just a suggestion

Apr 13, 2015 5:59 PM

Aug 2012
For PVs and trailers?
Apr 13, 2015 6:02 PM

Feb 2014
julyan said:
For PVs and trailers?

Sure but also for other files that I have that I would like to be able to be posted here

Apr 13, 2015 6:22 PM

Jun 2010
Insert "impossible to do with the current outdated BB_code architecture" argument here.
You'd need either html or the [video] tag for it to work.

So why can't we change to phpBB or html? (like suggested multiple times on this sub-forum)
[Insert one of the many excuses here]

Welcome to MAL.
Apr 13, 2015 6:23 PM
May 2014
Anti_Meta said:
julyan said:
For PVs and trailers?

Sure but also for other files that I have that I would like to be able to be posted here

Yes, we need some webm abilities.
Preferably enabling sound on them too.
Apr 13, 2015 9:18 PM

Feb 2013
I'd love it for my sig, cause gif sucks.

If MALs bbcode parser isn't a total pile of trash (wishful thinking?) it should be pretty easy to add.

The real problem is the video tag itself. It's just badly defined and doesn't support fallback content. When should you allow autoplay (would be useless for sigs without it)? When not (I don't want to open a thread and have 50000 videos start autoplaying)? It will be abused, especially if you ever allow sound by default (I would default to muted).
Apr 13, 2015 9:22 PM

Jan 2009
i already suggested it a year ago - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1287185 lets see if MAL will do it now, but im having doubts since they cannot even update the youtube video bbcodes to handle HTML5 videos of youtube and i doubt that is very hard to do
Apr 13, 2015 9:28 PM

Nov 2010
j0x said:
i already suggested it a year ago - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1287185 lets see if MAL will do it now, but im having doubts since they cannot even update the youtube video bbcodes to handle HTML5 videos of youtube and i doubt that is very hard to do
They cannot? Or they have not?
Apr 14, 2015 8:46 AM

Jan 2013
You can't add HTML5 Vid and WebM on a whim, both have shown exploits down our favorite hacker's lane. Either tag would have to be Whitelisted, audio disabled (at least for WebM), etc. and having a high hope that a third-party site (tumblr, etc.) blocks all hidden scripts that could potentially exploit MAL.

It's not really a question of "cannot", more so "have not". Personally I would lay this off too, at least till a lot of other bugs on MAL are fixed. The restrictions that would have to be placed would make it hardly any different to the current [yt] tag, besides allowing a more compact extension.

As BurntJelly already addressed the fallback issue, from my understanding IE, Apple (Safari, Istuff), and older devices still don't support WebM. Except with a third-party add-on, which have been exploited on a number of occasions, from my last reading. Please correct me if this has been resolved.

I don't know the stats, but I'm probably not far off with saying around 20% of browsers don't support it, and a large portion of mobile users as well. The agenda so far has been to make the site easier accessible for all devices. Adding a media that doesn't support all would kinda go against that line of thought.

Don't understand me wrong, I know that both HTML5 Vid and WebM are supposed to be mobile friendly and use up less memory. Just safeguards would have to be put in place to prevent exploits.
Apr 14, 2015 12:16 PM

Mar 2008
^
Why even mention Internet Explorer? Even Microsoft abandoned it.
Apr 14, 2015 12:40 PM

Oct 2009
traed said:
^
Why even mention Internet Explorer? Even Microsoft abandoned it.

They still support it though
Apr 14, 2015 2:35 PM

Jun 2010
And there you have, The Excuses.
Apr 14, 2015 5:02 PM

Aug 2012
I'd rather hear the excuses than be ignored without knowing why.
Apr 14, 2015 5:54 PM

Jun 2010
julyan said:
I'd rather hear the excuses than be ignored without knowing why.

