think I'll trust a list and a site that details suicide methods and doesn't demonize people for wanting to die over a single anecdote of you. Plenty of ASH/SancSuicide people killed themselves. There are goodbyes everywhere there.

'warped logic' is just name-calling.

Yes, I do think the only reason people are against suicide is because suicide causes grief and terrible agony for those left behind. Anytime I talk to a pro-life-er it always returns to how everyone will feel, how the people who don't live the suicidal's life should decide for them to live and so forth. Compassion is letting people go.

Attacking my usage of terms without explaining why they're wrongly used isn't an argument.

You call me narrow-minded, yet my philosophy allows more room for personal choices than yours. You call it 'whining', but what if the situation is really that bad? It's so easy to write off pessimistic philosophy as 'whining' because optimism is in our genes - defense mechanism. Survival is tougher if we think life is meaningless and we're hardwired to survive.

But I don't see this as an actual argument against my pessimistic worldview. It's ad hominem attacks because the arguments behind the philosophy (Highly varied) aren't disproved by calling someone 'whiny'.

"People that seriously want their lives to end, do it." - Why do you think it's so easy?

No, suicidal people don't go with the first method they can find. They sometimes plan, set up dates and so forth. That's how they hide it.
May 31, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
I do think the only reason people are against suicide is because suicide causes grief and terrible agony for those left behind
Because it's an inherently selfish action

edit: also, please learn what Ad Hominem means if you're going to use it. I often find that people that resort to "your argument is invalid because x logical fallacy" don't actually understand the logical fallacy and use it to make themselves sound smarter while also ignoring the argument that is give. Try debunking something before throwing around logical fallacy claims.
ThrashMattoMay 31, 2016 4:50 PM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

May 31, 2016 5:36 PM

Oct 2012
SnugglyWhuggly said:
If they're desperate enough, they do. How exactly do you "hide" a suicide? Even if you throw yourself off a cliff, there's a chance your body isn't going to just get washed away out to sea and eaten by wildlife. Someone is going to have to clean up after you, in almost all cases.

By that logic, people that die of old age are selfish because people will most definitely have to deal with the body. People are going to clean up after you regardless of how you exit the world.

I can play Devils advocate here and say that, atleast with suicide, you can pick a method that will minimize your inconvience on the lives of others.

I'm not particularly for or against suicide.
May 31, 2016 5:56 PM

Jan 2014
FontSize72LOL said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:
If they're desperate enough, they do. How exactly do you "hide" a suicide? Even if you throw yourself off a cliff, there's a chance your body isn't going to just get washed away out to sea and eaten by wildlife. Someone is going to have to clean up after you, in almost all cases.

By that logic, people that die of old age are selfish because people will most definitely have to deal with the body. People are going to clean up after you regardless of how you exit the world.

I can play Devils advocate here and say that, atleast with suicide, you can pick a method that will minimize your inconvience on the lives of others.

I'm not particularly for or against suicide.

Suicide is a willful action, dying of old age is not. The latter can not possibly be selfish.
With suicide you are willfully not giving a shit about other people, including the person who finds you.
With dying of old age you don't have a choice.
ThrashMattoMay 31, 2016 11:37 PM
I love Christine

May 31, 2016 11:57 PM

Jul 2013
selfish smelfish, does it really matter?

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 1, 2016 12:17 AM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
You think it's a stupid choice, but you only lived your life. It's stupid to think dying is stupid for a person whose life you didn't live. It's like telling someone that they find beefsteak disgusting - it's not your mouth that's tasting the food.

I think I'll trust a list and a site that details suicide methods and doesn't demonize people for wanting to die over a single anecdote of you. Plenty of ASH/SancSuicide people killed themselves. There are goodbyes everywhere there.

'warped logic' is just name-calling.

Yes, I do think the only reason people are against suicide is because suicide causes grief and terrible agony for those left behind. Anytime I talk to a pro-life-er it always returns to how everyone will feel, how the people who don't live the suicidal's life should decide for them to live and so forth. Compassion is letting people go.

Attacking my usage of terms without explaining why they're wrongly used isn't an argument.

