Forum Settings
Forums

Is it worth starting an anime DVD collection?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 12, 2014 11:33 PM

Nov 2013
If you have the money to buy good series than go ahead, I don't see the bad in it and as long as you watch the anime that you bough than great, I don't see any negatives.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 13, 2014 3:06 AM

Feb 2014
If it's what you want to do go for me, but for me I download all my anime since I always have my computer with me.
Jun 13, 2014 3:22 AM
May 2009
Jun 13, 2014 7:06 AM

Jun 2014
It depends on your feelings towards physical media. If you don't care to own physical copies of your entertainment, there isn't really a point in starting a collection. Many people are happy to just stream or download content, and that's a perfectly valid way to enjoy anime

I happen to enjoy purchasing DVD/Blu-Ray discs that I can re-watch. It gives me satisfaction to own a piece of art that I enjoyed and be able to enjoy it again if I'm so inclined.

Having a collection also makes it easier to show your favorite shows to others. You can just pop in a DVD/Blu-Ray and you're on your way.
Jun 13, 2014 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
Kirie_Himuro said:
ParaParaJMo said:
When I was young, I was afraid to tell stories of "in my day we had this," but this thread is proof that I am old and young people are spoiled if they think DVDs are expensive. DVDs are 400% cheaper than the VHS days.

I might not of bought anime on VHS, but I did own VHS so I grew up with it. We aren't all completely ignorant to having no internet either. Also, it doesn't change the fact it's still expensive regardless, not as expensive as it was as you mentioned, but for other people it is. If that makes us spoiled then so be it, but you're making yourself come off as being high and mighty in my opinion.

I'd go as far as calling it the pride of the elderly lol
Jun 13, 2014 7:18 AM

Jul 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
You have to ask yourself "is it worth it paying $40 a DVD to have all those covers on your shelves?"

Because lets be honest, other than to look at and show em off, there ain't any other real advantage as opposed to piracy.

Besides supporting an industry that you like but yeah
Jun 13, 2014 10:27 AM

Dec 2013
Unless you plan too re-watch the DVDs multiple times; it's a waste of money.
Jun 13, 2014 12:20 PM

Apr 2014
I think its worth it just so your supporting the shows you liked best, that being said I'd still only buy the cheap shit. Ain't no one got 60$+ for a 13ep season. My Max for 13 episode season is 25 bucks. I'd rather spend twice as much and get 10 manga I feel like I get more out of it.
Jun 13, 2014 4:50 PM
May 2007
Kirie_Himuro said:
ParaParaJMo said:
When I was young, I was afraid to tell stories of "in my day we had this," but this thread is proof that I am old and young people are spoiled if they think DVDs are expensive. DVDs are 400% cheaper than the VHS days.

I might not of bought anime on VHS, but I did own VHS so I grew up with it. We aren't all completely ignorant to having no internet either. Also, it doesn't change the fact it's still expensive regardless, not as expensive as it was as you mentioned, but for other people it is. If that makes us spoiled then so be it, but you're making yourself come off as being high and mighty in my opinion.

400% cheaper today compared to back then is still expensive? try japanese prices as well.
Jun 13, 2014 4:59 PM

Mar 2013
yes it is. now i am not saying you have to go out and do what i just did today and spend $150(after taxes) on the limited edition psycho pass BD boxset (totally worth it by the way) but you should not make piracy your go to way of watching anime.

i feel to many people who dont buy anime just here about people buying these insanely priced limited edition dvds and assume that they are all like that but in reality they arent. most of the dvds/BD in my collection were bought for under $35.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jun 13, 2014 5:00 PM
Mar 2013
nah you might as well continue pirating

it's only illegal in theory anyway
Jun 13, 2014 5:02 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:

no it is illegal because there is laws against it. there is no such thing as illegal in theory. if you try using that in court to defend yourself they'd throw the book at you
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jun 13, 2014 5:04 PM
Mar 2013
mattbenz99 said:
JD2411 said:

no it is illegal because there is laws against it. there is no such thing as illegal in theory. if you try using that in court to defend yourself they'd throw the book at you
if they threw the book at me I'd sue the judge for assault

and nobody in the history of Earth has gone to prison for torrenting anime so yes it is illegal in theory
Jun 13, 2014 5:06 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:

and nobody in the history of Earth has gone to prison for torrenting anime so yes it is illegal in theory
please use google because yes people have especially in america and japan

Jun 13, 2014 5:10 PM
Mar 2013
mattbenz99 said:
maybe you should use google because those people have only been sued and I clearly stated gone to prison
Jun 13, 2014 5:12 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:
maybe you should use google because those people have only been sued and I clearly stated gone to prison
so you are fine with being sued?

