Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2009 9:15 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Was I supposed to take this episode seriously? It was so... exaggerated that I knew it was a dream. Anyway, maybe this means Kyosuke is gonna end up with Hikaru? I hope not.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 17, 2010 3:29 PM

Jun 2007
Two worst KOR episode contenders, in the space of three episodes. I'm almost impressed.

So, let me guess this straight: Kyosuke needed to be punished for thinking/saying what he should have around 40 episodes earlier, and everything was made right by him claiming he wanted to see Hikaru smile more than anyone... right next to Madoka? What a load of rubbish. Clearly, either the author or animation studio tried to convince themselves Hikaru has a purpose other than being annoying as fuck, and the attempt ended in failure.

The only way an episode like this would be good is if Hikaru actually died. An over the top, obvious dream episode, centered around the plot device, is not want I want to be seeing, so close to the end. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this was one of the last manga chapters before it was canceled, and if that's so then it's no wonder.

Everything now rests with the final three episodes, which I'm assuming/hoping are serious, based on episode 45 being the cut-off point for all but the final, post-TV series OVA episode.
Jan 9, 2016 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
what's with the last 3 episodes

one was so serious, it was out of place

one was yet another retelling of a joke once done

one was just a dream

jesus christ
at this point, the lack of cohesion is killing me

it feels like they ran out of material to work on and tried experimenting by mashing every random shit they could think of and hope it works out

well rumiko's works are like that as well, but NOT as extreme as this
2 consecutive episodes are the definition of polarity

though i guess this is acceptable, since it's old and today's standards would never accept "it's just a dream"

but really mane, this show has just become way too predictable already
it would be overstaying its welcome by doing the same things again and again
Apr 10, 2016 8:09 PM

Jun 2014
They really wanted us to feel bad for Hikaru in this episode, didn't they?

It looks like Kyosuke's sisters, with the help of their Gandfather, played a little trick on Kyosuke after hearing what he said about Hikaru, and it certainly scared him.

Hikaru is a great, cheerful person, but Kyosuke is eventually going to have to let her know that it's Madoka who he loves.

Dec 4, 2017 8:27 AM
Nov 2015
i didn't expect they waited this late and it's still fillers. Usually a shitty show would have a good 1st cour, terrible 2nd and 3rd cour, and saving the best for the last cour.

But this is beyond the definition of shitty. From ep 24 on has been complete shitstorm.
Dec 4, 2017 8:44 AM
Nov 2015
I thought I could stop shitting on this, but when this line came, "So, the one keeping us all together is, all this time.... Hikaru-chan", I was so f@cking maddddddd.

So, the point of this ep is showing the bond of friendship, that a supposedly stupid girl actually plays the role of bonding the whole group together. And, it also shows Kasuga's fear of his world coming down if he confesses to Hikaru that he u know what.

But this is f@cking bullshit. Because the context and what had gone before makes this not just bad but pretentious and downright horrible.

Hikaru has no f@cking chemistry with any member of the group, she's just as well as dead, or a tree. Second, this is such a lame excuse to justify the lameness and horribleness of this love-TRIANGLE, or the existence of Hikaru at all.

Shows like K-On where there is a dumb girl actually accomplish the feat of showing her necessity and cruciality to a group of friends. Because they from the start put a lot of thought in portraying their chemistry, their sweetness to one another, and make them as adorable or understandable or lifelike as possible.

This shitty excuse of a show did nothing and it could dare to have the damn Kyosuke guy say "Hikaru is the one holding us together." WTF??

Good Ending song though. And Umao and Ushiko.
Sean_NessmanDec 4, 2017 8:52 AM
Nov 29, 2018 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
Lol, this episode was absurd. I was baffled the entire time, even though I knew it was likely going to be a dream, it was just so weird. It was pretty clever how it wasn't just a dream and how it was his grandpa playing tricks on him as requested by Kurumi and Manami.
The ending of this episode was really sweet, and it goes to show that Kyosuke does care for Hikaru. Maybe not out of romantic love, per se... yet, still more than a sisterly love.
Even so, he'll have to break Hikaru's heart one of these days...

And, just to respond to the pieces of shit above me: Hikaru does have chemistry with the group. She's a more giddy and girly companion to Madoka. And maybe her death wouldn't be as dramatic as the dream made it to be (the whole town wouldn't get involved, Kurumi/Manami wouldn't become monks, Kyosuke's father wouldn't quit photography, etc... but tbh, Yuusaku likely would do what he did :P), but Hikaru's death would certainly break Madoka and it is likely that she would move out of Japan. Likewise, once Madoka is gone, Kyosuke would have nothing left in the town aside from ABCB which will make him depressed because of not having Hikaru/Madoka, and he'd have his shitty (yet still hilarious) friends Komatsu and Hatta, but that would be it, so Kyosuke and his family would move to another town to escape it all.

Hikaru is a fun, adorable soul and is an important girl to the friend group, without a doubt. Hikaru haters can suck it.
removed-userNov 29, 2018 10:08 AM
Apr 4, 2020 7:58 AM

May 2016
Staff: Director san we had enough of Hikaru, can we focus at least 3 episodes for Madoka x Kasuga official ship?

Diroctor: says furiously "NO, STRETCH IT MORE TILL THE END" and NO IS NO.