You call me narrow-minded, yet my philosophy allows more room for personal choices than yours. You call it 'whining', but what if the situation is really that bad? It's so easy to write off pessimistic philosophy as 'whining' because optimism is in our genes - defense mechanism. Survival is tougher if we think life is meaningless and we're hardwired to survive.

But I don't see this as an actual argument against my pessimistic worldview. It's ad hominem attacks because the arguments behind the philosophy (Highly varied) aren't disproved by calling someone 'whiny'.

"People that seriously want their lives to end, do it." - Why do you think it's so easy?

No, suicidal people don't go with the first method they can find. They sometimes plan, set up dates and so forth. That's how they hide it.

I don't think angsty teens and despondent young adults in their 20s generally have hopeless lives. If someone wants to end their life, that's their choice, I've never been against people wanting to kill themselves if they really want to, contrary to what you seem to think. As I've said a million times before, I just think these people are selfish morons.

Yeah, because people writing "goodbye" threads must obviously mean they're going to kill themselves, rather than just seeking attention or simply leaving the site.

Warped logic is what you possess, none of your "logic" makes logical sense, ironically enough.

Then you're an even bigger idiot than I originally suspected.
"Compassion is letting people go" - You're right, you should totally allow that moronic teen to kill themselves over their precious iPhone breaking on them. Darwinism and all that.

You're not even providing a decent argument in the first place, I can't be bothered to put too much effort into an argument against a brick wall.

Do you even know what narrow-minded means?
No, the situation really isn't that bad. I don't know you personally, but it seems to me you have access to the internet, and most likely a computer. You have a job, family, social life, enjoy entertainment and I assume you're able to feed and shelter yourself with little difficulty. If your situation is "bad" in that "I want to kill myself because I can't get laid", then I'm afraid that not many people are going to take you very seriously.

I could write an essay of why your pessimistic worldview is bullshit, but you're not worth the effort, and I've already explained several times before why it's flawed. I've said it before, I don't enjoy constantly repeating myself.

It's easy once you're at the brink, but you wouldn't know that, you've never been there, despite being such a suicide fetishist. Shame on you.

So what if their life isn't hopeless? That's not a reason not to kill yourself. If you think 'hopelessness' is all there is to it, you don't understand suicide. People kill themselves because they don't want to live, for the same reason people drop anime or dump their significant others or return a gift. Their reasons for suicide are varied. It doesn't matter WHY someone kill themselves - their body, their choice, none of our business.

Brick wall/warped logic= not an argument

People don't kill themselves over their parents not getting them an iPhone. I hear the stereotypes, but I never see it in action.

"If your situation is "bad" in that "I want to kill myself because I can't get laid", then I'm afraid that not many people are going to take you very seriously." - And I care about these people because...? It's called 'consent', and I don't care how good my life looks from the outside. If I find it's not worth the effort, I'll kill myself. I'm not losing anything by dying since I won't be alive to experience the loss. Also, sex is important for psychological well-being.

"I can but I won't!" not an argument

I've been on the brink, and you don't have to be on the brink to kill yourself. My method is easy once I have it. It'll just be a matter of time when I'm tired.

You 'hide' your plans by not speaking about them, waiting for the specific time you can do it without leaving a general mess. Sometimes you give stuff away. In a lot of stories people wait for a specific occasion to do it. They also choose a method or a place that makes it easier to clean up.

ThrashMatto said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I do think the only reason people are against suicide is because suicide causes grief and terrible agony for those left behind
Because it's an inherently selfish action

edit: also, please learn what Ad Hominem means if you're going to use it. I often find that people that resort to "your argument is invalid because x logical fallacy" don't actually understand the logical fallacy and use it to make themselves sound smarter while also ignoring the argument that is give. Try debunking something before throwing around logical fallacy claims.

Calling me 'narrow-minded' or such things is ad hominem since it's about me, not the argument

Also, yes, suicide is selfish but we're no less selfish than anyone who rejected us. Why do the Beautiful People are allowed to be selfish, and not us? Ironically, suicidal people discuss a lot clean methods and ways to make it easier. We're not that selfish.