Makes me wonder what's the difference. Everything that needs a little bit of admin commitment and experimentation here will always be denied.
Staying silent or repeating the same patterned reasons "too much trouble for the overloaded staff" (1st paragraph) or "there are more important bugs/fixes" (2nd paragraph) for me is the same.
You guys also love to deny a bunch of suggestions with exceptions. This would work marvelously well for the huge and oppressive majority of the Internet, but because of IExplorer and SAFARI (who the hell uses safari?) it's getting denied.
With this logic, we will NEVER change things around here, as there will always be an exception to the rule.

(a lot of always and nevers to counter mod's ifs and whens)
Apr 14, 2015 6:46 PM

Aug 2012
The difference? It enables us to counter their reasons, or excuses if you want it that way, rather than just be a sitting duck wondering why our perfect suggestion isn't implemented. If the their excuse is lame then we can laugh all we want at their incompetence. If the excuse sounds good, then we can suggest ways how to eliminate those obstacles. When was the last time an admin personally came to this board and officially rejected a suggestion? Rarely if not never.

So what's the excuse this time? Webm is not compatible with IE and Safari (which are only used by a mere 10%. Let's set the chrome/firefox download joke aside). Thus, those loyal users have no choice (if they're going to use MAL and most of its features) but to use 3rd party apps which could potentially exploit MAL.

...and please don't forget BurntJelly's explanation.
julyanApr 14, 2015 6:51 PM
Apr 14, 2015 10:26 PM

Jun 2010
julyan said:
The difference? It enables us to counter their reasons, or excuses if you want it that way, rather than just be a sitting duck wondering why our perfect suggestion isn't implemented. If the their excuse is lame then we can laugh all we want at their incompetence. If the excuse sounds good, then we can suggest ways how to eliminate those obstacles. When was the last time an admin personally came to this board and officially rejected a suggestion? Rarely if not never.

So what's the excuse this time? Webm is not compatible with IE and Safari (which are only used by a mere 10%. Let's set the chrome/firefox download joke aside). Thus, those loyal users have no choice (if they're going to use MAL and most of its features) but to use 3rd party apps which could potentially exploit MAL.

...and please don't forget BurntJelly's explanation.

Is this satirical? I mean, I'm sorry but it must be.
The irony of a former "mod" saying "mods" should reply to threads more often here is hilarious.
It's even more funny read you saying "them" and "us", while 2 weeks ago you were part of "them". So where were you? Why didn't you make the difference?

You don't need to tell me how does it feel to be left unanswered an see your thread slowly dive into the limbo, but I'm afraid you're missing the point.
What I said is that I rather get no staff reply than read some stuff like this. You see, this is called a "Suggestions" board, but the mod team deals with it as if it were a binary Yes/No game.
You come here, shove some mildly convincing reasoning and nukes the thread. Most of the OPs give up and abandon the thread, but anytime someone tries to give continuity to the suggestion and debate workarounds or other possibilities (like me, the turtle guy, noob, subpyro and many other regulars from this board) what you guys -sorry, what the "mods"- do? NOTHING! Then there's no reply, no further feedback.
So between a reply that will nuke any kind of positive discussion and a void of it, I choose the goddamn void because this way people can debate ways of implementation, intelligent ways that the only excuse for not trying is simply the outstanding lack of will from this administration.

...now, did you really say exploit?
Since when this site cares for exploitable features?
Do I need to remind you that MAL was "hacked" 3 times already by the same damn guy?? And that most of the "tools" he supposedly used are still there? If security was really an issue, this site wouldn't be running on an 2005 architecture written by a single guy with tons of open strings and vulnerabilities on the code.
Your main argument against any kind of change is poor IE and Safari users and the evil 3rd party applications then?
Ha ha. This is also a joke right?
If I wanted to insert a malicious script on MAL, I could just host it on a domain with lower security (like snaggy, for example) which, is whitelisted, come here and [img] post it. How is webm any different?
Do you have any idea why tor is set "block all js" by default?

