Forum Settings
Forums

MySQL Error When Adding Club Relations

New
Dec 1, 2009 9:32 PM

Jun 2009
Mod Edit: Merged all threads about this issue.

I was editing the club details for this club http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=5759, and after pushing the Save Changes button 3 or 4 times there was something like MySQL Database error (I didn't copy it), and for the 5th time all manga and characters relations were gone. I tried to restore them, added about 10 relations (I saved the data after adding each single relation), and it happened again. Now the club doent't have a single manga or character relation, and I don't know where I should get the relations which were there before I came. Please help me T_T
KinetaJul 25, 2012 1:25 AM
Dec 2, 2009 1:26 AM

Mar 2009
I have had the same MySQL error in my own club but it has never been so drastic as losing all the relations list - that would be a real bummer - and it is only occasional

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Dec 2, 2009 5:33 AM

Jun 2009
There was a MySQL Error. The staff has been notified and is looking in to it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

People, I beg you, do something!
It happened again in yet another club!!! this time I saved the relations before editing, but they are gone and I have to restore them manually!!!!

T____T
Dec 2, 2009 10:58 AM

Apr 2007
There are an awfull lot of MySQL errors recently!
Not much you can do about it I guess.
Even if I were a DB admin I wouldn't even dare touch the databases in this setup... :S
----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version 3.12 '''(Updated: 29/05/15)'''
GCM/GCS d s:+ a C++(+++) UL-- P L+(-) E-- W++ N++
o? K? w++(++++) O--- M--- V-- PS@ PE+ Y+ PGP++@
t+ 5 X+ R++ tv b DI D++ G e h!* r* y-
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Dec 5, 2009 12:26 PM

May 2007
It is not allowing club admins to add relations. Topic title changed to reflect this.
Dec 5, 2009 6:22 PM

Oct 2008
When the MYSQL error occurs, try clicking back on the browser. It will prevent you from typing everything again. If you had clicked on the submit button many times, then just click on the back button just as many times. It should work..

As for the MYSQL error, it has been around for a very long time.
Dec 7, 2009 1:29 AM

Jun 2009
ScrumYummy said:
It is not allowing club admins to add relations. Topic title changed to reflect this.
You are wrong. I can add club relations, but 1 chance in 100 that the error occurs
So, if I get you correctly, there is nothing to do with my problem except for changing the topic name? THE problem is for now, the data is lost, and not with adding new relations. Just restoring the old ones!
the_orangeDec 7, 2009 1:32 AM
Dec 9, 2009 12:00 AM

May 2007
the_orange said:

So, if I get you correctly, there is nothing to do with my problem except for changing the topic name? THE problem is for now, the data is lost, and not with adding new relations. Just restoring the old ones!

You do not get me correctly. I am a forum mod, not Xinil. I changed your topic title to what I thought was more descriptive, because that's what I can do to help out--I can't fix your problem. If there is more to it than that, I need you to be more descriptive about what is happening.

Kira01 said:
When the MYSQL error occurs, try clicking back on the browser. It will prevent you from typing everything again. If you had clicked on the submit button many times, then just click on the back button just as many times. It should work..

As for the MYSQL error, it has been around for a very long time.

This is my first time running into it; I think this particular issue is a recent development. And as far as I can tell, using the back button doesn't work.
Dec 27, 2009 7:18 PM

Feb 2008
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=9560

Today, I added two new character relations, one new anime relation, and one new manga relation to my club. When I looked at the main page, the manga and character relations were gone (!). I think there was one of those mySQL errors, but I was doing other things at the same time so I can't remember if it was for that. They were gone from the edit page too.

Is there any way to get the relations back? The manga isn't important as there were only a handful, but the characters pretty much are the club. I mean, I've got a list, so I could go and re-enter all 169 of them, but...
Shana is love.

Apr 25, 2011 8:32 PM

Dec 2009
I don't expect this to be fixed, but I'll post it just so that it's said and out there.

When I (or a co-admin, the problem isn't on my end) try to add an anime to the list of English Dub Fanclub club relations, it will occasionally wipe out the entire list, permanently. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened several times now, and at this point has prevented us from being able to maintain a list of relations at all - every few times it's updated the list is completely erased.
Apr 26, 2011 1:06 PM

May 2008
This has been reported before, but the exact cause was never found. It can happen if there is a mysql error when loading the relations on the edit page (and hence none get submitted). It might also be a problem if there is just an extremely large list of relations and the POST information when you submit becomes longer than the browser/server supports.

