Forum Settings
Forums

ARC Awards 2007 - Invitation to all MAL users (Results Are Now Public)

New
Feb 5, 2008 9:01 AM

Apr 2007
As many of you already know, the ARC Awards 2007 started yesterday.

So as a member of both MyAnimeList and Anime Reactor I'd like to invite all of you to participate, vote and express your opinion on last year's best anime.

Just a little info before you participate:

- You have 14 days to cast your votes.
2- You are welcome to post comments on the list of anime chosen. Even to comment on the ones missing. But please refrain from flaming if your favorite series isn't in the finalists list.
3- If you have only seen 1 or 2 anime in one category please refrain from voting! Or watch the missing ones first and vote afterwards.
4- If you have any extra doubt you can ask me, or any other member of the ARC Awards 2007 jury.
5- You can also read an insight into the nomination process here: Click
6- You can see the list of winners in previous years here: Click
johnnydFeb 22, 2008 7:54 AM
Feb 5, 2008 9:33 AM

Oct 2006
I cast my votes. I'm pretty disappointed that Terra e... didn't make it into the running for any of the awards though. It's a shoe-in for Best Character Development and should've been a major contender for Best Story and Best Sci-Fi Anime at the very least. Ahh, well, I guess it's just horribly underwatched.
Feb 5, 2008 10:07 AM

Aug 2007
Aww I gotta register? : <

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Feb 5, 2008 10:19 AM

Apr 2007
I also had a few anime that disapointingly didn't make it for some categories. And I was one of the jury. But that's just how it is. We have our personal opinions and taste, and sometimes it doesn't coincide with the general taste.

About Terra e... I watched it, I was even releasing it. And had watched the movie before. But seriously it just didn't do it for me. I enjoyed two full hands of other similar category anime a lot more this year.

Some other jury members liked it and it was nominated for:

Best Overall (First 25 places)
Best Story (First 15)
Best Character Development(First 15)
Best OST (First 15)
Best Drama (First 20)
Best Sci-Fi (Was one of the 7th Places, we had 6 finalists for this category, so it amost made it)
Best Male(First 25)
Best Villain(9th, we have 8 finalists here, so it almost made it here again)

So in the end it never made it to the finalists, almost made it in 2 categories. But honestly I believe that it wouldn't stand a chance of winning in any category.

Skarith said:
Aww I gotta register? : <

Of course, at least if you want to vote.
Feb 5, 2008 10:22 AM

Jun 2007
It's criminal that Kaiji isn't nominated for Best Character Development.

I'm fairly familiar with a lot more Anime than I actually watch, so I might grace the voting box.
Feb 5, 2008 10:24 AM

Apr 2007
BadSeafood said:
It's criminal that Kaiji isn't nominated for Best Character Development.

I'm fairly familiar with a lot more Anime than I actually watch, so I might grace the voting box.

Kaiji is on the newcomers list.

Which means that it didn't reach the minimal 80% of subbed episodes in 2007 to be valid this year.

But it will certainly be valid in the 2008 Awards. And I also like it a lot too.

So this year you can only vote for it in the Best Newcomer category.

You can see the list of valid anime and current rules here: Click
Feb 5, 2008 10:26 AM

Jun 2007
johnnyd said:
Kaiji is on the newcomers list.

Which means that it didn't reach the minimal 80% of subbed episodes in 2007 to be valid this year.

But it will certainly be valid in the 2008 Awards. And I also like it a lot too.

So this year you can only vote for it in the Best Newcomer category.

Ah, gotcha.
Feb 5, 2008 10:46 AM

Nov 2007
I guess we go to anime reactor to register?
Caliburnus: Sword Of Promised Victory
Nunquam redono
EGO sum a everto
militis de justitia ac luminis

Feb 5, 2008 11:42 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
*sighs* No links to MAL character profiles?

One of these days people are gonna wake up and figure out how nice MAL is...one of these days.
Feb 5, 2008 12:27 PM

Oct 2006
Xinil said:
One of these days people are gonna wake up and figure out how nice MAL is...one of these days.

