Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2015 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
Re-watched the episode again, I still think it's nothing really special
Maybe it ranks high because people are getting bored of recent anime trends
Well, psychological anime tends to perform well in mal..
But it was still a good watch
Jan 15, 2015 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that initiates a series of winter in 2015 that most of all I waited.
Narratively is what I expected, raw and bad, even though I did not understand the ending.
However the thing that most impressed me in the mind, is the soundtrack.
Drawings and animations as good quality.
Jan 15, 2015 11:50 AM

Apr 2014
mayukachan said:
As for his wife, I wish we would have gotten a more clearer understanding on why she was cheating because I felt like that was out of nowhere in the last minute.

Given the placecard on the table during the credits confirming the wife's story about Machi but the flashback also confirming that she cheated on him; I think that she wasn't cheating on him before they got married, but because the husband believed she was cheating on him and thus becoming paranoid and distant, she sought comfort with another man. It's all up for interpretation but that one makes the most sense to me.
Jan 15, 2015 12:32 PM

May 2013
Damn, it was a good episode!

Loved it| 4/5
Jan 15, 2015 2:30 PM

Feb 2014
Really strong episode. I thought for the whole time that she was innocent and that confession was made up for her husband's sake or just to vent her dissapointment in him and then I read comments and now I'm quite puzzled but it seems she really was a whore.

Anyway, can't wait for the next episode!

Btw OP is really out of place, I almost quit it right there. ED is bad too I don't like neither of them.
slovak125Jan 15, 2015 2:35 PM
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 15, 2015 4:18 PM

Jan 2015
SwordSaint said:
Episode 1: Seven Darts (Machiko didn't cheat on her husband then we can assume she is going to heaven)

1st clue: When the two girls in the bathroom said that "It was a nice ceremony" and "I hear her husband is a doctor" that two sentences was said before the wedding ceremony even began means that the girl in question Matchy is not Machiko

Proof: The Husband said that "Even so I couldn't bring my self to stop the ceremony" means when he heard that the ceremony is not yet begun

2nd clue: Machiko said "Not in the belly"

Proof: If she said not in the heart we can deduce that she wants her husband to lose but not she said not in the belly means she really loves her husband and their baby

3rd clue: When Machiko said " I never lie from the start, I'll show you"

Proof: Machiko was going to throw the dart on the outside but her husband interfere that's why it hits the bull's eye

4th clue: When Machiko walk in the back then hold her tears back then wipe some that falls then said "You see there's someone else i love"

Proof: She just said that because no matter what she says her husband would not believe her so she just made herself looks like the bad guy to save her husband because she truly loves her and because the bartender knows the truth he was surprised that she said that

5th and last clue: When Machiko said "I mean there'd have to be, right?

Proof: Who would say that if you are truly cheating on someone

Additional: The scene on the bed and before that she says you see there's someone else i love.

Proof: The picture when they met with someone then she lost her virginity to that guy that's why the picture but that guy in the picture was smoking and texting someone then when she met and saw that her husband was a really pleasant and nice that's why she fell in love with him then at some point between their meeting or after she broke up with her previous relationship.
QFT... People thinking she cheated clearly didn't pay attention to the details. The only thing I think I missed was the name on the table at the end because I don't know Japanese and it wasn't translated so I read here from other posts what it does say.
Jan 15, 2015 5:13 PM

Dec 2011
blackbishop said:
SwordSaint said:
Episode 1: Seven Darts (Machiko didn't cheat on her husband then we can assume she is going to heaven)

1st clue: When the two girls in the bathroom said that "It was a nice ceremony" and "I hear her husband is a doctor" that two sentences was said before the wedding ceremony even began means that the girl in question Matchy is not Machiko

Proof: The Husband said that "Even so I couldn't bring my self to stop the ceremony" means when he heard that the ceremony is not yet begun

2nd clue: Machiko said "Not in the belly"

Proof: If she said not in the heart we can deduce that she wants her husband to lose but not she said not in the belly means she really loves her husband and their baby

3rd clue: When Machiko said " I never lie from the start, I'll show you"

Proof: Machiko was going to throw the dart on the outside but her husband interfere that's why it hits the bull's eye

4th clue: When Machiko walk in the back then hold her tears back then wipe some that falls then said "You see there's someone else i love"

Proof: She just said that because no matter what she says her husband would not believe her so she just made herself looks like the bad guy to save her husband because she truly loves her and because the bartender knows the truth he was surprised that she said that

5th and last clue: When Machiko said "I mean there'd have to be, right?