Suicide prevention is also willfully not giving a shit about another. If you care about someone, you respect their choices. You don't rape a girl you love and you don't stop a suicide - both include violation of bodily autonomy.
Jun 1, 2016 8:14 AM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Calling me 'narrow-minded' or such things is ad hominem since it's about me, not the argument
No, that's not an ad hominem

An ad hominem would be:
"You are narrow minded therefor your argument is bad" = what was not used
not
"You are narrow minded because of your argument" = what was used
That's just name calling

Learn the difference if you're going to use debate terminology to make yourself appear smarter and deflect the argument at hand.

TheBrainintheJar said:
She never said that, stop making strawmans when you're so concerned about calling other people out on their logical fallacies.

Side note: Suicide prevention does not equal rape, you sick fuck. Get over this "beautiful people" shit already.
ThrashMattoJun 1, 2016 11:36 AM
I love Christine

Jun 1, 2016 3:02 PM

Mar 2015
If you are aware that family and or friends would mourn ur death then yes. If your alone in the world then no.

On another note, I'd also like to state that it's up to the person or not if they would consider doing so or not. Unless they have a mental illness to consider such a thing then by all means offer them as much help as you want.
Jun 1, 2016 3:03 PM

May 2015
ThrashMatto said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
No, that's not an ad hominem

An ad hominem would be:
"You are narrow minded therefor your argument is bad" = what was not used
not
"You are narrow minded because of your argument" = what was used
That's just name calling

Learn the difference if you're going to use debate terminology to make yourself appear smarter and deflect the argument at hand.

TheBrainintheJar said:
She never said that, stop making strawmans when you're so concerned about calling other people out on their logical fallacies.

Side note: Suicide prevention does not equal rape, you sick fuck. Get over this "beautiful people" shit already.

Calling what you did name-calling isn't improving your case. Name-calling is even worse than ad hominem. Ad hominem at least tries to discredit the argument by attacking the person.

Direct quote:
"I could write an essay of why your pessimistic worldview is bullshit, but you're not worth the effort"

Suicide prevention by force IS equal to rape since it's forcing your ideas upon a body that doesn't belong to you. You don't want that person to die, so you ignore their wishes and take their gun away/rip off their exit bag. Not different than "I don't care that you don't want sex, I will have it my way"

SnugglyWhuggly said:
@TheBrainintheJar, you're basically the living broken record at this point. You've had things explained to you over and over by countless people, but still you stick to your biased viewpoints and relying solely on anecdotal evidence, and anything you "haven't seen for yourself simply can't be true!".
Arguing with you is a bit like arguing with someone that the sky is blue: "NO IT'S NOT!!! IT'S PURPLE 'CAUSE I SEE IT AS PURPLE AND EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG!!!"

Because you back it with more evidence that's not anecdotal? I don't know how to respond to this personal attack. This thread isn't about me, but about suicide.
Jun 1, 2016 3:48 PM

Aug 2013
Guys arguing with him is pointless. Ive tried, other have tried.

You tell him an alternative view to his frankly fringe based ideology he'll point you to the two websites which directly support and gather people who think similar. Fuck I could do that with anything and declare everyone thinks the same. Give me 5 minutes and ill show you a website where all the women on it say men should be castrated and then tell you all women in the world think the same. Present alternative websites that aren't dedicated to being echo chambers to one ideology on it and it will be ignored.

If a person gives their view who has had history of mental illness and/or suicide attempts he will point them again back to the two forums dedicated to supporting his stance and then continue to ignore them. Tell him hes wrong without being a depressive or having suicide attempts under your belt and you'll be dismissed with "You've never talked to a suicidal person have you" or "You don't know" hence you can't win either way.

There are plenty I wish to say on it but can't, or shouldn't. I will say I consider one of the worst types of people to be ones who say practice what I say not what I do. going around telling potentially vulnerable people that killing themselves is the best, the greatest opinion that they should do it, that carry in on life and fighting is meaningless whilst constantly living their life that goes against the same ideology. Its like those cult leaders who tell their followers to drink the poison we're in this together we're the same! and then get arrested because they don't drink themselves because they don't buy their own bull and that type of two faced attitude on something like this disgusts me and im sure others to the core.

but this topic is way too close to home for me to get involved with. I couldn't guarantee continual objectivity. So I just avoid it now.

