Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2015 4:56 AM
Sep 2013
It has yuri, it's from the same creator as Penguindrum and Utena, and it's pretty enjoyable, even moreso than any harem/ecchi/fujoshi-pandering anime out there. Or even crap like Glasslip or Sora no Method.

It may be horrible for now, at least it'll get better as it ends.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 15, 2015 6:07 AM
Jul 2009
Numerical review scores are meaningless. You should be asking why people are even allowed to review shows that are still airing, or why game journalists are allowed to post reviews for 60 hour RPGs they haven't finished.

They shouldn't be, and scores from sites that allow these things are meaningless.
Jan 15, 2015 6:43 AM
Sep 2009
This is awesome.
Jan 15, 2015 11:27 AM

Jul 2012
Come on, it's only been two episodes. Wait for the meat of the series.
Jan 15, 2015 11:40 AM

Oct 2012
I think this is very good. But it takes a huge investment of time and effort in order
to appreciate it -- for me at least. So for example I have to watch each episode
multiple times. Then I have to read the MAL threads. In the end, it is rewarding.
However, I can certainly understand how many people could look at it and lose
interest.

This cour, my brain-turned-off, laugh-out-loud, moeblob trash series is "Military!".
okanaganJan 15, 2015 11:48 AM
Jan 15, 2015 2:32 PM

Mar 2009
What? It's been really good so far.
Jan 15, 2015 3:29 PM

Oct 2012
The official MyAnimeList definition of the "Yuri" genre might be misleading some
viewers:

Yuri - Anime whose central theme is a sexual relationship
. . . . .between two girls or women. This implies Hentai.

See here: http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=genre

It's understandable that many people are going to start the series hoping to see a
lot of hot girl-on-girl action, which is what the OP seems to be promising. And then
instead they are shown one bear sniffing another bear's behind.
Jan 15, 2015 3:29 PM

Jul 2012
There IS hot girl-on-girl action? You guys must be thirsty if you didn't think that was enough.
Jan 15, 2015 5:00 PM

Oct 2008
i haven't seen any actual valid criticisms of this show so far.
Jan 15, 2015 10:32 PM

Apr 2011
It's pure fucking garbage. That's why it's so bad.
Jan 15, 2015 10:35 PM

Dec 2013
Why is the anime community so toxic? I too, think this is bad, but you don't see me creating threads seeking validation for my opinion.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 16, 2015 12:23 AM

Mar 2013
It's nothing bad but heaps of idiots are dropping this at episode one due to it not being full on yuri.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jan 16, 2015 12:31 AM

Apr 2012
Not sure what you mean by so bad OP, a single episode has been better than a whole cour of Cross Ange.
Jan 16, 2015 1:30 AM

Mar 2010
Yuri Kuma is on of those shows that as long as you don't take it seriously is entertaining.
Same with Cross Ange. I actually really like that show. Not because of it's plot or "plot" but because it's stupidly entertaining.

Don't expect every show to be steins gate level material. Learn to watch shows for what they are and not for what you want them to be.

And for the guy that wants to ban journalist for reviewing rpgs 60h in. Who the fuck would play a game that don't like for 60h and still expect it to get better later on. The amount of free time people have these days.
Jan 16, 2015 4:11 AM

Mar 2012
I'll give you points for posting in the right section, but you didn't actually make any real criticisms of the show.

EratiK said:
Not sure what you mean by so bad OP, a single episode has been better than a whole cour of Cross Ange.
Not to say Yurikuma isn't the bee's knees, but doesn't the same apply to about 80% of anime out there?

Xenlai said:
Yuri Kuma is on of those shows that as long as you don't take it seriously is entertaining.
Same with Cross Ange. I actually really like that show. Not because of it's plot or "plot" but because it's stupidly entertaining.
Don't expect every show to be steins gate level material.

Get a load of this casual.
SeibaaHomuJan 16, 2015 4:16 AM
Jan 16, 2015 7:34 AM

Nov 2012
Xenlai said:

Don't expect every show to be steins gate level material. Learn to watch shows for what they are and not for what you want them to be.
What do you mean by take it seriously? Turn your brain off?
Steins Gate level material? Steins Gate is a very simple anime to follow through and without as much depth, if you want to appreciate an Ikuhara anime on the other hand, then you need to pay attention to detail and take it seriously, most of the anime evenets are abstract and to be analised as a compound, Cross Ange and SteinsGate are much more similar to one another in this sense.
Jan 16, 2015 8:31 AM
Sep 2009
This show isn't bad in the slightest. However, it is Ikuhara at perhaps his most extreme yet, as well as his most sexually overt. This makes the show sort of inaccessible to people who aren't familiar with Ikuhara's brand of surreal weirdness. It is strange, purposefully obtuse, and filled with sexuality that the uninitiated casual viewer might pass off as smut. Of course, anyone who knows Ikuhara's work expects the show to turn into a brilliant mind-screw that subverts the tropes attached to it, and go to some deep and dark places. However, for anyone unfamiliar with Ikuhara's work, the show might come across too strongly to be easily accessible. Unfortunately, inaccessible = low MAL scores.
NeverKnowsBest26Jan 16, 2015 8:36 AM
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jan 16, 2015 10:09 AM