Google seems to be catching on, at least. I've been seeing MAL come up in the first page of all sorts of searches recently.
Feb 5, 2008 1:25 PM

Jul 2007
wow, really? we'll need that info for our wiki site...
it used to be the wiki link, followed by the ANN link for most anime
and then the official american site
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2008 1:25 PM

Oct 2007
Seeing Gurren Lagann instead of Terra e in character development is kinda depressing. I'll sign up and vote later.
Feb 5, 2008 1:39 PM

Apr 2007
Xinil said:

Actually I totally agree with you. And I'm going to propose that in the jury board for the next awards. This year the problem was that I only thought of that, after we ended discussing this years rules and issues.

Feb 5, 2008 3:20 PM
Nov 2007
I'm surprised that Hidamari Sketch, and especially Sketchbook ~full color'S~ didn't get nominated for best slice of life.

Edit: Sketchbook didn't actually qualify for 07 -.-
TaktikFeb 5, 2008 4:49 PM
Feb 5, 2008 3:44 PM

Mar 2007
Xinil said:

Feb 5, 2008 4:28 PM

Sep 2007
ReverseHarem said:
Xinil said:

Feb 5, 2008 4:34 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
sHsIkuA said:
ReverseHarem said:
Xinil said:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 5, 2008 5:07 PM

Apr 2007
As I've said it will be suggested in the next Awards. The Classic Awards for the year 2000 this Summer.

So you'll probably see them. I also think MAL is by far the best place for that kind of Info.

@cyruz: I think I found out where that girl on your sig is from. :P
Feb 5, 2008 8:30 PM

Jun 2007
I've casted my votes on Sunday. I'm also sad that Terra E did not make any of the categories, but great thanks to the jury for putting it together. :)

Feb 6, 2008 10:57 AM

Jan 2008
Best overall without death note = FAIL
Really, after reading all the comments the decision of let out the overall favorite does not make sense :/
I guess in any case it is fair since that death note won the best newcomer 2006 and series like Gurren-Lagann or Baccano! deserves the awards
ZothranFeb 6, 2008 11:01 AM
Feb 8, 2008 9:51 AM

Apr 2007
Too many flaws to be the best this year. At least in my opinion. Since after L's

In any other year, it would have been a finalist. 2007 was by all standards the best ever, and I'm a regular watcher since 1996/7. It would have probably won last year against Haruhi.

Also for all you voters, I've added all the OST and Op/Ed Videos for you to watch before voting. Look at them in the respective categories.
johnnydFeb 8, 2008 9:55 AM
Feb 8, 2008 10:13 AM

Aug 2006
johnnyd said:

In any other year, it would have been a finalist. 2007 was by all standards the best ever, and I'm a regular watcher since 1996/7. It would have probably won last year against Haruhi.

That made me lol

Feb 8, 2008 10:34 AM

Apr 2007
Care to explain?

Or you don't believe the hype around Death Note is at least as big as Haruhi's?
Feb 8, 2008 10:37 AM

Nov 2007
I voted. :3

Some of the choices given were pretty fail, unfortunately.
Feb 8, 2008 12:14 PM

Jan 2008
I dont think that, neither does the public opinion, it just seems that you let it out for the simple reason that another series win, because Death note was the public favorite.

Theres isnt another explanation for all the people that complained about it, i really dont want to criticize why i dont have the right, but dont you guys think that for any reason at all why is it that in the other awards they were all with public nominations? really, its tottaly nosense to make a public poll when one of the mayor favorite is missing, and treat the users as fanboys for making the logical opinion

kasumisama said:

Agreed x3
Feb 8, 2008 12:20 PM

Mar 2007
Bleh, I don't think 2007 was the best ever XD I prefer 98 or 95 ^^ (but I already made a separate thread a while back about this, so I will not elaborate XD)
Feb 8, 2008 2:29 PM

Nov 2007
Had to not vote in a couple of categories, since I only watched one or two of the anime entered in them.
I was kinda disappointed Manabi Straight wasn't nominated for best OST but oh well. Other than that, I was generally happy with the rest of the nominations.
Feb 8, 2008 3:48 PM

Oct 2006
Well, most of the series that deserved to be there are there, but on the other hand I find it hard to believe in some of the other choices. I also find it pretty striking that Terra e... isn't nominated in a single category. Code Geass, Rocket Girls and Paprika nominated for best Sci-Fi and Terra e... is not there...? That's ridiculous... and the same could be said about the Drama/Character Development/OST categories. LoveCom & Genshiken in best C.D. (what?).
Feb 8, 2008 5:43 PM

Apr 2007
Well seeing favorites cut is unavoidable.