Oh, no, I'm definitely not forgetting BurntJelly's explanation. It simply serves to complete what I'm saying.
If MAL updated its system, instead of doing dumb interface changes, you wouldn't have any problems.
GAIA edited their [video] php if I'm not mistaken, years ago, and it works just fine.
In the end, the idea that stays is that mods are indifferent to this suggestion because no one fucking cares.
Apr 14, 2015 11:10 PM

Aug 2012
The irony of a former "mod" saying "mods" should reply to threads more often here is hilarious.

I believe I said "admin".

It's even more funny read you saying "them" and "us", while 2 weeks ago you were part of "them". So where were you? Why didn't you make the difference?

I made tons of suggestions before (mainly using ideas from this very board) but almost none of them were considered. Of course you didn't see nor hear about them because it was suggested in our private channels. Welp, as if saying this even matters, but you asked, so there you are.

So between a reply that will nuke any kind of positive discussion and a void of it, I choose the goddamn void because this way people can debate ways of implementation, intelligent ways that the only excuse for not trying is simply the outstanding lack of will from this administration.

If that's how you see it, okay I have nothing against that. But what I want is: "I'd rather hear the excuses than be ignored without knowing why." with reasons stated in my 3rd post.

...now, did you really say exploit?
Since when this site cares for exploitable features?
Do I need to remind you that MAL was "hacked" 3 times already by the same damn guy?? And that most of the "tools" he supposedly used are still there? If security was really an issue, this site wouldn't be running on an 2005 architecture written by a single guy with tons of open strings and vulnerabilities on the code.

Let me remind you that Crave is no longer MAL's owner since late January. And since then tons of bugs were fixed that you don't even know exist, polishes to the architecture were implemented and new features are in development. However, improvements still continues to this day. There's still a lot more to be done. Surely you don't expect them to fix everything in like 3-4 months?

Your main argument against any kind of change is poor IE and Safari users and the evil 3rd party applications then?

That was Ghost's "excuse". I was just simplifying it into 2-3 sentences. If you have objections about that, then feel free to express them, which you have already done so.

If MAL updated its system, instead of doing dumb interface changes, you wouldn't have any problems.

I agree about those dumb interface changes you're pointing out. Putting those shitty decisions aside, they are updating the system. If I am allowed to tell you those changes, I don't even know where to start. Why? Because there are plenty.
julyanApr 14, 2015 11:14 PM
Apr 15, 2015 5:23 PM

Jun 2010
I know this is derailing so I'll make this my last reply to the thread. It's just that the following quotes REALLY rustle my jimmies.
julyan said:
Of course you didn't see nor hear about them because it was suggested in our private channels.
julyan said:
And since then tons of bugs were fixed that you don't even know exist, polishes to the architecture were implemented and new features are in development.
julyan said:
However, improvements still continues to this day.
julyan said:
they are updating the system. If I am allowed to tell you those changes, I don't even know where to start. Why? Because there are plenty.

See that's something that really annoys me about this administration.
Anytime someone questions their efficiency these are the words used.
Why can't these improvements be made public then? What are you hiding? What's the point of hiding?
If there are indeed plenty of tweaks and fixes why not display them? It would surely shut me up.
We want feedback on this. As pointless or technical complex it might sound. Mods constantly forget but there are a lot of users here who know their programming 101 and would understand what kind of changes are being done if you told us. Or better, one of the many mods could come and explain things up.
I assume you're suggesting that more changes were made than what's displayed on Kineta's "changelog" so why not display them there as well??

I did expect almost everything to be fixed in 4-5months, especially if someone is getting paid to do it.
Assuming 4 guys from the dev team are assigned to debugging (i.e: syntax errors, app/code design errors, system compatibility + random shit that might pop up), and that they work 3h/day on it. Considering the worst case scenario, lets say they only work 4days/week.
That makes 18days/month, therefore in 5 months, ninety 3hours bugs can be fixed by one guy, which means 360 for the entire team. That assuming all of these bugs takes the entire 3 hours to fix.

