New
Pages (29) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 3, 2014 10:55 AM

Feb 2008
I don't.
Nov 3, 2014 11:10 AM

Aug 2014
@Konikov
"About nonbelievers, take a look of what the Catholic Church says in the DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON THE CHURCH LUMEN GENTIUM SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY HIS HOLINESS POPE PAUL VI CHAPTER 1 NUMBER 16"

Fair enough, but you didn't point to a passage in the Bible in regards to nonbelievers, like I asked. And you do realize that people wrote that stuff. Who's to say that it's the truth?

the ‘’absolute’’ (which is something that the atheist doesn’t believe)

Atheists can believe in absolute truths. There are plenty of things that are objectively true, and can't be denied.

"we can arrive in the conclusion that there is no objective possibility of a world without evil."

Says who? Is there some universal law that says this is the case?

The created world can not, by any means, be perfect, which has nothing to do with the divine omnipotence and goodness.

That has everything to do with omnipotence. If he can't create a perfect world, that's something that's beyond his limits, making him not omnipotent. The very definition of omnipotent, in the dictionary, is "having unlimited power; able to do anything." The key word here is anything.

If God created a perfect world without evil, He would not create a world, but a God instead.

What does this even mean?

"God can be omnipotent, omniscience and omnipresent, but nothing can’t go beyond the limits of logics, according to apologetics"

This is a simply ridiculous argument. Again, refer to the very definition of omnipotent that I mentioned above.

"You choose to believe, that’s it. And there’s a lot of critics, but there are plenty of people who defend the theism with logic and philosophy."

...But not objective facts.
Nov 3, 2014 11:25 AM

Apr 2009
html said:
-Daijin- said:

and atheism is not a religion.
How is atheism not a religion?

I would define Atheism as the lack of a belief in a deity.
Nov 3, 2014 11:39 AM
Nov 2013
Wait ImaginaryFire, you want to talk about what is truth and what it isn't in religion even being an atheist? So, if I put some part in the Bible that says God won't blame men for his ignorance in Christ, you will consider that a ''real truth''? You must be joking right? Also, the Bible was written by monkeys? Or it's just like the Christians believe the documents of the Church are? Written by God using men as tools through the Spirit of Saint.

If you're willing to comprehend omnipotence without the limits of logic, then is not possible to establish a conversation. Also, if you just dismiss Thomas Aquinas and Leibniz... Even when discussing God, we can't discuss the illogical, because it's simply something impossible to discuss. On the other side, the apologetic works with logic statements, which can be reached through reason. Well, don't know what you're expecting. Apologetic is logic. If you want to believe it, that's another point.
blankflatNov 3, 2014 11:54 AM
Nov 3, 2014 12:54 PM

Mar 2013
I wouldn't really like to call myself a Muslim because I never really practiced Islam but I do believe in Allah and the holy Prophets. I guess 'non-practicing' Muslim would be the correct term.

I grew up in an Muslim family but my parents aren't really practicing either. I never got pressured in to believing in Islam, it's my own choice in the end.

And I dont want to discuss my choice of religion in here, it is what it is so just deal with it. Thank you.
Nov 3, 2014 1:23 PM

Aug 2014
Kolnikov

What gives your religion legitimacy over others? How is it any more legitimate than Islam, Hinduism, Greek Mythology, Norse Mythology, Native American gods, etc.? What gives the Bible legitimacy? "I just know" or "because God said so" isn't an answer.
Nov 3, 2014 1:25 PM

Sep 2013
Christianity. Jesus is the way, truth, and the light.
Nov 3, 2014 1:40 PM
May 2013
"Atheism" and "I don't follow any religion" are the exact same thing. The prefix "a" means not or without, and "theism" basically means religious belief. So atheism is literally "without religion". "A" is a neutral prefix, and "anti" is the negative form (against or whatever).

