Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 28, 2009 12:25 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

This time, the narrator voices Meros, instead of the main character, the author.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 29, 2009 5:17 PM

Jul 2009
WOW, big wow, is there any one other anime episode at all that can even come near to compete with the awesomeness of this one here?

I think im pretty much speechless right now as to what to praise or complain about this episode (ok, well, except the slight BL theme. lol i hate Shojo and BL~) That was really epic, and even though i have already a great feeling how the actual thing was, but I still can not wait to check out the next episode of this one, thats gonna be great! ~

My respect to whoever produced this episode!

tsubasalover said:
So... according to intro., the novel was created because of the author's debt?
The novel itself is a greece mythology as I understand it, and the man is only the script writer of its theatre adaption. I think he said it is hard to refuse a friends request even though he himself doesnt really want to do it. Implying that the woman is a some-kind friend of his.

"Even so, he doesn't think he's an unfortunate person. Or rather, there's no way that a fortunate person can write a novel. He writes novel as he taste his misfortune. "
Isnt there a logic mistake between those 2 sentences? :-) Or are you saying he is neither fortunate nor unfortunate, like umineko? ;-)

"Conversation between Meros and his friend, who is in the jail. His friend believes in Meros that he will surely come back in three days. (with some BL moment...) His friend gave him his gold necklace, horse with A on it, and touched his face, told him to definitely come back. "
Lol, i thought that wasnt really so BL, not as much as the scene later with the man and his actór friend anyway~

well, dont think I can hold back my speculation anymore, goning to write it ~ xD

i think the whole thing is quite simple, only that the guy hasnt realized it himself.
His friend, that gifted actor, was in fact acting not only 1 time but 2 times during the crying scene, it was an act in act. (what an actor~)
First he acted as if there were tears because he laughed so hard, which only appeared to be so fake that the guy asked him what's wrong. Well, the tears were an act as well. (lol trolled~) It was his plan from the very beginning to show him tears and thus to tell his plan of leaving for Tokyo.
Now question is why would he (the actor) do that and then leave his friend alone in the station? well, because that was his plan as well. (wow, what a huge plan lol~)

So now here is the truth: the actor friend of this writer saw so much talent in his friend, so much that the writer himself didnt even realize. (aka the scene when he threw his own scripts into fire) He understood the small town(?) where they lived was not enough to show his talent, and he as an actor would only restrain his creativity if the writer only wants what the actor is. (aka the script in fire scene again) So he (the actor) made the decision to send his friend to Tokyo alone to free his genius.
Drawback of the plan is that, it can not be spoken and misunderstanding will be created, but he is willing to sacrifice all that~
So all in all, the one to blame isnt the actor, but the navie writer who doesnt trust someone who he considered a true friend~
vinesageNov 29, 2009 6:09 PM
Nov 29, 2009 9:40 PM

Jul 2007
I have a feeling I'm going to like this one from this series the most. 8D;
- blog
DeviantArt | Domain | Ryuu-Rogue fansubs - Digimon + Inazuma Eleven
Nov 29, 2009 10:07 PM

Jun 2009
I liked the first episode of the 走れメロス adaption quite much, because it's very liberally based on Osamu Dazai's work...they surely added something with the frame-story, even though I really found it a bit heavily leaning towards BL at times.

The only thing I think that many people seem to get wrong a bit, is the part about the play involving the Damon and Pythias myth (which was later turned into the story around Meros and Selinuntius by Schiller)...or I see it that wrong.
As far as I understood it is never even made clear if they actually staged that play, because it serves more as a antithesis towards his friendship with the actor.
But even if, the Meros story he is writing is being written by him in the times when he already went to Tokyo...the play is only the connection to his memories, at least that is how I see it.
At times he is starting to mix his memories of the Meros story up with what actually happened. He is supposed to write a story that resembles the legend (a story about dear friendship that proves strong against hardships), but he himself doesn't believe in such a kind of friendship...he still believes that his only real friend betrayed him.

