Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2015 9:43 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sorry if the past episode discussions have been a bit confusing. That skipped episode due to the earthquake in Japan has kind of messed up the episode discussions.

This is the Moltres episode. I must say, Fletchinder evolving was quite dramatic. Moltres was red hot powerful and not happy. Ash and friends would have been grilled meat had Fletchinder not evolved. Even then as a Talanflame it lost to Moltres. First time I see Ash go all reckless, jumping into a volcano pool to save Talonflame.

Seems like Talonflame is a bit on the small side. I was expecting it to be a bit bigger, around Ash's Pidgeot size. Overall not a bad episode. Here I thought Zapdos was the grumpy one lol

Preview for next episode: Tyrunt and Eureka. Seems like we're going to see another XY Pokemon debut.

Sep 9, 2015 9:56 PM

Jun 2012
Ash sure is dumb, instead of calling back Talonflame he jumps into a volcano.
Sep 9, 2015 10:03 PM

Feb 2012
oh moltres, zapdos, articundo yeah i met them back in kanto....also doesnt mention he had a badass charmeleon
Sep 10, 2015 11:52 AM

Apr 2011
Brave Bird.
Sep 10, 2015 6:54 PM

Feb 2014
Shuhan said:

lmao this
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Sep 12, 2015 11:16 PM

Oct 2014
SweetGelato said:
Seems like Talonflame is a bit on the small side. I was expecting it to be a bit bigger, around Ash's Pidgeot size.

Compared to Nami's Talonflame from XY37, it's a lot bigger in size. Pokemon sizes in the anime fluctuate so it's not really important anyway.

Shuhan said:

You do know that the recall function on the Pokeballs is limited to a certain distance, right? Considering gravity is doing it's job of forcing Talonflame down, Ash wouldn't of had time to recall Talonflame in time.

rafi160 said:
oh moltres, zapdos, articundo yeah i met them back in kanto....also doesnt mention he had a badass charmeleon

Ash met them in the Orange Islands, however most of the times the movies are loosely cannon so people don't pay correlate the events of them to the anime.

Anyway, movies aside Ash has never seen Moltres in the flesh int he anime until this episode. He saw Articuno in Johto and later in Hoenn and Zapdos also in Johto and later again in Hoenn.

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Sep 14, 2015 7:16 PM

Mar 2014
ETX said:
SweetGelato said:
Seems like Talonflame is a bit on the small side. I was expecting it to be a bit bigger, around Ash's Pidgeot size.

Compared to Nami's Talonflame from XY37, it's a lot bigger in size. Pokemon sizes in the anime fluctuate so it's not really important anyway.

Shuhan said:

You do know that the recall function on the Pokeballs is limited to a certain distance, right? Considering gravity is doing it's job of forcing Talonflame down, Ash wouldn't of had time to recall Talonflame in time.

rafi160 said:

Ash met them in the Orange Islands, however most of the times the movies are loosely cannon so people don't pay correlate the events of them to the anime.

Anyway, movies aside Ash has never seen Moltres in the flesh int he anime until this episode. He saw Articuno in Johto and later in Hoenn and Zapdos also in Johto and later again in Hoenn.
So instead of just watching his Pokémon die Ash decided it was best if he killed himself along with it, genius.
Sep 18, 2015 5:09 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Paulo27 said:
ETX said:

So instead of just watching his Pokémon die Ash decided it was best if he killed himself along with it, genius.

It's called loving your Pokemon. Sure he took a reckless decision but he did so because he cared about his friend. Plus he had his frog Pokemon out so he was probably conscious that he could be used to help Ash and Talonflame back up.

Sep 18, 2015 5:51 AM

Mar 2014
SweetGelato said:
It's called loving your Pokemon. Sure he took a reckless decision but he did so because he cared about his friend. Plus he had his frog Pokemon out so he was probably conscious that he could be used to help Ash and Talonflame back up.
Just because I see someone I care about jump off a cliff it doesn't mean I'm going to jump off with them, that's fucking retarded.
It'd be funny if he couldn't be pulled up after he jumped down because he was too heavy, Talonflame should be like half of what Ash weights which also means he's going to fall a bit slower, so Ash is really just rushing them to their dead while reducing the chances of them being pulled up. Genius.
Sep 18, 2015 6:04 AM

Dec 2013
Ash jumping off a skyscraper to save Pikachu in the first or second episode was mainly the reason why dropped the series. I cringed so hard I had to go outside to breath in oxygen to calm down.
Sep 20, 2015 7:28 AM

Jul 2013
It's actually the 1st time Ash has jumped into the volcano. I think it's also the second time one of Ash's Pokemon falls into the Volcano, the other being Chaizard back in season 1.