I'll just say no he does not speak for us.
SpooksJun 1, 2016 3:59 PM
Jun 1, 2016 4:34 PM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Suicide prevention by force IS equal to rape since it's forcing your ideas upon a body that doesn't belong to you.

1. Nobody said anything about "by force", you moron
2. I really couldn't give two fucks if you killed yourself

Spooks said:

As somebody who has attempted suicide, I agree he doesn't.
ThrashMattoJun 1, 2016 4:41 PM
I love Christine

Jun 1, 2016 5:37 PM
Feb 2016
Depends who you are. If you are a homeless man with no one loving you then no, but if you are a father with a family depending on you then yes.

But either way suicide is a stupid option for anyone.
Jun 1, 2016 6:46 PM

Aug 2013
ThrashMatto said:

Spooks said:

I'll just say for vulnerable or easily influenced people they should defiantly not practice what he preaches and he really should start preaching what he *actually* practices. which isn't what he currently preaches for others.
Jun 2, 2016 9:56 AM

Apr 2016
I think a person who does commit suicide has an internal struggle going on for way too long... It's not like they don't think they might hurt someone if they kill themselves, it is just that they pain they are going through is unbearable..
Not that I am saying it is the best way to go about things but I wouldn't necessarily call it selfish.
Jun 2, 2016 10:12 AM

Nov 2015
Suicide is acting in your best interests which may or may not exclude the will of others. By that definition, suicide is a selfish act.

Seriously though, it's a tautology at this point that each act is a selfish one. Why are we debating it?
Jun 2, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2012
It's impossible to take a non-selfish action.

The morality of suicide shouldn't be argued by trying to make the argument about something else. You're not arguing about the virtues of being selfish, you're arguing about the morality of taking your own life. Whether or not suicide is "selfish" has no bearing on the morality of suicide.

Keep the conversation where you want it.
Jun 2, 2016 12:19 PM
Jan 2015
Unpopular opinion or not, no. I think everyone should have the right to end their lives, to be honest. It's not like any of us asked to be born. If life's too shitty to go on, kill yourself. It's your life.

Or, well. I guess it could be considered selfish, but not more than living should be. After all we all should lead selfish lives in the sense that we live for ourselves and not for others.
Jun 2, 2016 12:32 PM

Oct 2015
I don't see what is the point in doing it I just see that people who do it need something to keep them in check or interested in living such as a good home cooked meal or something to be into like a hobby or interest. Usually people do it because they have no joy life they might as well create it something they can live for rather than kill themselves.

I would join the military instead and die fighting for a cause if I were such a person.
Jun 2, 2016 2:44 PM

May 2015
Spooks said:
Guys arguing with him is pointless. Ive tried, other have tried.

You tell him an alternative view to his frankly fringe based ideology he'll point you to the two websites which directly support and gather people who think similar. Fuck I could do that with anything and declare everyone thinks the same. Give me 5 minutes and ill show you a website where all the women on it say men should be castrated and then tell you all women in the world think the same. Present alternative websites that aren't dedicated to being echo chambers to one ideology on it and it will be ignored.

If a person gives their view who has had history of mental illness and/or suicide attempts he will point them again back to the two forums dedicated to supporting his stance and then continue to ignore them. Tell him hes wrong without being a depressive or having suicide attempts under your belt and you'll be dismissed with "You've never talked to a suicidal person have you" or "You don't know" hence you can't win either way.

There are plenty I wish to say on it but can't, or shouldn't. I will say I consider one of the worst types of people to be ones who say practice what I say not what I do. going around telling potentially vulnerable people that killing themselves is the best, the greatest opinion that they should do it, that carry in on life and fighting is meaningless whilst constantly living their life that goes against the same ideology. Its like those cult leaders who tell their followers to drink the poison we're in this together we're the same! and then get arrested because they don't drink themselves because they don't buy their own bull and that type of two faced attitude on something like this disgusts me and im sure others to the core.

but this topic is way too close to home for me to get involved with. I couldn't guarantee continual objectivity. So I just avoid it now.