Proof: Who would say that if you are truly cheating on someone

Additional: The scene on the bed and before that she says you see there's someone else i love.

Proof: The picture when they met with someone then she lost her virginity to that guy that's why the picture but that guy in the picture was smoking and texting someone then when she met and saw that her husband was a really pleasant and nice that's why she fell in love with him then at some point between their meeting or after she broke up with her previous relationship.
QFT... People thinking she cheated clearly didn't pay attention to the details. The only thing I think I missed was the name on the table at the end because I don't know Japanese and it wasn't translated so I read here from other posts what it does say.

that flashback scene where they show her supposedly cheating could be an image her husband created also in order to support his delusions of her cheating..

it could also be since she said " you see there is somebody else I love" him but younger and before the game and him treating her with paranoia when they were both truly in love with each other.. since neither the faces are clear in that flashback.

I still don't think she cheated because all her flashbacks and action were those of a woman truly in love with her husband/finance..

also void isn't a bad thing and compared to reincarnation in a eastern context (which this show is made by eastern people not western) is a better option.
Jan 15, 2015 6:22 PM

Mar 2011
Should I void all these laughable theories?
Jan 15, 2015 6:45 PM

Sep 2013
Thank you Based Madhouse, also that opening was completely is completely different from what i would expect from this series but i love it anyway.
Jan 15, 2015 11:37 PM

Oct 2014
Now that's what I call a character-driven anime,
but it's dissapointing that only couples will be tested...
I hope they explore some really dark themes
and do it really well,
I want to see at least one old couple and
same-sex one, of course...
Jan 16, 2015 1:23 AM

May 2013
Good job, Madhouse, good job. Lol, dat OP tho.

This episode, even though a bit predictable, blew my mind.
Pretty awesome concept. I like how two people who love each other just tore each other apart.
This truly is a masterpiece; hopefully the next few episodes won't disappoint.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jan 16, 2015 3:58 AM

Nov 2014
I loved it, can't wait for next episode/s !
fictionmurder said:

I want to see at least one old couple

That would be sad but good at the same time lol
Jan 16, 2015 11:44 AM

Sep 2010
Sugoi , humans.... :D
Jan 16, 2015 2:04 PM

Feb 2010
Awesome first episode! LOVE this.
Jan 16, 2015 3:07 PM

Apr 2013
OutZoned said:
I don't think that she was actually cheating. It definitely appeared to me that she was lying just to strike back at him. She sarcastically told him what he wanted to hear because he couldn't handle the truth. We also don't know the criteria for how people are chosen for "the void" and "reincarnation."

For all we know, "the void" could be "heaven" because it releases you from life, while "reincarnation" could be "hell" because it subjects you to the pain of living again.

Obviously she was cheating. I mean, what a likely story that Matchy is a long lost friend who has a name similar to her and is married to a doctor like her as well. Not to mention, when she tells him she loves someone else, it flashes on her lying in bed with some other guy. It wouldn't make sense at that point for it to flash to her in bed with her own husband. No, she's a cheating bitch alright. And as for where they go, and what is considered heaven or hell, well, as far as i'm concerned, an evil looking demon face = going to a bad place, and a smiling fat man face = going to a good place. I don't know how you could see it any other way.
Jan 16, 2015 4:00 PM

Jun 2009
curzon17 said:

Obviously she was cheating. I mean, what a likely story that Matchy is a long lost friend who has a name similar to her and is married to a doctor like her as well. Not to mention, when she tells him she loves someone else, it flashes on her lying in bed with some other guy. It wouldn't make sense at that point for it to flash to her in bed with her own husband. No, she's a cheating bitch alright. And as for where they go, and what is considered heaven or hell, well, as far as i'm concerned, an evil looking demon face = going to a bad place, and a smiling fat man face = going to a good place. I don't know how you could see it any other way.