I am a banana.
May 15, 2011 7:17 AM

Nov 2007
That happens to me frequently when I added a duplicate relation. It just gave out error after pressing "Save Changes" and wipe out all of the relations that was already added prior to that.

So, the reason is something to do with adding something that already added (duplicate), probably?
tsubasaloverMay 15, 2011 7:21 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 15, 2011 11:10 AM

May 2008
could be a possibilty, thanks for reporting that

I am a banana.
May 27, 2011 9:21 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
On my club, Lolicon Defense Task Force, all the Anime Relations are gone. I was editing the group one minute and next they are gone. Over 25 of them. Can it be recovered?
May 27, 2011 7:22 PM

Jul 2007
Heh I've reported this ages ago, along (if i recall correctly, maybe I'm mixing up issues) with a way to reproduce it. Is there a way to find my old forum posts?
May 27, 2011 10:06 PM

Dec 2009
Mire said:
Is there a way to find my old forum posts?

Google?

It doesn't have to do with duplicate entries, no. That's a verifiable glitch, but it's one we've worked around. We had an obscenely gargantuan club relations list that was randomly wiped out with one update (no duplicate entries), and it's been doing it at random intervals (also no duplicates) since then. For example, say we had 300 relations, updated the list, and the whole thing was wiped. We re-added 30 of the series at once in order to start rebuilding it, went back to update some more, and it wiped itself out again. So if the size of the list is the problem, it's just what initializes the glitch - it doesn't have to be a condition for it to happen.
May 28, 2011 12:58 AM

May 2008
*threads merged*

Lolicon said:
On my club, Lolicon Defense Task Force, all the Anime Relations are gone. I was editing the group one minute and next they are gone. Over 25 of them. Can it be recovered?

They cannot be recovered; if you can consistently reproduce the error though let us know here...
sakaMay 28, 2011 3:55 PM

I am a banana.
Sep 30, 2011 7:55 PM

Feb 2008
Bumping this because it happened again (almost 2 years later). This time it was all of the character relations (200+) that disappeared out of nowhere. It's really inconvenient to have to manually add them all again; is there no other solution?
Shana is love.

Sep 30, 2011 10:23 PM

May 2010
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=332489

I wouldn't touch my club for a while.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 30, 2011 10:51 PM

Nov 2007
Also here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=290297
Sep 30, 2011 11:02 PM

May 2008
As far as I know this only occurs on clubs where there are tons of relations. You should instead rethink whether having so many relations is actually topical for the club users. there should probably be some reasonable limit on the number of relations, but because there isn't, bugs like this occur when the limit of data that can be sent in the form gets reached.

I am a banana.
Nov 1, 2011 3:13 PM

Jul 2008
I added several new manga to the "One Shot Fans" list of relations, and after getting notification of a "MySQL" error, said relations are completely gone.
Nov 2, 2011 12:18 AM

Nov 2007
It's probably because you added some manga that is/are already on the list accidentally (without you knowing it). You can go back and repush submit and it will come back (for those before you just did). That happens alot and has already posted several times.
Nov 2, 2011 3:23 PM

Jul 2008
Uh...no?

I tried submitting manga or simply hitting "save changes" for the club details, but I still have a completely blank list of club manga relations.

The hundreds of one-shot mangas added to the relations seem completely gone.
Nov 2, 2011 4:32 PM

Feb 2008
What she means is that when this bug occurs, hit back a few times until you're back at the submission page and hit resubmit. You'll get all the relations back that way.

Obviously this bug shouldn't be happening in the first place but...
Nov 2, 2011 4:52 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
It seems this is happening and hitting back isn't working, it happened to my friend today. And while not relations I tried to change the club info and it got messed up and when I went back it was the messed up code.
Nov 3, 2011 5:23 AM

May 2009
This bug is happening too often now. It used to be that we were informed of MySQL errors and refreshing the page just brings us back to square one. These days MySQL errors wipes out relations list. I've resorted to making a thread where all of the relations can reside and just update that since there seems to be no remedy in sight in the near future. *sigh*
Nov 3, 2011 3:12 PM