We shouldn't expect Ash to be smart at times. He has a habit of making rash decisions.
Oct 16, 2015 9:05 PM

Oct 2014
Ugh. I know Ash does stupid things, but I shouted at my screen in this one. First of all, even if we completely ignore heat convection (the air in and probably nearby the volcano would be as hot as the magma in the volcano,) Ash shouldn't have even been able to jump that far to reach Talonflame, and the fact that he almost fell into the pit of an active volcano is what broke my suspension of disbelief. And I already suspend my disbelief pretty high for this series. There's a difference between rash and dangerous or suicidal. It seems like they could have made this episode a little differently so that Ash didn't have inhuman

Still, Trevor showing up with Charmeleon, Moltres of all pokemon making an appearance, and Fletchinder evolving, made for a pretty interesting episode.
Dec 16, 2015 3:32 AM

Nov 2014
The beginning was funny xD I'm glad Ash knew right away that it was a Charmeleon and didn't look it up in the Pokedex. I mean, I understand WHY they have him do that sometimes, but I'm glad he didn't do it with this one. xD (Serena did it because she's new though)

Pikachu running up to Charmeleon was so cute! Pikachu probably did that because it remembered Ash's Charmeleon. Although Trevors Charmeleon seems to act just like Ash's! At first anyway. My first thought when he got hit with it's Flamethrower was "I wonder if Trevor told his Charmeleon to go easy on a Paras too..."

This was a great episode! The animation was great too. It looks like a lot of work was put into it. Especially the flames! And the part where Fletchinder evolved. And Ash's face after it evolved. I dunno why, but I just loved his face in that scene. Moltres was really pretty looking too. Like when it was surrounded by flames especially.

You'd think after the last time they saw Moltres, Team Rocket would know better than to mess with a Moltres xD

It would have been funny if Ash were like "Oh, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres? Yeah, I've met them. Saved the world from them, actually. Y'know, the usual. Wanna meet my Charizard?"
BlackFox24Dec 16, 2015 3:44 AM
Dec 19, 2015 4:43 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah Ash should have known Charmeleon lol.

A really awesome episode.

Moltres looked awesome and was really awesome fighting.

I can't believe Ash jumped in to the volcano, how dumb and reckess can this boy get? use your Pokeball Ash, that's what it's for. Don't die for Talonflame who since he is a fire type would probably survive a volcano, I'mma just sayin'. It'd be more realistic if he wasn't saved. Like hell can those Pokemon always use something and somehow catch them just at the last second. In real life they'd fail one time and it'd be goodbye for Ash.

I didn't expect Fletchinder to evolve in the Talonflame mid battle, that was kinda cool but still didn't do it much good since it still got defeated lol.

Team Rocket were funny as usual. I can't remember the last time they saw Moltres lol. But yeah that would have been funny lol.
Oct 2, 2016 7:53 PM

Dec 2012
I must say, that is one ugly looking Lizardo. Satoshi's Lizardo looked better.

Even Trova wants to smash Serena.

Oh snap. An actual battle before reaching the town.

This would have been a good time for Satoshi to mention the legendary pokemon he's seen.

Of course Fire would be in the volcano.

When Fire shot that Flamethrower at Satoshi and co. and the scene changed to Hinoyakoma fighting to get up, I realized it was going to evolve.

Scumbag Hinoyakoma had a cool evolution scene.

Damn. I was hoping Volt would play.

Of course Satoshi would risk his life to save scumbag Fiarrow.
RobOct 2, 2016 7:56 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 23, 2016 6:16 PM

May 2013
Lol everyone seems to have different opinions on Ash jumping into the lava, I actually loved it and it kind of gave me the feels. It was rash but it shows that he's willing to do anything to help or save his Pokemon. He really loves and cares for his Pokemon. Fletchider had an amazing evolution and battle, of course it was outclassed by a Moltres but it was badass when it evolved and fought what a great scene. This is one of my favourite episodes so far.

Mar 19, 2020 12:52 PM

Dec 2008
From the title I thought we might see a return of Toru/Todd/Snap, but nope. It's just new character with a hobby. It does seem like a throwback, since iirc the last time we saw Todd he was looking to take a picture of a different legendary bird.

Battle with Moltres was intense, loved it!

Satoshi/ash is being pretty consistently reckless for his pokemon friends.
Feb 14, 2022 9:54 PM

Sep 2017
Why did Ash jump into the volcano to save Talonflame instead of just returning it to its pokeball? 🤣
He almosted died by flamethrower and almosted died by jumping into a volcano.

Talonflame is stronk and great pokemon design.
great addition to the teams power.
Nov 21, 2023 1:51 AM

Feb 2020
Enquanto eu assistia pokemão em 2021, lá no episódio 59 da série Pokémon de 1997, o magmar do Blaine arremessa o charizard de Ash em um vulcão, mas charizard sai ileso voando de lá

0:49
https://twitter.com/Nerdason/status/1459919389499797515?t=pcNVXGvirpnZg-ONmbQRzw&s=19

Eu acho que talonflame teria sobrevivido se caísse dentro do vulcão, pois o mesmo tem exatamente a mesma tipagem do charizard
Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode, Moltres looked fantastic in the art style of XY!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 93 Discussion

ETX - Oct 27, 2015

27 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 71 Discussion

Tanma - May 7, 2015

20 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.