Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 3, 2009 4:25 PM

Nov 2009
Elin and Tiger Woods had a prenuptial agreement, as expected. The couple is undergoing marital counseling, as you'd also expect. And now The Daily Beast is reporting that Elin Woods is renegotiating that prenup to get an immediate $5 million payout from her husband and as much as $55 million more to stay with him for two more years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Details-of-Elin-Woods-newly-rewritten-prenup-em?urn=golf,206529

I find it sad how for most rich people marriage is about money. Instead of fighting it out and making up, Tiger just slides his wife a fat sum of money to keep her quiet. It's like costly prostitution without the sex.

Celebrity marriages are known to be short lived. How many wives have Trump cycled through already?

Do you think that money is an obstruction to finding love? Can rich people find true love?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 3, 2009 4:31 PM
Oct 2009
Life is about money and it will alwaye be about it to.
Dec 3, 2009 4:32 PM

Jan 2008
I have yet to see this mythical thing known as 'unconditional love' outside of family.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 3, 2009 4:33 PM

Nov 2007
money
Dec 3, 2009 4:36 PM

Apr 2008
Beatnik said:
I have yet to see this mythical thing known as 'unconditional love' outside of family.
yea, but marriage creates family by definition.

As for the question posed by the OP, using an isolated case in Tiger Woods, or even using a biased sampling group of famous celebrities is a sampling fallacy. Simply put, I see no way to establish a causation between 'love' and money, assuming that 'love' can be rigorously defined and quantified.
SaitoeDec 3, 2009 4:41 PM

Dec 3, 2009 4:38 PM
Jun 2008
Saitoe said:
Beatnik said:

You end up loving your children more than your spouse, so essentially, you do choose blood family over a non-blood connection.
Dec 3, 2009 4:39 PM

Jan 2008
Saitoe said:
Beatnik said:

I'm talking about a bond through 'blood', which is very different than hooking up with a stranger.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 3, 2009 4:39 PM

Jan 2008
I am Mr Uber Cynical though.
Dec 3, 2009 4:40 PM

Mar 2008
For the upper class, money is love.

Dec 3, 2009 4:40 PM
Jun 2008
Beatnik said:
I am Mr Uber Cynical though.

Such things are all right, since an alarming amount of anime fans are romantics.
Dec 3, 2009 4:42 PM

Apr 2008
Beatnik said:
Saitoe said:
Beatnik said:

I'm talking about a bond through 'blood', which is very different than hooking up with a stranger.
are you suggesting that we look towards our brothers and sisters for sexual love?

Dec 3, 2009 4:45 PM

Jan 2008
Saitoe said:
are you suggesting that we look towards our brothers and sisters for sexual love?

tehnominator said:
an alarming amount of anime fans are romantics.
Dec 3, 2009 4:50 PM
Jun 2008
I doubt that's what Beatnik meant. Sexual love is ultimately weaker than unconditional love. You get the latter with family. You get the former with a girlfriend/wife/whatever. That bond is never as strong as that what you share with the person you are bonded to by blood.

Although there are people who claim to despise their families and parents or are indifferent to them, and also who preach the merits of romantic love being the strongest thing they can feel, but again--romantics. All suffering from a severe case of the Romeo and Juliet.

It's why Eastern cultures also place so much significance on the family unit. I never understand how in the West, the family unit is not as strong.
Dec 3, 2009 5:05 PM

Nov 2009
Saitoe said:
Beatnik said:

As for the question posed by the OP, using an isolated case in Tiger Woods, or even using a biased sampling group of famous celebrities is a sampling fallacy. Simply put, I see no way to establish a causation between 'love' and money, assuming that 'love' can be rigorously defined and quantified.

What? The famous celebrities are the really rich ones, what better way to assess the situation then go to the ones with the most cash?
And I agree love, cannot be measured, hence why my q is a matter of opinion.
MannagamanDec 3, 2009 5:22 PM
Dec 3, 2009 5:18 PM

Aug 2008
Basically...

EDIT: (Site link removed)

Man, I hate "celebrity gossip"; and this falls along those lines. Y'turn on the TV and y'see a whole bunch of this stuff... worst of all... in ESPN... bah.

