Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2014 2:56 PM
Sep 2013
Long story short, my friend, who never watched any anime or cartoons, but who loves western live action shows, Game Of Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc, and who loves reading western novels, happened to watch Death Note.
And absolutely he loved it. He said it was the best animated series he has ever seen.

That being said, he quickly found other anime shows I suggested to him, extremely "weird" , "childish" and too "cultural/region specific".

What's, in your opinion, so appealing about Death Note that it is so likable by the western audience?
Would you love to see more anime be more similar to western TV shows/movies.
Or would you prefer anime to stay a "niche"?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2014 2:58 PM

Jun 2013
Yes. We need more shows like Bebop
Jul 1, 2014 3:02 PM

Feb 2010
Death Note is dark, edgy, intense and deals with moral issues, obviously western fans love it.

And I'd personally like anime to have more of an adult mainstream appeal, to treat topics that some live action series do, like crime and drugs for example, but on the other hand for realistic settings like The Wire or Oz animation is not necessary so in the end I don't really care as long as shows like that are produced in other mediums.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 1, 2014 3:04 PM

Dec 2012
No. I hate to see western friendly anime. I'm cool with anime the way it's now.
Jul 1, 2014 3:05 PM
Aug 2012
Worst idea I've seen all day.
Jul 1, 2014 3:06 PM

Nov 2008
Fuck no

Anime is a business which produces content to make a profit, what you want will never sell in Japan anymore.

Jul 1, 2014 3:07 PM
Mar 2013
if you want western media, watch western media.
Jul 1, 2014 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
pls no, I like my wierd anime.
Jul 1, 2014 3:08 PM

Sep 2013
Toning down some of the extreme elements might open more doors in the international market for the producers.
Jul 1, 2014 3:10 PM

Oct 2012
Death Note's not even similar to western live-action series, it's unique piece of fiction itself
Jul 1, 2014 3:11 PM
Aug 2012
NebulaC3I said:
Toning down some of the extreme elements might open more doors in the international market for the producers.
I would rather have otaku pandering shit than western pandering shit.
Jul 1, 2014 3:11 PM

Nov 2008
NebulaC3I said:

It's been tried recently and look what it resulted in, Disney outdid 4kids and ruined Doraemon as a result of this idea. Anime must stay the way it is, with as much creative freedom possible and made more for the Japanese viewership.

Jul 1, 2014 3:12 PM

Nov 2013
>What's, in your opinion, so appealing about Death Note that it is so likable by the western audience?

For the most part wester audience has an opinion that animation is a childish medium. Ofcourse they would love something that looks a bit more mature at the first glance. Though Death Note just look mature. Honestly it's just a show for teenagers. (Even though for some unknow reason many people thinks DN is mature.)

>Would you love to see more anime be more similar to western TV shows/movies.

No, if i wished for something like that i would watch wester TV shows/movies why bother with cartoons?

>Or would you prefer anime to stay a "niche"?

I would prefer to get some actually mature and 'inteligent' shows, at least we got Mushishi S2 this year.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2014 3:16 PM
Sep 2013
I'm quite sure Death Note would have been a better show if they removed that Death God (whatever was his name) and that Girl.
I don't think the show is extremely "mature", but not as "childish" as most anime shows.
Jul 1, 2014 3:17 PM

Aug 2013
caperock said:
I'm quite sure Death Note would have been a better show if they removed that Death God (whatever was his name) and that Girl.
I don't think the show is extremely "mature", but not as "childish" as most anime shows.
I agree with removing annoying Misa but Ryuk was one of the funniest guys in the show. Plus without him no Death Note.
Jul 1, 2014 3:17 PM

Sep 2013
Hoppy said:
NebulaC3I said:

It's been tried recently and look what it resulted in, Disney outdid 4kids and ruined Doraemon as a result of this idea. Anime must stay the way it is, with as much creative freedom possible and made more for the Japanese viewership.