I'm a jury member and about 25% of my votes didn't make it. I also miss some shows. Namely Potemayo, Oh! Edo Rocket, Kenichi and a few others that didn't make it for any of their respective categories. Terra e... is also missed by a good number of people. But the vote of the majority dictates the rules.
Feb 8, 2008 9:31 PM

Nov 2004
I thought it was fine, missed some here and there but overal okay
Feb 9, 2008 5:44 AM

Jul 2007
i disagree in a lot of things but...
I cant believe that no awards for Fate Stay Night... LoL i tripple checked the 1006 post to see if i missed it or something... Unbelivable and im very dissapointed
Feb 9, 2008 6:12 AM

Apr 2007
Fate was nominated by the jury for Best Overall, Best Story, Best Adventure/Fantasy, Best Action, Best Opening / Ending, Best Male & Best Female.

We are not going to blame the jury for the public voting that didn't gave it any award. Are we?
Feb 22, 2008 7:53 AM

Apr 2007
Final results are now public.

You can check them out here:

Click
Feb 22, 2008 8:04 AM

Oct 2007
Cloud1234 said:
i disagree in a lot of things but...
I cant believe that no awards for Fate Stay Night... LoL i tripple checked the 1006 post to see if i missed it or something... Unbelivable and im very dissapointed

Ive seen Fate/stay night and even thou it was an ok anime (with some pretty cool characters) i found that there where better anime nominated.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Feb 22, 2008 8:14 AM

Sep 2007
/look at Best Horror / Thriller / Mystery winner.

Lol.
Feb 22, 2008 8:31 AM

Jul 2007
1st:I checked again and didnt saw it nominated anywhere could u plz give me a link?Thanx in advance
2nd:Well i can analyze this a lot but we wont get anywhere really.But i really believe that it was by far the best anime in OVERALL.It had better animation Sound and Story than Haruhi at least.(i know u cant compare so different genres what regards story but haruhi is 13 eps and a 2nd season is coming.U cant say that its something amazing atm and it wasnt developed that match either)FSN Had great story character development op/ed sound and animation.Well anyways i dont think we should discuss this more cause thats just my opinion and ppl differ so theres no meaning in the end.
Feb 22, 2008 8:35 AM

Apr 2007
You can see the list of winners and nominees in previous years here: Click
Feb 22, 2008 9:10 AM

Jan 2008
Zothran said:
I dont think that, neither does the public opinion, it just seems that you let it out for the simple reason that another series win, because Death note was the public favorite.

Theres isnt another explanation for all the people that complained about it, i really dont want to criticize why i dont have the right, but dont you guys think that for any reason at all why is it that in the other awards they were all with public nominations? really, its tottaly nosense to make a public poll when one of the mayor favorite is missing, and treat the users as fanboys for making the logical opinion

kasumisama said:

Agreed x3

DN win his 5 nomination lol

But Gurren-Lagann is a deserved winner :D

0 to Geass?? from part of the public and the jury?? O_o

To muchhh from the jury to nana and tokitake.

Well the winners:
Death Note: 5 awards
Gurren Lagann: 3 awards
Seirei no Moribito: 2 awards

:)
Feb 22, 2008 9:29 AM

Nov 2007
Voting went as expected, but the results are still disappointing.