Oct 2012
Just now, I have been looking carefully through the Japanese-language Wikipedia
article about Ikuhara, which is here:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B9%BE%E5%8E%9F%E9%82%A6%E5%BD%A6

It is absolutely the strangest, most bizarre, most inconsistent thing that I have
ever seen -- or could even imagine. If this article is in any way accurate, then
Ikuhara seems like an impossible person to describe in ordinary terms. All I can
see is weird random thing after weird random thing after weird random thing.

Nothing is standard or predictable. He takes on the oddest tasks and projects.

So, this series might turn out great. On the other hand, it seems equally likely
that he could go through another one of his incomprehensible transformations
at any moment.
Jan 16, 2015 2:14 PM

Aug 2014
it's a very acquired taste.

some might feel it's a bit pretentious, some might love the style overall.

personally, I didn't like penguin drum and yuri kuma gives off the same vibe to it.

though I can understand why people do enjoy watching it.
Jan 16, 2015 3:52 PM

Dec 2013
this is one of the those shows where describing it as pretentious is actually accurate
Jan 16, 2015 4:15 PM

Mar 2012
E_1999 said:
this is one of the those shows where describing it as pretentious is actually accurate
> Ctrl+ F 'Penguindrum'
> 0 results
> Ctrl + F 'Utena'
> 0 results

Better luck next time
Jan 16, 2015 4:29 PM

Dec 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
E_1999 said:
> Ctrl+ F 'Penguindrum'
> 0 results
> Ctrl + F 'Utena'
> 0 results

Better luck next time

nice memes kiddo
Jan 16, 2015 4:37 PM

Dec 2012
E_1999 said:
Jan 16, 2015 4:57 PM

Mar 2012
E_1999 said:
SeibaaHomu said:
> Ctrl+ F 'Penguindrum'
> 0 results
> Ctrl + F 'Utena'
> 0 results

Better luck next time

nice memes kiddo
Nice snarky ironic response daddy-o

You criticised the entirety of Yurikuma with a single buzzword at a point in the series where its intentions in the long run would be near impossible to predict even for hardcore Ikuhara fans. At the same time, you don't know anything about Ikuhara so your idea of how it's going to turn out and what everything means would be even more innacurate. It's a very empty criticism.
Jan 16, 2015 10:08 PM

Mar 2010
Haha

Comon guys, I kinda like this show but let's be perfectly honest here. Deeper meenings? plot? this anime? ha.

Just because the author created a few controversial pieces in the past that obviously twickd your brain enough to comment about it doesn't mean that everything else he makes is a mystery novel.

You can find deeper meanings in EVERYTHING :D
Even in an abstract newspaper article.
Jan 16, 2015 11:44 PM

Nov 2013
It's hilarious watching people defend this anime. Just because it's by the director of your favorite mindfuck anime doesn't mean his next work will be just as good.

Jan 17, 2015 2:17 AM

Nov 2012
bro listen, this show is created by legendary iku-something who cares anyway. it must be masterpiece right? its 2deep4u only smart people would understand and like this anime. pure masterpiece

worse than urobuchi fags...
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Jan 17, 2015 3:10 AM

Nov 2013
ninjastarforcex said:
bro listen, this show is created by legendary iku-something who cares anyway. it must be masterpiece right? its 2deep4u only smart people would understand and like this anime. pure masterpiece

worse than urobuchi fags...

It's still a better assumption than saying "it's pretentious" after 2 episodes.
Jan 17, 2015 7:09 AM

Apr 2010
I love when people throw the "pretentious" word around the moment a show has symbolism.

I guess they just don't get Ikuhara's greatness. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 17, 2015 7:13 AM

Jul 2014
You should see this more as a piece of art. It is just so gaudy and interesting mixed with daring themes. Anime directed by Ikuhara are just really original and stand out from the majority of anime. Just like Utena and Penguindrum, I guess.
Jan 17, 2015 7:15 AM

Apr 2010
Pabilsag said:
You should see this more as a piece of art. It is just so gaudy and interesting mixed with daring themes. Anime directed by Ikuhara are just really original and stand out from the majority of anime. Just like Utena and Penguindrum, I guess.

