Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
May 18, 2020 1:15 AM

Jan 2010
Did he just kill that kid?

The mushi's strategy to have a grandma watch over her unborn grandson is to kill her before she even has kids?

This was unintelligible nonsense.
May 24, 2020 4:35 AM

Oct 2013
beautiful beyond words. This thread is a series of me breaking down in awe every time I revisit this episode, the only episode I've ever revisited. Five times now I well up in tears as the story climaxes, but this time at Ginko's soliloquy as he described Shinra's tears flowing without end as he experienced, in empathy, his grandmother's overwhelming sadness. I always got hung up on the power of the final line before, but something about that bit specifically struck a chord with me this time.

It's been six years; I should really, finally, revisit the whole show.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 24, 2020 8:02 PM

Aug 2019
wow, i... that was actually a stunning first episode, where has this anime been all my life???
Can't believe i haven't watched this yet, it's got a lot of the of elements of an anime i love to watch (SOL, Supernatural, Fantasy, magic) im so surprised i haven't come across this sooner.
Honestly rn i'm getting a lot of flash backs to watching The Ancient Magus Bride (my all time favourite anime) with the mysteries, supernatural start and being slowly introduced into this world of fantasy and supernatural.
Aug 13, 2020 1:58 AM

Jan 2019
Already loving it!
Jan 17, 2021 10:56 AM

Jun 2019
Heard a lot about this show from many. So, I'm finally watching this. I enjoyed the first ep. as well. Loved the OST.
Jan 23, 2021 8:55 AM

May 2015
Reading the prologue of Matsuo Basho's "The Narrow Road to the Deep North" has made me think of Ginko and his lifestyle so I leave Basho's words here for you who are starting on the journey of this anime:

"The moon and sun are eternal travelers.
Even the years wander on.
A lifetime adrift in a boat, or in old age leading a tired horse into the years,
every day is a journey,
and the journey itself is home."
IshitatesoJan 23, 2021 9:00 AM
Jan 25, 2021 3:58 AM

Mar 2018
Felt as if I experienced a whole story arc in one episode.

Even after coming in with high expectations, reading reviews and thoughts on the show, this 1st episode lived up to it right off the bat. Looking forward to the rest of this journey.
Celest__Jan 25, 2021 10:45 AM
Mar 13, 2021 8:31 PM

Oct 2017
I suppose I am 13 years late... but better now than never.
Apr 6, 2021 10:48 AM
Sep 2013
As Ginko asked the boy to drink from the same cup as his grandmother did, I guess the kid now became a Mushi, too, right? That's why it was said no one never heard about him ever since.
Apr 17, 2021 9:03 AM

Jan 2017
This anime is really something else.
I was entranced at the Renzu's procession scene with the Mushi, the music and atmosphere was too calming.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
May 1, 2021 7:22 PM
Feb 2021
This anime is really good I didn't even feel the time passing:-----
May 6, 2021 10:51 PM
Oct 2019
a child forced to live all alone. a grandmother stuck in limbo, essentially forced to live all alone because no one else can see her. it's all kind of sad. and then them being reunited - or, introduced? - was moving

this had light vibes. or maybe i should say it was "easy" watching. like we were just floating along for the story/ride? it was straight forward and yet still compelling. idk, hard to describe, like what ginko was saying to the kid about his grandmother not understanding mushi that she can't herself see

but i do have to agree with some of the more critical reviews, too. for starters, did he turn that kid into a mushi? if so, why? and if he did, does that open op the possibility that ginko isn't a "good" character? the mushi said in 31 years her grandson will do whatever and they want her to look after him. 31 years? seems rather young for a grandmother but whatever, i'll let it go. i'm more interested in why they wanted her to look after him? just because he could create creatures? how did the mushi know the future? hmmm

and what's he doing with that wine dish? thief

(no spoilers, please)

that all said, i really enjoyed it. 7 or 8/10 first episode
HagePotPotatoMay 6, 2021 10:58 PM
Jun 3, 2021 9:43 PM
Jul 2020
Like I watched it and It was pretty good..I don't know how but it literally calmed my mood.. IT'S preety good and I'm definitely going to watch more Haha
Jun 29, 2021 8:35 AM

Jul 2019
This really brings me back to Discovery Channel days in fourth grade. Much more stranger and psychedelic than what younger me used to watch, but still has that lingering nostalgic feeling buried deep inside nonetheless.

