Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 11, 2015 9:12 PM
Jun 2014
I wanted to see what people thought of the show Legend of Korra vs typical animes. Legend of Korra is heavily influenced by animes, however in my opinion Korra does better than what the majority of anime has done today. Legend of Korra is grounded while sometimes animes can get a bit out of hand and unrealistic. What do you guys think?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 11, 2015 9:12 PM

Jul 2012
dis gon b gud.gif

So, why are you grouping every single anime out there and comparing it with one American cartoon?
Jan 11, 2015 9:13 PM

Jan 2014
S3 and s4 were pretty good but you can't compare Korra to a anime in general.

Jan 11, 2015 9:13 PM
Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
dis gon b gud.gif

So, why are you grouping every single anime out there and comparing it with one American cartoon?

Take a look back at my post. I never said all animes :)
Jan 11, 2015 9:14 PM

Apr 2014
This is gonna turn into a Korra Is An Anime thread watch
Jun 2014
Aqua said:

Actually people argue Korra is already an anime, so I don't see why we can't compare the two :P

Jul 2012
Let's compare how unrealistic Family Guy is to Ping Pong the Animation, then.
Jan 11, 2015 9:15 PM
Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
Let's compare how unrealistic Family Guy is to Ping Pong the Animation, then.

I'm not comparing American Cartoons to Animes though because thats a completely different topic
Jan 11, 2015 9:16 PM

Jan 2014
ImmaMuggleYou said:
Aqua said:

Actually people argue Korra is already an anime, so I don't see why we can't compare the two :P
It's not an anime tho >_>

Jan 11, 2015 9:16 PM
Jun 2014
Aqua said:
ImmaMuggleYou said:

It's not an anime tho >_>

Its heavily influenced by anime hence why I am comparing the two. I don't consider it an anime either, but I am making this thread because in my opinion Korra takes what anime does but better.
Jan 11, 2015 9:18 PM

Aug 2014
All I can say is that Legend of Korra has better animation than pretty much every anime release these days.

Except when Studio Pierrot did a few episodes.
Jan 11, 2015 9:19 PM
Jun 2014
F0XFIRE said:
All I can say is that Legend of Korra has better animation than pretty much every anime release these days.

Except when Studio Pierrot did a few episodes.

YUP. This is just one of the aspects I am talking about. Not many animes can touch Korra in terms of animations.
Jan 11, 2015 9:24 PM

Nov 2014
Two things I didn't like about Korra. One, that the seasons were not linked by an ongoing plot with one main enemy, as Aang was. Two, I felt like I was in a history lesson many times. A huge amount Korra is based on real life history, and while that was clever of the creators, it got annoying at times. IMO, that's what makes Korra different from many anime; instead of creating something wacky but interesting, it took it right from history.

I agree with you when you say sometimes anime can get out of hand. Korra knew the limits to humor. And they did a good job on the humor, whereas some anime will try to make every moment funny and succeed in only some. While I did find how Korra was based on history annoying at times, the fact is basing stuff on history is the surest way to make things seem believable, and Korra was believable.

To be honest, I wouldn't go as far as to say Legend of Korra is heavily influenced by anime, the only similarities are the names of some characters and the style.
Jan 11, 2015 9:25 PM

Jan 2013
Korra sucks topdeck dick
Jan 11, 2015 9:30 PM

Jul 2012
ImmaMuggleYou said:
I wanted to see what people thought of the show Legend of Korra vs typical animes. Legend of Korra is heavily influenced by animes, however in my opinion Korra does better than what the majority of anime has done today. Legend of Korra is grounded while sometimes animes can get a bit out of hand and unrealistic. What do you guys think?
"Out of hand and unrealistic" is a characteristic that a percentage of anime very often intentionally are like. This is by no means bad and what you're saying is your personal opinion, which is okay. Anime in general is vast and I think if you resonably want to get anywhere with this thread you should be asking more identified questions. Maybe, "What do you find better in Korra than adventure anime?" I'll leave that to you.

Thank you :)
Jan 11, 2015 9:31 PM
Jun 2014
tanteiRE said:
Two things I didn't like about Korra. One, that the seasons were not linked by an ongoing plot with one main enemy, as Aang was. Two, I felt like I was in a history lesson many times. A huge amount Korra is based on real life history, and while that was clever of the creators, it got annoying at times. IMO, that's what makes Korra different from many anime; instead of creating something wacky but interesting, it took it right from history.

