Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2014 5:56 PM

Aug 2012
Should they rate their anime based on the objective quality? (art, sound, story, character development) Or should they rate an anime based on just how fun it was, thus being a biased and relative opinion? Remember that the ranks matter a lot so we must choose the right decision
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 1, 2014 6:00 PM

Dec 2012
While rating anime objectively is mostly impossible, I believe we should do so to the best of our abilities.

If we are rating anime just for the "enjoyment" we personally elicited from the content, we aren't providing a valuable baseline to compare to our personal fetishes.

We can still use tag keywords on the animes themselves to highlight which ones we enjoyed beyond their objective ranking, though the counter-argument of laziness, lack of sympathy for objective ratings / record-keeping, is completely legitimate
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Oct 1, 2014 6:00 PM

Dec 2013
people rate anime based on their enjoyment
and some review anime based on their enjoyment
no one cares about objective quality, cause u like it = good quality
Oct 1, 2014 6:02 PM

Jun 2014
You make the second option in your poll sound stupid so people are less likely to pick it, but essentially that one. I rate an anime based on the quality, how many errors it may or may not have had, but biggest factor is enjoyment or as you say 'how fun it was'
Oct 1, 2014 6:03 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
i rate based on how i enjoyed it, being elitist is too much effort
Oct 1, 2014 6:04 PM

Jul 2014
I rate by personal enjoyment. But even if I give a high rating to something that's shit, because I liked it, I can still admit it's shit or that it's flawed.
Oct 1, 2014 6:08 PM

Apr 2014
A show can be really good but if you don't like it what is the point of giving it a high rating?

Aug 2012
Qans said:
You make the second option in your poll sound stupid so people are less likely to pick it, but essentially that one. I rate an anime based on the quality, how many errors it may or may not have had, but biggest factor is enjoyment or as you say 'how fun it was'
What do you mean I made it sound stupid? It is true. Enjoyment is relative.

Apr 2014
I try to take both matters into consideration, and also some other underlying factors. No matter how much I enjoyed an anime, I will rate it down if it failed objectively, and the same goes for if it succeeded objectively, but kept me bored and uninterested throughout.
Oct 1, 2014 6:10 PM

Aug 2013
The way I see it is that your anime list is meant for you, so you should write it however you want. The best option is the one that you're most comfortable with.

Why do ratings matter a lot?
Oct 1, 2014 6:11 PM

Aug 2012
Protaku94 said:
I try to take both matters into consideration, and also some other underlying factors. No matter how much I enjoyed an anime, I will rate it down if it failed objectively, and the same goes for if it succeeded objectively, but kept me bored and uninterested throughout.
Now that is a good, reasonable person.

If anything, enjoyment makes me more prone to ignore some small details that would have lowered the score otherwise. For example, I can ignore the fact that Clannad's ending was a huge asspull, because I enjoyed it a lot.
Oct 1, 2014 6:12 PM

Mar 2012
I generally take both into consideration.

However, I personally think you should rate an anime based on how it made you feel. The whole point of "stories" are so that you can be entertained. If an anime entertains you, even if it's story was fairly mediocre, than the anime still did it's job. It entertained you.

To be rather frank though, I don't think it really matters how you rate it. I don't see a problem with either way of rating anime.
Oct 1, 2014 6:12 PM

Aug 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Moog- said:
The way I see it is that your anime list is meant for you, so you should write it however you want. The best option is the one that you're most comfortable with.
It's called MyAnimeList. Obviously that means all the lists on MAL are mine so you have to rate based on what I want you to rate.

Otherwise you're wrong.

What's so bad about being wrong if you rate something based on your personal opinion?
Oct 1, 2014 6:13 PM

Apr 2013
How should others rate?

I am in favor of making the 'pick a number out of a hat' rating system universal, but alas most people don't appreciate the idea.

One day.
Oct 1, 2014 6:13 PM

Aug 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
]Says "academic concepts." Uses the phase "lazy art techniques."