That isn't quite true, a missing understanding of cheating as how it can be perceived as a grey area, just made you quite bitter.
mrdkreka said:
Looking at all the evident in the episode we can assume
1. She did cheat, but from the look of the picture we got of it, it looks like it was created by the husband mistrust in thinking she was already cheating before the wedding. (assuming it wasn't a mental picture the husband created)
2. she wasn't lying about the friend who cheated, this is confirmed by 1 "I hear her husband is a doctor", considering that happen at the wedding, that sentence wouldn't make sense. 2 We also see in the ED the name tag of the girl the wife was talking about.
3. The confession was probably done by the wife, because she felt guilty about the time she cheated on him(or not cheated and just loved him), and thought his husband should feel better about having killed a lying whore and someones else baby, instead of his own child and a women who cheated, because of missing care from her husband(or didn't cheat at all) :-/

And as episode 2 confirms this is correct.
Jan 16, 2015 7:53 PM

Jun 2013
It was interesting but I didn't like how over-done some of the facial expressions were.
Jan 16, 2015 10:10 PM

Aug 2007
This story is Kaiji plagiarism (poorly done at that). Check out volume 1 chapter 6 p.8 of Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji: Kazuya-Hen and you will see.
Jan 17, 2015 1:19 AM

Jan 2014
Really great anime .. And i really love decim character .. He looks like ginko .. Lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2015 6:23 AM
Jun 2013
Nice episode. I like the music.
Jan 17, 2015 9:08 AM

Apr 2014
The OP and ED was just fine. And Wow! The Plot and Story was awesome!. I Wish this exist in Real Life!
Seriously! When a Person dies with someone else at the same time. They can play a game and have a chance to live again?

The Story of the First "Contestants" was quite interesting. The guy was suspicious of his wife so it ended up in an accident.
But the question is, was the wife really having an affair? Well maybe it's real since it's what they only say or whatever.

So Machiko wins the "Game" but she was sent to the "Void"? And Takashi who lose the game sent to "Reincarnation", What's going on?!!!
Well whatever. Maybe I'll find the answers to my questions in the next episodes.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jan 17, 2015 9:22 AM

Jan 2011
the game and the episode itself is quite interesting but will check out episode 2 to see if there is a main story or just one game per episode thing
Jan 18, 2015 8:53 AM

Jul 2012
Drama way too over the top, characters unbelievable and unlikable. even the premise is dumb, so the winner gets to heaven and the loser to hell?

What a dumb idea...
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jan 18, 2015 11:27 AM

Dec 2013
That was very intense
Jan 18, 2015 2:46 PM

Aug 2013
Started watching it without the synopsis or watching Death Billiards. As soon as I saw the OP, I wasn't expecting it to get that dark.
Jan 18, 2015 3:40 PM
Nov 2011
Tazu said:
Started watching it without the synopsis or watching Death Billiards. As soon as I saw the OP, I wasn't expecting it to get that dark.

LOL

yup... I was shocked when I saw the opening, cause I saw Death Billiards a while back and the anime is too dark for such an OP.

But overall, this show gets me on my feet, so anxious to see what happens and how people change from a pretty side to a very, very ugly side.
Such a great show and an amazing opening episode.

Hope the show goes up and not down hill from hereon after.
Jan 18, 2015 8:19 PM

Mar 2012
So Ginko quit his job as a mushi-shi and now works in purgatory, huh?
Jan 19, 2015 9:16 AM

Aug 2014
TravSavage said:
So Ginko quit his job as a mushi-shi and now works in purgatory, huh?

lol, looks like it, a very good episode, i think both deserved void
Jan 19, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2013
well this might just be my highlight this season, op and ending are fantastic...animations too and i like the general style
Jan 19, 2015 8:41 PM

Jul 2008
A very good episode one, it's currently the best anime I have seen this season :) The couple's arguments and betrayals are so engaging and I can't helped but think one of them will betray the other just to win.
Jan 21, 2015 12:21 AM
Mar 2012
Nice trippy OP felt like G no Reconguista. Has distinct mood and quite tense during the game. Felt too fast, hopefully not episodic/formulaic later on.
I'm curious who's baby it actually is, and what happens to the baby 'soul' or does the conceptual soul enter later on during pregnancy.
Jan 21, 2015 3:23 AM