I'm an atheist and grew up without religion. I was literally always the only kid in my classes who wasn't religious. Gave the Christian thing a shot when I was in my preteen years, but it didn't click. Too unbelievable, like all of the fantasy stuff I was (and still am) into.
Nov 3, 2014 1:53 PM
Nov 2013
ImaginaryFire said:
Kolnikov

What gives your religion legitimacy over others? How is it any more legitimate than Islam, Hinduism, Greek Mythology, Norse Mythology, Native American gods, etc.? What gives the Bible legitimacy? "I just know" or "because God said so" isn't an answer.

Nothing, my friend. Is like the Pope said: we are not better than the others. We're just humans as everybody else is. And being a christian does not make us necessarily better. Also, for reach ''salvation'' you don't have to be christian. The entire Church, with some exceptions, is rotten. But we have the philosophy of the ''individual journey'' (being part of the Church doesn't make you rotten, because even being a part of it, you are still an individual able to make your own path). We just follow what we think is right. Is like moral, good, evil, truth, laws. If you take a solid referential point (which for us is the Scriptures, the Documents, the words of Saints...), you can choose what you think is the best for your life and after it.

Perhaps we're wrong, but no matter which god is right and wrong, nobody can blame someone that has no knowledge or guilt. And if there's such an evil god, who will judge everyone that is different, then I prefer to burn in the pit of tartarus than living by the side of a monster.
Nov 3, 2014 1:56 PM

Jun 2014
I'm a Christian, specifically a mix between a Southern Baptist and a theistic rationalist.

I was raised a Baptist and it is the most biblical minded in my opinion, but I also like to question things and use reason.

I have also quarreled with people in my own denomination.
MalkshakeNov 3, 2014 2:01 PM
Nov 3, 2014 1:58 PM

Aug 2014
Kolnikov said:
ImaginaryFire said:
Kolnikov

Nothing, my friend. Is like the Pope said: we are not better than the others. We're just humans as everybody else is. And being a christian does not make us necessarily better. Also, for reach ''salvation'' you don't have to be christian. The entire Church, with some exceptions, is rotten. But we have the philosophy of the ''individual journey'' (being part of the Church doesn't make you rotten, because even being a part of it, you are still an individual able to make your own path). We just follow what we think is right. Is like moral, good, evil, truth, laws. If you take a solid referential point (which for us is the Scriptures, the Documents, the words of Saints...), you can choose what you think is the best for your life and after it.

Perhaps we're wrong, but no matter which god is right and wrong, nobody can blame someone that has no knowledge or guilt. And if there's such an evil god, who will judge everyone that is different, then I prefer to burn in the pit of tartarus than living by the side of a monster.

Fair enough, let's leave it at that. You make some good points. You're more reasonable than most Christians I know. Good talk.
Nov 3, 2014 2:20 PM

Oct 2013
I am a Muslim , born as one . My parents weren't forcing it or anything ,but with time I wanted to know many things about Islam ,because of the public image made by the terrorist groups like isis , al qaida ..etc .

So, after taking it seriously , I started reading through many things , the prophets (Peace be upon them) , their message , other faiths , Tafsir Ibn Kathir ,the books of Bukari and Muslim . I was very interested in other religions like Judaism , Christianity and Atheism isn't a religion to my knowledge ,but I wanted to know more about it .

It made me way better than before, more respectful to my parents , my older siblings , neighbors ...etc . I loathed lying , backbiting and all these common things ,that people usually do . I try to reason and convince anyone who hold conceptions about Islam of what I can.
Nov 3, 2014 2:39 PM
Nov 2013
ImaginaryFire said:
Kolnikov said:

Fair enough, let's leave it at that. You make some good points. You're more reasonable than most Christians I know. Good talk.

