Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Basilisk
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2009 8:31 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damnit. I knew that sooner or later the real person was going to catch up with Saemon, and it just has to be Tenzen. Oh well, good job so far Saemon-dono.
Nov 25, 2009 1:27 AM

May 2009
Yep Saemon-dono Got Caught By real Tenzen Baddass :)

Aug 24, 2010 7:33 AM

Apr 2009
Poor Akeginu... but yes finally I may dislike Tenzen but I DESPISE Saemon... its about time he receives some long-delayed whooping...
Oct 12, 2010 7:16 PM

Oct 2008
I want Saemon's powers.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 4, 2010 4:05 AM

Oct 2009
Alas86 said:
Poor Akeginu... but yes finally I may dislike Tenzen but I DESPISE Saemon... its about time he receives some long-delayed whooping...

^
Akeginu was my fav from the her clan too :(
Dam that BIASH~!
Jan 13, 2011 8:18 PM

Mar 2009
Poor Akeginu.

Well, anyway it's interesting now that the real Tenzen has caught up to Saemon.
Jan 13, 2011 8:18 PM

Mar 2009
Poor Akeginu.

Well, anyway it's interesting now that the real Tenzen has caught up to Saemon.
Feb 6, 2013 7:34 AM

Jan 2012
Another exciting episode. Couldn't care less about Akeginu. What I'm interested in is what will happen now between Tenzen and Saemon.

Aug 7, 2013 4:21 PM

Dec 2010
Blah, Saemon is finally going down. No matter, he did better job than anyone else in this show.
Oct 8, 2013 1:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Poor Akeginu. She was a loyal Iga woman and a good person all things considered.

Poor Oboro, she will now be alone with Tenzen...
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 1, 2014 5:10 AM

Jan 2008
Everyone is mad at Saemon for killing Akeginu yes she was one of my favorites but look at it this way it was Iga Akeginu's clan that killed Okoi it might not have been Akeginu herself but it was her clan so he is taking out his lose on the who clan n not just the one that did which he didnt get to kill for the record though it is sad that both Akeginu n Okoi died though.
Apr 23, 2014 9:23 AM

Dec 2013
They made it so I thought it was really Tenzen till the very last second ..
R.I.P. Akeginu :(
Apr 17, 2015 1:25 AM

Sep 2014
Noooo, not Akeginu! :(

Was it just me, or did Saemon show some regret when Akeginu died? And it seemed like Hotarubi's death affected him as well (multiple flashbacks of her death, etc.).

I'm also confused as to why they suddenly decided to show nipples now. lol before they didn't even bother drawing them, or had the boobies covered by robes. Oh well, it wasn't gratuitous, so I'm okay with that.
May 27, 2015 10:59 AM

Oct 2014
I liked Akeginu but it was pretty obvious she wouldn't be one of the ones to make it to the end :/ 2 Iga vs 3 Kouga, but Saemon is pretty fucked right now, haha. Hard to believe there's only 4 episodes left!
Jun 13, 2015 3:48 PM

Sep 2013
Poor Akeginu :( she was one of my favorites. i hope Tenzen kills that bastard Saemon.
Sep 29, 2015 1:00 PM

Jan 2012
Still alive,he just won't die.

May 2, 2016 11:38 AM
Feb 2012
R.I.P Akeginu.. U just left poor Oboro with a FUCKING BASTARD ("alone")...

Also R.I.P Saemon.. U performed well my friend.. But your road ends now.. :(
Jun 29, 2016 12:26 AM

Feb 2016
Saemon, Juubei, Jousuke (intuitive/perceptive), Kyouma, hairy dude (martial genius) and Tenzen are by far one of the more intelligent of the Iga and Koga, in a universe of gullible ninjas. I swear, how many times do you have to fall for the same trick even when witnessing it first hand? The guy is fricking making shit up on the spot and these so called childhood comrades fell for it hook, line and sinker. Akeginu as well as many others grew up alongside Tenzen. So Tenzen suddenly belts out a sorrowful philosophical line of tragic elegance and no-one thinks otherwise from the usually heartless piece of shit that he is? And being tricked by mere appearance, of a lover (someone you know more than yourself), and then falling for the same trick twice, that's just embarassing...

This is one of the few flaws of Basilisk, the tactics and deception for a ninja/military genre is hilariously stupid. Most ninjas die by being too cocky, orating their cheesy victory speech and getting the tables turned. Wow, talk about a lack of professionalism!?! Wash, Rinse and Repeat. I personally hate that trope that refuses to die in Shounen series. Don't ninjas in Basilisk have a plan B, for being top ten they sure got lucky to get there without getting killed.

1) Hide
2) Pull out your special move
3) Fail
4) Well fuck, I didn't think this far, bye bye cruel world :)

It would be passable if the series didn't take itself so seriously. Naruto does a splendid job in comparison and I am no fan of Naruto.
Cloud_IllusionJun 29, 2016 12:44 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 8, 2016 5:59 AM

Jul 2008
Akeginu is fallen and Saemon's death is assured...no one is surviving this show it seems.
Jan 16, 2018 9:03 PM
Mar 2017
I'm sorry, who just died ?, is that he was busy "seeing something else", that he does not pay attention .... 7u7
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Jul 14, 2020 8:30 PM

Jun 2012
Rosny said:
Saemon, Juubei, Jousuke (intuitive/perceptive), Kyouma, hairy dude (martial genius) and Tenzen are by far one of the more intelligent of the Iga and Koga, in a universe of gullible ninjas. I swear, how many times do you have to fall for the same trick even when witnessing it first hand? The guy is fricking making shit up on the spot and these so called childhood comrades fell for it hook, line and sinker. Akeginu as well as many others grew up alongside Tenzen. So Tenzen suddenly belts out a sorrowful philosophical line of tragic elegance and no-one thinks otherwise from the usually heartless piece of shit that he is? And being tricked by mere appearance, of a lover (someone you know more than yourself), and then falling for the same trick twice, that's just embarassing...

Late reply but that's actually one of my favorite parts. There are a few kinds of acts of kindness by Saemon (disguised as Tenzen), that Akeginue is bewildered by.

-Allowing her to give Genosuke's flute as a memento to Oboro
-Lamenting on the mystery of his enemy's heart

Tenzen, being cruel and evil, would never have done those things. But Saemon, one of the most ruthless killers of the Kouga side, has grown to genuinely feel these things, and is acting out of kindness. Think about that, he is more kind to his enemy than Tenzen is to his allies.
So why didn't Akeginu pick up on this? Maybe because she was desperate to hear those things.

Then when Saemon betrays Akeginue and Kagerou stabs her, Akeginu gives him one last look and he can't even bare to face her. After, he is lamenting on what he's done, only for his thoughts to be crudely interrupted by Kagerou who feels none of the sympathy Saemon does.

One more thing. This depth, Saemon's thoughts, the flute, Akeginu's "last look" - none are in the original book or even the mnaga. It's stuff like this why I think the anime is the best incarnation of Basilisk.
Shoot first, think never.
Oct 1, 2023 3:05 AM

Dec 2022
Good riddance to the Iga harlot. Saemon has probably been the most useful Kouga so far. The rest of them haven't been nearly as resourceful as he is, barring Gyobu.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 17 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

18 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 8:03 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 16 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 14, 2009

24 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 15 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

15 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 14 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

28 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 11 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 13, 2009

23 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 6, 3:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.