Anyways. Here are three Christian lessons here:

1) If you did something wrong, fess up. Woods apologized for "trangressions". Done. But of course, that's not enough. See #2.

2) A man's reputation is valuable (8th Commandment). Unfortunately, we have a media (and general public) who loves "juicy" stories. This same media is ravenous for any sort of dirt involving anyone famous, especially for someone who appears to lead a "spotless" life.

3) If adultery is involved (6th Commandment), let it be a lesson to not do it. There's a reason why. A whole can of worms (and trouble) opens up once you're in a marriage; and cheating on a spouse is involved. In Woods case, I hope these allegations of having "mistresses" is false. C'mon, he has a hot freakin' waifu!

To think, all this from a simple car accident. So seriously, the media (especially old media) can kiss my ass.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Dec 3, 2009 5:58 PM

Nov 2008
@ OP's question in title:

Yes, it does. I also would like to say that marriage is a social contract that not many people take seriously.

Why would one want to model their lives around people who are the most famous? There are millions of families who are wealthy and do amazing things and contribute a lot to society but are quite modest in terms of wanting to be famous.
Dec 3, 2009 6:03 PM

Aug 2008
arimakenshin said:
Yes, it does. I also would like to say that marriage is a social contract that not many people take seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Swayze#Personal_life

Here's an example of a marriage involving a celebrity that lasted. So, even among the rich and famous, marriage does work out.

But like I said with the media frenzy and all that, they tend to pay more attention to marriages that fail or have ANY remote issue. It's the dirty nature of gossip.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Dec 3, 2009 6:16 PM

Oct 2008
people split because of money. money believe it or not plays a huge part in our adult lives. with money comes stress, with stress comes problems, with problems come unruly behavior. so yeah everything revolves around money now a days. rich or poor, it doesn't make a difference. only those who truly love each other can overcome this obstacle in their marriage.

in short; money=fucking asshole who will fuck up your relationship with people in general.
Dec 3, 2009 6:23 PM

Nov 2009
Frito said:
people split because of money. money believe it or not plays a huge part in our adult lives. with money comes stress, with stress comes problems, with problems come unruly behavior. so yeah everything revolves around money now a days. rich or poor, it doesn't make a difference. only those who truly love each other can overcome this obstacle in their marriage.

in short; money=fucking asshole who will fuck up your relationship with people in general.

yes indeed
mo money mo problems
Dec 3, 2009 6:23 PM

Mar 2009
Most of those in the upper class would choose money over 'love'.
Dec 3, 2009 6:28 PM

Oct 2008
AlexisSolitaire said:
well yes, that's because they didn't get there without manipulating one or the other. people are very sinister when it comes to using each other to our own advantage. darwinism at its finest.

on topic money will always play a large part on our progression as individuals. but it doesn't necessarily mean that true love wouldn't exist in the white collar world. love doesn't discriminate.
Dec 3, 2009 6:41 PM

Dec 2007
managaman said:
Can rich people find true love?

Yes, we can.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 3, 2009 6:43 PM

Aug 2009
Well, Tiger Woods is filthy rich. Those millions of dollars that he gave were nothing compared to his overall income per game.
Dec 3, 2009 6:44 PM

Nov 2009
ladyxzeus said:
managaman said:

Yes, we can.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your net worth?
Dec 3, 2009 6:45 PM

Oct 2008
mine is -9000000000000000000

im rich inside....
Dec 3, 2009 6:53 PM

Nov 2008
AlexisSolitaire said:
managaman said:
Frito said:

yes indeed
mo money mo problems
Frito said:

Such naive comments. Not everyone's killing or ripping each other off to make money. Most are required to shoulder more responsibility and get rewarded accordingly. The responsibility to handle projects (engineering) that cost hundreds of millions and other people's vested financial interests is a huge and daunting task.

Money isn't evil. It's just another byproduct and measurement of power. Money is only seen as something bad because it becomes a scapegoat when people show their true nature and do the most horrific things possible.