I agree with you when you say sometimes anime can get out of hand. Korra knew the limits to humor. And they did a good job on the humor, whereas some anime will try to make every moment funny and succeed in only some. While I did find how Korra was based on history annoying at times, the fact is basing stuff on history is the surest way to make things seem believable, and Korra was believable.

To be honest, I wouldn't go as far as to say Legend of Korra is heavily influenced by anime, the only similarities are the names of some characters and the style.

Yes I agree. One of Korra's con is that it was broken up into 4 seasons while it would have done better with a cohesive show like ATLA. And yes with some animes the show just gets out of hand sometimes and ultimately doesn't have much to offer in the end. Coming back to comparing Korra to anime, perhaps heavily is too strong of a word, but it definitely has strong connections to the anime style. Its not 100% like most animes though which is ultimately a positive for the show.
Jan 11, 2015 9:34 PM
Jun 2014
Snakes said:
ImmaMuggleYou said:
"Out of hand and unrealistic" is a characteristic that a percentage of anime very often intentionally are like. This is by no means bad and what you're saying is your personal opinion, which is okay. Anime in general is vast and I think if you resonably want to get anywhere with this thread you should be asking more identified questions. Maybe, "What do you find better in Korra than adventure anime?" I'll leave that to you.

Thank you :)

I mean if I want to be more specific sure. Anyways you start by saying "getting out of hand" is not bad which I agree, to an extent. I don't think we should refrain shows from exploring different ideas, however some animes become so ungrounded that you're entering a world that is vastly disconnected with real life which is a problem I have.
Jan 11, 2015 9:35 PM
Jun 2014
Another thing about Korra which I appreciated is that it doesn't do that "fan service animation" like showing a woman's chest and what not. Things like that take away from the storyline and undermines the show and character in my opinion.
Jan 11, 2015 9:38 PM

Aug 2013
tanteiRE said:
Two things I didn't like about Korra. One, that the seasons were not linked by an ongoing plot with one main enemy, as Aang was.
That was one of the best things about it, you got a different main villain each arc. I like Amon but I also like Zaheer as a main villain.
Jan 11, 2015 9:41 PM
Jun 2014
Talking about villains, the only bad villain was Ulok from Book 2. Villains from Book 1, 3, and 4 were pretty spot on and awesome :)
Jan 11, 2015 9:41 PM

Dec 2013
ImmaMuggleYou said:
Another thing about Korra which I appreciated is that it doesn't do that "fan service animation" like showing a woman's chest and what not. Things like that take away from the storyline and undermines the show and character in my opinion.

Well Legend of Korra is aired on Nickelodeon, which is a channel mainly targeted at kids.
Jan 11, 2015 9:44 PM
Jun 2014
hhitagi said:
ImmaMuggleYou said:

Well Legend of Korra is aired on Nickelodeon, which is a channel mainly targeted at kids.

Of course. This doesn't change the fact of what I said though. Lets say if Korra was not restricted by things like that, I'd hope they wouldn't fall into the pit trap. Personaly the best animes I have seen are ones where the fan service is close to none.
Jan 11, 2015 9:44 PM

Aug 2013
tanteiRE said:
Two, I felt like I was in a history lesson many times. A huge amount Korra is based on real life history, and while that was clever of the creators, it got annoying at times. IMO, that's what makes Korra different from many anime; instead of creating something wacky but interesting, it took it right from history.
How was it like a History lesson? Korra isn't based a lot on real life history. Only Republic City IIRC was loosely based on 1930's New York.
Jan 11, 2015 9:45 PM

Nov 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
tanteiRE said:
Two things I didn't like about Korra. One, that the seasons were not linked by an ongoing plot with one main enemy, as Aang was.
That was one of the best things about it, you got a different main villain each arc. I like Amon but I also like Zaheer as a main villain.

Okay, sorry for not making this as clear. I think the villains were great. However, I hated how they were not connected in any way, except they all wanted Korra for her power, or to take away her power. The seasons were relatively short, and I wanted to expand on the individual villains. Like I remember this was mentioned in the main thread, that the Red Lotus still had followers lurking about. The fourth season didn't really bring that up.