I believe this conversation had happened when it was in production, I understood the point
of this episode that Kyouske cares for Hikaru, but I don't see any breaking point at this late.
Apr 4, 2020 2:59 PM

Nov 2016
This had the best Ushiko und Umao scene so far xD

Quite liked the episode

@Raizel

I dunno about you, but I had a big smile at the end.

Poor Yuusaku, tho, he's still getting cucked and this time it was beyond brutal. Hikaru dismissively told him to get in the river for her, while she was hugging her darling. Lord have mercy on his poor Soul.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 7, 2020 8:08 PM
Jun 2014
Me hizo llorar este capítulo. Por suerte fue un sueño. No sabes lo que tienes hasta que lo pierdes. Menos mal que hikaru-chan sigue viva
Jul 31, 2021 8:33 AM

Sep 2020
Haha, so much hate for this episode.

The true thing is, yeah, it was kind of predictable, and yeah, I get people hate Hikaru since she doesn't let the obviously winning ship be, but come on guys, it wasn't that bad.

If anything, I feel like we've only had Ayukawa and Kasuga moments throughout the series, so seeing an episode like this felt nice, even if we all know she's not the one that will get chosen.
Jan 19, 2022 6:59 AM

Jan 2018
What the absolute fuck.

Is this the studio's feeble attempt at making Hikaru somewhat relevant before the series ends? It was done in such a lackluster way. You could tell it was a dream straightaway (though part of me wished it was more of a complicated hypnosis where Kyosuke acts like a dumbass to everyone and nobody has a clue what the fuck he's doing). Yes we experience strange things in dreams that we'll find serious while in the dream but ridiculous while awake. This episode points that to the nose way too much. They actually could've created a real nightmare instead of this overexaggerated fuck. Don't tell me the writers thought nobody would give a fuck about a serious death episode of Hikaru so they tried making it comedic instead? That'd be fucking hilarious.

Yuusaku seems to be a simp to Hikaru till the end. No, simp is too kind to describe him. He's more like a slave.

I can already tell what's going to happen in the next episode. Madoka and Kyosuke will try to get intimate and either Kyosuke will wimp out or their session will be cut short by an awkwardly timed interruption. These kinds of episodes were fine in the middle of the series but now it feels pointless.
I remember Urusei Yatsura pissed me off with weak final episodes but then the movie made it up. I sure hope that is the case here. But to be fair I did start this series expecting something like this to happen after seeing it has 2 sequel movies.
0451Jan 19, 2022 11:17 AM
Jan 21, 6:21 AM

Jul 2011
Reply to 0451
What the absolute fuck.

Is this the studio's feeble attempt at making Hikaru somewhat relevant before the series ends? It was done in such a lackluster way. You could tell it was a dream straightaway (though part of me wished it was more of a complicated hypnosis where Kyosuke acts like a dumbass to everyone and nobody has a clue what the fuck he's doing). Yes we experience strange things in dreams that we'll find serious while in the dream but ridiculous while awake. This episode points that to the nose way too much. They actually could've created a real nightmare instead of this overexaggerated fuck. Don't tell me the writers thought nobody would give a fuck about a serious death episode of Hikaru so they tried making it comedic instead? That'd be fucking hilarious.

Yuusaku seems to be a simp to Hikaru till the end. No, simp is too kind to describe him. He's more like a slave.

I can already tell what's going to happen in the next episode. Madoka and Kyosuke will try to get intimate and either Kyosuke will wimp out or their session will be cut short by an awkwardly timed interruption. These kinds of episodes were fine in the middle of the series but now it feels pointless.
I remember Urusei Yatsura pissed me off with weak final episodes but then the movie made it up. I sure hope that is the case here. But to be fair I did start this series expecting something like this to happen after seeing it has 2 sequel movies.
@0451 It's funny to see someone with a Lum profile picture say that when Hikaru is essentially the series Lum (except she's not as abusive.) lol
Jan 21, 6:33 AM

Jan 2018
AndyPRO said:
@0451 It's funny to see someone with a Lum profile picture say that when Hikaru is essentially the series Lum (except she's not as abusive.) lol

Except Hikaru is nowhere near as appealing as Lum. She's basically all of the annoying aspects of Lum without all the charm but I digress.

Also, you posted the same reply 3 times.
Jan 21, 8:24 AM

Jul 2011
Reply to 0451
AndyPRO said:

Except Hikaru is nowhere near as appealing as Lum. She's basically all of the annoying aspects of Lum without all the charm but I digress.

Also, you posted the same reply 3 times.
@0451 Can't say I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Lum (except for her design) but I found Hikaru really endearing.
Apr 11, 4:34 PM

Jan 2021
Even though I think Hikaru is best girl I still really liked this episode even though she "died". It was so over the top it was a nice break from all the serious episodes lately. I think this was probably the best episode so far. I like it when it's sillier like this.
Apr 11, 9:22 PM

Jul 2023
The only reason I dislike this episode is because it's a Hikaru-centric episode, but it's a good one.

So bratty of Hikaru to exchange notes in a diary, then ask him to read the contents aloud in front of Madoka. tsk

Anyway, I knew it was a dream when there was talk of a national day of mourning for Hikaru.

She won this episode. I can't wait for the inevitable split.
patkarununganApr 11, 9:30 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 48 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 23, 2009

38 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 12, 4:18 AM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 47 Discussion

21 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 12, 3:40 AM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 46 Discussion

9 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 44 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 22, 2009

13 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange Road Episode 43 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 22, 2009

37 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 11, 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.