Choosing love over money or vice versa is a ridiculous notion. To sum up one's life or a couple's lives together by finding how much they're committed to each other by financial or romantic restraints should only belong in fairy tales and never applied to real life.
Dec 3, 2009 7:01 PM

Oct 2008
arimakenshin said:
AlexisSolitaire said:
managaman said:
Frito said:

yes indeed
mo money mo problems
Frito said:

Such naive comments. Not everyone's killing or ripping each other off to make money. Most are required to shoulder more responsibility and get rewarded accordingly. The responsibility to handle projects (engineering) that cost hundreds of millions and other people's vested financial interests is a huge and daunting task.

Money isn't evil. It's just another byproduct and measurement of power. Money is only seen as something bad because it becomes a scapegoat when people show their true nature and do the most horrific things possible.

Choosing love over money or vice versa is a ridiculous notion. To sum up one's life or a couple's lives together by finding how much they're committed to each other by financial or romantic restraints should only belong in fairy tales and never applied to real life.
seriously why do people lose jobs? money? what is the main reason why people split? money? no matter how you look at it, money over saturates your relationship with other people.

i never said money is evil. it's a necessity, not evil. it's only evil when things don't go our way because we are financially retarted.
Dec 3, 2009 7:02 PM

Dec 2009
Love exists, you know it when it finds you. The problem with rich and famous people is they tend to live their lives around their money and fame and that attracts certain types of people. I know its not true in every case, but generally that's what it seems to be. It's a hard thing to just find, it really has to happen on its own. I think that the real problem is not too many people go for it and too many people settle for less then they deserve for numerous reasons. A lot of people fall into being with someone out of necessity or for securities. Like financial securities and things of that nature. It's amazing how much you will cut yourself short just not to need to worry about money.
My Nuts Jumble.
Dec 3, 2009 7:16 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah, because poor people are so romantic.
Dec 3, 2009 7:27 PM

Nov 2008
Frito said:
i never said money is evil. it's a necessity, not evil. it's only evil when things don't go our way because we are financially retarted.

Money isn't a necessity either. There are many who are happy and they only make below poverty line because they're content with their lifestyles (minimalist hippies/hermits). Do you think Amazon tribes care that they don't make a dollar?

Life isn't just about a car, a house, a marriage and a dog or traveling the world to sightsee or about being the best at your job you got when you graduate college It's a blank canvas made by your parents and other people who affect you. What's painted on the blank canvas is up to you. The more money you have, the bigger your canvas will be, which in turn affects other people.

What you paint will be judged by others. We're human beings and our social ancestry is what made us survive the past ten's of thousands of years. Contributing to society (several ways) is the best thing anyone can do regardless of culture, race, financial status or color.
Dec 3, 2009 7:38 PM

Oct 2009
To the upper class, their life is about money. They did recieve their social status, most likely through either blood-related family ties or the amount of money they have. The men have enough money for any woman they want, and the girls want a good social status. Of course, both sexes want money.

If Tiger Woods was an average person like anyone else, would he have the wife he has today? Most likely not, in my opinion. I'm not saying that his wife is "too good" for him, but they were married considering money in their relationship. That's kind of sad..

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Dec 3, 2009 7:41 PM

Nov 2008
JessIsEpic said:
To the upper class, their life is about money. They did recieve their social status, most likely through either blood-related family ties or the amount of money they have. The men have enough money for any woman they want, and the girls want a good social status. Of course, both sexes want money.

You're insulting me. My family might be weallthy but my life is definitely not about money.

It's quite suffocating for you to press your ideals on me.

Who cares what Tiger Woods thought or did among his social circle. He's a golfer and one of the best things that happened to advertising. Privacy about family should be always be respected.

/just providing a voice for the other side who are "rich" and also like manga and anime. Don't take it personally.
Dec 3, 2009 7:47 PM

Oct 2009
arimakenshin said:
JessIsEpic said:

You're insulting me. My family might be weallthy but my life is definitely not about money.

It's quite suffocating for you to press your ideals on me.

Who cares what Tiger Woods thought or did among his social circle. He's a golfer and one of the best things that happened to advertising. Privacy about family should be always be respected.

Eh, I didn't mean to be offensive. I should've suggested that I was speaking about celebrities. I can understand how upper classes are bashed because of sterotypes about their status.