Jul 2008
TsukikageRan said:
This bug is happening too often now. It used to be that we were informed of MySQL errors and refreshing the page just brings us back to square one. These days MySQL errors wipes out relations list. I've resorted to making a thread where all of the relations can reside and just update that since there seems to be no remedy in sight in the near future. *sigh*

Wow, if that's the only thing we can do, the information is as good as lost. Our club had over a thousand relations, many of which weren't entered into threads, and thus can't be reproduced. (Even if it weren't for the time sink)

Has Xinil pretty much given up on this site or something?
Nov 9, 2011 3:58 AM

Sep 2011
This also happened to a club I'm admin at.
When will this glitch be fixed?
Nov 23, 2011 9:51 AM
Nov 2007
I was editing the club details for my club (http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=1279) and adding new characters to it. Upon saving changes it gave me a MySQL error and now the entire character list is gone. Is there any way to restore it?
Nov 28, 2011 4:09 PM

May 2009
The club I admin has a issue currently. the club relations list was wiped after I got a SQL error after trying to add cowboy bepop to the list.

here the club.
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
Click for link^
Nov 30, 2011 1:48 PM

May 2009
the list is still gone? any update? or fix?
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
Click for link^
Dec 1, 2011 8:38 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
This issue happens sometimes, sorry to say there isn't a fix for it.
Dec 11, 2011 11:39 PM

Jul 2008
Motion_Menace said:

When will this glitch be fixed?

I'm still waiting, too. It's a major bug that largely destroys the utility of clubs.
Mar 2, 2012 10:58 PM

Apr 2008
Hellos

I'm aware of recent(...) server issues and said drawbacks, so if it's known already or I didn't find it in my 2min looking for said issue, sorries :O

Problem happens as follows
1. Edit Club Details
2. Add (either) character/anime/manga (all 3 confirmed) to relation list
3. Repeat step 2
4. Which ever section got a duplicate added to will now face following message
"There was a MySQL Error. The staff has been notified and is looking in to it. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Duplicate attempt, did not add manga"
(yes yes I saw it says you guys have been notified :) )
5. If now click on View Club, the entire relations list has been erased (depending which section you added to that is...my condolence to anyone who duplicated into every section)

Quickfix (well quickfix is a lie...) to this was to hit the omnipotent back button and re-save the list as is. That will retain the list even if it just got wiped by the duplicated item...but that will only work for so long and so many people :)

/back to adding relation list ^^"
Mar 7, 2012 7:28 PM

Feb 2008
Tried to add a new character relation to my club but got some sql database error and now all character relations are gone.

Is there anything you can do about this? gonna be a pain to restore..

club in question: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=6951

thx
Mar 7, 2012 9:06 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Known bug, but there's nothing that can be done. You will have to add every character again.

The problem is you tried to add a character that has already been in the list. Every time you add a duplicate entry you get this sql error and the list will be cleared. So be careful in the future and check whether or not the entry is already there.

If you don't have a backup of your list, here is one:
Mar 8, 2012 5:52 AM

Feb 2008
Thx a lot! That will make things much easier :-)
Jun 8, 2012 7:27 PM
May 2008
Hello. I was trying to add new anime entries in my club SUBS FUCKING WHERE? but when I updated I got an error message along with ALL of the anime entries deleted. The actual message reads:

There was a MySQL Error. The staff has been notified and is looking in to it. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Duplicate attempt, did not add anime

I tried to figure out why this happened and apparently this error doesn't occur when I add one entry and save at a time. But when I try to add multiple entries at a time and save, everything gets deleted.

Is it possible with the admins to roll my club back to a point where everything is not deleted? There was at least a 100+ different shows in the 'club relations' anime category and it's going to be annoying having to add them all in again.
Jun 9, 2012 9:43 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
It's not possible to rollback the club, sorry. If you don't have a backup list of all the relations you can use google cache (date: June 5).

It usually happens when you add a relation that is already in the list. In your case this was the problem: "Duplicate attempt, did not add anime". When adding new relations be careful that the relation hasn't been added already, that should minimize the chance of getting this error.
This will hopefully be fixed soon.
Jul 25, 2012 1:24 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Merged all the threads I could find about this issue.

This has been fixed in the recent update. If anyone encounters this problem again, please give precise details about the steps leading up to the bug and a screen-shot of the message.

More topics from this board

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

2 by deg »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3372 by GARFIELDD666 »»
12 hours ago

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
Yesterday, 6:03 PM

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.