Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 23, 2014 12:53 PM
Sep 2007
Currently:

Asuka: 5753 favorites
Rei: 4810 favorites

I remember few years ago, when Rei had about 2000, and Asuka 1600 favorites...

Altough I liked Rei's design, overall, I always liked Asuka more, but it always seemed to me, even before I was on MAL, that Rei was the most popular girl in series, like, the most recognizable NGE character.

So it surprised me how Asuka seems more popular these days...

Why is it so?

Because of Asuka's tsundere kind nature in these Rebuild movies?
Or because passive girls like Rei aren't as attractive as before?
Jun 23, 2014 12:54 PM
Mar 2011
no rei makes money
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 23, 2014 12:57 PM

Jul 2011
Rei makes money on MAL
Jun 23, 2014 12:59 PM
Mar 2011
rei is by far the most influential charcter of the 1990's
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 23, 2014 1:03 PM

Jul 2011
That is why Asuka became more popular than Rei on MAL
Jun 23, 2014 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
Asuka is more popular cause:

1.) She's a whore.
2.) She gets choked
3.) Shes a whore
4.) Shes a whore
Nov 15, 2014 7:55 AM

Sep 2011
I don't know people love Tsundere. I thought she was fucking obnoxious in the original T.V. series and I thought she was just as bad in the rebuilds. Never cared for her, always thought she should have died instead of Rei. Either way NGE is a pretentious clusterfuck of an anime so it doesn't rustle my jimmies which one wins the MAL popularity contest.
Nov 15, 2014 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
Before watching NGE the only character I constantly saw around was Asuka. I didnt even know about shinji or Rei. I though she was the MC x)

After watching it I think I like her becase she has some awesome/badass scenes idk

Nov 26, 2014 10:52 PM

Jan 2013
People love tsundere more than kuudere.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 30, 2016 8:49 AM
Sep 2007
Asuka is now over 10000.

Seriously, surprising.
Jul 30, 2016 9:09 AM

Mar 2015
Mal has shit taste, big surprise there.
Apr 9, 2017 2:14 PM

Feb 2013
They kinda butchered all what Rei built during the first two movies, all the emotions and feelings and left her even more emotionless than she was at the begining of the series while Asuka remained more or less the same bitch as she asways was...
May 6, 2017 4:02 PM

Dec 2015
Psajdak said:
Rei was the most popular girl in series, like, the most recognizable NGE character.

Asuka was always the popular one out of the two. Rei had more echo because she became very rapidly Evangelion: she is the show's icone, the most recognizable character indeed (probably more recognizable than the Eva-1 itself).
Jul 1, 2017 10:13 PM

Jun 2015
Both girls in the rebuilds are shit tier.

Jul 15, 2017 8:46 AM
Jan 2017
sk8ter_boi said:
This is 100% unrelated but I looked at your list and noticed that you rated the third Berserk movie worse than the first two and it doesn't make any sense considering you liked the 1997 anime. The third movie had only a few things wrong with it compared to the first two and it confuses me how people could possibly dislike it the most.
Jul 15, 2017 8:51 AM

Oct 2014
weird i always had the oposite impression, asuka being the poster and more recognizable girl for this series, before and after watching the series
i can easily see why she would be more popular though, her character arc can impact people way more than something as abstract as the one from rei, and her tsundere is by itself so iconic and memorable, it is not by accident that it has been by copied to the letter, dozens of times in later series
Jul 15, 2017 9:21 AM

Jun 2015
Jason_Funderberk said:
sk8ter_boi said:
This is 100% unrelated but I looked at your list and noticed that you rated the third Berserk movie worse than the first two and it doesn't make any sense considering you liked the 1997 anime. The third movie had only a few things wrong with it compared to the first two and it confuses me how people could possibly dislike it the most.
Never really got into the manga so I only compare the 97 anime and the movies.