I have cancer. brb getting chemo
Except for lazy art is something real. Some studios don't draw the hands, or make use of dumb coloring to avoid drawing details, and so on. There was a list with many examples, but I can't find the link. Anyway, you fail
Oct 1, 2014 6:14 PM

Aug 2013
Zergneedsfood said:

Moog- said:
What's so bad about being wrong if you rate something based on your personal opinion?
Is my sarcasm just not any good today? >__>

I just wanted to push you to see if you'd say something interesting.

Disappointed.
Oct 1, 2014 6:19 PM

Jun 2014
Both. Typically on how much I enjoyed it though typically if an anime is good objectively I will end up ending at least some aspects of it.
Previously: BlueXRam
Oct 1, 2014 6:22 PM
Dec 2013
Enjoyment, I don't even take anime seriously or care enough to rate if objectively, anime is just another small hobby for me. We are not required to critique anime.
Oct 1, 2014 6:25 PM
Mar 2011
rate like me
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 1, 2014 6:25 PM
Dec 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
ScazoN said:
Enjoyment, I don't even take anime seriously or care enough to rate if objectively, anime is just another small hobby for me. We are not required to critique anime.
No. If you don't critique anime you're a failure as an anime watcher.
I fail at being an anime watcher? Fuck yes.
Oct 1, 2014 6:27 PM

Nov 2013
FGAU1912 said:
rate like me

No ty, I'm scared to click on your list
Oct 1, 2014 6:29 PM

Oct 2012
Neither, people should rate how ever the hell they want, or better yet they shouldn't rate them at all because all that leads to is fights over people having shit taste.
Oct 1, 2014 6:30 PM
Dec 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
ScazoN said:
You need to rate like me.

1 Impact on Impact on MURICA both the anime and Original Manga had
2 TV Ratings in MURICA [ Gross for movies Unit sales for OVAs
3 Manga Ka of the Sourcework (was he born in MURICA)
4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
5 Seiyuu casting [ how many i know by voice i use the royal I here ]
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in MURICA and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in MURICA and the West
8 Music[ Instrumentation] (how many times do we hear "AMERICA FUCK YEA"
9 merchandise sales (obviously in MURICA)
10 art style
11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry] (specifically in MURICA)

As you can see it's pretty objective. Based on this rating, I think we can all agree Bocu no Pico encapsulates the idea of Murica the best and is therefore the only 10/10.
thats too fucking weeby and otaku level, No thanks

implying this at youknowho
Oct 1, 2014 6:33 PM
Mar 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
ScazoN said:

4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in MURICA and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in MURICA and the West
10 art style
11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry] (specifically in MURICA)

As you can see it's pretty objective. Based on this rating, I think we can all agree Boku no Pico encapsulates the idea of Murica the best and is therefore the only 10/10.

mock me and get reported
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 1, 2014 6:34 PM
Mar 2011
ScazoN said:
Zergneedsfood said:

10 art style

As you can see it's pretty objective. Based on this rating, I think we can all agree Bocu no Pico encapsulates the idea of Murica the best and is therefore the only 10/10.
thats too fucking weeby and otaku level, No thanks

implying this at youknowho

who moi

Oct 1, 2014 6:34 PM
Dec 2013
yeah get reported, mocking the boss is a sin

and no not you

Oct 1, 2014 6:35 PM

Jul 2011
FGAU1912 said:
Zergneedsfood said:

10 art style

As you can see it's pretty objective. Based on this rating, I think we can all agree Boku no Pico encapsulates the idea of Murica the best and is therefore the only 10/10.

mock me and get reported

Wow
Oct 1, 2014 6:39 PM

Aug 2012
Feaor said:
Neither, people should rate how ever the hell they want, or better yet they shouldn't rate them at all because all that leads to is fights over people having shit taste.
What? So things that lead to fight should be banned? I guess we should ban guns, politics and anime in that case.
Oct 1, 2014 6:43 PM
Mar 2011
Praland said:
FGAU1912 said:

mock me and get reported

Wow

i sick of getting mocked on here i just got back from a ban for using what some wpuld call Bigoted langauge but was not that now i will report all those who mock me in the same why i got reported fir minor things