We'll have to see how the frame story actually turns out, but I think something as indicated by vinesage could prove to be true.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Dec 5, 2009 4:19 PM
Jun 2008
Its so hard to create a fake story....thus writer always rely on their past to tell their story =P

So is he going to be just waiting or be waited for by him?
MorningGloryDec 5, 2009 4:48 PM
Dec 8, 2009 9:47 PM
Feb 2009
tsubasalover said:
The train scene was part of past, it was because he rode the train without waiting for his friend, he had guilt because he betrayed him. He saw his friend from outside the window. He threw the clock? to him but missed.
I thought his yaoi friend ditched him, and that he threw the clock back at him, because he was pissed off at him, for not getting on. The clock pendant probably wouldn't have been shown broken otherwise. And when he arrived at Tokyo, he just stayed, I guess. But no???

Unlike you people, this one is my least favorite so far.
Dec 8, 2009 11:18 PM

Jul 2009
HELL YEAZ, FAPULOUS YAOI IS FAPULOUS!!! XD

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Dec 8, 2009 11:34 PM
Feb 2009
Holy crap, this is like, the best episode...ever!
I had originally gave a low score to this show, but perhaps I'll consider rating it higher.
And yeah, it does look like yaoi, but still, there was a plot! And it was really well developed and interesting, so who cares! :D
The ending was so unexpected. O_O
Maybe that's what happened to Melos in the end, too. Oh noes!
Dec 8, 2009 11:38 PM

Jul 2009
So no women in this arc eh? This could be interesting
Dec 8, 2009 11:55 PM

Jun 2009
So the actor is acting it in order to send his friend off to tokyo to become a writer=]
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Dec 9, 2009 3:28 AM

Sep 2009
Accomodating vinesages theory :

The actor knew the writer wouldnt be able to able to shine out his carrier if he always relies on his actor friend . Joushima wanted the writer to be independent as the writer seems to be someone who would be away from people , doubting themselves about their own talents etc.

So Joushima maybe has a chronic sickness , or maybe he has to go to a smaller town than the one hes living in , or he has to give up his acting carrier (Nobody knows yet) = these factors could effect the writers future hence maybe he sent him to Tokyo.

Joushima ditched the writer because he loved him , the writer thinks he was betrayed.

The directors should be awarded , the whole play scene , character design , everything was amazing = my words dont do what this anime actually deserves!

Wow!!!!!!!! little yaoi moments was so beautiful *blush* *blush*
Yaoi *screams* , *yay* ~ sugoi~ --more yaoi pls :P

Definitely 2nd best , dont know why the Yozo story was too magnificent to me :)
Dec 9, 2009 3:38 AM

Apr 2009
last week, when i heard mafuyu from seitokai no ichizon trying to find a BL book and found "Hashire, Melos", i was expecting something about friendship for this next novel and the BL would just be overinterpretation.. but NO.. they made it obvious to me and i am a little turned off as it is not just the story but also the writer's situation.. but oh well.. trying to ignore stuff, i say this episode is good.. it makes me realize again how closely related the writers are to some of the works they write and even influence it..
Dec 9, 2009 4:51 AM
Jun 2008
argilium said:
i was expecting something about friendship.....

Yes, its bout' friendship... finish episode 10 then you will find out ^^
Dec 9, 2009 7:11 AM

Feb 2008
Did anyone noticed that they used in this episode the same soundtrack from Moryou no Hako ? The art is very similar too ! I wonder why...

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Dec 9, 2009 1:28 PM

Jul 2008
so another tragic story about a writer, i wonder what story that play hes writing about is based off?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Dec 9, 2009 4:49 PM

Jul 2008
very interestin...I like it so far..and I never mind yaoi moments :)

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Dec 9, 2009 8:05 PM

Feb 2009
kage-bunshin said:
so another tragic story about a writer, i wonder what story that play hes writing about is based off?

The play is based on Schiller's "The Hostage" which is based on a Greek legend.

It seems that the stories based on Dazai's books have better directors assigned to them than other books. This arc and "No longer human" arc are nicely done.

Dec 9, 2009 9:35 PM

May 2009
Absolutely wonderful episode. This is without a doubt my favorite story so far. The narration great and the animation was wonderful as always.

BitchMaster said:

ZulyDec 10, 2009 8:31 AM
Dec 10, 2009 12:04 PM

Dec 2009
_Me_ said:
tsubasalover said:
The train scene was part of past, it was because he rode the train without waiting for his friend, he had guilt because he betrayed him. He saw his friend from outside the window. He threw the clock? to him but missed.