I think I just found my new best friend for Saturday nights at 2 AM :)

9/10
Jul 13, 2021 7:09 PM

Oct 2013
Started to tear up near the beginning and spent the whole episode struggling against it until I broke down in the closing credits. I am always in awe of how beautiful and profoundly lonely this episode is.

Ishitateso said:
Reading the prologue of Matsuo Basho's "The Narrow Road to the Deep North" has made me think of Ginko and his lifestyle so I leave Basho's words here for you who are starting on the journey of this anime:

"The moon and sun are eternal travelers.
Even the years wander on.
A lifetime adrift in a boat, or in old age leading a tired horse into the years,
every day is a journey,
and the journey itself is home."

Thank you for sharing this.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 9, 2021 8:16 PM

Sep 2008
HagePotPotato said:
a child forced to live all alone.

but i do have to agree with some of the more critical reviews, too. for starters, did he turn that kid into a mushi? if so, why? and if he did, does that open op the possibility that ginko isn't a "good" character? the mushi said in 31 years her grandson will do whatever and they want her to look after him. 31 years? seems rather young for a grandmother but whatever, i'll let it go. i'm more interested in why they wanted her to look after him? just because he could create creatures? how did the mushi know the future? hmmm

and what's he doing with that wine dish? thief

(no spoilers, please)

that all said, i really enjoyed it. 7 or 8/10 first episode

I could only offer to answer some of these. The kid won't turn to mushi, I believe that's a whole ritual banquet process to it that needs to happen. Plus Ginko mentioned that this is just a celebratory sake (that being true in that situation).

If the grandma was 10 or 12 (she could pass for 13, Asians look young for their age lol) when the incident happened, in 31 years she would be 40. Maybe she married young, say 18 or 20. That would give her child enough time to grow up and marry young and have a child when the grandma is 40ish.

The mushi would want this kid to be protected because he can literally create mushis (implied that he can generally create anything "basic" to life) by drawing them. Now that could change the mushi-nature ecology considerably, without making the kid popular (as long as the kid lives in isolation), which answers another criticism offered by somebody a few posts up.

The wine dish, is just a souvenir LOL
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 14, 2022 1:54 AM

Aug 2019
Ahh...the music was so calming,felt bad for grandmother...now she is with shinra so its good...
Feb 9, 2022 12:29 PM
Nov 2020
calming. EP
I expect this anime to go sad
Mar 3, 2022 3:57 AM

Sep 2020
The animation is really good
Apr 23, 2022 12:56 AM

May 2019
Beautiful, surreal and touching. The nature vibes are relaxing.
Aug 16, 2022 9:48 PM
Apr 2021
Um episodio perfeito, ave maria!
Sep 10, 2022 9:15 PM
Jul 2021
Princess Mononoke vibes and quite artistic handling of Japanese mysticism. Easily a 9/10 for me. Apparently superior to some anime with similar premises.
Sep 11, 2022 1:30 PM
Jul 2021
anthrshttydy said:
JoexySun said:
Princess Mononoke vibes and quite artistic handling of Japanese mysticism. Easily a 9/10 for me. Apparently superior to some anime with similar premises.

Yeah it's pretty good but you might want to watch some more episodes before rating it a 9 from just one episode lol. I will never understand the urge to rate something very high or low based on one or two episodes.

Thanks for the heads-up. If you go to my ratings page, you will find that I haven't rated it yet. I just meant that EP1 is a 9 on my book. I am not the type of reviewer who gives very high scores to anything remotely likeable.
Oct 12, 2022 3:22 AM
Jul 2021
So, wait a minute, did the mc just murdered a tween boy? Like wtf? Or was the boy already "dead" I'm confused asf.

Aside that good mellow first episode.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Oct 17, 2022 6:57 AM

Sep 2008
Rewatched for the third time.