Feb 22, 2008 12:19 PM

Jan 2007
most winners were indeed understandable and for the most part I can agree with. The only real beefs I have are DN winning best OP/ED and Major winning Best Sports.
Feb 22, 2008 12:34 PM

Sep 2007
johnnyd said:

I'll agree that 2007 has been the best year for anime overall, but I think Haruhi is better than anything that came out in 2007. Whatever though, personal tastes are personal. :-P

Very pleased with the results, for the most part. I'm sad that ef - a tale of memories and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei were never mentioned, but it's understandable, I suppose. I was too late to vote, unfortunately.
Feb 22, 2008 12:38 PM

Apr 2007
Faust721 said:
most winners were indeed understandable and for the most part I can agree with. The only real beefs I have are DN winning best OP/ED and Major winning Best Sports.

Well DN won in public voting. It's highly popular, so it won in all categories nominated as expected. It would win public best romance if nominated... Personally I like maximum the hormone and think the animation of the op2/ed2 are great so I really don't mind it winning. Despite that I voted Nana and DN was my runner up. But music tastes are always a very subjective thing.

About Major the only competition was OverDrive imo.

naikou said:
I'm sad that ef - a tale of memories and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei were never mentioned, but it's understandable, I suppose. I was too late to vote, unfortunately.

Both were mentioned and nominated for their respective categories. But they didn't win any.

BTW I'm re-watching Haruhi right now in dvd order. Let's see if I change my opinion on it a little. Btw my opinion was between good and very good but never great. But as I watched it in a row while sleepy from 1 to 5 a.m. I'm giving it a second chance.
johnnydFeb 22, 2008 12:45 PM
Feb 22, 2008 12:42 PM

Sep 2007
oic. Well, that's what I get for missing the nomination stage.
Feb 22, 2008 12:51 PM

Jul 2007
Without being totally biased (Manabi Straight is SUPERIOR to Lucky Star in slice-of-life!), I can understand many of these awards and don't believe there are any undeserving of them.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Feb 22, 2008 1:04 PM

Apr 2007
Splitter said:
Without being totally biased (Manabi Straight is SUPERIOR to Lucky Star in slice-of-life!), I can understand many of these awards and don't believe there are any undeserving of them.
I totally agree with you. And I didn't vote for it. But the fanbase on Lucky Star is highly superior in numbers thus these results.

Nonetheless every nominee is already a winner. Since it was one of the best in it's genre that year. That's the intention of the awards. To highlight the best in each category every year. This way you have a very reliable list to help you decide what to watch.

The favorite among them will always vary according to personal taste and public votes reflect popularity among quality, not just quality.
johnnydFeb 22, 2008 1:10 PM
Feb 22, 2008 2:13 PM

Feb 2008
Cloud1234 said:
1st:I checked again and didnt saw it nominated anywhere could u plz give me a link?Thanx in advance
2nd:Well i can analyze this a lot but we wont get anywhere really.But i really believe that it was by far the best anime in OVERALL.It had better animation Sound and Story than Haruhi at least.(i know u cant compare so different genres what regards story but haruhi is 13 eps and a 2nd season is coming.U cant say that its something amazing atm and it wasnt developed that match either)FSN Had great story character development op/ed sound and animation.Well anyways i dont think we should discuss this more cause thats just my opinion and ppl differ so theres no meaning in the end.

Who cares, FSN was epic fail. Completely overrated trash, and this is for 07 anime anyway.

The fact that Toward the Terra (wtf is with you calling it Terra E?) didnt make the sci/fi/fantasy vote is beyond me. Even objectively this anime is great and is worth being up for the vote. The fact that it was underrated at the time of voting is sad, but does not mean it didnt deserve to be there. Im no sci/fi fan, but as far as story goes, characters go, etc, this anime was better than half of the ones on the list.

More topics from this board

» 1 trick pony, but it's actually peak!

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

11 by APolygons2 »»
17 seconds ago

» Best maid character?

Serafos - 3 hours ago

19 by SuperAdventure »»
2 minutes ago

» Does Manhwa Anime reflect the Plastic Surgery Culture of Korea?

Dragevard - 18 minutes ago

2 by tchitchouan »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

39 by deg »»
30 minutes ago

» favorite anime under 50 episodes?

RedTea33 - 11 hours ago

28 by _MackynCheese_ »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.