Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Oct 2012
I was afraid of this but in the end I can say this is the CG done right and what's more important, backgrounds are still hand-drawn. And it looks good together. Polygon did Sidonia before and I have to say they had improved a MUCH!

And I really enjoyed it, it resembles those old fairytales I read when I was a child :)
(and Children of Bullerbyn was pretty popular here in my country some 20-30 years ago, so this was a must for me)
Nov 16, 2014 12:31 AM

Apr 2012
I had no idea this was going to be CG. The whole time I kept having flashes of what Ghibli could have done with normal animation. I guess it's going to need some getting used to, but I'm kind of disappointed nevertheless, 3D series have this recurrent expressivity/rigidity problem. There's also those Heidi references. It's okay to stick to the studio's image, but I fear by being too conventional they'll lose opportunities to do memorable things. I'll keep watching though, I'm curious about the story since I had never heard of the books before.
EratiKNov 16, 2014 1:34 AM
Nov 17, 2014 10:08 PM

Feb 2013
I am old enough to remember the live action tv version (I had a great childhood tv-wise), seeing this lovely story return to the screen brings me back to the days when I would watch tv while snuggled up into my blanket.
I can live with the cg, it seems to be the new standard for things, so we better accept it.
Oh and also, the OP is wonderful, as was the "wolf song", almost made me cry happy tears
<-click
Dec 5, 2014 12:00 PM
Apr 2014
it looks like crap
SIOEDec 5, 2014 12:05 PM
That's how I see like more than half of the MAL users with their "waifus", hentais, harems, weird-ass video games and all that shit
Dec 14, 2014 4:32 PM

Dec 2011
Tynker said:
niwasatou said:

Some babies are born with hair...

I know some are born with hair, but I did mention too many. I at least never seen a baby with this many hair on the head. Did you?

I have. My brother exceeded 9 months, and when he was born, he had more hair than a 2 year old. But apparently it's not only because he exceeded term, because when his daughter was born, the girl just have as much hair as he did. XD
Dec 16, 2014 10:19 PM

Feb 2012
Great start. The tone and atmosphere of this show was just perfect. Goro and his focus on naturalism just fit the Ronja story the best. the OST is pretty charming and the pacing may be slow, but feels very natural and just right. The character designs do feel a bit clunky, but compared to normal 3DCG standards they are a great progress

Comic_Sans said:
What the heck happened to Skalle-Per?

THIS is Skalle-Per! Not that creepy-looking geezer with leek hair!

Because that guy is obviously not creepy in any way(he scared the hell outta me as a child).

Monad said:
Lindle said:
I have no idea what any of you have against the CG.

I mean, I know why CG in general is a bad sign, as it is usually used for cheap, lazy pointlessness. That isn't the case here.

What you mean it isn't the case? If this was 2D it would look better and the movement will be more natural(a common problem of CG). So when it is CG instead of 2D of course people will complain.

You know, even most 2D animation today is C(omputer) (G)enerated, as classic Cel Animation is expensive(in terms of costs, time and manpower) as hell nowadays. It's just that this show uses 3DCGI, as it is way cheaper. Most likely, this show wouldn't even exist without the 3DCGI as a normal publisher wouldn't be able to pay a show under normal Ghibli standards. I agree that normal 2D animation would feel better as we are accustomed to it, but I take a great show with a little flaw over no show at all.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Jan 28, 2015 2:40 AM

Jul 2010
Also not sure about the CG but when Mattis tripped while running up the stairs he gained a fan for life.
Apr 23, 2015 7:21 AM

May 2012
The environment is nice, but the CGI is really going to be hard to get used to as it doesn't fit the lovely environment at all :/ but well let's see what this anime will offer us!
Jul 7, 2015 2:38 PM
Jul 2013
Mattis is mai waifu. Lovis so epic. Robbers so moe.

Rice has existed in the Nordic countries since 17th century, naturally only available to wealthy nobles and merchants as a luxury item at first.
peccJul 8, 2015 5:07 AM
Aug 13, 2015 2:09 PM
Apr 2015
I'm so excited to see this, I love all the studio ghibli movies and this is their first series, right? And I LOVE Tales From Earthea and From Up On Poppy Hill and those were both directed by Goro Miyazaki too.
Feb 6, 2017 10:14 PM

Oct 2008
I really really really wanted to like this. The settings were beautiful, the ost is good. The story, while slow, seems like it will get interesting soon.... but I swear to God I just can't handle the CG... Look, I guess Miyazaki and Takahata have just spoiled me, but beautiful, fluid, hand-drawn anime is just... it's like, why would you want to downgrade into this clunky, horrible, grainy, ugly kind of art? I can't even stand disney's new movies sometimes, but even they look better than this. It bugs me when I see even a little bit of it used in anime, but the whole show like this? I just can't watch it. Like why Japan? Then in the ending song, we see actual sketches. They're so much better. So....disappointed...
._.
Just my two cents.
Apr 15, 2018 7:02 PM

Feb 2017
I don't foresee this art style winning me over at all.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Studio ghibli, really?

TimetravelrN8 - Dec 15, 2017

7 by Raiseii »»
Feb 17, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2015

43 by epidemia78 »»
Jul 2, 2022 1:15 PM

» Is this show good excluding the animation?

Supercuecaaa - May 30, 2020

1 by amarcioz »»
Aug 14, 2020 8:48 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

20 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 5:42 PM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2015

19 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 10:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.