Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2015 7:24 AM

Nov 2013
Does one need to see the Yatterman series to understand what´s going on here?
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 12, 2015 7:56 AM
Jan 2009
There should be no need at all, the story has no direct link to the original series (1977) nor the remake (2008).
Add that both those series are mostly episodic (there is just a simple, paper-thin plot that is solved in the series finale); you don't really need any more exposition than the one the first episode is going to give you anyway.

However you could try and watch a couple of episodes just to understand the comedic references.
Jan 12, 2015 8:53 AM

Nov 2013
Dark_Kain said:
There should be no need at all, the story has no direct link to the original series (1977) nor the remake (2008).
Add that both those series are mostly episodic (there is just a simple, paper-thin plot that is solved in the series finale); you don't really need any more exposition than the one the first episode is going to give you anyway.

However you could try and watch a couple of episodes just to understand the comedic references.

Thanks, I´ll try the original series later and now I´ll try this.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 12, 2015 10:51 AM

May 2013
I haven't seen the original series, but I can suggest you read up on the original characters briefly on mal. Just doing that gave me a pretty good gist of the details I wasn't so sure about after episode 1. From doing so, it basically just confirmed what the first episode shows us. However, looking back at the original plot of the series gives you a good idea of why the yatterman may be so hostile to a "gang" that they only could have heard bad things of over the years.
Jan 13, 2015 7:22 AM

Jan 2014
I haven't seen original series and I understand what is going on... So I guess it's not necessary to watch original series.
Jan 13, 2015 6:01 PM

Mar 2011
No you don't need to watch the previous yatterman

Jan 13, 2015 6:13 PM

Mar 2008
It isn't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to watch a few eps to familiarize yourself with the original characters to better understand what this show is trying to do. It's also pretty fun; most Tatsunoko stuff is. I would normally suggest seeing the first and last eps, but Anime Sols only ever did the first 17. I don't think anyone has done the last one, 108, in English.
Nothing
Feb 9, 2015 11:21 AM
Jan 2014
After watching a few episodes of Yoru no Y-man, it's been a revisionist interpretation of the Yatterman show, a la Evangelion or Aldnoah Zero are to the 70s giant robot shows (Mazinger/Gundam).

The in-jokes won't make sense unless you've seen a few episodes of the original or the remake of Yatterman.

So far, I don't think you need to watch the whole original series.

zabadohFeb 9, 2015 11:24 AM
Feb 22, 2015 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
Yes. Ive watched 7 episodes so far and im not enjoying the jokes at all cuz i havent seen original Yatterman series.
Mar 1, 2015 3:38 PM

Sep 2012
It's not necessary. However, it helps getting a few clues, like the Roboter that Gatchan built, the Yatterdug that the General uses etc.
But you can still enjoy it.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Mar 4, 2015 10:38 AM
Oct 2013
It doesn't matter. I've only watched 3 episodes and I barely know the whole franchise yet I've been enjoying the anime. The only thing we need to understand is there are two roles in this anime - heroic villains and villainous heroes. Anything else is trivial e.g. as valoon have said, the Roboter, the Yatterbug, etc.

extra rant
Mar 4, 2015 1:57 PM

Feb 2013
Blankbite said:
It doesn't matter. I've only watched 3 episodes and I barely know the whole franchise yet I've been enjoying the anime. The only thing we need to understand is there are two roles in this anime - heroic villains and villainous heroes. Anything else is trivial e.g. as valoon have said, the Roboter, the Yatterbug, etc.

extra rant

The show has been getting worse as of late so it's score is wholly deserved
Mar 5, 2015 9:14 AM

Feb 2012
gedata said:
Blankbite said:

extra rant

Not to mention I fail to see how it compares to those Gainax shows. On top of the fact that they accomplished way more in three episodes, let alone eight, it's nowhere near their style. The animation looks like mediocre shit even during its most triumphant moments and the tonal shifts are awful.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Mar 5, 2015 9:23 AM

Aug 2014
Blankbite said:
extra rant

It's a result of people watching Yatterman, and not expecting Yatterman. I don't agree with the comparison to Gainax/Trigger though; Yatterman is way above gaudy puke on screen.
Sieg Zeon!
Mar 5, 2015 9:40 AM
Oct 2013
Flawfinder said:

Not to mention I fail to see how it compares to those Gainax shows. On top of the fact that they accomplished way more in three episodes, let alone eight, it's nowhere near their style. The animation looks like mediocre shit even during its most triumphant moments and the tonal shifts are awful.

QuattroVaginas said:

It's a result of people watching Yatterman, and not expecting Yatterman. I don't agree with the comparison to Gainax/Trigger though; Yatterman is way above gaudy puke on screen.

It's my first impression after watching episode 1. Just a slight resemblance imo. Imho, this is better than TG:Root of A which is around 8. That show is overrated while this show is slightly underrated.

gedata said:
That's too bad. I'll have to see it myself though.
ExplodingGirlMar 5, 2015 9:50 AM
Mar 5, 2015 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
Blankbite said:
extra rant

I agree that it's better than some generic show this season *cough* *cough* Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break, Juuou no Fafsdfsjshebf *cough* *cough*

But let's face it. This show is more for the old Yatterman fans. The humor and the jokes are too bizarre for non-Yatterman fans. I'm like WTF everytime i see the episodes., yet I have it on my Top 5 because the rest is generic shit. The only redeemable thing is the soundtrack, i guess...
Apr 17, 2015 3:58 AM

Feb 2008
QuattroVaginas said:
It's a result of people watching Yatterman, and not expecting Yatterman.

Typical MAL.

CLBGM said:
But let's face it. This show is more for the old Yatterman fans. The humor and the jokes are too bizarre for non-Yatterman fans.

It's not just Yatterman. You need to be familiar with Tatsunoko as a whole for the complete enjoyment, since they reference everything. Not just Yatterman, other Time Bokan series as well, and not just that, Cashern and Polymar as well.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

65 by dechenerate »»
Sep 23, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

30 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 5:19 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

29 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 4:17 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2015

35 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 1:21 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2015

26 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 9, 2017 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.