Nov 2014
This anime definitely has promise. The premise is just so interesting! Like, I'm really looking forwards to watching this one. I wonder how the different arbitrators of death feel about these things? It must get pretty tough after a while... I wonder how they make the decisions too. Like, did that lady get sent down because of her statement after the game was over (Decim's eyes widened there) or did she get sent down because she won the game?? Oooh and I like the animation style. It's not my all-time favorite, but it's nice.
Jan 21, 2015 5:13 PM

Oct 2012
Juhnny said:
Holly that was cruel...
I've been watching some death games related anime but this stands out by being much more psychologicaly damaging than the others.
I'm very hyped for this but scared at the same time.
I felt this game was "awful" like the girl in the end. :/

pretty much this.
This was only the first episode and it already left me too scared to fall asleep tonight. But i actually really wanna watch more episodes.....I guess i'l just end up muting or tabbing away it if it starts to sound or look too disturbing for me @_@.

Also, yea I DEFINITELY thought of ginko from MushiShi when I saw Decim, holy cow.
The opening did not match the theme of this show at all, which took me off guard and made me think that this show would be lighter since...well, I just dived into this series blind(though i did still like the opening xD) the ending song was also really good!

Edit:Yup. This show messed me up. *forever paranoid*
AshuraSanJan 21, 2015 7:27 PM
Jan 22, 2015 10:22 AM

Jan 2014
Decent first episode, the concept and the character of Decim (as well as the two "assistants" showed at the end) awakened my interest.

But this episode's story was quite generic. I'll keep on watching this though, for now.
Oh, I prefer the opening way better than the ending.
Jan 23, 2015 1:04 AM

Jun 2013
The opening was not at all suitable to the psychological atmosphere given out by this anime. Lol. They be all dancing and shit.

Seems that the man first came from the Hell elevator while the woman came from the Heaven one but at the end she was going to hell through that red masked elevator. Seems she was the one who was on the wrong. Kazuya Nakai and Ayako Kawasumi did a great job in voicing the couple.
Jan 23, 2015 6:29 PM

Jan 2015
OMG...that was messed up. :O and the OP is a trip.
Jan 24, 2015 11:21 AM

Oct 2013
The opening is shit! Really love the anime though the setting is ridiculous.
Jan 24, 2015 4:20 PM

Jul 2013
Bitching go to hell
Jan 24, 2015 4:28 PM

Jun 2013
This is a great start. Madhouse strikes again. This show is like "No Game No Life" but has a darker tone to it.

The protagonist here is Decim, the bartender of the Quindecim bar who oversees the Death Games. So Machiko and Takashi is dead from the start. At the end of the game, it is revealed that Machiko cheated and just married Takashi just for money. He's really disappointed and angry.

But I think she really loves him and regrets her mistake so she chooses to go to hell just to save him. Well, that's my opinion.

By the way, the OP is very funny. HAHAHAHA. The ED sounds really good.

Good job, Madhouse!
Jan 24, 2015 7:48 PM

Dec 2007
The final twist was dumb and forced (evil laugh and everything, ugh). Everything up to that was pretty good though.

btw does winning and losing even matter in this? Looks like the guy was better off even if he lost.

edit: Also despite the woman having an affair I feel like out of the two the guy should be going to hell. He was willing to seriously hurt (or possibly kill? I mean they were already dead but he didn't know that and he was definitely willing to "kill" the "baby") the woman when he thought she was cheating on him without even being sure. Seems worse than cheating to me.

Marrying someone despite thinking they are cheating and not even fucking talking the person about it is also really dumb, but I guess stupidity isn't a sin.

edit2: reading the thread I think the idea that she was lying makes sense. That was my first thought too, but I thought it would be mentioned if that were the case. Then again, the series probably wants us to draw our own conclusions.
EarwenJan 24, 2015 7:57 PM
Jan 25, 2015 3:37 PM

Feb 2014
Orsonius said:
Drama way too over the top, characters unbelievable and unlikable. even the premise is dumb, so the winner gets to heaven and the loser to hell?

