Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2015 2:29 AM

Mar 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For a first Tripokalon, Serena was unlucky. At first I tought the Tripokalon would be like a versiion of contest from the previous season but it was more faithful to game contest.
That episode was more like an Idol anime than Pokemon (Jessie's performance was the best).
Happy than Sana win
And new Serena haircut ! She is cute ! And Ash noticed the ribbon :D
One of my favorite episode.
Next time evolution

Cute/10
TanmaFeb 12, 2015 2:34 AM
Feb 12, 2015 9:47 AM

Jun 2009
I actually prefer that haircut so much! And I like how they finally start to develop her character, it was about time. She's actually starting to become likeable. ^_^
Feb 12, 2015 10:03 AM
Dec 2008
wow! she is really cute. :)
Feb 15, 2015 1:55 AM

Jun 2013
They ruined her hair. And I normally prefer short hair.

Short blonde hair is never a good idea. If you're gonna go with short hair as a girl then it must be a darker color. No way around it.
Feb 15, 2015 2:09 AM

May 2009
Goddamnit, this anime.... it is so good. By far the best Pokemon series by far. The reason why Serena has cut her hair is something very personal. She always liked long ribbons and hair, without taking in consideration how difficult it could be for someone to get around with long clothes and ribbons. In the end that was her downfall, so she cutted her hair. The Ryhorn race with her mother really toughened her up, how serious she is about this.... and to achieve the top you'll be bound to find your own flaws.

I think I can give it a score now that we're almost halfway through the series and it's a solid 8. The main characters have so much depth and development, team rocket is as hilarious as always. Clermont, Bonny and Serena are by far the best companions Ash and Pikachu ever had.
Feb 15, 2015 3:28 AM
Feb 15, 2015 7:44 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I agree with Serena, she messed up big time. The ribbon was too long for Fokko to walk it, but it wasn't a bad loss. She received a good amount of votes, but yea she should have taken consideration of how the ribbon would have affected Fokko. Serena cutting her hair literally made her unrecognizable. If I would have watched this season after this episode I wouldn't have known that was Serena. I don't mind her short hair, kind of like her new look more than her old one as I'm not into long hair that extends past the shoulders.

Seems like Clemont will challenge Ash next. If we go with the OP then perhaps Clemont will use his rabbit Pokemon, Luxio and maybe Helioisk.

The Preview for next episode should be a must watch.

Feb 15, 2015 8:01 AM

Jan 2011
The whole contest was underwhelming after it's been hyped to be her debut. I think the anime staff have been working extra hard for XY as a whole and the second half really shows it. Serena had some really nice character development. The design change is awkward, but I think she still looks cute.
Feb 15, 2015 10:56 AM
Jun 2012
That audience has a shit taste. Jessie was clearly superior to that overblown Bulbasaur.
Feb 15, 2015 1:48 PM

Mar 2014
Woah I loved what they did. Serena's new look is incredibly cute.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Feb 15, 2015 1:59 PM

Jan 2011
UubTay said:
That audience has a shit taste. Jessie was clearly superior to that overblown Bulbasaur.
While I liked what she did, it's in poor taste. Instead of focusing on making her Pokemon's own beauty stand out, she covered it in make up and a costume. It becomes difficult to tell what Pokemon it is.

This was actually a central theme of the 'Pokémon Fashion Flash' episode.
Feb 17, 2015 1:24 AM
Jun 2011
bIuecrimson said:
UubTay said:
While I liked what she did, it's in poor taste. Instead of focusing on making her Pokemon's own beauty stand out, she covered it in make up and a costume. It becomes difficult to tell what Pokemon it is.

This was actually a central theme of the 'Pokémon Fashion Flash' episode.
about the tripokalon actully the second round is like the first round of the pokemon contests in ag and dp if you will look at sauna in the second round so it not only about beauty
Feb 17, 2015 8:26 AM

Aug 2008
WOW! I love Serena new look.

Numera evolve next week?
ZapredonFeb 17, 2015 8:42 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 20, 2015 8:04 AM

May 2007
Wooow this is a huge episode. A lot of things happened.