Nice talk to you as well mate. Anyway, I would like to recommend a nice movie, that I'm sure you've watched (but is nice to watch it again). ''Life of Pi''. By it you can understand a little bit more about the good side of faith, and here is irrelevant if is ''right'' or ''wrong'', ''truth'' or ''myth''. Sometimes is better to face life with a different vision. You could say ''argh, but this is for pussies, you guys are just fooling yourselves''. I don't see it that way. The event is still the same, what changes is your mindset and how you face the event. Is religion ''das Opium des Volkes'' like Karl Marx said? I don't think so. We are not running away of reality, and hiding ourselves inside our own broken minds, but rather facing reality with a different mindset and objective.
Nov 3, 2014 3:00 PM

Jun 2013
Anti-Theism = Just the belief that deities DO NOT exist.

And this is different from Atheism as Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity but not the belief in them not existing.
Which knght are you?
Give an internet?
RedHeadphones said:
Please, why would I play skyrim if there wasn't a nude female mod? Gameplay? Pfft.

Nov 3, 2014 3:04 PM

Apr 2014
I was born into a seventh-day adventist household. Do I follow the religion? Not so much anymore. Let's just say I'm in a rebel phase with it.

This religion is the reason why my life sucks to the core.

but my mom used to be catholic and my dad greek orthodox christian.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Nov 3, 2014 3:29 PM

Nov 2013
My parents are catholic.
I'm agnostic because reasons.

I can see you

Nov 3, 2014 4:16 PM

Jan 2014
ImaginaryFire said:
Kolnikov

Because Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. #TheTombIsEmpty.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 3, 2014 5:04 PM

Mar 2008
101gill said:
Anti-Theism = Just the belief that deities DO NOT exist.

And this is different from Atheism as Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity but not the belief in them not existing.
No, anti-theism is being completely against the idea of gods and against religion. Although there is one other meaning which is someone who believes in a god but is against the god.

What you said last line is nothing but play on words and means the exact same thing as each other.
Nov 3, 2014 5:24 PM
Nov 2013
101gill said:
Anti-Theism

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say
I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day
You'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say
I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day
You'll join us
And the world will live as one

Nov 3, 2014 6:19 PM

Jun 2007
I am a muslim because I like the concept of monotheism in islam and the fitra aspect makes a lot of sense to me.
Nov 3, 2014 6:43 PM

Jan 2014
MiniSiets said:
Jackrabb1t said:
"Whence cometh evil?" Epicurus wasn't paying attention in his religion classes apparently, or perhaps he just didn't want to hear the real answers to his questions, considering the hedonistic philosophy he engendered.

I've seen this particular quote several times now on MAL and it's such an irrelevant argument that I feel compelled to answer it.

Epicurus ignores considerations of time and considerations of outcome in his argument.

God is both willing and able to prevent evil, but chooses to defer judgment until a later time. Why? Because evil allows choice and choice has the potential for greater good. Allowing the existence of evil for now is "worth it" to God because it will result in the creation of saints who have chosen to follow God not merely out of mindless obedience. The damnation of sinners, while lamentable, is ultimately their choice and it is a choice God allows them to make because it is "worth it" to Him.

"Whence cometh evil?" It comes from choice, choice which we now have freely, but will not have in the future: "Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess...."

Do people have free will in heaven?
A good question. I have heard some people say that if Adam and Eve had not sinned when the serpent offered them the forbidden fruit, they never would have faced temptation again. Instead their choice plunged both them and their offspring into a continuous cycle of temptation. Can free will exist without temptation to do evil? Probably not, but I dont know. Once saints in heaven have "glorified bodies" will they ever feel temptation again? I don't know. I would suspect not.
Nov 3, 2014 7:08 PM

Nov 2012
Kolnikov said:
Nov 3, 2014 7:35 PM
Nov 2013
^If you don't have a dark sense of humor, could be silly. There's no difference of Terror between religious fundamentalism, and political atheism applied in the Soviet Union and China of Mao Tse. So, being and anti-theist or anti-religion is just as bad as being fundamentalist.
Nov 3, 2014 7:37 PM

Aug 2014
Kolnikov said:
^If you don't have a dark sense of humor, could be silly. There's no difference of Terror between religious fundamentalism, and political atheism applied in the Soviet Union and China of Mao Tse. So, being and anti-theist or anti-religion is just as bad as being fundamentalist.