It seems that I was wrong then?...
MAL's code is even more clusterfucked than I imagined and there are literally hundreds of thousands complex major bugs on it.
Not to mention the new owners' horrible market strategy that are clearly assigning more of the development team to creation of new shit than maintenance/support.
xbobxApr 15, 2015 5:28 PM
Apr 15, 2015 5:53 PM

Aug 2012
I wasn't told personally not to share the other changes not shown in her log, however since it wasn't shown, then I assume that it needs to be kept secret. The reason why is unknown to me. I have my speculations, but I wouldn't share them since it might cause misunderstandings and misconceptions.

Clusterfuck is an overstatement.
Apr 15, 2015 6:37 PM

Oct 2009
julyan said:
I wasn't told personally not to share the other changes not shown in her log, however since it wasn't shown, then I assume that it needs to be kept secret. The reason why is unknown to me. I have my speculations, but I wouldn't share them since it might cause misunderstandings and misconceptions.

Why no, you assumed wrong. She just got lazy to update the log, so by all means, please go ahead. I assure you there will be absolutely no misunderstandings or misconceptions.
Apr 15, 2015 6:56 PM

Aug 2012
Kineta said:
Please note that not all code/site changes will be contained herein. Catalogue begins from March 2015.
Apr 16, 2015 1:44 AM

Oct 2009
xbobx said:
What are you hiding? What's the point of hiding?
Apr 19, 2015 7:31 PM

Feb 2013
_Ghost_ said:
You can't add HTML5 Vid and WebM on a whim, both have shown exploits down our favorite hacker's lane.
What exploits?

(I haven't done any research on this so I don't know)
(I googled "webm exploits" and this thread came up on the first page, lol )
Apr 21, 2015 8:00 AM

Jan 2013
JS Injection, Cookie-jacking, and WebM having no data limit that can be abused to cause browsers to crash.

From my last reading you can prevent these mostly by whitelisting and proper X-domain blocks. For HTML5, WebM and Ogg extensions probably would have to be blocked.

I'm not up-to-date with it either, but the cookie-jacking and JS injection should still be an issue, which is probably why tumblr and co. haven't added WebM support yet.

I'd like to add, I didn't deny the suggestion, I only wanted to list issues I see with it, and add reasons why it probably won't be much better than the yt tag. (after whitelisting, etc.)
_Ghost_Apr 21, 2015 8:34 AM
Apr 22, 2015 1:04 AM

Mar 2008
Tumblr has webm as of recent actually.

Wouldnt there be some way to make a limit?
May 18, 2017 4:16 AM

Nov 2011
I would very much like to be able to embed html5 and webm videos in posts. It would be a lot less awkward than posting a sakugabooru link or looking for a messy/ugly gif to show someone an animated cut.

I'm unaware of the potential security issues, but DeNA has been in charge for years now, so I would think (hope) all of the old bugs are quashed by now and these sorts of suggestions could be reconsidered.
May 19, 2017 1:41 AM
Mar 2014
xbobx said:
Insert "impossible to do with the current outdated BB_code architecture" argument here.
You'd need either html or the [video] tag for it to work.

So why can't we change to phpBB or html? (like suggested multiple times on this sub-forum)
[Insert one of the many excuses here]

Welcome to MAL.

Or even better than PHPBB, XenForo. XenForo is much more user friendly and better code behind it.

More topics from this board

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

8 by Dr_Stoned »»
3 hours ago

» Correction Slice of life definition

aule10 - Yesterday

3 by fluffycow17 »»
Today, 8:50 AM

» Add Volume tab for Manga, like the Episode tab for Anime

Readerio - May 11

0 by Readerio »»
May 11, 2:35 PM

» re-watched titles

macmetric - May 10

1 by hacker09 »»
May 10, 8:15 PM

» Are there any plans to revamp mal on mobile?

Akuya - May 10

2 by Alexioos95 »»
May 10, 9:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.