Sana moved up in the Tripokalon. Serena's rookie mistake was devastating, but it triggered something in her. They also inserted some plans ahead with the old timer looking for something, most likely an aspiring candidate like "Elen". She saw the scene where Serena was alone with Fokko and Yancham and cut her hair and that caught her attention.

Really loved Serena's long hair before but ladies with short hairs are all the rage nowadays. Short hair Serena looks so cute! And she uses Satoshi's ribbon which was given to her as present. *COUPLE SHIPPING INTENSIFIES*
Feb 26, 2015 6:25 PM

Jun 2012
God I love Serena, so needs to be loved tenderly.
Mar 8, 2015 8:17 PM

Sep 2014
When serena started crying at the dock, I started crying. Then her pokemon started to try to cheer her up. I just can't! Too much! Easily one of the best scenes this series. Looks like that lady saw how much she loves her pokemon, despite a poor performance.

And I think the new haircut looks really cute on her. Like when she blushes, too.
Mar 21, 2015 11:18 AM

Jan 2013
really love the change!! Heartbreaking ep, but also heartwarming.
Apr 14, 2015 1:07 PM

Nov 2008
I waited so long for Serena's tripokalon and that's it? Hope she enters another one soon!

Her new style is so cute!
Apr 22, 2015 8:11 PM

Jul 2014
omg, im in love with serena's new look. i absolutely love grills with short hair.
Apr 26, 2015 11:38 PM

Nov 2014
That announcers voice was so funny xD The accent was so fake that it made me crack up. xD

Jessie's Pumpkaboo looked SO COOL during that dress up part!! I love it!! I thought she was going to mess it up and make it look horrible but I loved it. xD
Too bad Fennekin tripped...Serena made the pink ribbon too long. =< But I'm kind of glad she screwed up. Because you can't always do amazingly on your
very first try. It makes things more realistic.

THE ENDING WAS AMAZING!!!! I mean I've known for a while now that she was getting a new design, but the way it happened was perfect!! It was so sad when she started crying, but it was great how things turned around. AND after the last episode, "Under the Pledging Tree", I was wondering if that blue ribbon I've been seeing for the past like 2 months was going to be the ribbon that Ash gave Serena and IT WAS!! I'm getting way too excited about this omg.

Oh and one more thing...Ash called Serena cute. I love Pokémon XY. T_T
BlackFox24Apr 26, 2015 11:48 PM
Apr 26, 2015 11:39 PM

Nov 2014
LusciousLobsters said:
omg, im in love with serena's new look. i absolutely love grills with short hair.

Lmao omg read what you wrote. xD I'm laughing harder than I should be. xD
"grills with short hair"
May 2, 2015 8:54 PM

Jun 2014
Serena is an even bigger cutie now <3
May 3, 2015 7:32 PM

Dec 2012
This belong in the top 3 best episodes in this series so far.
Jun 23, 2015 12:55 PM

Jul 2013
I can't believe Serena was out of the contest because Fennekin tripped on a ribbon, she should have cut it a lot shorter.

Speaking of cutting things short ... (see what I did there, nice segue) she went and cut half her hair off so now it's super short.

She does look kinda cute with her new short hair and outfit but I think I prefer her with long hair and her previous outfit but incorporating Ash's ribbon in to it was a nice idea and good thing he noticed.
Jul 16, 2015 3:09 PM
Aug 2009
Alright. If they're going to do that overdramatic, dumb short hair cut thing that girls do in Japan after some sort of struggle, they better double up and put more focus on the pairing between Ash and Serena more than ever before. THIS much character development for Serena... only for them not to do anything between the pair would be the dumbest thing in the history of dumb. Well, not really, but it would be up there.

Seriously, what's next? Will she shave her hair if she fails again? Nah, just joking.

I have to admit that she doesn't look that bad. Thank god it's not as bad as Eureka and Talho from Eureka 7 (not the Eureka from XY lol). Talho.... Oh god. DEAR GOD. That was terrible. I know it's a sign of maturity, but you don't need to look like THAT to show some maturity. Gods.
RevolutionZealJul 17, 2015 2:20 AM
Nov 9, 2015 12:33 AM

Nov 2014
RIP Serena's long hair :'( I like her in her initial appearance, but this short hair Serena is as cute as before so i won't complain :P speaking of which, way to go to use another Kalos specialty since it's the first game that allow you to change your appearance and outfit.. IIRC there's no other character who change their outfit in the middle of season so it's good that they did it to Serena..