I would argue the same. Granted, I know I may have been coming across as anti-religion on this thread, but I really am not. There can be beneficial aspects to religion.
Nov 3, 2014 7:51 PM

Sep 2013
Jackrabb1t said:
MiniSiets said:

A good question. I have heard some people say that if Adam and Eve had not sinned when the serpent offered them the forbidden fruit, they never would have faced temptation again. Instead their choice plunged both them and their offspring into a continuous cycle of temptation. Can free will exist without temptation to do evil? Probably not, but I dont know. Once saints in heaven have "glorified bodies" will they ever feel temptation again? I don't know. I would suspect not.

It's very unlikely that God will allow evil to trouble his universe a second time. It began with Satan and will probably end with Satan's destruction in the last days.

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."- Revelation 21:4

"But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life." - Revelation 21:27
Nov 3, 2014 8:09 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not sure exactly. I think the church is stupid but I like some of the basic morals taught by religion.
Nov 3, 2014 8:57 PM

Oct 2012
traed said:
101gill said:
What you said last line is nothing but play on words and means the exact same thing as each other.
No, the lack of belief is not the same as a belief of none. A lack of belief is like, if a schizophrenic approached you and said, "If you take another step, God will smite you where you stand," and you go, "Hmm, I don't know, should I?!?! I watched too many new atheist talk shows, I don't know what I should believe."

A belief is none is like, "Hah! That's bullshit." And he keeps on walking.

Christians are like, "That makes sense! I will stand here forever, Master. Praise thee lord."
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 3, 2014 8:59 PM

May 2013
katsucats said:
traed said:
No, the lack of belief is not the same as a belief of none. A lack of belief is like, if a schizophrenic approached you and said, "If you take another step, God will smite you where you stand," and you go, "Hmm, I don't know, should I?!?! I watched too many new atheist talk shows, I don't know what I should believe."

Christians are like, "That makes sense! I will stand here forever, Master. Praise thee lord."

what about 'wow i really want to learn from this' so you take the time to really learn and understand it before integrating it and walking on all the same
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 3, 2014 9:01 PM

Jul 2012
katsucats said:
traed said:

XD
Konbu is important
Nov 3, 2014 9:07 PM

Aug 2013
I'm Christian,
it's what I believe,
it's what I live by,
I'm happy with my life,
the end.

I'm not discussing this on an a̲n̲i̲m̲e̲ forum ffs.
Nov 3, 2014 9:08 PM

Oct 2012
OnlyEpix said:
katsucats said:

what about 'wow i really want to learn from this' so you take the time to really learn and understand it before integrating it and walking on all the same
You really want to learn from a schizophrenic?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 3, 2014 9:13 PM

Jun 2008
How many times does this have to be explained?

Atheism nor theism are religions.

They are positions to the god question.

Saying that atheism is a religion is like saying "off" is a TV channel.

Now to be FAIR, there ARE atheistic religions such as Buddhism that IS a religion but don't follow a deity.

But atheism by itself is the non-belief in god...that is literally it.

There are no tenants, no rules, no nothing.....

And NO, atheism does not assert to know that god doesn't exists.
Nov 3, 2014 9:16 PM

Nov 2012
Kolnikov said:
Yes, I should have read the context.
Nov 3, 2014 9:17 PM

Feb 2005
NebulaC3I said:
It's very unlikely that God will allow evil to trouble his universe a second time. It began with Satan and will probably end with Satan's destruction in the last days.
Except that if that's the case then your god is not omnipotent and you have no guarantees for what will happen. Maybe one of the Outer Gods from beyond the abyssal void will sweep in and devour him.
Nov 3, 2014 9:20 PM

May 2013
katsucats said:
OnlyEpix said:

if he has knowledge to share, then yes, absolutely.

what our society deems schizophrenic could, in another society, be seen as shamanic, a true medicine man
I CELEBRATE myself,
Nov 3, 2014 9:21 PM