What I find odd that I missed before...a lot of episodes are actually allegorical and may have some meaning or purpose behind them. For this one, what made the kid an outlier or different from everyone else was seen as a curse, a burden by his own elders. I know a bit about how that feels, with your parents or guardian trying to protect you just because you're different, when what they're doing is stifling what makes you, you.
But why did the grandma do that exactly? because she lost a part of herself (childhood) and forgot her promise to preserve what is especial. All of this just leads to the sad situation of the kid being alone with unique abilities he is forbidden from using.

I don't think drinking the water would kill the kid, because a. he's special b. the ritual did not kill his grandma and the only reason she split was because the ritual was interrupted by a crow. She went on to live a perfectly healthy life although a part of her was missing until Ginko came and helped them recover it.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 27, 2022 3:28 PM

Aug 2022
Such a promising start. I'm not a fan of episodic anime, but I feel like I'm gonna love this one.
Jan 10, 2023 1:11 PM

Jun 2020
i got my ex boyfriend hooked to this show, he wouldn’t stop talking about how much of an impact it had on him. the soundtrack paired with the visuals and the simple teachings behind each episode, he loved it. he died on 01/07/23. he wanted to live so badly. i don’t think he made it past the 8-9th episode because of how he loved to rewatch it. rest in peace jasper, you wanted to live so badly yet your life was cut short. i will never be able to make it past the first few seconds of the opening without crying my heart out.
Jan 22, 2023 6:06 AM
Feb 2019
Absolutely peace and I felt so calm watching this. 
Rarely give a 5/5 the first ep but it's exception.
Mar 19, 2023 11:51 PM

May 2022
Already reached my high anticipations which I created subconsciously when I saw so many good reviews about it. o7

The op & ed song, the storytelling, the animation... everything is perfect.
Jinx_AraragiMar 20, 2023 12:26 AM
Mar 20, 2023 8:27 AM
Mar 2023
they give a good first impression
Apr 1, 2023 11:28 AM
Dec 2019
Why was this so good? I still can't find the answer.
Apr 10, 2023 9:37 PM
May 2017
beautiful show !!

Apr 14, 2023 9:40 AM

Jul 2016
The atmosphere of this show is so incredibly soothing, it's almost therepeutic.

Real talk tho it'd be pretty weird to meet your grandma in a form that's younger than you.
Sep 4, 2023 8:59 AM
Sep 2023
the animation style is relly good and its fun to watch
Sep 8, 2023 3:43 AM
Sep 2023
First impression so good. I re-watched this anime a lot
Oct 1, 2023 5:02 AM

Jun 2021
Oh the feels of classic anime. Since this is episodic, I'm going to take my time with this anime just as I did with Natsume. They have the same calming vibe and pretty interesting concept.
Nov 11, 2023 7:36 AM
Oct 2019
Second best episode 1 I have seen (#1 is To Your Eternity).
Nov 18, 2023 8:08 AM
May 2015
Beautiful story about trusting yourself and your spiritual sense, while also highlighting the beautiful bond of family. I really love this story and it's only the first episode.
Jan 3, 4:13 AM
Nov 2016
Fantastic first episode in ALL aspects, starting with a serene and beautiful opening, as well as what would come after it.

Narrative that attracts attention and a world with a lot of history to be explored, and in this world of Mushi's we follow Ginko, the protagonist. Mushi's master is, in fact, a master - as the episode goes on he shows himself to have vast knowledge about "creatures".

In addition to the magnificent character, there was the plot with Shinra, the boy who created life by drawing with his left hand, which is something rare and this is better covered in the episode. There was also the plot twist involving his grandmother, which further enriched such a beautiful narrative. Without a doubt, a perfect start and one that makes me have high expectations for what is to come, I hope they are met.
Mar 3, 8:23 AM
Oct 2023
it was a great ep; this show has a calming vibe to it. At first, I thought that it was a horror show but it had a smoothing vibe to it. This show is perfect before sleep. Will continue to watch it till the end.
Mar 5, 4:03 AM
Jan 2021
love itttttttttttt
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.