What a dumb idea...

this.
Jan 25, 2015 8:52 PM

Jun 2013
I really like the dark atmosphere and art style in this one. I like the idea of this "purgatory" place and having a game decide where you end up. Though it doesn't seem like it matters if you win or not.
Jan 26, 2015 8:55 PM
Feb 2013
The mouths looks so weird and wrong.

At one point I didn't know if it was either a smile a neutral face or a frown.

Also creeps me a bit.

But that aside, I feel it ain't so bad for now, well see.
Jan 26, 2015 11:55 PM

Mar 2013
great OP, with those FABULOUS poses and the dance sequence is good too.

Jan 27, 2015 12:53 PM

Jan 2011
Madhouse is throwing so much money, amaze~
Jake-tan got really mad, probably even more when he reads this.
Omg Ilya.
Opening felt too happy, rest of the ep was pretty töll.
I wonder if this will have an actual story or if it will be episodic mindfucking.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 27, 2015 4:09 PM

Apr 2008
That. Was. Brilliant.

Loved it! Super loved it. Watching the next episode now loved it.
Bless you, MadHouse.

Jan 28, 2015 3:22 AM

Jul 2009
What a funny OP lol, I would expect something darker...

I really love psychological anime, and for the 1st episode, it was great! The tension and true...all!
Jan 28, 2015 3:15 PM

Oct 2013
Wow...this was really something. She was supposed to go to reincarnation when they just came but after all that sh***, it changed and she went to hell. Damn, people can be so mean. They never stop to surprise you, in a negative way....
Jan 28, 2015 3:49 PM

Nov 2013
eddo209 said:
The opening is shit! Really love the anime though the setting is ridiculous.

You mean the* shit. Or you meant to say "My taste in openings is shit!".
Jan 29, 2015 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Arcanix said:
The opening was weird for a series like this, but i liked it. Anyway that was a crazy episode, i'm curios how the whole story will be in the end.

The opening is suppose to contrast the dark vibe of the series, which it does in a very refreshing manner. Also, what did you expect? its called Death P̲a̲r̲a̲d̲e̲

Tacas said:
jordanguy9 said:

I think they said it was for couples, were those two gay?

They said it was for people who died at the same time.

AoiBochhan said:
I'm honestly not totally convinced that she did cheat :/

The way Decim was surprised and how Machiko bit her lips seemed like she was forcing herself to lie.

If she really was a cheating bitch would she confess about what she did? wouldn't she just go to heaven...

I think it doesn't really matter that she confessed, Decim or whoever decides where they go to probably already knows the truth. I'm convinced that she cheated and if you look at her face when the elevator closes, you can see how in the last moment her expression changes to what I'd call regret.

We know Death Parade is trying to convey the message that life is not always fair. Someone who did good all their lives can be perceived bad by all definition of the word, and vice versa. Subtle hints allow one to conclude she lied to her husband to comfort him at the time, and after the realization they were dead, possibly even sacrifice herself for him after realizing all the suffering he went through. In fact, one might even deduce after seeing how jealous he was, she just didn't love him anymore, but the other arguments seems more logical, viable, and supported.
Why did you guys automatically conclude she was cheating? Because of the elevator with the horns and one without i assume, and that's symbolism for life. You saw the flashbacks from both perspectives, how the husband ruined all the good moments he had with his wife by being suspicious, the girl was clearly telling the truth. The message conveyed hear is that individuals initially judge others based on verdicts and not their own perceptions, and that can result in false judgement, like Decim's if we assume the wife went "downstairs".
Anyway, its great that no answer or truth is given to the situation and essentially only the verdict is (although that's debatable as well since nothing was confirmed). This effectively opens all episodes up for fun debates. Although I'm convinced this anime did and will continue to use psychological plot twists as a means to create more shock value, it wasn't half bad for a pilot.
Edit: I went back and watched the last bit of the episode, said Machiko (the wife) went to "the void" and he husband was sent for reincarnation. Doesn't entirely confirm anything really as it's really based on individuals perception of the words themselves, but this only enforces my statement.
TheBlackCrowJan 29, 2015 8:08 AM
Pages (17) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

597 by Seraschi »»
May 1, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.