I do not think suicide is the best. I may assign life overall a negative value, but everyone decides on their own whether their life is worth living or not. The moment I decide for another that their life isn't worth living, I justify murder.

ASH/SancSuicide are no less biased than anti-suicide websites. The difference is, these sites are uncensored. Anti-suicide sites won't let you question the ideology of pro-life. ASH/SancSuicide are born out of questioning.

Everyone keeps dismissing these sites without reading them. How can you call them biased?

You are not 'us'. When I say 'us', I'm talking about all the posters who want the right to die. I know there are suicidal people who don't really want to die and we're not telling them what to do. We're just tired of everyone telling us what to do.

ThrashMatto said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Suicide prevention by force IS equal to rape since it's forcing your ideas upon a body that doesn't belong to you.

1. Nobody said anything about "by force", you moron
2. I really couldn't give two fucks if you killed yourself

Spooks said:

Your anecdote doesn't disprove people have a right to kill themselves and don't prove suicide is by nature irrational or bad for the person committing it.

Suicide prevention by brainwashing - by trying to convince people not to die is very close to bullying. Telling people what they really want, going over and over how irrational they are - doesn't it sound a little like gaslighting?

Cucky said:
Nobody asked to be born into this world. You don't owe your life to anyone unless you have kids. There are selfish means of killing yourself such as jumping in front of a train or leaving a mess as a surprise for someone to stumble upon. More than anything though it's selfish to expect someone to hang around when they're going through a chronic illness be it physical or mental. A lot of people who judge someone for offing themselves probably wouldn't lift a finger to help them come out of their state of mind or situation unless they were close. Not everyone has a stable support system and sometimes even that isn't enough.

I don't mean to encourage suicide. I just think it's really shitty when people judge those who thought ending their lives was a better alternative to living.

Train/jumping methods are often discouraged in suicide communities since they leave a huge mess and affect more people. Even shotguns are fairly discouraged. In general, suicide communities rose because we want to exit the world without living pieces for others to pick up. Suicide hurts others, but you should do what you can to ease the pain.
Jun 2, 2016 3:35 PM

Jun 2015
There isn't such a thing as "living against your will". That's pure nonsense. All living beings have an instinct to survive. If someone wants to die, that means he would prefer to have lived differently. He is running away from his OWN life, not life itself.

Nobody really wants to die. What they want is to live a good life. Suicide is a method of giving up on the life they are currently living.
Jun 2, 2016 6:05 PM

Jan 2014
@TheBrainintheJar
Look, you seem be confusing what I'm saying for being anti-right to die so I'll lay out my beliefs for you:
1. I believe in the right to die, and think it should be enshrined in law
2. I believe suicide should not be illegal, as it currently is in most countries
3. I believe doctor assisted suicide should only be available for those who are terminal or can not live a decent life without medical assistance
4. I believe suicide, unless in the 2 instances above, is inherently stupid and selfish
5. I believe that stupid and selfish actions should be openly discouraged, therefor:
6. I believe that suicide should be openly discouraged
7. I give zero fucks about anybody but the people I care about killing themselves
8. I am anti-suicide, not anti-right to die. Just as I'm anti-abortion, but am pro-choice. Learn the difference.

You can say whatever fringe ideological and borderline sociopathic shit you want but I refuse to let you misrepresent me, accuse me of "gaslighting" (which is bullshit anyway) and equate me to being a rapist because I disagree with suicide. As somebody who has attempted suicide I find somebody who hasn't attempted it telling that I don't understand suicide to be laughable. I believe you are not mentally well, I'll be blunt about that, but that doesn't mean I'll hold my opinions back and silence myself for fear of you calling me a "bully". You can use this "you're either with us or you're against us" mentality all you want, it's not convincing anyone. Grow up and stop playing the victim.
ThrashMattoJun 2, 2016 8:16 PM
I love Christine

Jun 3, 2016 6:43 AM

May 2015
ThrashMatto said:
@TheBrainintheJar
Look, you seem be confusing what I'm saying for being anti-right to die so I'll lay out my beliefs for you:
2. I believe suicide should not be illegal, as it currently is in most countries
3. I believe doctor assisted suicide should only be available for those who are terminal or can not live a decent life without medical assistance
4. I believe suicide, unless in the 2 instances above, is inherently stupid and selfish
5. I believe that stupid and selfish actions should be openly discouraged, therefor:
7. I give zero fucks about anybody but the people I care about killing themselves
8. I am anti-suicide, not anti-right to die. Just as I'm anti-abortion, but am pro-choice. Learn the difference.