I thought his yaoi friend ditched him, and that he threw the clock back at him, because he was pissed off at him, for not getting on. The clock pendant probably wouldn't have been shown broken otherwise. And when he arrived at Tokyo, he just stayed, I guess. But no???

Unlike you people, this one is my least favorite so far.

I thought something along those lines.
The actor told the main character that he was going to Tokyo and invited him there, but really he just wanted to detach from his friend for some reason. That's why in the end the actor sighed and the main man threw the watch at him... At least that was what I thought.

I'm liking Hashire Melos lot. More likely, I'm liking Dazai's novels. And Also, Tite Kubo did the character dising, and it's always hard for me to say no to his desings.

I'm loking foward for the next ep.
Dec 10, 2009 1:16 PM

Dec 2009
This arc could possibly be the best one if they wrap it up properly, so far No Longer Human is my fav.

I really like how they start it out with that quote, which I forgot the exact wording, at first I almost dismissed it as incredulous, but at the end I am on the fence about which is harder, I hope the second part doesn't stink like ep 8.
Dec 11, 2009 5:42 AM
Jul 2009
this arc isn't my favorite but i liked it a lot. i love the way how meros refers to the writer in some parts. it's an excellent story.
about the soundtracks: some of them were also in mouryou no hako~
Dec 12, 2009 7:32 AM

Mar 2009
Fuck yeah, this looks to be the best arc yet! The direction is at least as good as it was for No Longer Human, the story is much more down-to-earth than the past two arcs have been, and the animation was total awesome. The BL overtones aren't bothersome because I've seen much less subtle examples of such, and the style and story outshine them.
Dec 12, 2009 7:35 AM

Sep 2007
I noticed a small similarity with Millennium Actress. Anyone else caught this?
Dec 13, 2009 1:19 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
awesome we're back to the art style that i like!

BitchMaster said:
QFT

i'm really excited to see how this arc ends!
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 13, 2009 5:07 PM
Mar 2009
Mouryou no hako *_*
So nostalgic...
Devil in the details
Dec 14, 2009 2:28 PM
Dec 2007
Splendid episode. Well, Hashire Melos mixed with Mouryou no Hako can't but be fantastic.

By far the best arc for now with No Longer Human.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 17, 2009 3:54 PM

May 2008
BitchMaster said:

I second that ;DD Twas sexy indeed.

Dec 20, 2009 4:50 AM

Jan 2008
This and No Longer Human are the best arcs, I think. The last one was pretty fine too, but this one really grows on me.
Dec 21, 2009 3:46 PM

May 2009
Wow. The animation and art were really amazing for this episode. Everything was great.
Dec 26, 2009 9:23 AM

Jun 2008
Oh why do Japanese still touch ancient Greek and Roman stories, when they so gloriously fail at it.
They are so blatantly copying Schiller, that they didn't even change the names from Mölos, which Schiller himself corrected some years after writing, to the historically more founded Damos.
The same goes for Dionysios who as a proud Greek for unknown reasons wears the equipment of the common Roman soldier.

Apart from that - too much BL (it suits ancient Greek though)
Dec 27, 2009 6:28 PM

Jul 2007
KayChan4U said:
BitchMaster said:

I second that ;DD Twas sexy indeed.

I third this. D8;;;;;;;;;;;
- blog
DeviantArt | Domain | Ryuu-Rogue fansubs - Digimon + Inazuma Eleven
Dec 28, 2009 8:49 AM

Jun 2009
Proselyt said:
Oh why do Japanese still touch ancient Greek and Roman stories, when they so gloriously fail at it.
They are so blatantly copying Schiller, that they didn't even change the names from Mölos, which Schiller himself corrected some years after writing, to the historically more founded Damos.
The same goes for Dionysios who as a proud Greek for unknown reasons wears the equipment of the common Roman soldier.

The original author WAS copying Schiller and it is a known fact by now.
But what about the Japanese 'still' touching this stuff, you know that the story this is based on is from 1940. Therefore of course he used Mölos.
And I think you shouldn't blame a depiction of a play in the 1930's or so rate for it's correct depiction of ancient southern European clothes.
It's the same when an American company does a 'ninja movie' and they put in so much crosscultural 3rd space nonsense that it's starting to hurt...only that in this case they weren't even depicting an actual time, just a depiction of a play (which would of course be incorrect in the 1930's in Japan).
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Dec 28, 2009 6:56 PM

Mar 2009
I really liked this best so far.