It might be hard to do, but it isn't impossible. Aiming for the audience of Disney Channel isn't what I had in mind either, westerns can handle a little more than that.
Jul 1, 2014 3:18 PM

Nov 2013
caperock said:
Death God (whatever was his name) and that Girl.

Ryuk was a decent comedy relief character to be honest, plus in a way he is pretty important to the story.

As for Misa, well not every one can create an anime without mindless moe thing.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2014 3:18 PM

Dec 2012
caperock said:

What? Ryuki is an important character, if he didn't exist Light wouldn't have obtained the death note.

I still don't get the dislike/hate for Misa. She was also an important character at the very least, annoying or not. And I'm pretty sure that

Jul 1, 2014 3:19 PM

Jul 2012
Gekishin said:

This.

I watch anime because its different.
Jul 1, 2014 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
Most likely not.
I am not sure about most of the people,so I am going to speak for myself.
Westernizing anime,making it less...weird,would ruin it for me. What I like about anime is it's randomness,craziness and how different it is.
Sure,some anime with few western elements would not hurt,maybe it would be even good,for variability's sake. But westernizing anime thoroughfully? Nope,thanks.
Jul 1, 2014 3:51 PM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
caperock said:

What? Ryuki is an important character, if he didn't exist Light wouldn't have obtained the death note.

I still don't get the dislike/hate for Misa. She was also an important character at the very least, annoying or not. And I'm pretty sure that

True but her obsession with Light ,her ditsy personality, her voice was kind of irritating and Light basically just played her like a fiddle like he did with the other girl. Plus the spoiler you posted is a reason why L fans would hate her.
Jul 1, 2014 3:51 PM
Oct 2010
What do you mean by western friendly? Less otaku pandering and less "japanese"? If so then sure why not. If you mean western style then.. no.
Jul 1, 2014 4:00 PM

Aug 2013
skudoops said:
What do you mean by western friendly? Less otaku pandering and less "japanese"? If so then sure why not. If you mean western style then.. no.
I think he means less otaku pandering not less Japanese. An anime with a lot of Japanese culture would not necessarily be a turn off for western fans . Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal seems to be well received by western fans and it has a lot of Japanese culture.
Jul 1, 2014 4:05 PM

Apr 2012
damn yanks trying to influence my Chinese cartoons

down with western imperialism!!!!!!!! >_>
BANZAI

Jul 1, 2014 4:43 PM
Dec 2013
NO!
Jul 1, 2014 4:47 PM

May 2014
Trigun apparently got a shit ton of flak in Japan but was praised in the west. But Trigun isn't really similar to Death Note.
Jul 1, 2014 5:00 PM
Mar 2011
no becuse moral guardians in Japan nibbling the ears of law ma rkers is enough as it is anime studios do not need us moral bibilethumpers and people like libermen and laike involved too
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 1, 2014 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
No. :/
Jul 1, 2014 5:12 PM

Jan 2014
Yes. We need more anime like Western stuff. Like the anime Avatar.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 1, 2014 5:13 PM
Apr 2013
No. We need more SpongeBob.
Jul 1, 2014 5:40 PM
Oct 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
skudoops said:
I think he means less otaku pandering not less Japanese. An anime with a lot of Japanese culture would not necessarily be a turn off for western fans . Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal seems to be well received by western fans and it has a lot of Japanese culture.

I don't mean less japanese culture per say, more like less things that mostly appeal to japanese people or that they alone could understand.
Jul 1, 2014 5:42 PM
Mar 2011
skudoops said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I don't mean less japanese culture per say, more like less things that mostly appeal to japanese people or that they alone could understand.

that is what whitewashed dubs are for
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 1, 2014 5:44 PM

Aug 2013
skudoops said:
DrGeroCreation said:

So like jokes and sayings etc. that mainly only Japanese people would get. Okay I see what you mean.
Jul 1, 2014 5:46 PM
Jan 2013
Gekishin said:
NebulaC3I said:

As sad as it sounds, I agree with this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2014 6:11 PM

Dec 2012
I see nothing wrong with more Gankutsuou, Monster, and fma level anime so long as it doesn't result in the shortage of my lolis and kawaii things.
Jul 1, 2014 6:50 PM

May 2014
As far as I'm concerned "anime" is just animation from Japan, to me the line between Anime and all other animation is too fuzzy to act as if anime is a separate medium. So I don't give a shit whether it draws from Japanese or American culture, I just care if it's good.