Jan 2013
Baman said:
NebulaC3I said:
Except that if that's the case then your god is not omnipotent and you have no guarantees for what will happen. Maybe one of the Outer Gods from beyond the abyssal void will sweep in and devour him.
Maybe the world will end when his mom tells him to stop playing the Sims

Feb 2005
Jackrabb1t said:
God is both willing and able to prevent evil, but chooses to defer judgment until a later time. Why? Because evil allows choice and choice has the potential for greater good. Allowing the existence of evil for now is "worth it" to God because it will result in the creation of saints who have chosen to follow God not merely out of mindless obedience. The damnation of sinners, while lamentable, is ultimately their choice and it is a choice God allows them to make because it is "worth it" to Him.
You are missing something very obvious here though. If your god is omnipotent, he is also omniscient, and thus already knows exactly how everything will turn out. So there is no need for him to "allow" evil unless he actually approves of it.
Being omnipotent, he can obviously find a way to create the same result with saints and all that shit even without evil.
Sep 2007
I wish I never heard or saw anything related to religion in my life.
Nov 3, 2014 10:00 PM

Oct 2012
OnlyEpix said:
katsucats said:

what our society deems schizophrenic could, in another society, be seen as shamanic, a true medicine man
What if I told you if you don't paypal me $5000 within the next 24 hours, you'll turn into a pedophile. How long will you investigate that?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 3, 2014 10:15 PM

May 2013
katsucats said:
OnlyEpix said:

What if I told you if you don't paypal me $5000 within the next 24 hours, you'll turn into a pedophile. How long will you investigate that?

thats an absurd comparison, and anyways it might not take all that long to learn from the man ;D but really, i respect homeless people and i don't run away from them, i talk to them eye-to-eye
I CELEBRATE myself,
Nov 3, 2014 10:23 PM

Nov 2012
Jackrabb1t said:

Then what is the relevance of the free will argument? Why allow us to choose if we all become mindless automatons anyway?
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Nov 3, 2014 10:57 PM

Oct 2012
MiniSiets said:
Not according to the Protestant Reformation. The Elect has been predestined to go to Heaven. It only follows that what they do there is also willed by God.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 4, 2014 1:24 AM

Jan 2014
Baman said:
Jackrabb1t said:
You are missing something very obvious here though. If your god is omnipotent, he is also omniscient, and thus already knows exactly how everything will turn out. So there is no need for him to "allow" evil unless he actually approves of it.
Being omnipotent, he can obviously find a way to create the same result with saints and all that shit even without evil.

That doesn't take the free will aspect into account. Having free will allows for the possibility of evil. The result you speak of is to make robots that cannot make their own choices.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 4, 2014 1:36 AM

Jun 2013
You see, we muslims are bloodthirsty barbarians. If we can't kill humans we'll kill animals.
WHAT IS THIS
Nov 4, 2014 1:42 AM
Feb 2014
Yume said:
You see, we muslims are bloodthirsty barbarians. If we can't kill humans we'll kill animals.

I knew you were from Karachi!!
Nov 4, 2014 3:55 AM
Feb 2014
1. I don't follow any religion 33
2.Christianity votes 27
3.Atheism votes 23

I don't follow any religion wins smh
Nov 4, 2014 4:45 AM

Jan 2014
You may as well put anime itself as a religion. Lots of followers for that one.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 4, 2014 5:36 AM

Mar 2014
Onee_SAMA said:
Yume said:

I am not from Karachi and I said that.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 4, 2014 5:58 AM

May 2014
I didn't choose the Christian life, the Christian life chose me.
Nov 4, 2014 8:41 AM
Feb 2014
OneForSorrow said:
Onee_SAMA said:

I am not from Karachi and I said that.

That was aimed at yume.
Pages (29) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 8 hours ago

26 by aikaflip »»
42 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

317 by bevarnow »»
44 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by IpreferEcchi »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

40 by aikaflip »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.