The 97 show wrapped up wonderfully, felt conclusive, and was deeply emotional at the end.
The movies were all bad. The first two were lazy, the last was insulting. Drawing out the scene took all the emotional weight away. It just was hard to watch. And it's not just due to the subject matter. I love Irreversible and it has a more intense viewing of that. It's the way it was handled. Also, drawing the story out passed the eclipse just felt pointless and only really served to ruin the best character in the series imo.

Jul 15, 2017 9:32 AM
Jan 2017
sk8ter_boi said:
Jason_Funderberk said:

The 97 show wrapped up wonderfully, felt conclusive, and was deeply emotional at the end.
The movies were all bad. The first two were lazy, the last was insulting. Drawing out the scene took all the emotional weight away. It just was hard to watch. And it's not just due to the subject matter. I love Irreversible and it has a more intense viewing of that. It's the way it was handled. Also, drawing the story out passed the eclipse just felt pointless and only really served to ruin the best character in the series imo.

I thought that the third movie was great except for the removal of Wyald and also how the sex and rape scenes were handled. The entire movie had great pacing and animation because the animators figured out how to use cgi and 2d without them looking jarring together, and they didn't try to condense 5 volumes of content into an hour long movie this time. Extending past the eclipse was necissary so that the series could continue the anime adaption because the Golden Age is only 20% of the manga's story, and it was necissary to show how they escaped in order to animate the Conviction Arc. Of course the rape scene was awful, the music was a horrible choice and it made the whole thing feel like cheap shock value in contrast to the original anime. Honestly those animators probably learned about sex from cheap 80s hentai because every sex scene in the movie was weird as hell. Also you should totally read the manga.
Oct 13, 2017 11:24 PM

Nov 2016
Asuka is best girl, and always to be.
Oct 13, 2017 11:25 PM

Jan 2013
Asuka is a disgusting piece of shit.
Oct 15, 2017 8:19 PM
Sep 2015
Asuka was and still is the Most popular of the 2 and her personality is perfect while rei basicly is a Shell the creator sometimes forgot about her completly and Added some minor thing at the end thats why shes completly absent Most of the time but that actually gives her the mysterious feel
Nov 10, 2017 12:28 PM

Sep 2013
Rei is hardly human and could be replaced with a cyborg trying to understand the human condition. That's why I never liked her that much.
Asuka can be sassy af, but there's actually something there to latch onto. You either get her charm, or you don't; hence why so many either love her or despise her

code said:
Jason_Funderberk said:

Freaking EVA fanboys... Way to make this thread about something completely unrelated just so you can bitch about the rebuilds.
idek how anyone could be satisfied with the end of the 97 show, but I stopped trying to understand grimderp, tryhard, eva psuedo-intellectuals.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2017 12:50 PM

Oct 2013
always prefer asuka.. no wait.. misato for me
Nov 10, 2017 3:05 PM

Jun 2015
Mickdrew said:

Freaking EVA fanboys... Way to make this thread about something completely unrelated just so you can bitch about the rebuilds.
idek how anyone could be satisfied with the end of the 97 show, but I stopped trying to understand grimderp, tryhard, eva psuedo-intellectuals.
Kind of an old quote, but whatever.

I didn't derail to talk about Berserk, the guy quoting me did. I just responded to that.
So, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

The end of the 97 show came full circle and wrapped up all of the relevant character arcs in a meaningful way. It wasn't a happy ending, not by any means. But that doesn't mean it was bad at all.

Also, hope you've been well Mick.

Nov 10, 2017 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
asuka>rei

cuz in japanese rei means 0
and thats what she is
a 0
Nov 10, 2017 3:48 PM

Jul 2015
Both suck anyways, they shouldn't have favs.
Nov 10, 2017 3:53 PM

Aug 2015
Not a surprise, taking into account that Asuka is best girl. Although Rei is great too. I'm more surprised by the fact that Shinji has 6,600 faves as of now.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓☆ふわふわる▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
      BE KAWAII         
Nov 14, 2017 2:53 PM

Sep 2013
code said:
Mickdrew said:

I didn't derail to talk about Berserk, the guy quoting me did. I just responded to that.