I mean, no one seems to be complaining about Baccano having literally nothing to do with Japan, but if we propose making more shows like that suddenly that's a problem?

I don't really get why people here love animation from Japan, but there seems to be some kind of deference or rejection of Western animation.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jul 1, 2014 10:08 PM

Feb 2012
Hmm... so do I want more shows that appeal to close-minded jerks. I think I lean towards "no". Anime provides things that you can't find anywhere else. That is really the most important thing. The best stuff anime has are not the casual shows, but the core genres appealing to specialized niches.
Jul 1, 2014 10:16 PM

Mar 2014
sure. fine with me.
Jul 1, 2014 10:36 PM

Dec 2012
Since Black Lagoon and Jormungand exist and are some of my favorite anime due to badass awesomeness, I'd say yeah, bring on more western influenced stuff.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 1, 2014 10:58 PM

Mar 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Death Note is dark, edgy, intense and deals with moral issues, obviously western fans love it.

And I'd personally like anime to have more of an adult mainstream appeal, to treat topics that some live action series do, like crime and drugs for example, but on the other hand for realistic settings like The Wire or Oz animation is not necessary so in the end I don't really care as long as shows like that are produced in other mediums.
Jul 1, 2014 11:23 PM
Mar 2011
Kruszer said:
Since Black Lagoon and Jormungand exist and are some of my favorite anime due to badass awesomeness, I'd say yeah, bring on more western influenced stuff.

Black Lagoon based alot in hong kong is it not so ver much bot western

Jul 1, 2014 11:31 PM

Nov 2012
FGAU1912 said:
Kruszer said:

The setting may not be western, but the themes are very much western-like.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jul 1, 2014 11:37 PM

Dec 2012
MiniSiets said:
FGAU1912 said:

Yep, both franchises have that distinct gritty R-rated Hollywood blockbuster action flick feel to them, lots of over the top gunfights, explosions, car chases, etc.
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 1, 2014 11:38 PM
Nov 2008
sure. i'd like so see an anime about owning a burger joint.
Jul 1, 2014 11:42 PM

Dec 2012
Heredity said:
sure. i'd like so see an anime about owning a burger joint.

Why not, there's one about bartending.
KruszerJul 2, 2014 12:03 AM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 1, 2014 11:54 PM

Jun 2009
MiniSiets said:
FGAU1912 said:

What made something western and not eastern?

Seeing that you made that statement, I assume you're very familiar with Asian pop-culture or movies?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2014 12:23 AM

Dec 2012
AirStyles said:
MiniSiets said:

What made something western and not eastern?

Seeing that you made that statement, I assume you're very familiar with Asian pop-culture or movies?

Yes, I've seen more than fair share of both. Mostly it's the type of action favored, the names and origins of the characters, and the types of humor and references used by the author and characters that make them feel more Hollwood-like than Asian films.
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 2, 2014 1:10 AM
Feb 2014
If your friend likes deathnote then recommend him to serious shows, and eventually he might move on to romance and comedy related genres. Try telling him about fullmetal alchemist brotherhood or something. Anime is made to sell well in japan, not America.
Jul 2, 2014 1:30 AM

Jun 2014
I took IB Art for my senior year in high school and in several of the books I read manga/anime art skyrocketed after the conclusion of World War II. "Kawaii" characters and plots proliferated following that era. Honestly, the way anime is now is perfect (imo). I love it. We have a large variety of genres. Those special animes such as Death Note and NGNL are definitely breathers that get your blood going.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

58 by _ATG_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

85 by maya2003s »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

27 by shiro-seishun »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.