They are like classic books, in a way.
Jan 17, 2015 9:00 AM

Sep 2010
This is one of the worst first impressions I ever got of an anime.
Jan 17, 2015 10:40 AM

Oct 2013
MarkFlowers said:
It has yuri

That's why.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 17, 2015 12:46 PM

Apr 2012
I'm still not sure the purpose of threads like these. Lord knows there are plenty of anime series I do not like, but I see no reason to go to those msg boards and try to ruin other people's enjoyment of the series.
Jan 17, 2015 4:43 PM

Mar 2010
deadbilly said:
I'm still not sure the purpose of threads like these. Lord knows there are plenty of anime series I do not like, but I see no reason to go to those msg boards and try to ruin other people's enjoyment of the series.

Actually, most people here, including me, enjoy this show so far. There are though a very few "hard core fans" who will attack anyone who dare state an opinion different than their own.

Some people want to believe this is an anime with deeper hidden meanings and enjoy it based on that. Most people enjoy it for its uniqueness and because of course it has yuri ;)
Jan 17, 2015 4:55 PM

Dec 2012
Xenlai said:
deadbilly said:

Actually, most people here, including me, enjoy this show so far. There are though a very few "hard core fans" who will attack anyone who dare state an opinion different than their own.

Some people want to believe this is an anime with deeper hidden meanings and enjoy it based on that. Most people enjoy it for its uniqueness and because of course it has yuri ;)

I mean, it has an appealing art style. That's about it for me though
Jan 17, 2015 6:40 PM

Mar 2012
Xenlai said:
Why is it that when some people get criticised for their shitty opinions they just ignore the main point of what they're saying and dumb it down to a simple disagreement? I mean, several people have told you outright what is wrong with what you're saying yet you still don't get it.

Let me spell it out for you. Basically, you're putting yourself on a pedestal above people who appreciate Ikuhara's work even though you have no idea what you're talking about. Actually, it's more like you're putting yourself on a pedestal BECAUSE you don't know what you're talking about and apparently that makes you the rational one here.

Cross Ange is a stupid, trashy mecha show. There isn't much in the way of deeper meanings or complex themes and you can easily enjoy it at face value alone. Hell, that's pretty much the only way you can enjoy the series. Steins;Gate is a far, far better written series and deeper analysis wouldn't be a complete waste of time but like Cross Ange most of what you see is what you get. It's main focus is to entertain the viewer which is a valid approach to making a series. Some of the best movies and TV shows of all time can be fully enjoyed at face value.

Ikuhara does not make shows like that. His shows are undeniably entertaining and have lots of visual flair but if you 'turn off your brain' (Like you seem to think is the best way of watching Yurikuma) you're just going to get confused and lost once the show really starts to delve into its themes which just isn't fun. On the other hand, speculating about what everything means and trying to figure out which direction the show is going in by actually paying attention is a lot of fun.
Jan 17, 2015 7:29 PM

Dec 2012
SeibaaHomu said:
Xenlai said:
Why is it that when some people get criticised for their shitty opinions they just ignore the main point of what they're saying and dumb it down to a simple disagreement? I mean, several people have told you outright what is wrong with what you're saying yet you still don't get it.

Let me spell it out for you. Basically, you're putting yourself on a pedestal above people who appreciate Ikuhara's work even though you have no idea what you're talking about. Actually, it's more like you're putting yourself on a pedestal BECAUSE you don't know what you're talking about and apparently that makes you the rational one here.

Cross Ange is a stupid, trashy mecha show. There isn't much in the way of deeper meanings or complex themes and you can easily enjoy it at face value alone. Hell, that's pretty much the only way you can enjoy the series. Steins;Gate is a far, far better written series and deeper analysis wouldn't be a complete waste of time but like Cross Ange most of what you see is what you get. It's main focus is to entertain the viewer which is a valid approach to making a series. Some of the best movies and TV shows of all time can be fully enjoyed at face value.

Ikuhara does not make shows like that. His shows are undeniably entertaining and have lots of visual flair but if you 'turn off your brain' (Like you seem to think is the best way of watching Yurikuma) you're just going to get confused and lost once the show really starts to delve into its themes which just isn't fun. On the other hand, speculating about what everything means and trying to figure out which direction the show is going in by actually paying attention is a lot of fun.

Well instead off attacking us, Please tell us why we should enjoy this show. I would be willing to give it a proper chance if you can come up with a nice explanation.
Jan 17, 2015 11:48 PM

Oct 2008
Objurgo said:
SeibaaHomu said:

Well instead off attacking us, Please tell us why we should enjoy this show. I would be willing to give it a proper chance if you can come up with a nice explanation.

did you read the last paragraph? he told you exactly why you should enjoy it.
Jan 17, 2015 11:51 PM

Dec 2012
BigSimo said:
Objurgo said:

did you read the last paragraph? he told you exactly why you should enjoy it.