Jun 13, 2014 5:13 PM
Mar 2013
mattbenz99 said:
JD2411 said:
well yes because getting sued is cheaper than buying anime
Jun 13, 2014 5:15 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:
well yes because getting sued is cheaper than buying anime
really $250k lawsuit or fine or whatever it is is cheaper than actually buying anime? and either way you have proven my point that it is illegal

Jun 13, 2014 5:35 PM

Apr 2010
mattbenz99 said:
JD2411 said:

I found these entertaining reads.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/02/03/you-will-never-kill-piracy-and-piracy-will-never-kill-you/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/24/whatever-happened-to-the-war-on-piracy/
Jun 13, 2014 5:50 PM

Mar 2013
antonn said:
mattbenz99 said:

I found these entertaining reads.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/02/03/you-will-never-kill-piracy-and-piracy-will-never-kill-you/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/24/whatever-happened-to-the-war-on-piracy/
completely off topic. we were talking about if it is illegal or not (i know stupid argument) and if anyone has ever been caught before.

i have read these articles and agree with the fact that piracy will never disappear but that doesnt mean i will stop fighting it from spreading. our entire economy is based on the exchange of goods and services for money and if you dont pay then there is no way that the goods and services can be made. i am fine if people pirate for themselves but i hate it when people go out of their way and try and shame anyone who actually pays or tries to convert them to become a pirate because if this keeps happening and fewer and fewer people keep paying for their goods and services then how will they actually pay for the creation of them?

Jun 13, 2014 7:03 PM

Oct 2012
JD2411 said:

If you want to pirate go ahead, but at least don't try to justify it.

Jun 13, 2014 9:27 PM

Oct 2008
I think it is, I've been collecting anime and manga on and off for 9/10 years and I don't regret it. (when I started collecting you could still buy anime on VHS tapes lol)

That said, don't buy outside your means, if you can afford it without going broke, go for it :)
Jun 13, 2014 9:31 PM
Pokémon Master

Apr 2014
Personally, I would just buy my favorite series in extended, blu-ray.

But everyone has something they want to collect, so if you want to, go ahead! :)

Buuut, you should get a big bookshelf to store your anime collection and to show it off lol.
Jun 13, 2014 10:34 PM
Feb 2013
If you can afford it, sure I don't see why not.
Jun 13, 2014 10:55 PM

Oct 2013
Yes !!! def
[/quote]
Jun 14, 2014 1:52 AM

Jul 2012
I think it's definitely worth it, if you have the money for it. I like looking at my collection sitting on the shelf, they're all so pretty. Plus if you get an English dub, they normally come with the Japanese as well; a plus if you don't like Eng dub. I normally only buy anime that I really like though as they are quite expensive, although that's still quite a lot ahah.
Jun 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2012
My mother has a huge collection, and I plan on having my own someday.
Im not sure about a huge one, but every show/movie I rate an 8 or higher ill get.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Jun 14, 2014 2:25 AM

Jun 2013
I think its worth it if i really enjoyed it i would buy it. And i also buy it if its cheap.
Jun 25, 2014 4:40 AM

Sep 2013
I recently started collecting anime DVD's. It's my means of contributing to the economy, since I download/pirate stuff all the time... I gotta say though, eBay is really cheap regarding anime, especially those bought in Malaysia (With free shipping)...

It's kinda cool to own alot of anime, you can fill an entire bookshelf with it, and be proud of it. It's something I want, as soon as possible. (Currently only own like 10 animes or so, 7 should be arriving next month)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2014 10:49 AM

Jun 2007
Qreatix said:
I recently started collecting anime DVD's. It's my means of contributing to the economy, since I download/pirate stuff all the time... I gotta say though, eBay is really cheap regarding anime, especially those bought in Malaysia (With free shipping)...