As for the episode itself.. well, feel bad for Serena.. but agree that she made the ribbon too long which made Fennekin falling down in the stage.. i know that she's sad even with her cherry face after finish the showcase.. the moment when Serena cried is really hard to watch for me but soon after she decided to cut her hair as a symbol that she will change..

Overall a great episode.. Yet another development for Serena which is nice.. i think currently she's one of the main characters with most depth even compare to the predecessor.. looking forward to see the next episode.. 5/5
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Sep 1, 2016 1:11 PM

May 2013
One of the best episodes yet, I love Serena as a female companion. This was an emotional episode, Serena cutting her hair at the end... I found it so deep. Serena has been amazing as a character in this series and this episode only enhances that.

Sep 4, 2016 9:42 PM

Dec 2012
Armelle is going to be a babe when she gets older.

lol I knew something bad was going to happen once I saw how long the bow on Fokko was.

Dat face plant.

The Sakura effect.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 14, 2017 7:33 PM
Jan 2017
i can't wait to see how serena keeps developing throughout the series!
Jul 29, 2017 7:31 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty touching episode. I felt so sorry for Serena, her first contest and of all things this happened. I didn't expect she would cut her hair. She looks so cute with that new haircut and also with the new clothes, almost like a whole new person. You can see that she's developing as a character :)

Damn the next fight for Ash will be vs Citron. Can't wait to see that.

Dec 30, 2017 8:26 PM

Feb 2010
Aw the crying part made me cry.
But I just had to come and complain because I'm so upset about her hair XD it looks like it was an accident 😭😭😭why! I mean she's cute but she looked 10Xs better before. I really don't like it and I hate that because I love Serena and I don't want to not like how she looks. I'm pretty sure she keeps this look too :( my heart 💔
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Mar 11, 2020 9:59 AM

Dec 2008
Aw, poor Jessie, I would have voted for Musavie. But the Bulbasaur was cute too. Next time Meowth will team up? I bet that'll be fun.

Experiencing setbacks is believable, so a good episode for Serena too. I feel like she cut her long hair while thinking about how the ribbons were too long. I also think the long hair looks better, but I think it's also referencing that the XY games were the first where we could get our player character's hair cut.
Jan 23, 2022 6:04 PM

Sep 2017
Pumpkaboos Costume looked so cool and scary-cool. Would be cool to see that alternative design in game!
My vote was for Jessies Pumpkaboo.

10:00 in , im halfway through the episode as im writing this but im calling it now she gana mess up and trip somehow when Serena is up.

WOW i was rightish well it wasnt serena but her pokemon fenik .
Sad, she was having fun too.
better luck next time.

Serenas big change , She cut her hair! I like it.
Great episode!
Aug 24, 2022 12:46 PM

Dec 2007
to be honest, though i understand sereana feeling and kinda cried with her. compare to dawn's "failure" at DP, where she lost twice and then has her break heart, serena has that only after one showcase?
don't get me wrong, i love how it made her progress. and she's much cuter now.

i pity jessie on the other hand, she really went out on her own style (much like in DP's contest) but no one except mewoth and james appreciate it. if it were judges and not some kids opinion, she would have won this. she actually did better than shauna to my taste to bold pumkabum's appeal.
Nov 14, 2023 2:42 AM

Feb 2020
Serena ficou até mais bonita com esse cabelo curto
Jan 21, 11:02 AM

Jan 2013
Strong episode with Serena's development.
Maybe a bit exaggerated with Fennekin falling down but it definitely got the point across - It's still targeted towards children after all.

But damn that moment with Serena crying and then deciding to change herself to be a stronger person, we don't get many of these moments in Pokemon so when it's done this well I can appreciate it.
Also I LOVE her new haircut, looks so good on her.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 93 Discussion

ETX - Oct 27, 2015

27 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 86 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Sep 9, 2015

19 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.