The end of the 97 show came full circle and wrapped up all of the relevant character arcs in a meaningful way. It wasn't a happy ending, not by any means. But that doesn't mean it was bad at all.

Huh? Do I know you...? Is this Codephat? Sorry, it's been a while and I'm drawing a blank

Derailing for the rebuild movies means taking every thread and making it "original vs rebuilds", even when the topic is unrelated. But yeah, all 3 of you are guilty of that.

AmMar-Sama said:
Mickdrew said:
Rei is hardly human and could be replaced with a cyborg trying to understand the human condition.

The difference between Rei and a cyborg is the fact that she might (and actually does) understand & develop emotions over time. Seeing the struggle while having her reach that stage bit by bit is quite endearing, at least to me.

Well, Rei did develop in 2.22, but then this movie (3.33) hit the reset button and made that all irrelevant.
It's been a while since I saw the original NGE, but I don't remember her being much different by the end. We learned about who she is and her true significance, but she was still emotionless af.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2017 3:05 PM

Sep 2009
TBH I never finished the new movies, but in general, it's not surprising. Anime fans are a lot less analytical than it used to be; I remember the days when Eva fans ridiculously overanalyzed the plot... And something about who was related to who and something else about the creator not intending to create it with that depth... Yeah, I was never an Eva fan lmao.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 14, 2017 5:59 PM

Oct 2017
Tsundere's are just more popular for some reason. Fuck Asuka though, she was an obnoxious bitch. I wanted her to die each time she was on screen

Rei was at least ok. Overall NGE in general is shit though
Nov 15, 2017 5:38 AM

Sep 2013
AmMar-Sama said:
We don't really know for sure what happened to the Rei in 2.22; she might come back.

If this happens in 3.0+1.0 (Assuming it's released in our lifetime) then I will already love it
Nov 20, 2017 6:37 PM

Jun 2015
Mickdrew said:
code said:

Huh? Do I know you...? Is this Codephat? Sorry, it's been a while and I'm drawing a blank

Derailing for the rebuild movies means taking every thread and making it "original vs rebuilds", even when the topic is unrelated. But yeah, all 3 of you are guilty of that.
Yeah, that's me.

And nah, I didn't derail.
The topic is in 3.0's thread, so it's still relevant to the (really old) op.

Nov 20, 2017 7:52 PM

Aug 2009
Like with Yukiko Amagi, I don't hate Rei. But the people who are uguu for Rei are some of the creepiest people I've run into.

Nov 25, 2017 2:19 PM

Dec 2013
Who cares about Asuka or Rei, Kaworu is the real shit
Nov 30, 2017 2:58 PM

Apr 2017
Yeah, Asuka is a damn pig but I still like badass asuka.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 9, 2018 7:53 PM

Aug 2010
goodshitgoOdshit said:
Who cares about Asuka or Rei, Kaworu is the real shit

Shut up Shinji.
Jokes aside. I think Rei is more liked than Asuka in Japan and vice-versa in the west.

Pretty sure Anno and the staffs likes Kaworu better than those two, just like Rebuild movies. 1.11 is compressed version of episode 1-6, 2.22 is super compressed version of episode 7-23 and 3.33 is super expanded version of episode 24.
awrupJan 9, 2018 7:58 PM
May 10, 2018 11:27 AM
Feb 2018
No, it's not surprising since it's been shown several times that the Asuka favorites are rigged, with thousands of fake profiles being generated to up the score.
Aug 15, 2019 7:53 AM
Jan 2018
Ive always preferred misato but that's just me
Aug 15, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
I haven't seen the rebuild movies. However, I theorize that the reason Asuka became more popular, is because people have grown to like characters with more well-defined personalities, unlike Rei who's too monotonous.
Mar 3, 2021 9:34 PM
Dec 2014
KAWORU is better than those two.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dupa - Dec 17, 2012

786 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 8:45 PM

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

76 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.