Jan 5, 2010 2:49 PM

Sep 2009
It´s the best arc so far to me.
Jan 16, 2010 3:47 PM

Oct 2009
I liked this episode much more than the previous ones. I hope this arc will be more interesting, because so far Aoi Bungaku was just ok.
Jan 30, 2010 3:45 PM

Aug 2009
Meh, is it just me or this episode looked pretty normal. It didn't impress me like the other arcs, but it was still good I have to admit that. I just don't like yaoi, that's all, lol. What's so great about yaoi? I don't see the big deal of two men onto each other.

Okay so 15 years ago, the writer and the actor planned to leave their hometown and decide to go to tokyo. On the planned time, only the writer showed up in the train station.

First thing, why did he ride the train in the first place if his friend still wasn't there? Second, looked like the actor ditched him for some reason because the writer saw him outside the train looking at him like it was all part of his plan.
Feb 13, 2010 8:35 PM

Mar 2009
Interesting, though I did notice the BL part =="
Didn't expect that.
May 26, 2010 9:38 PM

Jul 2007
Very interesting, my favorite story since the first one.
I also like how they are using the music from Mouryou no Hako :]

Looking forward to seeing how this one ends.
Jun 8, 2010 11:40 PM

Jan 2008
Things are going well so far. Hope the ending will be good.
Jul 29, 2010 4:07 PM

Aug 2009
I loved this one! characters development was awesome
Sep 3, 2010 11:02 AM

Apr 2010
now this was good i like that his past situation ties into the Melos story and how his sexy friend looks like him 2!
also I smell a lil love in the air...but i doubt it will come thru since I see now he's all alone...
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Oct 30, 2010 8:58 PM

Oct 2009
Jeeeeeze, nearly all of this was filler >_<

Oct 30, 2010 9:07 PM

Oct 2009
seizonsha said:
Proselyt said:

The original author WAS copying Schiller and it is a known fact by now.
But what about the Japanese 'still' touching this stuff, you know that the story this is based on is from 1940. Therefore of course he used Mölos.
And I think you shouldn't blame a depiction of a play in the 1930's or so rate for it's correct depiction of ancient southern European clothes.
It's the same when an American company does a 'ninja movie' and they put in so much crosscultural 3rd space nonsense that it's starting to hurt...only that in this case they weren't even depicting an actual time, just a depiction of a play (which would of course be incorrect in the 1930's in Japan).

No, the original Story Run, Melos! was not a story of someone writing a play. Most of this episode was filler. Run, Melos! by Osamu Dazai depicts not of someone writing a play, but a setting back in that time where people believed in the Greek gods.

May 15, 2011 4:29 PM

Nov 2010
Great episode.
Apr 22, 2012 12:24 PM

Jan 2010
Definitely not sure what to make of all this yet. The frame story certainly gives a lot to think about, in connection with the actual Run, Melos play.

And was it just me, or was the animation extra good for this episode? Lots of interesting camera work, and lots of lush scenery. Quite beautiful and dramatic.
Jul 19, 2012 10:28 PM

Jun 2008
Trusx said:
And Also, Tite Kubo did the character dising, and it's always hard for me to say no to his desings.

Pretty sure Kubo-sensei only designed the bandit arc's characters... >.>

----------

MOURYOU NO HAKO!! I nearly screamed it. I loved MnH so much. Same designs and all, even the central character is a writer (with the same seiyuu I must add). Heck, isn't the background music the same too? O_o And I'm not saying the same composer, I'm saying it's exact same melody O_o
Aug 19, 2012 3:15 AM

May 2012
Don't really like this arc but i'll keep watching!
Sep 7, 2012 4:02 AM

Mar 2010
this one is kinda confusing
lets see where it goes
Jun 17, 2013 3:20 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very few anime can really be called art. This is one of them.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 8, 2013 6:38 PM

Mar 2012
Interesting so far, let's see how it turns out in the next episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Dec 5, 2009

154 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 16, 2023 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.