Privacy about family should be respected--and this does go for any sort of family. It's just that Tiger had an affair with two other women.. I wouldn't exactly call them "family". It's a bit degrading thinking that he can easily pay people so that they don't talk about what he's been doing of lately.

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Dec 3, 2009 7:59 PM

Nov 2008
JessIsEpic said:

Privacy about family should be respected--and this does go for any sort of family. It's just that Tiger had an affair with two other women.. I wouldn't exactly call them "family". It's a bit degrading thinking that he can easily pay people so that they don't talk about what he's been doing of lately.

Hehe, what would you call the women? They were willing to talk about their involvement in Tiger's life after the spotlight shone on him. They were willing to keep everything down under if they were paid.

Nothing funnier and more tragic than seeing women act like prostitutes and pretend to still be classy.

As Winston Churchill aptly put it:

Reports that Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu sold her vote to bring the Senate health scare bill to the floor for $300 million are reminiscent of an apocryphal tale told of Winston Churchill and Lady Astor.

"Would you sleep with me for a million dollars," Churchill asks.

"A million dollars?" says Lady Astor. "Why, sure."

"How about a dollar?"

"Why I never," Lady Astor huffs. "What do you take me for?"

"That, my dear," says Sir Winston, "has been established. We are just negotiating price."

Senator Landrieu's honor has been established. Obama, Reid and Pelosi just had to haggle over the price.
Dec 3, 2009 8:02 PM

Oct 2008
arimakenshin said:
Money isn't a necessity either. There are many who are happy and they only make below poverty line because they're content with their lifestyles (minimalist hippies/hermits). Do you think Amazon tribes care that they don't make a dollar?
do you really believe that we as a whole have different social ladder structures? in their own world, those amazonians value something elsel; the chief would have the biggest stick in the clan and most stones and wood. in our society, money posses the same attributes. you have money. you get power.

the end of the day we have the same social structure and this so-called "money" is a necessity to position themselves for their betterment.
Dec 3, 2009 8:06 PM

Nov 2008
Frito said:
arimakenshin said:
do you really believe that we as a whole have different social ladder structures? in their own world, those amazonians value something elsel; the chief would have the biggest stick in the clan and most stones and wood. in our society, money posses the same attributes. you have money. you get power.

the end of the day we have the same social structure and this so-called "money" is a necessity to position themselves for their betterment.

:P I was hoping that you wouldn't use that argument because I knew I said it too brashly.

You're correct about money being the common currency for social status.
Dec 3, 2009 8:11 PM

Oct 2008
arimakenshin said:
Frito said:
arimakenshin said:

:P I was hoping that you wouldn't use that argument because I knew I said it too brashly.

but you're argument is right though. there's always two sides to a coin. we blue collar people will see things in a shadier point of view and
arimakenshin said:
Frito said:
arimakenshin said:

you're not wrong either, having less money can be good for some people as it makes them focus on something else; something productive and beneficial to the society.
Dec 4, 2009 12:47 AM

Dec 2007
managaman said:
ladyxzeus said:
managaman said:

Yes, we can.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your net worth?

No idea, I have parents.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 4, 2009 12:53 AM

Sep 2008
I don't think it has anything to do with money or upperclass or anything, douche bag men exist in all forms.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Dec 4, 2009 1:41 AM

Apr 2009
Love doesn't exist.
Dec 4, 2009 3:13 AM

Dec 2008
Is this a "Money doesn't buy happiness" thread?
Dec 4, 2009 4:05 AM

Jul 2009
Beatnik said:
Saitoe said:
Beatnik said:

:/

No it is not. Everyone is not the same. Seriously, I think people need to stop using the word "unconditional love," as I don't think it really exists. If your significant other cheats on you, literally pisses on your face and then rapes you, makes tiny cuts on you all over your body and then ties you up as you slowly bleed, then drives away with all your money and buys guns to shoot people randomly in a public place, no sane person would still love them. Even if it was family (so minus the "cheats on you" part) you should probably feel similar disgust and want to end friendly relations with them forever.

For example, I love my fiance more than anyone else and I do not love my mom. Not even a little bit. I loath her. I cut her out of my family a long time ago.

The person you marry should become a very important part in your family.