DVDs from eBay + Malaysia = almost certainly bootlegs.
Jun 25, 2014 10:51 AM

Feb 2010
Zalis said:
Qreatix said:

DVDs from eBay + Malaysia = almost certainly bootlegs.

support the industry!
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 25, 2014 10:58 AM

Jul 2012
If you have the money

Just keep buying cheap DVDs or blurays and work your way up to the expensive ones .......I did it and I have a huge collection
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jun 25, 2014 11:14 AM

Mar 2008
If you want to support the industry, it definitely is.
Jun 25, 2014 11:42 AM

Aug 2009
Hard drive space is limited, and I've got money coming out of my ass.

Jul 31, 2015 12:56 AM
Jul 2015
Everyone has a hobby, I always wondered why I was saving money while in the military, I started watching anime when I joined and now I can't stop....yeah everyone says download but that has no meaning....granted it on youtube...buts it's much more when having the collection....I'm starting my collection if dvds manga, and clothing once I'm out.....I'm a freaking nerd in a Jocks body
Jul 31, 2015 1:05 AM

Jun 2008
Jorbeany said:
K so I've had this argument/debate with several of my friends whether me starting up an anime collection and buying them is "worth" it. My reason for starting a collection is, well, because I just want a collection haha. Also I feel that since I've watched so much anime via streaming sites for free , I should at least contribute a little since I've seen almost 300 series (yeah I know, I'm a pirate fag that's cancerous to the anime industry hurhurhur).

What are your opinions on starting a collection? If you think it is or it isn't, please give your reasons.

P.S - I've already bought Code Geass R1 and Death Note :^)

No is not. If you are gonna start a collection start a Blu-Ray collection.
Jul 31, 2015 1:24 AM
Jul 2018
Nah. Too expensive. If I did I would only buy my Top 5-10 favorites.
Jul 31, 2015 12:09 PM

Jun 2007
RedTie47 said:
If everybody did even that much, the industry would be in a much better state.
Jul 31, 2015 12:10 PM

Nov 2014
Old_Raven said:
DVDs? Probably not. Blu-ray disk collection, definitely worth it.

This, as long as you don't get carried away. I don't have a massive collection. I only buy my favorites.
Jul 31, 2015 1:22 PM

Feb 2015
I only buy stuff that I really like and would watch again. I'd say only about 20% of the anime I watch I want to own in physical form. Collecting is a good hobby the trick is to pack yourself with purchases and prioritise what you want most.
Jul 31, 2015 2:10 PM

Jul 2012
I usually buy the shows that I really enjoy and that I will watch a second time. Other than those titles, I buy well rated shows that I plan to watch. If I end up not liking them, I just sell them.
Jul 31, 2015 2:15 PM

Jun 2015
People supporting the industry is the only reason we have shows to watch.

Everyone should do their part.
Jul 31, 2015 2:21 PM

Jul 2013
lol no
Jul 31, 2015 3:07 PM
Dec 2014
Zalis said:
RedTie47 said:
If everybody did even that much, the industry would be in a much better state.

Why? My top ten favourite anime are all pretty old and long out of print.
If I were to buy them the money would go to ebay sellers- NOT anime studios.
Jul 31, 2015 4:51 PM

Jun 2014
aikaflip said:
Old_Raven said:
DVDs? Probably not. Blu-ray disk collection, definitely worth it.

This, as long as you don't get carried away. I don't have a massive collection. I only buy my favorites.

Please explain how you think collecting DVDs isn't worth it, but Blu-ray discs are?

Jul 31, 2015 4:59 PM

Apr 2015
To be honest, since I've seen the prices for them, not at all.

I'll forever watch anime online B3
Jul 31, 2015 5:33 PM

Nov 2012
I started collecting because i enjoy it. If you have some spare cash then just buy slowly and over time it builds.
Jul 31, 2015 5:38 PM

Aug 2013
I think it'd be pretty cool to have your favorite anime in your hands and ready to watch any time you want.
Jul 31, 2015 6:45 PM

Sep 2014
Uhh yeah?
Jul 31, 2015 7:36 PM

Oct 2012
I haven't really ever started a collection but I did buy some dvd's/BD's of anime that I liked. There is just a sort of simple happiness that comes from holding a physical copy in your hand. It's probably worth starting a collection if you have the money, but its probably just best to just build up your collection slowly. Maybe just buy an anime or two that you really like every season that you see licensed (Unless you're willing to import). Your collection will become a shelf before you even know it.
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

34 by Toooooooooohru »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

111 by girltokyo »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

81 by girltokyo »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
23 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.