In shorter terms, Korra was too short.
Jan 11, 2015 9:46 PM
Jun 2014
Actually I think although the books were separated, they did a pretty good job of connecting them to each other. Anyways yeah Korra was too short, each book could have been 24 episodes :(
Jan 11, 2015 9:47 PM

Nov 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
tanteiRE said:
Two, I felt like I was in a history lesson many times. A huge amount Korra is based on real life history, and while that was clever of the creators, it got annoying at times. IMO, that's what makes Korra different from many anime; instead of creating something wacky but interesting, it took it right from history.
How was it like a History lesson? Korra isn't based a lot on real life history. Only Republic City IIRC was loosely based on 1930's New York.

Everything from the inventions developed by Asami's father to the destruction of the spirit vines was based on history. The inventions in Korra mirror the ones in history. The destruction and exploitation of spirit vines by hand of Kuvira was pretty much like destruction of the environment, which continues today.
Jan 11, 2015 9:50 PM
Jun 2014
tanteiRE said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Everything from the inventions developed by Asami's father to the destruction of the spirit vines was based on history. The inventions in Korra mirror the ones in history. The destruction and exploitation of spirit vines by hand of Kuvira was pretty much like destruction of the environment, which continues today.

I thought you were going to talk about Kuvira :o. One thing great about Korra is its progressiveness which animes lack sometimes. The technology aspect of it was nicely put. I didnt like it at first ( I don't think many people did) but now I appreciate they did it to show the passage of time and how society moves forward. Also the destruction of the spirit vines is actually what makes Korra great, it creates lessons for us.
Jan 11, 2015 9:51 PM

Aug 2013
tanteiRE said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Okay, sorry for not making this as clear. I think the villains were great. However, I hated how they were not connected in any way, except they all wanted Korra for her power, or to take away her power. The seasons were relatively short, and I wanted to expand on the individual villains. Like I remember this was mentioned in the main thread, that the Red Lotus still had followers lurking about. The fourth season didn't really bring that up.

In shorter terms, Korra was too short.
Zaheer never wanted Korra's power or to take it away he wanted to end the Avatar cycle once and for all by killing her in the Avatar state so that the cycle would end.Kuvira also never wanted Korra's power or to take it away. I agree that the seasons should have been longer so as to have better focused on the villains (mainly Amon , Zaheer and Kuvira). I hope in the future there is a season 5 where the red lotus is brought back into play.
Jan 11, 2015 9:51 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
HB considers it an anime

I find HB trustworthy
Jan 11, 2015 9:55 PM

Apr 2013
r u ven srs
Jan 11, 2015 9:55 PM

Aug 2013
tanteiRE said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Well yeah cars, airplanes, cameras existed in history but that doesn't mean it's based on a lot of real life history. On the flip side though Asami's father created mechs and there are no real life mechs in history. I think what you don't like is the steampunk setting.
Jan 11, 2015 9:56 PM
Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Well yeah cars, airplanes, cameras existed in history but that doesn't mean it's based on a lot of real life history. On the flip side though Asami's father created mechs and there are no real life mechs in history. I think what you don't like is the fantasy historical setting.

This ^
Jan 11, 2015 10:23 PM

Nov 2011
ImmaMuggleYou said:
hhitagi said:

Of course. This doesn't change the fact of what I said though. Lets say if Korra was not restricted by things like that, I'd hope they wouldn't fall into the pit trap. Personaly the best animes I have seen are ones where the fan service is close to none.

Guys most anime is directed towards kids difference is sexual content is considered less taboo and more acceptable in Japan. Also I've never watched it but doesn't Korea have an even worse frame rate than most anime? I recall the commercials. Also I think OPs issue is watching too many of the wrong anime.
Jan 11, 2015 10:25 PM
Jun 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
ImmaMuggleYou said:

Guys most anime is directed towards kids difference is sexual content is considered less taboo and more acceptable in Japan. Also I've never watched it but doesn't Korea have an even worse frame rate than most anime? I recall the commercials. Also I think OPs issue is watching too many of the wrong anime.

Too bad Japan ranks as pretty much the lowest in gender equality for developed nations.
Jan 11, 2015 11:31 PM

Nov 2011
ImmaMuggleYou said:
DragonQuest3 said:

Too bad Japan ranks as pretty much the lowest in gender equality for developed nations.