Saying that it looks pretty and vaguely talking about thinking about the show isnt an explanation.
Jan 18, 2015 12:12 AM

Jun 2009
I just don't understand why some people are already declaring that the series has a "lack of depth" or it's a" turn off your brain" type of show when the series is only two episodes in? Even if you aren't familiar with Ikuhara's previous work I just don't get this thought process.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 18, 2015 2:13 AM

Jan 2010
The reason is Ikuhara. Some people like his stuff, some people hate it.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Jan 18, 2015 2:25 AM

Mar 2010
SeibaaHomu said:
Xenlai said:

This has gone long enough but w/e.
The argument is pretty simple. There is nothing to dumb down.
Some people will enjoy this series for what they think this is and some people will enjoy this series of what it seems to be.

The problem is that you want to falsify the way some people want to enjoy the show and dictate what is the correct way to enjoy it.

I do disagree that this show has deeper meanings and messages but It is nevertheless a valid way to enjoy this anime.

Anyway, I will enjoy this anime of what it is, a mediocre but very unique ecchi show. You enjoy it the way you want.
Jan 18, 2015 2:29 AM

Oct 2008
Boltz said:

"Stuff" is a very lose term in this case since it boils down to Utena and Penguindrum.And that's it ,2 titles released in between 14 years.
Not much of a "history" compared to other directors/writers.

But yeah judging a entire series just by its first 2 episodes is quite shallow indeed...
Jan 19, 2015 11:44 AM

Jun 2009
amateur said:
Boltz said:

"Stuff" is a very lose term in this case since it boils down to Utena and Penguindrum.And that's it ,2 titles released in between 14 years.
Not much of a "history" compared to other directors/writers.

But yeah judging a entire series just by its first 2 episodes is quite shallow indeed...

He also did the second half of Sailor Moon R and Sailor Moon S, the latter of which a lot of people seem to consider the best season of that show.

Xenlai said:

This has gone long enough but w/e.
The argument is pretty simple. There is nothing to dumb down.
Some people will enjoy this series for what they think this is and some people will enjoy this series of what it seems to be.

The problem is that you want to falsify the way some people want to enjoy the show and dictate what is the correct way to enjoy it.

I do disagree that this show has deeper meanings and messages but It is nevertheless a valid way to enjoy this anime.

Anyway, I will enjoy this anime of what it is, a mediocre but very unique ecchi show. You enjoy it the way you want.

Okay, so you get mad because he is trying to "dictate" the way you should see the show when you say the show is shallow as though it's a fact? Come on man....
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 19, 2015 1:10 PM

Aug 2011
Right now I can understand people thinking "WTF", because everything is pretty confusing. I get it. But declaring it as trash and not bothering to continue "because it makes no sense" is very shallow thinking, especially when the anime has barely started airing. You're not allowing the show to tell a story, and you want everything to be explained right from the get-go. That's not fun, nor is it good writing.

I won't say people who don't like it are wrong, because not everyone is going to like it. I just don't think the criticism this early in the series is justified.

Jan 19, 2015 3:12 PM

Nov 2007
this show is just terrible so terrible, i think it gave me cancer

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jan 19, 2015 3:14 PM

Jul 2012
Lock this thread, now, mods.

This is going nowhere.
Jan 19, 2015 4:48 PM

Jul 2012
But yuri is fabulous.
Jan 19, 2015 7:23 PM

Dec 2007
So, I am very amused by this thread, which to me is not at all surprising. Also, I think its totally reasonable that people would have a very strong reaction very early in the show which would prompt them to like or dislike the show. It's a difficult show to watch, particularly for a young male audience.

I did notice one thing that was not mentioned elsewhere in the discussion, and I am a bit afraid that my post may be deleted for obscenity, but its hard for me to discuss the show seriously without this verbiage. Ikuhara has always been...very free with depictions of sexually charged symbolism in his show in a way that is unusual in anime. In this respect, Yuri Kuma Arashi is more Ikuhara than any prior Ikuhara show. Specifically, what I am referring to is the extremely in-your-face vaginal symbolism that is absolutely pervasive in this show. The lilies, the honey, the double entendre use of the concept of "eating". This show is sexual in a way that most fan-service-y shows would never even dream of being. It's uncomfortable to say the least, and I do think that this is what Ikuhara is going for.

So it is no surprise at all that people who would be so repulsed by this would spurn the show almost immediately, and its probably for the best that they do, because they are not going to like any part of this show. For people who are more comfortable with these concepts, themes, and symbolism I think we are going to have a pretty good show. I'm not sure if it will be his best show. In fact, I am fairly skeptical that it will, but I am very happy to see him producing again, and will watch this show eagerly, even if I do squirm a bit sometimes...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2015

167 by sketchy12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.