You can say whatever fringe ideological and borderline sociopathic shit you want but I refuse to let you misrepresent me, accuse me of "gaslighting" (which is bullshit anyway) and equate me to being a rapist because I disagree with suicide. As somebody who has attempted suicide I find somebody who hasn't attempted it telling that I don't understand suicide to be laughable. I believe you are not mentally well, I'll be blunt about that, but that doesn't mean I'll hold my opinions back and silence myself for fear of you calling me a "bully". You can use this "you're either with us or you're against us" mentality all you want, it's not convincing anyone. Grow up and stop playing the victim.

3. Then you do not believe in the right to die. There's no reason to withhold euthanasia from anyone. Just because someone is terminally ill doesn't give them extra rights. I didn't choose to be born, just like the terminally ill. Why can't I get euthanasia?

4. So what?

5. Go ahead and discourage people from doing what they want with their own bodies. You're only coming off as entitled.

I did not accuse you specifically of gaslighting. I said that suicide prevention can easily succumb into gaslighting - based on anecdotes I heard, this is how it goes. People act like the suicidal's vision is completely disconnected from reality. They don't take actions, but merely bully them into believing life is great.

I did not say you're like a rapist. I said people who use force to prevent suicide are.

I don't care about your personal anecdote. All it proves is that not all suicidal people are sure about this, and that assisted suicide should have a small waiting period. I'm for htis.

Call me mentally ill all you want, but if you expect me to return with personal insults and attacking your character then no. I'm not sinking that low.

AltoRoark said:
There isn't such a thing as "living against your will". That's pure nonsense. All living beings have an instinct to survive. If someone wants to die, that means he would prefer to have lived differently. He is running away from his OWN life, not life itself.

Nobody really wants to die. What they want is to live a good life. Suicide is a method of giving up on the life they are currently living.

Survival instinct is something we're hardwired for. The same goes with eating. It doesn't mean we necessarily like it. People shouldn't be slaves to their genes. Deciding for someone that because of survival instincts they're not allowed to die is a bit like the anti-gay argument.

Like many, you miss the crucial point. We never chose to be born. We don't owe anything to the world and the world does owe us euthanasia for how it forced us into this place. If you can't respect a suicidal's person wish to die, why should he respect your wish to live?
Jun 3, 2016 7:08 AM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
ThrashMatto said:
@TheBrainintheJar

3. Then you do not believe in the right to die. There's no reason to withhold euthanasia from anyone. Just because someone is terminally ill doesn't give them extra rights. I didn't choose to be born, just like the terminally ill. Why can't I get euthanasia?

4. So what?

5. Go ahead and discourage people from doing what they want with their own bodies. You're only coming off as entitled.

I did not accuse you specifically of gaslighting. I said that suicide prevention can easily succumb into gaslighting - based on anecdotes I heard, this is how it goes. People act like the suicidal's vision is completely disconnected from reality. They don't take actions, but merely bully them into believing life is great.

I did not say you're like a rapist. I said people who use force to prevent suicide are.

I don't care about your personal anecdote. All it proves is that not all suicidal people are sure about this, and that assisted suicide should have a small waiting period. I'm for htis.

Call me mentally ill all you want, but if you expect me to return with personal insults and attacking your character then no. I'm not sinking that low.

No true scotsmaning it up I see. Just because I don't think that the healthcare system should waste valuable resources on ending depressed people's lives through doctor-assisted suicide doesn't mean I am not for the right to die. As I said, suicide should not be illegal, so if somebody wants to kill themselves, fine, go ahead, nobody should stop you. However don't expect a doctor to be the one to put you down, do it yourself. Like smoking, suicide should be discouraged because it is selfish, stupid and bad for your health.