Oct 1, 2014 6:58 PM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:
Praland said:

Wow

i sick of getting mocked on here i just got back from a ban for using what some wpuld call Bigoted langauge but was not that now i will report all those who mock me in the same why i got reported fir minor things

Calm down you're on the internet
Oct 1, 2014 7:00 PM

Jul 2012
Oct 1, 2014 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
I try to rate objectively so some of my guilty pleasures like Uta Prince get 5 and unfavourites like Elfien lied get 9. I don't know, I just prefer to use that way
Oct 1, 2014 7:13 PM

Oct 2013
Doesn't make a difference. Just rate a anime a score you think it deserves. You could do it both ways I don't care.
Oct 1, 2014 7:16 PM

Jan 2013
Rate everything a 10 besides Sword Art Online and you'll be alright.
Oct 1, 2014 7:20 PM

Mar 2013
Rate how you feel it, not how other feel it. If you like a Anime that average a score of 6-7 and you like it enough then put it at whatever you like.
Oct 1, 2014 7:25 PM

Mar 2014
What a pointless thread this is. Why do people on MAL constantly seek approval from strangers and ask stupid questions like these?
Oct 1, 2014 7:26 PM

Feb 2013
I guess you really did think your objective/subjective thread met a conclusion with objectivity being true.

My Vote: Nope.
Oct 1, 2014 7:38 PM

Mar 2014
I jut rate on how much I enjoyed the anime.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Oct 1, 2014 7:39 PM
Feb 2014
However the hell they want, enough said

I wonder who tells people how to rate, those people must have absolutely no life at all
Oct 1, 2014 8:02 PM

Oct 2012
Rate it however the fuck you want because who gives a shit.
Oct 1, 2014 8:43 PM

Feb 2010
Just like me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 1, 2014 8:54 PM

Sep 2011
Everyone should rate their anime like me. /sarcasm
Oct 1, 2014 8:59 PM

Dec 2013
I rate my anime based on my enjoyment
Oct 1, 2014 8:59 PM

Dec 2013
Most people usually rate anime based on how much they can fap to it.
Also known as enjoyment.

hurr
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Oct 1, 2014 11:17 PM

Nov 2011
The wording for both options are a bit messed up.

I would lean more toward the first (though calling it "true" is a bit much). Others should rate however they want. Different people watch for different reasons, and enjoyment is no less valid a method of rating than another.
Oct 1, 2014 11:26 PM

Dec 2013
There is no such thing as objectivity, people that try and rate smth like take just come off as more bias and obnoxious.

People should just rate based on how much they liked it, try-hard elitists are annoying.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 1, 2014 11:44 PM

May 2012
if i choose animes based on whether or not it will entertain me, ill rate it based on whether or not it entertained me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2014 12:18 AM

Dec 2009
This makes me think of my literature class . . . anime is for fun, so of course I'm rating on how enjoyable it is. I also do look at the other things, but that is still based on how I liked it and how it made me feel.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No truer words. No right or wrong way of seeing something. What is wrong is to claim your way is better than someone else or degrade their view to prove that yours is superior; which just plain bullying in my opinion.

Oct 2, 2014 12:26 AM

Jan 2012
Whichever way they want. The only time I think you might be able to argue objectivity is if you're doing it as a profession, but if you're not? Go nuts.
Oct 2, 2014 12:52 AM

Nov 2013
A bit of both I guess. Might depend on my mood too.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - May 8

94 by Jaytaro10 »»
9 seconds ago

» Overall are you happy with anime released these past few seasons/years lately? :)

Rinrinka - May 8

31 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

85 by Euhi »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime you’ve been with for a while

Yonahim_Zz - May 8

26 by Scyfher »»
13 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown

rohan121 - 4 hours ago

25 by FanofAction »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.