No country is perfect they all have flaws. Japan more than makes up for its flaws with its great cinema.
Jan 11, 2015 11:43 PM

May 2014
The Avatar franchise has done a good job taking influences from anime, but I do have my own personal beef with it though...

The first avatar series is my most favorite out of the pair. Everything about that show was just absolutely flawless, though it would be a while before I realized that it was based off anime though.

The second one was generally bad, however. LOK just felt poorly written to me tbh. 1st and 2nd seasons were awful tbh due to all the romance subplots and how they gave Aang the shaft.

The last two seasons though I enjoyed greatly, if not for Toph's familial issues, I wouldn't have given it the time of day.
Click my sig
Jan 12, 2015 2:22 AM
Jun 2014
Korra by far. Why? Because it doesn't need gore and big boobs to be good. A lot of anime suffers from this problem. They rely on eye candy.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jan 12, 2015 3:24 AM

Nov 2011
Lash_ said:
Korra by far. Why? Because it doesn't need gore and big boobs to be good. A lot of anime suffers from this problem. They rely on eye candy.
There are plenty of anime that don't rely on gore and boobs. Why don't you try looking?
Jan 12, 2015 3:57 AM

Feb 2014
If Airbender and Korra were anime they would easily be in the top 30
Jan 12, 2015 4:07 AM

Feb 2013
eXtacy67 said:

Indeed, especially Book 3 of ATLA, just look at Hummingbird which the top 50/100 consist of most of the same series as here in MAL . ATLA book 3 is ranked #10 there.
Jan 12, 2015 5:08 AM

Nov 2011
eXtacy67 said:
Both seasons of Code Geass are in the top 30 so that's not saying much at all.
Jan 12, 2015 5:27 AM

Jul 2013
I really should watch the rest of korra (only seen the first season of it thus far), but I'm reluctant to do so because I didn't like it at all. I did really like atla though.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Jan 12, 2015 5:39 AM

Nov 2011
Tyrantarmy6 said:
I really should watch the rest of korra (only seen the first season of it thus far), but I'm reluctant to do so because I didn't like it at all. I did really like atla though.

Why watch the rest when you didn't like it at all?
Jan 12, 2015 5:42 AM

Feb 2013
Tyrantarmy6 said:

The second season is arguably the worst of all 4 seasons so you might have a hard time at first if you would ever watch it again :p
Jan 12, 2015 5:47 AM

Jan 2014
Korra is better than majority of anime out there.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 12, 2015 6:17 AM

Nov 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
I think what you don't like is the steampunk setting.

Hmm.. Yah know what? That was probably it =/
Jan 12, 2015 7:54 AM
Jun 2014
DragonQuest3 said:

No country is perfect they all have flaws. Japan more than makes up for its flaws with its great cinema.

Never said any country is perfect, this doesn't change the fact that their is subliminal sexism seen in a lot of animes. This isn't seen in Korra from what I have seen at least.
Jan 12, 2015 7:55 AM
Jun 2014
Lash_ said:

This. I'm tired of watching animes to then be ruined by odd angles every other second and the animation that they put in to boobs is troublesome. I try to stay away from these animes...
Jan 12, 2015 7:58 AM
Jun 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
eXtacy67 said:
Both seasons of Code Geass are in the top 30 so that's not saying much at all.

Haha I liked Code Geass actually. I like to use MAL to see what is good, but definitely dont't go by it 100%. I mean Log Horizon 2 has a better score then Psycho-Pass 2...Log Horizon does nothign new and its highly mediocre although I watch it to pass the time.
Jan 12, 2015 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Anime has a wide variety of content. It isn't fair to compare Korra to all of anime.

Also Korra is better than most of the anime I've seen. Most, but not all.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7681 by SilentAssassin88 »»
32 minutes ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3444 by SilentAssassin88 »»
34 minutes ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

26 by rey_n »»
50 minutes ago

» What album have you listened to the most this year?

MeanMrMusician - Mar 9

28 by Enderbro1945 »»
2 hours ago

» So, I watched Who Killed Captain Alex

ZeroMajor12 - May 12

7 by Enderbro1945 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.