Also yes, you lumped me into the gaslighting rapists the moment you said that people who are for the prevention of suicide, as I am, are gaslighting rapists. Way to have cognitive dissonance. Also yes, I can attack you personally and go after your character because they tie into your selfish belief system, and lol at "I'm not sinking that low" when you say "You're only coming off as entitled." You are mentally ill, that much should be apparent to anyone, to be honest it seems like you have narcissistic personality disorder and persecutory delusions, I'm sure there's more.

Look, you can be for the right to die & have controls over doctor assisted suicide, such as having it be used for terminally ill people, people in a coma, and people who's likes are heavily impaired to the point where they need constant or near constant medical assistance to some semblance of a life. This is what most right-to-die organizations are for, not your twisted sense that anyone who suddenly decides life is shit can go to a doctor and be put down. You are an extremist.
ThrashMattoJun 3, 2016 9:17 AM
I love Christine

Jun 3, 2016 7:35 AM

May 2015
ThrashMatto said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

4. So what?

No true scotsmaning it up I see. Just because I don't think that the healthcare system should waste valuable resources on ending depressed people's lives through doctor-assisted suicide doesn't mean I am not for the right to die. As I said, suicide should not be illegal, so if somebody wants to kill themselves, fine, go ahead, nobody should stop you. However don't expect a doctor to be the one to put you down, do it yourself. Like smoking, suicide should be discouraged because it is selfish, stupid and bad for your health.

Also yes, you lumped me into the gaslighting rapists the moment you said that people who are for the prevention of suicide, as I am, are gaslighting rapists. Way to have cognitive dissonance. Also yes, I can attack you personally and go after your character because they tie into your selfish belief system, and lol at "I'm not sinking that low" when you say "You're only coming off as entitled." You are mentally ill, that much should be apparent to anyone, to be honest is seems like you have narcissistic personality disorder and persecutory delusions, I'm sure there's more.

Look, you can be for the right to die & have controls over doctor assisted suicide, such as having it be used for terminally ill people, people in a coma, and people who's likes are heavily impaired to the point where they need constant or near constant medical assistance to some semblance of a life. This is what most right-to-die organizations are for, not your twisted sense that anyone who suddenly decides like is shit can go to a doctor and be put down. You are an extremist.

How much money would Nembutal or lethal injections cost? They sure cost less than psychiatric/psychological treatment. Sure, you may not want to be pay for it but I also don't to pay for others spawning children. If people have the right to force children into the world, why not add the right to die?

Also, any other suicide method isn't surefire and can cause a lot of damage to the environment. AS makes the process less difficult for everyone. People wouldn't have to waste pills (saves money), or jump in front of trains (save trauma).

I outlined in my previous post about the differences in suicide prevention. Unless you actually did any of that, then don't consider the insult directed at you. 'Gaslighting' is actually more approriately directed at therapists - they're supposed to be better at this. Unless you used force to stop a suicide, you're nothing like a rapist.

Claiming the 'selfish' in suicide is wrong shows entitlement. People don't owe you their lives. Sure, you might get bummed because a person you love killed themselves. You also get bummed with sexual rejection. That's your demons to deal with.

A person being mentally ill isn't an argument why he's wrong. I might be. I might even be hallucinating. But if a person on LSD told you the sun is up during the day, is he wrong? Even a stopped clock...

Why do the termianlly ill get euthanasia, and I don't? Why do they have this extra right? What crime have I committed that I don't get a peaceful death?

I don't understand what 'extremist' is supposed to mean here. So what?
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» WHO THE FUCK IS FUNDING ALL THOSE HERO WARS ADS YOU SEE ON LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE

vasipi4946 - 2 hours ago

4 by Rhae »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - 5 hours ago

9 by Freshell »»
34 minutes ago

» Favorite MAL thread maker?

barababas - May 4

23 by Zarutaku »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in prophecies?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

7 by Zarutaku »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - May 3

47 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.